Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Sue »

Suggest (maybe for both persons) Try a different LFT test manufacturer, I find some of the older ones were more difficult to use and the drip out mechanism didnt work properly compared with others....

Maybe but we are still using the government free ones, we stocked up of the newer type which we find very easy to use indeed. If it doesn't come out you don’t even get the red control line. We had that a few times on the older ones where the serum did not come in a sealed tube. The control lines have been very clear indeed. . Bob is getting better, it seems Keith has a very typical streaming cold but they are monitoring it.
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 12:05 The latest infection survey shows that 1.7million people, 1 in 35, contracted Covid last week.
And how many got a cold, do you know. I bet it was more. To a vulnerable person a cold can be as bad as covid
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

My point being there is an obsession with reporting covid and not other illnesses that can be serious for the vulnerable
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

We are all doomed. Covid BA5. He mentions masks at about 9 min 30 secs into the video.

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well that's got the weekend off to a cheery start. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water. :smile:
plaques wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 19:21 He mentions masks at about 9 min 30 secs into the video.
Yes he does but he refers to "high quality FFP2 or FFP3 medical masks, whilst Van Tam refers to 'face coverings' A big difference.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I refuse to be panicked by any of them. Sue is right of course about the common cold but this is slightly more serious than that.
Nobody has mentioned the runny nose I get these days at the strangest moments. Should I be worrying about this?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 02:09 I refuse to be panicked by any of them. Sue is right of course about the common cold but this is slightly more serious than that.
Nobody has mentioned the runny nose I get these days at the strangest moments. Should I be worrying about this?
No you should not be or will be worry the rest of your life away. Keith has a very bad cold that has gone to his chest as it is prone to the few times he gets a cold. Wendy phoned the Doctor who actually came out to see him. The announcement is that it is NOT Covid but a very bad chesty cold. Last time Keith was like this was pre covid. In both cases the doctor was concerned about the chest infection becoming pneumonia....so colds can be as serious as covid. Bob has now reached the bunged up stage of whatever he has, which he too thinks is a cold probably picked up from one of the children when he was doing the train at the park.

I have given up listening to the covid 19 app information. I think he too has become one of the doom and gloom brigade. The push to create a new research website enlisting the public when there are already so many around makes me wonder wether the site is fighting to prove its existence.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 06:25 I think he too has become one of the doom and gloom brigade. The push to create a new research website enlisting the public when there are already so many around makes me wonder whether the site is fighting to prove its existence
If you are referring to Tim Spector - then I agree.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm going to be masking up again in shops etc. We've both missed covid so far and I don't want to get it now. I note the comment: "I think it's far from a bad cold," says Prof Susan Hopkins, from the UK Health Security Agency, who says people are "ill for between seven and 10 days".
`Covid is rising again in the UK - should we worry?' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I noticed on a short visit to Aldi yesterday that there were a lot more folk wearing masks again. Government is reluctant to make it mandatory again but I reckon folk will make up their own minds.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There's been a lot of Pride events over this last week, I would imagine there'll be a few more cases of all sorts over the next couple of weeks. Coughs, colds and the inevitable covid.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm noticing the same thing Ian and it can't do any harm.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tripps wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 10:13
Sue wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 06:25 I think he too has become one of the doom and gloom brigade. The push to create a new research website enlisting the public when there are already so many around makes me wonder whether the site is fighting to prove its existence
If you are referring to Tim Spector - then I agree.
Yes👍
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 09:45 I noticed on a short visit to Aldi yesterday that there were a lot more folk wearing masks again. Government is reluctant to make it mandatory again but I reckon folk will make up their own minds.
Isn’t that what we were advised to don
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yes, Sue, it's what we were advised to do but unfortunately many people (not OGers) seem incapable of making up their own minds. And if you do wear a mask some people think you must be doing it because you're infected. But I'll be wearing mine wherever I think there's a risk. :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

What I have noticed is the majority, that are wearing a face covering, appear to be using it as a chin support. A rather pointless exercise if you ask me.
Personally I have chosen not to wear one unless requested (Drs surgery, hospital etc). Common sense means I keep my distance from the coughing and sputtering people and very crowded places anyway to avoid any potential diseases.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'd perhaps be doing the same as you, Kev, if I didn't have restricted breathing. For me the risk is too great.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 09:25 I'd perhaps be doing the same as you, Kev, if I didn't have restricted breathing. For me the risk is too great.
Perfectly understandable.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am lucky enough to have good breathing but I recognise that at my age it's more sensible to follow Peter and be perhaps over cautious. I always remember how prevalent mask-wearing was in many countries in the Far East even before Covid.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 09:22 What I have noticed is the majority, that are wearing a face covering, appear to be using it as a chin support. A rather pointless exercise if you ask me.
Personally I have chosen not to wear one unless requested (Drs surgery, hospital etc). Common sense means I keep my distance from the coughing and sputtering people and very crowded places anyway to avoid any potential diseases.
Me too, but it is very rare that I go in crowded places because i hate crowds and always have I always have a mask with me but do find them very difficult to breathe in. I still managed to catch that awful non covid virus infection in Portugal despite wearing a mask all the time, except when eating. I gather masks are required again on the ferry to France. That is a place where I would have worn one anyway
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 03:47 I am lucky enough to have good breathing but I recognise that at my age it's more sensible to follow Peter and be perhaps over cautious. I always remember how prevalent mask-wearing was in many countries in the Far East even before Covid.
I believe that was a pollution issue, the mask acting as a particulate filter.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I’ve been trying to put part of a quote in from Sue, but making a mess of it.
Re masks on ferries
We came back Calais to Dover two weeks ago and it wasn’t mandatory then, very few people wearing them, and the ferry both ways was quite quiet.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Gloria wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 07:54 I’ve been trying to put part of a quote in from Sue, but making a mess of it.
Re masks on ferries
We came back Calais to Dover two weeks ago and it wasn’t mandatory then, very few people wearing them, and the ferry both ways was quite quiet.
The regulations changed this week Gloria. The wording is something like ‘strongly advise’. As it is a french company it depends on french law to make it compulsory. French law apparently has just brought back, strongly advised to wear a mask on public transport. On the other hand from this week Portugal has even removed the need for a vaccination certificate
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 03:47 I always remember how prevalent mask-wearing was in many countries in the Far East even before Covid.
That's one of the reasons it took a longer time for Covid to gain a hold in Japan. The other is that they greet people by making a little bow and don't go in for all the Western hand-shaking, hugging, kissing and whooping! :smile:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The other is that they greet people by making a little bow and don't go in for all the Western hand-shaking, hugging, kissing and whooping! :smile:

So that's why I never caught it is it? and there's me thinking it was because I had that sort of face that frightened babies. :biggrin2:

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”