Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Stanley »

Daughter Margaret in Perth WA has had her first Covid jab.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

:good:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret has reported she has no after effects beyond feeling tired. I have told her to be careful, the jabs are powerful and in some cases reactions are a slow burn.
I see that there are moves to recognise Long Covid as a condition that warrants being treated as a disability especially when contracted by carers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Hair cut appointment yesterday. Arrived 10mins early and had to sit outside (under cover) until she had finished with the last customer, clean up etc: The time wasn't wasted. I watched a procession of Zimmer frames entering Wetherspoons like bees entering a hive. No attempt to put masks on. Never saw anybody come out. Wondered if they had committed suicide. Very enjoyable 10 mins. I think next time I'll find a bench near traffic lights for some really exciting stuff. :laugh5:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You could count the number of cars using the charging points as well!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 08:16 Hair cut appointment yesterday.
Spooky - I got mine cut yesterday too. First since February 2020, not counting the bits I cut off myself.

I assumed it was appointment only, but when I phoned, he said they were doing 'walk ins' as well. I was in the chair within ten minutes. I think the price was the same as pre pandemic, but he got a big tip as well. I feel half human again. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Strictly appointments, Walk ins were given a future appointment time. Price £5 for grey tops. Charging point count was difficult. Try to use roman numerals to make life interesting but they don't have a symbol for 'Zero'.

2pm must be happy Zimmer hour at Wetherspoons. The odd thing is the last time we went in Wetherspoons was because we had arrive an hour too early at the hairdressers, the anaesthetist hadn't arrived. Very early morning so we popped in for a coffee. Actually quite pleasant, clean and comfortable. 90% of customers drinking coffee.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I sit opposite the bookies and watch who goes in! I also monitor the people using the lights controlled pedestrian crossing. (What's the name for them, are they Pelicans?) Quite amazing how many people stand there while the lights are red and then step out into the road when they change to green. Do they think the traffic lights are for them?
I am reminded of the level crossings that had no gates but flashing lights and a notice that said 'Do not cross while lights flash'. After some accidents were recorded they realised that in some more Northern areas of the kingdom 'while' was understood to mean 'until'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 03:01 Quite amazing how many people stand there while the lights are red and then step out into the road when they change to green. Do they think the traffic lights are for them?
YES. People have the right to cross a road at any time its just safer when the traffics stopped. The lights in Barlick are Pelican. A three lamp system Red, Amber, Green. Activated on the press of a button but controlled by timers. Vehicle should stop on Red and amber. There's ample warning that a car driver is approaching a Pelican crossing why don't the just slow down a bit.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, but it would also be good if pedestrians checked for traffic before pressing the button. No need to press if the road is clear, just cross. Lots of folk press the button then realise there is no traffic so cross anyway, the lights change and stop the traffic and there are no pedestrians. Top and bottom if it, some folk don't know how they work. The one at the post office corner is not helped by way of it being only 5 yards from two junctions.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Might be better off with a Puffin rather than a Pelican. Don't ask. :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Or the full set. Zebra, Pelican, Puffin, Toucan and Pegasus...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good Grief! A person could do a degree in pedestrian crossings. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 02:34 Good Grief! A person could do a degree in pedestrian crossings. :biggrin2:
Oft used in Quiz Shows.

Back to subject in hand.

Vaccines - Some of the Moderna type have been reporting as correlating/causing heart problems in younger reciepents (mostly reported in USA, not aware of UK/Europe responses.

Study in Oxford of 'how many anitbodies is enough to deter covid', short answer is generally quite a few, BUT there is no clear level that will totally prevent an infection (and presumably infectiousness and possibly hospitalisation). " The study also confirms previous indications that there is no single level on any of the binding or neutralising antibody assays used, that provides full protection against Covid-19.
While the results link immune responses to expected population protection after two doses, they cannot be used to check protection of an individual who has been vaccinated or protection conferred by a single jab "
Effectively this becomes somewhat that which daily reported stats are showing, the vaccine generally reduces the chance of covid infection in a population, but you cannot state whom actually might get an infection in that population, hence the times of falling infections happened with the combination of isolation and vaccination, the political idea that Vaccine on its own is the way out, just is not so, for any individual. Again with the oxford study I would like to see some analysis by age/blood group/ other health conditions - any genetic variation? Of course present uk case numbers increasing appear driven by kids a school and scots supporters hugging.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just done lateral flow test before my visit to the local surgery to see the nurse. It's had it's half an hour and has indicated a negative result so I can still go :smile:

I'm fit for the dentists later as well.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Just had two letters from the dentist on Park Avenue, both cancelling the same appointment and asking me to call and book another. Not sure why they couldn't just phone me and save two stamps.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My bookings an confirmations etc with Harrison Street have all been done by phone and text. Same practice of course, I have had two texts regarding Covid symptoms etc and one confirming my appointment. Not got Eva who is my normal dentist though.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It seems the Andrew Marr's absence from his show last Sunday was because had had Covid. Says he caught it at the G7 bunfight in Cornwall. Being in a highly vulnerable category, he has had two doses of a vaccine. He says he was very ill, but I guess had he not had the vaccine, he may have died.

Are there any lessons for the rest of us here?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There certainly are David. Avoid all such occasions and don't agitate for an early end to restrictions.
But I think both you and have been practising this.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

News from Margaret that Perth is in lockdown again. Laura's leave flight out of the Pilbara got out just in time to beat the ban on air travel so she's home.
See THIS report about how better face masks cut Covid Transmission.
" An NHS hospital that upgraded the type of face masks worn by staff on its COVID wards saw cases fall by up to 100%, new research suggests. Staff working on coronavirus wards at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge stopped using fluid resistant surgical masks (FRSMs) and replaced them with filtering face piece 3 (FFP3) ones in December 2020. They made the decision, contrary to official guidance, based on their own staff testing data."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS report on the possibility that a seasonal jab will be introduced for the vulnerable in September possibly with the annual flu jab. They have nine weeks to do it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The day the science died. Apologies to Bob Dylan.
July 19th is lined up to be herd immunity day. The choice is to live with the virus, be ill with it or die with it.
We know it will be hard; we expect it to be long, we cannot predict or measure its episodes or its tribulations. (Winston Churchill)
What can one say???

Its a good job Boris doesn't do gesture politics while giving the thumbs up (I think) while stood on the St George's flag in Downing St. Total disrespect for the flag and for England. If he was in the forces we would never see him again (what a good idea).
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I attended a Hospital a few weeks ago on the advice of 111. It was a large hospital, and I was the only person in it. A very weird experience. I was however dealt with very well, and am likely to survive. :smile:

I had a little Covid chat with the doctor afterwards, he was a decent chap, and I tried him with my theory on herd immunity. I said the virus is a coronavirus, related to the common cold, and will inevitably constantly mutate. We all get colds, and no herd immunity is built up - will it be the same for the Covid 19?

He didn't say I was wrong. . . .
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, Boris must have time machine or something. How else can he announce today measures that he will introduce in two weeks time? A lot of folk will regard this as restrictions over NOW, just what we need. Irreversible? We shall see.

I'm afraid I will break the rules as and when I think fit after the 19th, I will wear my mask when I like and maintain distancing as required by the situation, anyone that doesn't like it can take a running jump.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I'm afraid I will break the rules as and when I think fit after the 19th, I will wear my mask when I like and maintain distancing as required by the situation, anyone that doesn't like it can take a running jump......

As i understand it, it is stated as voluntary so you will not be alone. We shall voluntarily wear a mask in situations where we feel they are needed. There is no legislation that says you must not wear one. The idea is that we all take responsibility for own health and welfare . .
If you keep searching you will find it

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”