Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 06:36 It seems to be getting to be almost commonplace. Rather like seasonal flu or the common cold. I hope we are not being lulled into a sense of false security!
As I have been saying for months . Its endemic, its with us now until it or if it mutates to be non infectious. So we have to live with it like we live with so many diseases.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall tell Susan that. She tells me she is just hot, fe3verish and head achey but feeling chilled. Sounds like my last experience. Dr Dad's prescription is a light diet, plenty of fluids and sleep.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 21:27 As I have been saying for months . Its endemic, its with us now until it or if it mutates to be non infectious. So we have to live with it like we live with so many diseases.
Reminds me of the 'Life of Brian' always look on the bright side of life.

The trouble is there's another line that says look on the bright side of ....... :biggrin2:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 07:20
Sue wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 21:27 As I have been saying for months . Its endemic, its with us now until it or if it mutates to be non infectious. So we have to live with it like we live with so many diseases.
Reminds me of the 'Life of Brian' always look on the bright side of life.

The trouble is there's another line that says look on the bright side of ....... :biggrin2:
I think that is the bright side, as I have stopped worrying about it and just getting on with my life. Its serious for some like all illnesses, but there are a lot worse out there now
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Not sure what this tells us. From Nigel Short the chess Grand Master from Leigh, who is at a tournament in Italy.

"I was hoping that after 3 vaccinations and 2 prior bouts of Covid - the December one involving 5 days on oxygen in hospital - I might have acquired sufficient antibodies by now. No such luck. I have gone down with Covid again".

This was him during his last bout last December.
nigel-short.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Sue wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 08:15
I think that is the bright side, as I have stopped worrying about it and just getting on with my life. Its serious for some like all illnesses, but there are a lot worse out there now
Indeed the 30 year old nurse getting TB , hope the govt has upped vaccine research into that given the poor diet, accommodation and general victorian poverty Rees-Mogg and Gove are dragging the populace back to.

"Latest data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show there were 1,540 excess deaths in the week ending June 24 but only around 10 per cent were due to coronavirus.

Health experts have called for an urgent investigation into what is behind the excess mortality, with fears that the pandemic response, lack of access to healthcare and even the cost of living crisis, may be to blame.

Before the end of March, deaths in England and Wales were lower than usual this year despite hundreds of people dying from Covid. Yet in the last three months, the situation has reversed, with overall deaths rising even though Covid deaths have been falling"

I suspect no-one has adjusted the deaths for age bands ? the 2021 census indicated a lot more over 65s/80s/90s than were expected, but it probably is delays from the last two years on cancer etc treatments
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Whyperion wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 20:53
Sue wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 08:15
Indeed the 30 year old nurse getting TB , hope the govt has upped vaccine research into that given the poor diet, accommodation and general victorian poverty Rees-Mogg and Gove are dragging the populace back to.

"Latest data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show there were 1,540 excess deaths in the week ending June 24 but only around 10 per cent were due to coronavirus.

Health experts have called for an urgent investigation into what is behind the excess mortality, with fears that the pandemic response, lack of access to healthcare and even the cost of living crisis, may be to blame.

Before the end of March, deaths in England and Wales were lower than usual this year despite hundreds of people dying from Covid. Yet in the last three months, the situation has reversed, with overall deaths rising even though Covid deaths have been falling"

I suspect no-one has adjusted the deaths for age bands ? the 2021 census indicated a lot more over 65s/80s/90s than were expected, but it probably is delays from the last two years on cancer etc treatments
Agreed, with one addition. TB I understand is now becoming antibiotic resistant which is causing increased mortality rates.

https://www.theglobalfund.org/en/blog/2 ... -security/

It is also a spore forming bacteria which makes it more difficult to eradicate from the environment, no matter how clean. Many spores are resistant to disinfectants except very strong ones

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2121783/

The bacterium is a b....r to get rid of as it has features that are peculiar to the species , so as antibiotic resistance increases so does the general survival of the organism. This is to do with isdies other than increased poverty. It has been happening for some years

And yes vaccine research is well advanced

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanm ... 7/fulltext
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

This may answer the question about age analysis and deaths

birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/monthlymortalityanalysisenglandandwales/march2022
Oops sorry

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... /march2022

And this particularly

https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=/people ... 52022.xlsx
Look at page 2=

There is included this interesting chart showing covid is now quite a way down the list of causes of death
6907E221-806B-44D5-B702-3053CA552590.png
I note the 5 year average for influenza and pneumonia is significantly hight than present covid numbers , however it is noticeable that the figures for this year are slightly less than covid, but still the next on the list
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Might indeed be more other kinds of flu/ respiratory diseases are taking advantage, possibly abbetted by undiagnosed mild Covid infections ( the free test kit withdrawal seems to co-incide with the rise from other respiratory causes) It seems the newspaper headlines are not quite backed up by the registration data. Question - has air quality been rather bad the last couple of weeks, in london it has been fairly still and daytime warm. Taking cumulative figures for the year it looks like there has been an increase in death registrations over the past couple of reporting weeks, and it looks like much of that increase (to average) is occuring in Care Homes. ( I dont think it is late catch up of Jubilee Holiday reporting as that should have shaken out three weeks prior, and I am using cumulative figures ). The age-adjusted figures are a bit too complex for me to quickly review, but it still looks as if there is an increase compared to average in the deaths from disease associated with old age. Given we have a larger population of older persons a small increase may be expected in absolute terms, but I would still be concerned that effectively the rise in covid infections generally are giving a care home disproportionate knock on.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It looks as though the latest variant of Covid is working it's way through Susan's household. So far it looks as though husband Mick and daughter Jess are both infected....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

If anyone needs cheering up - and right now that would include me - try this

Covid Virus Centaurus variant

Can we cope with that without the benefit of Boris Johnson's 'world beating' solutions ?
Last edited by Tripps on 13 Jul 2022, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

When I clicked on that link it gave something called `Newser' but then also opened up other Firefox windows without any input from me! One, I noted, was to do with betting. I shut it all down immediately. :surprised:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 13 Jul 2022, 15:36 When I clicked on that link it gave something called `Newser' but then also opened up other Firefox windows without any input from me! One, I noted, was to do with betting. I shut it all down immediately. :surprised:
Newser doesn't rank highly on Norton's AV site
https://safeweb.norton.com/reviews?url=newser.com
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 13 Jul 2022, 15:36 When I clicked on that link it gave something called `Newser' but then also opened up other Firefox windows without any input from me! One, I noted, was to do with betting. I shut it all down immediately. :surprised:
It doesn't do that for me - but the same news is all over the place now. I've changed the link to The Guardian.

Covid Centaurus variant probably predictable and inevitable, but best to be aware.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tripps wrote: 13 Jul 2022, 13:46 I shut it all down immediately.
So did I especially after reading Kev's research. Can't be seduced into gambling can I? That would never do. :smile:

It was connected with an American Email address that I've had for many years as a reserve. It was free for a long time, but I've been paying about $8 per annum for a while. In fairness I've never had any problems, but it was due to renew in about two weeks so quite timely. I've got plenty of other spare addresses including the one with 'personalised plates' . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Noteworthy
"another example of the virus’s impressive capacity to tolerate changes in its spike protein – the part it uses to infect cells, and which most Covid vaccines are based on."

Which I remain pretty certain is part of the genetic work Whuhan science labs ( both of them ) were working on originally.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Centaurus..... Good Grief! Just when I was starting to feel slightly safer.
Covid still rips though Susan's house. She and Mick aren't positive any more but feeling tired and Mick is quite poorly. The New Normal.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 13 Jul 2022, 16:18 It doesn't do that for me...
Some of the comments on that Norton site said that it doesn't happen all the time but that it is known to occur with that web site.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've got rid of the 'newser' site and all connected with it. I don't miss it, and best to be cautious.

Spoke to my big lad last night. He and all his household are getting over their second dose of Covid. All were quite ill, even the two young children. We are talkng four days in bed. I've lost track of the present variant sequence, but I'm assuming it was the B5 variant which seems to be spreading quickly.

He thinks it came via the three year old who seemed to have a cold, though she tested negative for Covid. Not the usual pattern for previous waves I think, and the vaccine seemed not to mitigate anything. Puzzling since this was said to be a Winter virus, and it's high summer.

I shall wind up the precautions a notch. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My family have been having the same experience David. To be honest, I am not sure if anyone is actually positive at the moment but they have all been there very recently apart from Muthomi and me....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

One of my cousin's daughters, in her early 20s and a very sensible lass, has just had a bout of covid for a 2nd time, perhaps a 3rd time, we're losing count. She was unwell last week but has just tested negative.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think Peter that what we are looking at is 'The New Normal'. We are getting closer to treating it like a super infectious flu. (Which is of course what it is....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Covid origin studies say evidence points to Wuhan market' BBC

`Researchers identify evolutionary origins of SARS-CoV-2' University of Glasgow
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 10:04 `Covid origin studies say evidence points to Wuhan market' BBC

`Researchers identify evolutionary origins of SARS-CoV-2' University of Glasgow
Hopefully it'll 'slap down' the conspiracy theorists.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Big Kev wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 10:12 Hopefully it'll 'slap down' the conspiracy theorists.
I doubt it. :smile: It's a big coincidence that an Institute of Virology was nearby. The 'science' is largely beyond my understanding, but I'd be very wary of depending on any information coming with the approval of the Chinese Government, and I doubt there is any other sort. 'Scientists' examined the spoon bending of Yuri Geller, and couldn't work it out - Paul Daniels knew how he did it. :smile:

It isn't always best to ask a 'scientist' to explain things - especially when there is the possibilty that you may be being deliberately deceived.

PS - I'm not a conspiracy theorist (except the moon landings of course :laugh5: ) just a healthy sceptic with a fair knowledge of people.

I found this interesting in January 2020. Wuhan vist to Cambridge Remember when they took people to hotels in coaches and isolated them for two weeks?

Also the fact that Wuhan was twinned with twenty six cities world wide (including Manchester) attracted my attention, at that time, but then I found Shanghai for instance has sixty six twins. London has just eleven. It woudn't be hard to construct a conspiracy theory from that, but of course I won't. All a bit odd though I'd say. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”