Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Whyperion »

Numbers of infections reported down today, deaths moderate at less than 100, but numbers in hospital edge closer to 20000, seems to indicate that hospitals are managing to get some kind of effective treatments out now.

Immunity from Covid from the common cold. As discussed nigh on two years ago, the Common Cold viruses if recently infected do appear to hold a T cell memory that has an effect on the severity of Covid , it would appear from limited studies. BBC article though notes that only 20percent of colds are caused by a Coronavirus - we discussed that too, but I was not aware of the other types - most are Rhinovirus ( which differ in what way from the flat shelled fat encased Flu viruses ) , any other types known ?

Liverpool FC Manager claimed last week's high number of positive cases were false positives - how is this known ? (were PCRs at variance with LFT results).
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Whyperion wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 19:00 deaths moderate at less than 100,
The Evening Standard (and Worldometers) say tonight -

"The UK reported 379 Covid deaths on Tuesday as cases drop to 120,821, according to the latest government data.
The number of deaths recorded is the highest daily number of deaths since February 24 last year when 442 fatalities were reported. "
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thinking about the lag at weekend, would the weekly death toll be more reliable?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It seems to have escaped the media but former Health Secretary, Matt Hancock announced late last night that he had become infected with Covid again. Says he is less ill than he was first time, and urges all to get the vaccine. Make of that what you will. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Who has he kissed this time? :extrawink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 03:31 Thinking about the lag at weekend, would the weekly death toll be more reliable?
It's a couple of weeks behind but I tend to look at the ONS stats

In the week ending 31 December 2021 (Week 52), 8,477 deaths were registered in England and Wales; this was 4,536 fewer deaths than the previous week (Week 51) and 6.6% above the five-year average (523 more deaths).

The number of deaths registered in England in the week ending 31 December 2021 (Week 52) was 7,906; this was 4,249 fewer deaths than the previous week (Week 51) and 6.5% above the five-year average (485 more deaths).

The number of deaths registered in Wales in the week ending 31 December 2021 (Week 52) was 559; this was 269 fewer deaths than the previous week (Week 51) and 7.9% above the five-year average (41 more deaths).
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Is that deaths associated with Covid Kev?
On another matter I note that some jurisdictions are considering taxing anti vaccination people on the grounds that by refusing the jabs they are increasing expenses for people who have been vaccinated by placing higher demands on the health systems.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 04:29 Is that deaths associated with Covid Kev?
Website header says Latest data and analysis on coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK and its effect on the economy and society.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... nddiseases
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

France is easing restrictions on travellers, from the UK, entering the country on Friday

Restrictions on vaccinated people travelling from the UK to France are being relaxed, the country's tourism minister says.

Since 18 December most travellers from the UK who are not French residents or citizens have needed a "compelling reason" to go to France.

Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne wrote on Twitter the need for a "compelling reason" and to isolate for at least two days on arrival will end. He says the change comes into force tomorrow.

A negative test taken in the previous 24 hours will be required for entry.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 22:29
Whyperion wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 19:00 deaths moderate at less than 100,
The Evening Standard (and Worldometers) say tonight -

"The UK reported 379 Covid deaths on Tuesday as cases drop to 120,821, according to the latest government data.
The number of deaths recorded is the highest daily number of deaths since February 24 last year when 442 fatalities were reported. "
Yeah, much the same on Weds, and Thurs cases down, but deaths at 335, a pretty high correlation with the number of cases 14ish days ago , I hoped for nearer 200 deaths IF omicron is the main driver of hospitalisations and cases, looks like Delta is still around enough, with other reasons + omicron hitting the winter numbers. Hopefully the death trend is downwards when averaged. Given that schools are well back in mixing next week might be the most new typical.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

A word of warning... Mrs P had one of those over the garden fence chats this morning with our next door neighbour. Normally we hardly see them so to have them missing over Christmas came as no surprise. The real reason was that all four of them had contracted covid. Mom and dad with triple vaccinations and the kids with double vax and both with previous covid. None of them too seriously ill but enough to stop any serious activity like walk up the driveway. The message appears to be 'forget about immunity' there's still a big risk out there.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dead right Ken. Did you note how few were wearing masks at the snooker? Same applies in the supermarket and the shops. "They think it's all over" as Kenneth Wolstenholme famously said in the World Cup Final. Many may get a surprise like your family. Yes, it seems to be less serious than Delta but you and I don't want it until it is relegated to Winter Flu status and that's a long way off yet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Those people who think that children are safe from Covid-19 should take note of this. Children can suffer long-term health effects too...
`Covid: 'Fussy eaters' could have smell and taste disorder' LINK
`Children who have become "fussy eaters" could be displaying a post-Covid smell and taste disorder, experts said. Parosmia, a symptom where people experience strange smell distortions, is a well-documented side-effect in adults who have had Covid. The University of East Anglia (UEA) and charity Fifth Sense have created a guide to recognising it in children. "I expect there are a lot of parents at their wits' end and really worried," said Prof Carl Philpott of the UEA. "In many cases the condition is putting children off their food, and many may be finding it difficult to eat at all."...
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 03:45 Did you note how few were wearing masks at the snooker? Same applies in the supermarket and the shops.
Yes I did - but in France, where I believe mask wearing and general precautions are a lot stricter, had 464,769 new Covid cases today. alone. The Omicron variant seems to be very infectious.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think sometimes that we are the only ones noting the high figures David.
I went in to my TV and it was on BBC2 so I got a blast of the bowls at Potters Resorts. Apart from the players I think everyone was wearing a mask. Bowls fans more responsible? Or just older.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We knew that bird flu was here again but it now turns out to be more serious than we thought. While we've all been busy with Covid-19 we've missed the fact that animal viruses in general have suddenly become more common and more serious worldwide and, as yet, there's not enough evidence to explain why this is so. Also there is increased transmission to humans from those animals.
Listen to this Royal Veterinary College lady explaining the situation in this latest World Service episode of `Science in Action'. (The first part of the 30-minute programme is about Omicron then it switches to bird flu.)... World Service
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 23:40 in France, where I believe mask wearing and general precautions are a lot stricter, had 464,769 new Covid cases today. alone. The Omicron variant seems to be very infectious.
I notice Liverpool FC Manager claimed that there were a high number of false positives in the testing the team members had gone through a couple of weeks ago, Is the test (for omicron ) too sensitive, or was the manager wrong in that statement (I would have thought accross a population a 10 to 20 percent of positives are false positives for the virus itself , (particulary if you are testing for antibodies), but that is probably balanced by the numbers not tested !
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard that report about the Bird Flu cull and realised that it has been virtually ignored by the censors of our daily news.Are we being conned?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard a senior manager from the NHS questioning the retreat from Plan B next week. I share his misgivings. I think it's more a smoke screen to take attention off Johnson.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We were allowed back to volunteering at my local hospital today . Wearing ‘the new look’, goggles, face mask and face shield. This will change next week to P2 Respirator Mask and goggles. They are thinking of introducing a RAT before each shift for volunteers too 🙁
C10C4C42-2852-40B6-9FCA-99BFA9ED146C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Why does that make me think of Darth Vader? :extrawink:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

That’s what my daughter said
B8547249-2429-4CF9-99EE-3649CB5F40BD.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Dr John Campbell ( Covid deaths) has spoken of some recent stats of people who died of Covid whilst not having any co-morbidities. They are the result of a FOI request. I've watched a couple of his explanatory videos, and he seems genuinely shocked by the figures. The deaths have always been quoted as those of people who died within 28 days of a positive test. These figures separate out those who died for other reasons.

Seems the average age of this cohort at death was 82 years, whilst life expectancy for the whole population at the same time was 79 years. He says the figures were revealed a month ago, and he is surprised that they have attracted so little media coverage.

I think I saw similar figures to those over 18 months ago, not long after the start of the pandemic, but then the main stream categorised them as being the words of covid sceptics and the like. Perhaps it indicates that the initial 'protect the vulnerable then go for herd immunity' strategy might have been the right way to go after all. The projected number of deaths from Imperial College put a stop to that.

There's plenty for a future enquiry to get into. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's all far too complicated for an old fart like me, I don't even know what a RAT is.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”