Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 07:39 "I remember thinking it was strange to order something that didn’t exist yet"
No doubt on the advice of the scientists and as it turned out a brilliant move.
Would Labour have done the same ? When we say scientists it appears its basically being one or two people at the start from research universities (wonder how the Russians and Chinese got their research from), Its possible in cutting some of the pandemic response funding that the vaccine route was the last chance they had.
Cathy wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 04:42 There’s a lot of people asking how long the COVID-19 Vaccine will last Stanley.
Seems to be Six months for a strong immune response. Which means you could probably do the UK, but would then need the country isolated from everywhere else, ( read Aus.NZ and other smaller countries)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Amber List Travel : Why are people confused ?
The Govt seems to get the blame for confusing people, Its a civil service thing actually the way the rules are drafted. It is seen that some people NEED (as opposed to desire) to travel to other countries (dont know if that SHOULD include work - like Journalists, Govt Officials), for reasons like support of a family member. That individuals appear to interpret this allowance within Covid-Protection restrictions on otherwise British Rights to Travel Freely as a reason to fly (or sail off) on a Jolly sums up really average mentality (and probably why working persons vote conservative).
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Whyperion wrote: 20 May 2021, 11:38 Amber List Travel : Why are people confused ?
The Govt seems to get the blame for confusing people, Its a civil service thing actually the way the rules are drafted. It is seen that some people NEED (as opposed to desire) to travel to other countries (dont know if that SHOULD include work - like Journalists, Govt Officials), for reasons like support of a family member. That individuals appear to interpret this allowance within Covid-Protection restrictions on otherwise British Rights to Travel Freely as a reason to fly (or sail off) on a Jolly sums up really average mentality (and probably why working persons vote conservative).
Yes it is absolutely clear. You cannot travel to amber countries for leisure, only work, severe family illness or a funeral. Thats what tge government website says. Just because another country says we can travel there it doesn’t mean we can under our own restrictions. There is a lot of false reporting. We were told today we can go to France because we have a home there. No we can’t, its not our main home, but that is not what is reported or the way questions are phrased.

Anyway, who wants to travel to a country with a higher rate of infection than our own. I don’t get it.
If you keep searching you will find it
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Sue, apparently about 27% of persons who responded to a survey want to go abroad on holiday. I am not certain that other countries are letting most leisure travellers in - I think one of the Daily Mail websites was saying Spain would let in holiday makers in about three weeks.

Ohh, Grant Shapps says the queue closeness leaving heathrow should not be happening, but its not a problem as everyone flying has been tested anyway, and they will be separated where terminals have space, in three weeks (is 21 days a special number to the govt,? its about the time for the train season reforms happening) - maybe 21 is half of 42 so you get some kind of answer.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sadly there are still a number of people who think the rules don't apply to them. If the government imposed restrictions as strictly enforced rules (which I think they should) there would be some who would be whining about an infringement of their civil liberties.
One of my work colleagues is constantly looking into ways around not doing lateral flow tests before going into the office, apparently someone told him it was illegal to make him register a negative test before being allowed entry. He tried to convince me (not that I have any intention of going), after my response he's stopped talking to me :biggrin2:

There have been several reports of people, currently in hospital with Covid issues, who were eligible for the vaccine and chose not to. The reports I heard were that Hancock was almost saying 'serve you right', to a point I have to agree. As controversial as that may sound to some, if there's something you can do (have a vaccination) to protect yourself and, in the long term, others I can't see why you wouldn't (medical conditions allowing of course).
I'll get off my soap box now :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 20 May 2021, 16:49 Yes it is absolutely clear. You cannot travel to amber countries for leisure,
I find on google -
"Common questions
Can I go on holiday to an amber country?
Flying to an amber list country for a holiday isn't illegal - but it remains deeply frowned upon. Until Monday, travelling without good reason was illegal - and you could be fined a great deal of money for doing it."

It was reported on LBC this morning that 270.000 people intended to do just that by Sunday. There'll be a lot of frowning then. I think we are reaching a critical stage when many people have had enough of restrictions, and will do as they please. I remain hopeful, but pessimistic for the future.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev no need to apologise for stating the obvious. Getting vaccinated is, like wearing a mask, a public service because it lessens the risk of others getting your infection or you spawning a variant.
Sue, google is right. Not illegal to travel to 'amber' countries but frowned on. The 'heavy fines' bit was cleared up later when it was refined to getting fined for not isolating at home for the required period. Not for travelling.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its back to advise and not illegal of course. But I don’t know how people can afford all that extra money for tests any way!
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite, and from reports, ours are the highest charges in Europe. Someone is making money out of the pandemic. (Surprise, surprise!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

AZ number 2 today. Appointments are 10 minutes apart but they let us in together for the first one... Best find some change for the car park :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Great news Kev. Now you'll be able to entertain kids by sticking fridge magnets to your arm! :extrawink:
`Covid Vaccines: Could they be magnetic?' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 22 May 2021, 08:44 Great news Kev. Now you'll be able to entertain kids by sticking fridge magnets to your arm! :extrawink:
`Covid Vaccines: Could they be magnetic?' LINK
:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Done
20210522_122241.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

On the day that Spain opened its borders to British travellers, and Germany closed its borders to British travellers, I was going to put this in the jokes thread -
York Covid.jpg

Then I came across this. New Yorkshire mutant

Show me 'confused'. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Just as I was getting used to B1.617,2 they come up with VUI-21MAY-01 or AV.1. Could use it as a computer password but by the time I remember it thousands of people will have had it and using it.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I'm still adjusting to 'travellers' now meaning 'all kinds of people who travel' rather than the recently, more usual, 'members of the travelling community'. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like the Yorkshire virus....

Pub in Stockport market place in 1979 David. Were they ahead of the times or behind them?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Other than a 'heavy' arm we both appear to have no side effects from the 2nd AZ jab, good stuff.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good Kev, but don't clap too soon, some reactions to the jab seem to take a bit longer to materialise.

This is off piste, sorry. I was looking at the traveller pic and noticed something on the left hand side of the cill. I opened the original scan of the neg, zoomed in and scratched my itch, it's a box of matches and a 5 pack of small cigars (Or the empty packaging.) :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 23 May 2021, 07:38 Other than a 'heavy' arm we both appear to have no side effects from the 2nd AZ jab, good stuff.
Still good, I must be lucky :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I wonder what the new NI DUP leader, Edwin Poots, thinks about viruses, pandemics and vaccines? He believes Earth was created in 4000 BC and rejects the theory of evolution.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The NHS are on the ball, the app has updated my vaccination record, effectively my 'vaccine passport'
20210524_125616.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I can't find vaccination info on my app Kev. Where do you find it?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Mine just showed up on the home page Wendy, I use EMIS' Patient Access.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Ah I see, thought you meant the NHS Covid app! Yes, found it now thanks. 🙂

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”