Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

PanBiker wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 09:45 My PCR swab test is sorted and in the fridge waiting for the courier to collect today. I received a text to say that it would be between 11am and 3pm. :smile:
Well, that was a waste of time. I completed my 20 minute online questionnaire that was part of the deal which indicated that I had done the test. Stayed in all day and the courier didn't turn up. The whole point of using a courier pick-up is so that your sample arrives at a lab in a timely manner. It's still in the fridge but will be useless now. No further texts from the courier to say they called and missed me or indeed any card through the door.

I'm going to go on the survey website and see if there is a feedback option. :sad:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I went to the Taunton racecourse yesterday and had my second AZ vaccination. Appointment 3.20, arrived 3.05 and out before 3.20! They'd just opened up a second building because they were so busy and I seemed to be the first one in. A nurse grabbed me as I went in but another nurse sent her away and said "He's mine". I'm not used to being fought over by the ladies but I think the truth is that they had a fixed order and had to start at the end cubicle nearest the exit. I felt a very slight tenderness in my arm after the jab but so far no other side effects... :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I found a link to email the IPSOS research team. I sent them my reference and experience. Got an immediate auto mail response telling me how to register to take part and what it involved!

I took part in their first study last year and it all worked seamlessly. Probably the courier employees with too heavy a workload.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Courier has just been and taken my sample. Apparently it is still valid if it has been refrigerated. No contact, placed in a plastic box at arms length and the collection vans are refrigerated. As I type this I have just had a call from Joe at IPSOS in response to my email asking if I want to book a recollection. I said it has just been collected and asked if the sample was still viable. He confirmed that it was, 72 hours if refrigerated. So all not as bad as assumed. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I guess we've all been expecting this, even if Boris wants us to believe the `sunlit uplands' are just around the corner...
`Covid: Government scientist warns of summer surge in cases' LINK
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

( I think you are in for a third wave and it is unavoidable).😞
Pelt me with soft fruit or eggs, not stones, please!😞
You haven’t locked your borders firmly enough, despite all the good you have done with lockdown and vaccinations.

I shall no doubt get crucified for such comment.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Of course, that was always on the cards with the lifting of restrictions. All the population is not vaccinated yet and we are still allowing more contact. Look at the IOM, just about everyone is vaccinated over there and they have had a strict border control. Open it up as they had cleared all the cases and two days later they have more. Commentator hit the nail on the head and it is what we have been saying on here for twelve months. You cannot eradicate this virus, it and and it's variants are here to stay just like flu. We just have to learn to live with it and mitigate the effects with vaccines the best we can.

A comment on my Imperial College survey sample picked up a day late yesterday. I had three phone calls on my mobile yesterday. One from IPSOS, another from the courier company and yet another one from someone different at IPSOS. All checking that my sample had been collected. :surprised:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian is right, we will stop talking about 'waves' when we eventually accept that Covid is going to be our constant companion from now on and anywhere that relaxes vigilance is going to have a spike. The size of that spike will depend on the effectiveness of the vaccination. Just like any of the older viruses like measles and rubella. They are 'spiking' because of relaxation of immunisation.
SeeTHIS for another consequence of lockdown. And wonder why people take risks like this.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here's good news - at least the over-50s know what's good for them! But the 80% uptake among care home staff needs sorting out...
`Covid: Vaccine uptake among over-50s hits 95% in England' LINK
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

True to form we have now taken belated action and placed India on the red travel ban list. Pakistan has been on this list since the 9th April. Perhaps Boris has looked at his maps and found that India is next door to Pakistan. A fantastic preemptive restriction. Well done Boris.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Sadly, that is what I was referring to Plaquey.
We are not immune...unfortunately we have also let them in.
This is going to take some SORTING!
I wish we were more pro-active rather than having to react to these problems.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Politicians in Parliament agitate for easing of restrictions when it is obvious that no easing can take place until vaccination is more widespread and this includes poor nations. The next big argument is going to be about whether a rich nation vaccinates everyone before it gives vaccine away free to poorer nations. This has to be done to reduce the pool of virus and hence its ability to mutate and it is these mutations that will get us. Exactly like the flu vaccines each year. We forget that seasonal flu has killed many more than Covid and we live with that. We have to drive Covid into the same manageable box.
Meanwhile, Margaret tells me that they have a 3 day lockdown in Perth. Not too sure how effective a 3 day lockdown is....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

While talking about the India situation and the `India variant' on radio this morning an Indian official made a very sensible comment: "I keep telling everyone not to panic about new variants, they can all be avoided by masking".
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard him as well Peter.
Margaret tells me that there has been another case in WA.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Tizer wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 09:03 While talking about the India situation and the `India variant' on radio this morning an Indian official made a very sensible comment: "I keep telling everyone not to panic about new variants, they can all be avoided by masking".
I think you are kidding yourself Tiz! ( you think that a “sensible” comment?) 🙄
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 09:03 "I keep telling everyone not to panic about new variants, they can all be avoided by masking".
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just had a thank you email from IPSOS, my sample for the survey has been tested an has come back negative. :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Tripps wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 11:04
Tizer wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 09:03 "I keep telling everyone not to panic about new variants, they can all be avoided by masking".
Why does that have a 2020 date above it?
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Because that's the date that he said it.

Source - The Manchester Guardian -

Here's what's happening in Japan where masks are worn routinely in the street - they don't seem to have protected the people there.

Japan on Friday declared a state of emergency in Tokyo and three other regions, just three months before the country is supposed to host the Olympics.

“Today we decided to declare a state of emergency in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hyogo prefectures,” the prime minister, Yoshihide Suga, announced, citing the rise of infections involving new virus variants.
Japan’s restrictions come just three months before the country is due to host the Olympics Photograph: Franck Robichon/EPA
The country’s minister for virus response, Yasutoshi Nishimura, earlier warned of a “strong sense of crisis”, saying current restrictions were not sufficient.

The measure will run from 25 April to 11 May, coinciding with the annual Golden Week holiday, Japan’s busiest travel period. Authorities want bars and restaurants to stop selling alcohol or close, and to shutter major commercial facilities like malls.

Spectators will be barred from sports events, which can continue behind closed doors, and remote working will be encouraged.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with Peter Maz. The man from India was exceptionally clear and what he said was sensible. Have you listened to him? Or are you just responding based on your own beliefs? An open mind is a good asset when there is a big problem to solve. A good example was the decision made here to concentrate action on first doses and accept a delay to second ones. Screams of protest and outrage all over the globe saying it was a 'bad thing'. Now that time has proved it was the correct course everyone has gone strangely quiet. The scientists kept an open mind, listened to the advice and made a decision that undoubtedly has saved lives.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I am not sure what exactly you are referring to, Stanley. Was it the video or the comment that was made referring to the radio.
I haven’t watched the video. It seemed to be12 months old and I think we would expect any advice from back then to be out of date.
Or are you referring to the comment made on the radio ( and related by Tiz) about not getting worried about the Indian Variant and masks being effective?
India is not doing great at the moment! Masks are not going to help without the most important thing that we can do world wide and that is to social distance and maintain great hygiene. I would hate to think that people would believe you can fare better by simply worrying less and wearing a mask. That was the aim of my comment in reply to the statement/sentences written on the screen. Terrible scenes coming out of India, where many are keeping vigil of their loved ones, locked outside hospitals and begging for Oxygen ( and not a lot of masks being worn at all).
You often jump on me for my comments Stanley. What I responded to was simply the words (by Tiz) on screen and it really has nothing to do with you - thus my comment wasn’t directed at you. Sorry if that offends. ( but I prefer it if you just ignore me)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I agree with Peter Maz"
There's a bit of a clue there Maz.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Stanley wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 03:18 . Have you listened to him? Or are you just responding based on your own beliefs
Guess what? There is another clue! ( you asked me a direct question, and I answered)😎
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Anyway! ( moving on) :biggrin2: let’s all keep social distancing and washing our hands and wearing masks AND try not to worry .

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”