Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

chinatyke
Donor

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by chinatyke »

Singapore have announced that they are going to treat Covid as endemic, which is essentially what UK are doing.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Coincidentally I wrote the following in the Attention thread before I saw Tripps' post...

In the past our elected representatives would have been shouting about lacking confidence in the government and demanding a change. They seemed to have given up representing us when they failed to explain what a shambles Brexit would be. How are we going to get a better government?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think that's a pretty fair summation David. Many people are ignoring masks already.
Personally I don't see what the justification is for relaxing anything today. But what do I know about pandemics. (It looks like the start of another spike to me....)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Masks are still a requirement at Barnoldswick Medical Centre, a good move in my opinion.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Its taken over 12 months to drum into people that wearing a mask protects others from the infection you may be carrying. We then hope that this action will be reciprocated by them wearing a mask to protect you from their infection. The buffoon's freedom day appears to have turned this on its head inferring that if you want to be safe wear a mask. NO, No, No, if you want to be safe get the buggers with the infection to wear a mask.

All people, NHS, libraries, shops etc who come into contact with large numbers of people through their working day deserve our respect to protect them from the virus. It is not a courtesy to wear them its a moral duty.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

What time does the pandemic finish today? :extrawink:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 08:21 NO, No, No, if you want to be safe get the buggers with the infection to wear a mask.
Yes, and we need someone to tell the government that we're not the problem, it's the minority of miscreants that cause all the trouble and they're inconsiderate and don't bother about responsibilities.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Actually someone ought to tell them the problem is a government who has stopped following the science and switched allegiance to the economics. In the process they could well be damaging the economics if the number of activities having to close down because of 'pings' is anything to go by.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I heard an interview this morning with Doctor Gabriel Scally who seems to know a thing or two about public health.

He said as I recall - the vaccine does not prevent you from contracting the virus, and does not protect you from passing it on. It does however reduce the severity of infection.

I'm just a simple chap but I thought a vaccine protected you from a disease, and didn't just mitigate its effects. I'm thinking of smallpox, ( In 1980 WHO declared smallpox eradicated – the only infectious disease to achieve this distinction), polio, MMR etc. Kids who have the measles vaccine don't get mild measles - they just don't get measles at all.

I began to rethink what I have read on other sites where the attitude that 'this is not a vaccine' is common. The same sites also propose that the virus doesn't exist so are treated with great scepticism.

Dr Scally who is a menber of the self appointed 'Alternative Sage Group' proposed that improved ventilation in all schools and hospitals was the way forward. Yeah right. . . . . That would only take a few weeks, wouldn't cost much, and we have plenty of time.

Coincidentally (and strangely), that was the proposal from John Ashworth MP the Labour shadow health minister yesterday as well. I'd say both the above gents were 'left leaning' but no more than that for now - lest I persuade myself into another unfounded conspiracy theory. :smile:

PS Dr Scally also said that the accuracy of the lateral flow test was just 40 - 50 %,
Might as well spin a coin then?
Last edited by Tripps on 19 Jul 2021, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

In effect this shambles of a government have abdicated all responsibility for the welfare of the people. That is the top and bottom of it. It's the same as the "abandon ship" command or "every man for himself", shameful in the extreme. Boris should be regarded as a criminal in deserting his duty to the people.

The "Glorious 12th" or thereabouts may well have a totally different meaning this year. Criminal that some people will have to die to prove Boris's "irreversible" plan a non starter.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I checked the official information on Lateral Flow Tests. They say better than 99% accuracy. Why would Dr Gabriel Scally say otherwise?

I looked at Independent Sage/ They seem stronger on psychologists than epidemiologists.

Professor Ferguson said over the weekend, that cases - then 54,000 per day - would rise to 100,000 per day with follow on consequences. They say he's been wrong in all his predictions, from BSE onwards, and this seems to be another example. The number of cases has reduced for the last two days, and now stands at 39,950 - though there is the weekend factor to consider.

My concern in the Spring was that I wouldn't know if the expected reduction in cases was due to the 'usual' seasonal decrease in such infections, or the vaccine. Despite both factors being in play - the case rate went up from about 1,000 a day to over 50,000. Thank goodness people were wearing face coverings or goodness knows where we'd be now.

On 'Freedom Day' there is currently a protest going on in Whitehall against lock down.

It's all a puzzle isn't it? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

chinatyke wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 13:59 Singapore have announced that they are going to treat Covid as endemic, which is essentially what UK are doing.
I am sorry but I feel this has to be the way forward. I shall not change my new lifestyle by my own choice which is the same as all my friends and acquaintances. I acknowledge there will be many who will ignore any guidance probably the same ones who have ignored the rules anyway.
If you keep searching you will find it
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 16:05 I looked at Independent Sage/ They seem stronger on psychologists than epidemiologists.
Professor Ferguson said over the weekend, that cases - then 54,000 per day - would rise to 100,000 per day with follow on consequences. They say he's been wrong in all his predictions, from BSE onwards, and this seems to be another example. The number of cases has reduced for the last two days, and now stands at 39,950 - though there is the weekend factor to consider.
I think the 100k will hit in when the nighttime economy and no limits on indoor mixing kick in. But it looks like vaccine is working as anticipated and by end October I think long term hospital admissions are going to be among the unvaccinated or medically vulnerable.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Whyperion wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 18:31 But it looks like vaccine is working as anticipated
Really? A banner at the Freedom Day protest just seen on TV, reads

"60% of deaths are amongst vaccinated people. If the vaccine worked it be zero."

Is it true - I don't know.

Banner
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Went for my usual monday lunch time swim at Colne pool. Very disappointed in the changes to the set up. The swimming side was much as usual, limited numbers, one way systems, same high level of cleanliness acceptable in my eyes. The disappointing side was that they had removed the perspex sheet round the reception staff also the general caution signs with the exception of one at the entrance 'Don't enter if you are showing symptoms'. The general feel was that they were working on instructions from on high who had no respect for the wellbeing of their staff. I wonder if this is the new Conservative council doing what they are told?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 18:54
Whyperion wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 18:31 But it looks like vaccine is working as anticipated
Really? A banner at the Freedom Day protest just seen on TV, reads

"60% of deaths are amongst vaccinated people. If the vaccine worked it be zero."

Is it true - I don't know.

Banner
Was the person waving the banner qualified to have and disseminate that data?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Double jab, and evidence to prove it, to enter night clubs and other large venues from September. Seems a bit late to me, why not do it now while cases are on the rise?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57893788

Covert herd immunity?
Do they know something they're not telling us and have given up? (Apologies for the conspiracy theory there, been watching too many disaster movies :biggrin2: )
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Big Kev wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 19:47 Was the person waving the banner qualified to have and disseminate that data?
As I said - I don't know, but it's either true or false. If it's true, then I don't think any qualification is needed to pass information on. If it's false then it should be possible to be demonstrated as such.

Now Cummings has come back on the scene to cause more mischief - or reveal what actually happened, depending on your politics.

I think we are in a new stage of this affair, and as I've implied over the last couple of days - I don't understand it all. Lots of it makes no sense to me, and I don't quite know what to believe.

More thinking and less posting is indicated. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, no problem about what to believe, just trust your own eyes and instincts. All the prediction and official guidance in the world can't change the basic facts, Covid is still with us and even with two jabs can be a serious affair so follow Sue, keep the precautions and watch what happens.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

The Delta strain has arrived in Sth. Aust.
We have a 7 day Lockdown 🙁
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As I said, it's still with us and about. Keep safe Cathy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

The vaccine is working , no one said it was 100% effective. Just look at the ons data . There is no comparison in the death rate. The highest infections are in the under 50s where there is the lowest vaccination rate. People who have been double vaccinated are mainly not very ill suffering from little more that a severe cold like illness. This is yesterdays data
3179E3F0-BD95-4C8F-898B-E673ED0D605E.png
the number of deaths and hospital cases are the important numbers not the number of cases, also the percentage of positive cases to the tests carried out. A figure you can find if you search in the ONS statistics. We cannot compare this with the start of the pandemic and lre vaccination as we have more testing now . There are now many many people dying from untreated medical conditions like cancer that are either not seeking help or cannot access services. We need to start rebalancing our approach. Yes hospital cases are going up, yes infections are increasing but we are not where we were a year ago. Living in Greater Manchester and Rochdale in particular I have lived through very high infection rates, and more to the point continuous restrictions since a year last March. People round me have had enough , so change is happening wether its July 19 th or not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 07:16 The vaccine is working , no one said it was 100% effective. Just look at the ons data . There is no comparison in the death rate. The highest infections are in the under 50s where there is the lowest vaccination rate. People who have been double vaccinated are mainly not very ill suffering from little more that a severe cold like illness. This is yesterdays data 3179E3F0-BD95-4C8F-898B-E673ED0D605E.png the number of deaths and hospital cases are the important numbers not the number of cases, also the percentage of positive cases to the tests carried out. A figure you can find if you search in the ONS statistics. We cannot compare this with the start of the pandemic and lre vaccination as we have more testing now . There are now many many people dying from untreated medical conditions like cancer that are either not seeking help or cannot access services. We need to start rebalancing our approach. Yes hospital cases are going up, yes infections are increasing but we are not where we were a year ago. Living in Greater Manchester and Rochdale in particular I have lived through very high infection rates, and more to the point continuous restrictions since a year last March. People round me have had enough , so change is happening wether its July 19 th or not.
What I have noticed, particularly with the BBC, is the use of the total number of deaths, since the start of the pandemic, when putting out statistics. The data above shows the vaccine is working, I am still being careful but feel a lot safer having been jabbed. The restrictions here in Pendle have been just that, restrictive. Despite being only a couple of miles from the North Yorkshire border we got lumped in with the rest of Lancashire. As Sue says, July 19th or not people will be changing.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

The restrictions here in Pendle have been just that, restrictive. Despite being only a couple of miles from the North Yorkshire border we got lumped in with the rest of LancashirE...

And we are only 400 metres from Rossendale which have mot had tge same continuous restrictions, and my area in particular is low but we have to do what Greater Manchester has had to do.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

To back up Sue's earlier post and in response to Tripps and Kev...
In the banner shown in Tripps' link the claim is made out of context, as has been the case in many unreliable news sources. See this explanation from Full Facts...
`Vaccinated people sometimes die of Covid-19—but very rarely'
Full Fact web site

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”