Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Stanley »

Margaret and Mick in Perth are now double vaccinated.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

It does appear that Vaccines are working - I think The BBC was reporting from Uganda where even just 2m doses have resulted in no deaths in hospital of anyone double vaccinated. I said some time ago that I expected daily infections to be about 40,000 and deaths at about 200 a day, that was based on 16+ being vaccinated at about 85% of population, as it is with the 12+ being included now is probably responsible for infections reported not quite hitting the 40k and the deaths generally being under 200 (excluding other cause deaths due to covid-clogging of NHS treatments), While the increase in infections (effectively R=2 rather than the more UK general R=1) in Kettering appears somewhat unexplained, It does appear that It would be reasonable to expect deaths to fall toward 180 a day max with triple vaccinations for vulnerable. while being one of the 160 would be regretable , given the type and scale of the virus this appears to be the best livable with outcome with a fairly normal lifestyle.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

might have been wrong about UK hospitalisations - up today to a round 7000. (220 up).
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I'm puzzled - again. :smile:

I've had two jabs of Pfizer, and now it seems there will be a 'booster' delivered shortly in the Autumn.

I had sort of assumed that the 'booster' would be re - formulated to take into account any changes to the virus which had developed since the original version. We were told when it was introduced that it would be a simple matter to do so, and take just a few weeks to manage. I understand that's what happens with the annual Flu jab.

Well - there has been a major change in the main make up of the virus - from the Alpha or Kent variant, to the Indian or Delta variant. When this emerged, we were then told that although the jab wasn't specifically designed to combat it - nevertheless it was to an extent, effective.

As far as I can see - the 'booster' jab will not be re-formulated, and will be the same as we got in the early part of this year, and would be given to boost waning immunity. So the unknown, which was the length of time the jab would be effective for, and (I assume) this has proved to be at the lower end of expectations. I wonder why the jab has not been changed to fight this variant more vigorously.

Meanwhile the whole nation (except me) seems to be behaving as if the whole incident is over. Other major news topics have taken over, and gatherings of large crowds such as at boxing, football and racing, and in pubs and night clubs, which not so long ago were banned, seem to have no effect on infection rates.

Note I've used the word 'jab' throughout in preference to 'vaccination'. that was deliberate. I'm still looking for another vaccine which does not protect you from the catching or transmitting the illness.

I will take the booster when it's offered. There seem to have been no ill effects from the first two - though it's sometimes hard to separate them from the natural processes which have occurred over the period.
Last edited by Tripps on 29 Sep 2021, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I’ve got appointment for my flu and booster jabs together next week. My OH was given his booster last week as he is vulnerable category, but wasn’t offered his flu jab with it.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 09:28 As far as I can see - the 'booster' jab will not be re-formulated, and will be the same as we got in the early part of this year, and would be given to boost waning immunity. So the unknown, which was the length of time the jab would be effective for, and (I assume) this has proved to be at the lower end of expectations. I wonder why the jab has not been changed to fight this variant more vigorously.
I tried searching for an answer to your concern, Tripps, but it proved difficult to find anything. This is the most informative article I could find. The first 8 or so paragraphs are mostly background so skim them and get to the nub of the matter...
`Why you’re not getting a delta-specific booster yet: It’s in clinical trials, but many experts say you don’t need a tailored vaccine for this variant' Vox.com
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for that link Tiz. I'll give it 'several coats of looking at'. It looks to have the famous 'ring of truth ' about it. Shows that this is still an evolving situation. There is so much to get confused about. It's Eye day, and MD says "In fact the vast majority of Covid trials contain tiny numbers of participants, have methodological flaws (many are not even randomised) and tell us nothing useful." Add to that there are people that are deliberately pushing false messages for various reasons, and I have too much time to wander round the web looking at it all. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I sympathise with you David but you are wrong on one point, there are at least a few of us not acting as though it was all over. I get funny looks now when I wear a mask, it seems to me that only the over 40's are even thinking about precautions.
As for the booster, all I know is that Well said that if the booster was available for me it would be given with the flu jab. However, as I understand it I don't become eligible until 6 months after the second dose and that falls on the 13th of October, six days after my flu jab. I am relying on the system to kick in when I am eligible. If and when it does, like you I will accept what I am offered.
Apart from that I am taking the same precautions that I have been following for the last 18 months.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We wear masks all the time in shops as do most people we know, I'm sure that's not the reason you are getting funny looks. The gloves might do it though, especially if they are blue! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They are and I suspect you are right.... Who cares! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Whilst dozing and listening to Oldham Community Radio this afternoon - I heard a strident advert saying I should download the NHS Covid App. The punch line was that "The vaccine does not prevent you from catching the disease or from passing it on". Just like that right out loud - but we should get it to protect others.

I checked it out, and it seems it's a second version of the job - since the first version didn't work, and at the bottom it says. The NHS accepts no responsibility for this app which rests solely with the app developers.

"The app developer is solely responsible for their app's advertisement, compliance and fitness for purpose. Unless stated otherwise, apps are not supplied by the NHS, and the NHS is not liable for their use."

I decided that I must have been dreaming - that's just too silly to be true isn't it? :smile:
Last edited by Tripps on 03 Oct 2021, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The App creates a QR code which allows you to go in venues to give and catch Covid. Since this App knows your vaccination status gained by giving it your NHS details then I would have thought that the NHS is complicit in letting your details out. The blighters. But to allow the App display all your medical records you need more NHS details or say 'three blind mice ' backwards while talking to your driving licence. Confused ? so am I.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I later came across this - I find it an improvement to see the words as they are read to me.
I think we're getting closer. . . . :smile:

[
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm sure you're right David. How could the data fiasco with Google have happened? Giving away our data.... Who'd 'ave thowt it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 02:54 I'm sure you're right David. How could the data fiasco with Google have happened? Giving away our data.... Who'd 'ave thowt it!
I'm still puzzled about that news of Google Deepmind and the NHS data. I thought it was supposed to be only anonymised patient data in which case why are patients bothered by it?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My understanding Peter is that the hospital sold the data to Google and under the Data Protection Act it isn't theirs to sell. I'll stand to be corrected on this.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I listened this morning to a discussion about the less than 100% take up of vaccination by professional football players. One of the questions was why they don't all have it. Various reasons were put forward but nobody mentioned that one reason could be fear it might knock them off their fitness curve. I'm old enough to remember Derek Dooley losing has leg after he broke in in February 1953. I remember that at the time it was said he refused to have a tetanus jab as routine before the accident because he thought it might affect his fitness.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Had my booster jab yesterday, and my flu jab, that’s me hopefully sorted for the winter months. Went to Jubilee House in Leyland which was part of the Leyland Trucks site, it is still a massive site to drive around.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Many people seem to be retreating from genuine science and going back to the Middle Ages...
`Ivermectin: How false science created a Covid miracle drug' LINK
`Ivermectin has been called a Covid "miracle" drug, championed by vaccine opponents, and recommended by health authorities in some countries. But the BBC can reveal there are serious errors in a number of key studies that the drug's promoters rely on. For some years ivermectin has been a vital anti-parasitic medicine used to treat humans and animals. But during the pandemic there has been a clamour from some proponents for using the drug for something else - to fight Covid and prevent deaths. The health authorities in the US, UK and EU have found there is insufficient evidence for using the drug against Covid, but thousands of supporters, many of them anti-vaccine activists, have continued to vigorously campaign for its use...'.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Myself and Sally have both been notified by the NHS app that we have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid!

I have just cancelled our flu jabs which were booked for Saturday. I don't think we will have the results of the PCR tests that we have organised by then. Contact was on the 2nd October which was last Saturday. Both of us feel OK. I will do lateral flow test shortly, because I can.

Not a very nice birthday present for Sally!
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 21:03 The App creates a QR code which allows you to go in venues to give and catch Covid. Since this App knows your vaccination status gained by giving it your NHS details then I would have thought that the NHS is complicit in letting your details out. The blighters. But to allow the App display all your medical records you need more NHS details or say 'three blind mice ' backwards while talking to your driving licence. Confused ? so am I.
It gives my name and date of birth, my vaccination date, place of vaccination type and batch. There is no nhs number displayed or address etc. It expires after 30 days. In most cases where ours have been used, nothing was scanned the details were just read . The only place it was scanned was when we went in chinese restaurant in France.
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 09:34 Myself and Sally have both been notified by the NHS app that we have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid!

I have just cancelled our flu jabs which were booked for Saturday. I don't think we will have the results of the PCR tests that we have organised by then. Contact was on the 2nd October which was last Saturday. Both of us feel OK. I will do lateral flow test shortly, because I can.

Not a very nice birthday present for Sally!
Hopefully you will get your result. Claire had Erin tested on Tuesday teatime. She had the result yesterday. Our 2 nd day PCR tests when we went home from France last time was only 24 hours for the result
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

If you look at this site Worldometers - as I do regularly, then go to the column for 'New Cases' and click on it at he top. It will order the countries from top to bottom by the nunber of new cases. Do it in the evening when all the day's data is in. Make of the data what you will - surely all do not use the same method of measurement.

I've noticed that in the last few days UK is second in the table with only the USA having more new cases. Think about that - we have the second highest number of new Covid cases in the world. We are ahead of Brazil, India etc, which I would not have expected. Meanwhile the nation seems to be behaving as if the pandemic is over. Best not to take your behaviour cues from yesterday's Tory Party conference.

I remain puzzled by it all. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We are testing differently, picking up all those asymptomatic cases, especially in school children. Many countries do very little testing eg in France none unless you have symptoms and there are no home testing kits. .You also need to compare like climatic conditions with like. Now the highest number of cases is in the high school age, where they are all testing twice a week. Also the severity of the disease is now more important than the numbers. I have a number of vaccinated friends who have had it and experienced little more that a severe 4 day cold. The longest symptom was the lack of taste. I am talking majority here too, not exceptions. Everyone can quote an exception , I can myself. How many flu cases are there at the moment, how many gastric bugs, how many colds. You don’t know because its not being recorded. But like covid they follow an undulating wave pattern always present in the population . Worse in schools and workplaces where people mix. Don’t look for simple answers in complex issues.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 11:48 We are testing differently, picking up all those asymptomatic cases,

I tried to cover that by
Tripps wrote: 07 Oct 2021, 10:29 Make of the data what you will - surely all do not use the same method of measurement.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”