Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Big Kev »

Daughter in law tested positive on a lateral flow this morning, PCR booked for 1pm today. Rest of the family were negative but my son is having a PCR too.
I was at their house for an hour on Thursday, daughter in law was at work but I've done a lateral flow just in case, it's negative. Both son and daughter in law had their second Pfizer a week ago so hopefully no serious impact if the PCR result confirms her result.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Despite my daughter in law not following the trend cases in the UK have dropped for the fifth day in a row
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk- ... s-12363868

Sunday results have always been a bit hit or miss but let's hope this downward trend continues.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard a commentator last night saying that there had not been enough time for any adverse consequences from the ease up of regulations to work through to the stats yet and we shouldn't clap too soon.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I heard that too, it'll be 2 or 3 weeks before any consequences of removing restrictions is seen.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Kev!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It will all kick off just into August in time for the "Glorious Twelfth" :sad:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Just saw the Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden interviewed at Goodwood races. There seem to be no restrictions on the crowd. He says he hopes this can become the norm as long as people behave cautiously, and wear masks in crowded places.

He said that in a crowded place - without a mask on. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Just been to Aldi in Colne and the majority were wearing a mask.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Now Professor Ferguson says it'll be all over by Autumn. The end

This is the guy who was fired for breaking his own lockdown last year, and forecast 100,000 cases a day just a week ago. Since then the numbers have fallen every single day to 24,511 today. It's a pity he said that - as it probably means that it won't be.

I looked at the Sage list of expertslast night. It's a lot bigger than I had anticiopated -especially when you add in the sub groups.

How on earth does it function? There is also Alternative Sage Group - and some experts are in both groups. Good grief. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard him as well David. Has he been right about anything? Did I hear him say he isn't expert on the medical side? If so how can he make models. Does he just guess?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

An unnamed Government Minister was quoted today as saying "It's all over bar the shouting". Let's hope he's right.

Much talk today about the vaccine, and the reluctance of many especially young people to receive it. There are lots of stories about the bad effects, including death, of those who have been vaccinated. I'd like someone to help me to understand how a vaccine which does not prevent infection, or subsequent transmission of the disease, is in fact a vaccine - in the sense that I've always believed.

It is said to mitigate the effects of the disease, and reduce hospital admissions and deaths - but real vaccines totally eliminated smallpox on a worldwide basis, and before Dr Wakefield spoke, I read that this country was Measles free. I don't think there was mild Smallpox, or Polio, and certainly no 'long Smallpox' .

I'm not an anti - vaxxer, and I've had two doses. I'll take the mitigation. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So will I David, and still keep up with my precautions.
I heard that quote also, attributed to the Daily Mail by the BBC. It struck me that it was a classic case of tempting providence. It's not all over, my daughter is evidence of this. Will they change their tune if they get a similar reaction?
Noticeable from what I can see that only the mature people are wearing masks and observing distancing. The young seem to believe they are invulnerable. They could be in for a hard lesson.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Headlines....Sajid Javid admits UK Covid rates unpredictable as cases rise again.

Where has this man been? Every sane thinking person can predict a rise when the precautions are removed. Our vaccination rates have dropped by over 40% in the last week. Soon the EU countries will have passed our vaccination percentages for the general population. Note. its not making headlines any more and the Buffoon has gone quiet. Young people are now being hit by covid. Old people are catching it but fortunately not killing them like it did in the first wave. Herd immunity being bandied about. How can this be if double vaccinated people are still catching it?
Yes we've got to look on the bright side but this good factor propaganda is getting ridiculous.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've just read a piece by the BBC head of statistics commenting on the fact that the number of pings has been going up but not as quickly as the number of cases. I noticed this bit `It could be that people are maybe being just a little bit more careful, they're going into restaurants a little bit less. Or they're getting pinged less because when they're sitting beside somebody they very carefully move their phone 2m away - or switch it off.'
I wonder how much of that is going on?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't know the specifics but what I have learned from experience is that planning for worst case is better than believing your own publicity and that's what they the government are doing at the moment while their scientific advisers err on the side of caution. The figures are starting to move again so we will soon start to get a reaction.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Some parts of Australia are having more Covid problems...
`Covid in Sydney: Military deployed to help enforce lockdown' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The second Moderna jab has hit my youngest offspring. He feels pants today apparently.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

On the plus side eldest daughter in law is now testing negative on a lateral flow test. After 3 days of sleeping most of the day she has been awake all day today.
She started feeling unwell last Sunday, a week after her second Pfizer jab, rather unlucky to have caught the virus. Eldest son is still testing negative, constitution of an ox :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Kev, Are you sure she is doing the right type of test. I thought the LFT was no use if you had the virus.

Should you take a rapid lateral flow test if you have COVID-19 symptoms?
Do not use a rapid lateral flow test or go to a test site if you have coronavirus symptoms. Get a PCR test and self-isolate, even if symptoms are mild.

The LFT is there for those who have no symptoms but are concerned they may be developing it.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 17:25 Kev, Are you sure she is doing the right type of test. I thought the LFT was no use if you had the virus.

Should you take a rapid lateral flow test if you have COVID-19 symptoms?
Do not use a rapid lateral flow test or go to a test site if you have coronavirus symptoms. Get a PCR test and self-isolate, even if symptoms are mild.

The LFT is there for those who have no symptoms but are concerned they may be developing it.
She was positive, on an LFT, last Sunday morning and positive on the PCR from Sunday lunchtime. She felt better today so did a LFT, it has the potential to give a false negative but she still has another 5 days of isolation.

Eldest son got himself on the 'trial' again. A negative LFT every morning allows him out of the house for the day for shopping and stuff.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

For a country that is almost out of the woods it all sounds rather frantic and infected! Or should I get out more?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

It appears that the great freedom day has not seen the likes of nightclubs booming with wall to wall bodies. Maybe not surprising, its Summer (ha , the rain) and a good number of clubbers were young people, who may not have got jabbed enough to give them confidence, and the urban EU workers of say U25s, who have gone back home to families, so not enough people to go round. Looks like all you double jabbed over 60s could get away with a 24hr weekender in the manchester club scene while its quiet.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Skipton was very busy yesterday but so many people not wearing masks even in shops.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Mask wearing (of sorts) still continues, if you count chins or mouths only (thats the security chaps at the supermarket so hardly good examples) Sainsburys has rushed to remove separation screens at checkouts (that might not be a bad thing) morrisons retained theirs.

Reports that there are vaccines going out of date in parts of UK (inc pfizer and moderna), this seems to be a bit of a logistics problem to young under 25s (at least stay at home crumblies can be counted at the GPs and shot quite quickly on a round trip up the road and back.

Daily express (via MSN news summary on Bing) reports that The (oral taken?) steroid Dexamethasone is working in assisting with the symptoms of Covid, and helping breathing, for both in hospital ventilator and similiar patients and some at home GP? prescribed ones (NHS England says this is not a routine prescribing). Question I suppose is Why?, at best I presume it is repairing or preventing damage from coughing? rather than preventing a viral infection (??)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 09:08 The second Moderna jab has hit my youngest offspring. He feels pants today apparently.
24 hours after and he was feeling better, today he has been working out and running.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”