Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Cathy »

Rapid Antigen Tests are the same as your Lateral Flow Tests.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Cathy, I thought it might be that.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Things move swiftly in this game. I read just yesterday that there is a new variant of concern called BA 2. Now today I read that it is 'spreading like wildfire'.

Covid BA 2 variant

Bad timing for our relaxation of all measures, but inevitable I suppose. Early days, but said to be mild. Hope so. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

New variants are appearing all the time and BA2 has been under investigation by UKHSA since 10th January. Latest info (21st Jan) is here.... LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And, if I have understood correctly, new variants will continue to sprout until more of the world is vaccinated.
A way of cutting down on the variants seems bleeding obvious.
Hands up everyone who is going to continue to wear a mask and practice distancing......
Is this trickle of new variants the 'New Normal'?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

What a upside down world we live in. First there's a lethal virus out there and its very contagious so wear masks limit your exposure and work from home. Large gatherings are limited and even then proof of vaccination is required, (unless you work at No10), In fact unless you are vaccinated you could get the push from your job in a care home or NHS. A couple of months later its 'back on your heads'. No masks, no proof of vaccination for large venues, if you work for the government you must work in the office, but still face the sack from care homes and NHS. Freedom Day Mark 2. looks more like 'Save Big Dog' while into the valley of death rode the lower orders.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very well expressed Ken. That's exactly what I am thinking.
None of the basic problems like bed-blocking due to lack of social care have been addressed. Compulsory vaccinations in the NHS have been put on hold until the full effect of Omicron is understood.
Meanwhile masks seem to be becoming the exception rather than the rule. I shall keep wearing mine and practising social distance.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I caught a bit on the radio this morning which seemed to say that we are missing infections now due to the recent changes to the testing regime and therefore the numbers quoted are too low and don't reflect the real situation. That's convenient for those who are telling it's all over now! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite! That wouldn't surprise me at all Peter. Sunak has the upper hand now Johnson is under attack and the Treasury will win every battle of Covid protection versus effect on the economy.
For a simple example look at the pressure Quasi Kwarteng is applying to civil servants, he wants them back at their desks and buying coffee at lunch time. The urban economy is in ruins and must be rebuilt. (At no cost to the Treasury.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

For any `over-50 or younger adult with underlying health condition' and `has tested positive for Covid and had symptoms develop in the previous five days' here's a chance to join a study of a new covid treatment. Of course there is no guarantee you won't end up with the placebo!...
`Thousands needed to try a new Covid antiviral treatment' LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Apparently the new variant doesn't have a spike protein that can be detected by current tests. Boris is abandoning the tests anyway unless you are prepared to pay for them. Effectively abandoning the country to the herd immunity model.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's the safest course for him as long as he can stave off the enquiry into government conduct. Remember the Eye article 'Profits of Doom'.
There's another in this weeks Eye; 'Primer Suspect' which examines the case of Primerdesign and a 'three gene' PCR test that was commissioned but failed. In effect another scam.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I watched Sajid Javez telling us that it's all over and we don't need to wear masks, crowded clubs and public occasions are OK now. Sorry, I don't believe a word of it. I think it's a political and economic decision and the government has decided to gamble on Omicron not killing us off. I shall continue to be as cautious as I have been for the last two years.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I noticed the BBC have added an extra sentence in their Covid deaths announcements. Those I've heard on the radio, over the last few days, indicate a lot of the hospital covid deaths were actually admitted for something else. A lot of the newspapers are still 'sensationalising' the case numbers which is scaremongering at it's best. Yes, there is a new virus out there and it's still very active and mutating, as do other viruses we've lived with for years. Personally, and this is my opinion only, I'm comfortable going to the theatre, restaurants and I'm on a cruise ship in a couple of weeks. I now feel the risks to me, from catching covid, are no worse than catching flu, a cold or a stomach bug. I wear a mask in shops out of courtesy as a lot of them request it and I still clean the supermarket trolley handle on the way in (you never know where the previous user has had their hands). I am currently still working from home which is a personal choice too, my employer has not insisted I return to the office yet and I will resist doing so as it's saving me 60 miles a day travelling (eventually I will have to return to one day a week in the office). I've put my trust in medical science and the vaccines I've had and have restored a lot of 'normality' in my life.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Agreed.in fact on Sunday I shall be going tp watch tge STRICTLY COME DANCING show in Manchester, a ticket carried over from last year. I am wary, I may catch covid, but I am not frightened, as I was last October when I decided not to go to what would have been my chance ever to see Cliff Richard live. I had had the ticket for two years, then the pandemic struck so it was postponed a year, when the time came round to use it, I was worried. There was a new strain, they were only talking about boosters, they had not approved the antiviral drugs. Its a different ball game now. If my immune deficient brother has suffered little more than a lost voice, I too feel I can trust in Science .
Last edited by Sue on 28 Jan 2022, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I believe the recognised terminology is 'bugger' covid.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

:laugh5:
Big Kev wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 09:35 I believe the recognised terminology is 'bugger' covid.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 09:31 Agreed.in fact on Sunday I shall be going tp watch tge STRICTLY COME DANCING show in Manchester, a ticket carried over from last year.
Not my bag but my sister-in-law went to one of those shows and thoroughly enjoyed it :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 09:03 Those I've heard on the radio, over the last few days, indicate a lot of the hospital covid deaths were actually admitted for something else.
The problem is that for those over 65 they usually have 'something else'. Suffering from any of these co-morbidities is not to be sneezed at. Being triple vaccinated certainly reduces the risk in a similar way that driving 60 miles per day less reduces the risk of accident. It all depends where you stand on the scale of things. I still go for a swim knowing the group of similarly aged people who go at that time but I would not stand cheek by jowl at a pub bar. Horses for courses as Tripps may say. :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 09:48
Big Kev wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 09:03 Those I've heard on the radio, over the last few days, indicate a lot of the hospital covid deaths were actually admitted for something else.
The problem is that for those over 65 they usually have 'something else'. Suffering from any of these co-morbidities is not to be sneezed at. Being triple vaccinated certainly reduces the risk in a similar way that driving 60 miles per day less reduces the risk of accident. It all depends where you stand on the scale of things. I still go for a swim knowing the group of similarly aged people who go at that time but I would not stand cheek by jowl at a pub bar. Horses for courses as Tripps may say. :biggrin2:
Perfectly understandable but, I believe, covid now entails the same amount of risk as any of the other respiratory conditions (my opinion) and will potentially impact those with underlying conditions in the same way flu or a heavy cold would. Everything is risk based, we all subconsciously carry out a risk assessment before we do most things. Pre covid, those in a 'higher risk' group would be assessing whether it would be safe to do certain things and should carry on doing so. As the Omicron variant symptoms appear to be much less severe than the common cold I, personally, don't feel at risk from the impact of catching it. I fully understand that it could mutate, to producing more serious symptoms, I'll cross that bridge if it comes to it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 09:43
Sue wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 09:31 Agreed.in fact on Sunday I shall be going tp watch tge STRICTLY COME DANCING show in Manchester, a ticket carried over from last year.
Not my bag but my sister-in-law went to one of those shows and thoroughly enjoyed it :good:
I have been for several years, i go with a group of neighbours, follow it up with a meal out. A nice girls night out, except you can tell our age as we go to the afternoon performance. Its always a good show, very well produced .
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 09:48
As I said , a year ago my brother would have died, things change. I believe it is now up to the individual to protect themselves and others, how you do that is personal choice, but I think carrying on at a high level of control would result in mayor issues across economics and other health care problems, dentists foe example, cancer treatment for example. People’s health issues are always at risk of any illness becoming serious.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-60161124
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 12:12 People’s health issues are always at risk of any illness becoming serious.
I've lived with numbers long enough to know that in life there is no simple binary answers. It used to be called 'Sod's Law' but now its quantum entanglement. Thankfully we don't live in Russia or North Korea where the State governs every move but equally as you have pointed out previously we need informed opinion and not half baked headlines that may change to sell more column inches. Hopefully I'm here for the long run and planning my course of action to keep the life expectancy numbers as high as possible. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As Ken says, "The problem is that for those over 65 they usually have 'something else'."
I'm 86 in a fortnight and have 'something else' so the thought of catching Covid frightens me. Like Ken, I shall be doing my best to push the life expectancy figures up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

You've assessed the risk and made your personal choice, nowt wrong with that. I'm under 65 with 'something else' and have also made a personal choice :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”