Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Big Kev »

I heard the flu/covid combination story on the radio today.

I came to the conclusion that
a. there's a possibility you could die if you catch the flu

b. there's a possibility you could die if you catch Covid-19

a + b must result in twice the possibility of dying than if you caught just a or b. A bit of a non-story if you ask me.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Best course is minimise the risk of catching either.... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Our Silsden granddaughter Isla has tested positive on her latest LFT. Carla has ordered PCR's for the family which with a bit of luck will come today. It's Isla's birthday later this week and she was having a party on Saturday for a few friends, all now on hold. She doesn't feel poorly but has the potential to be a spreader of course, she just started secondary school this year.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I didn't know this - but my lad tells me that you can send for a PCR test and get it free of charge. I noticed that there was talk in the press over the weekend, that the Chancellor is minded to charge for them in future. Perhaps he had friends in the testing business.

If that happens I wonder how many people would pay - especially if it happened on the day you received your gas bill, and how many would just let nature take its course - hopefully isolating - especially with children who are at little risk from the disease.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If you have symptoms or test positive on an LFT. PCR's test are free. Mine was courier delivered and I posted it back but I did have the option to book courier pickup if you can't get to a priority post box. They provide a Royal Mail checking utility to find your nearest priority box. The return boxes are pre- paid on a 24 hour service. I had my result within 36 hours from taking the test. I did complete it and shove it in the post box in time for the midday collection.

Carla being a teacher and her kids are required to test twice a week on the current recommendation. All has been good since the kids went back to school this year until Isla's latest.

It's the folk who decide to go to foreign parts that cop for the paid tests as they have to pass PCR's before they get on a plane on both outward and return journeys. and be able to prove they are clear when they get back. They are also obliged to isolate in an approved hotel if they test positive this is also charged to the travellers. Mandatory isolation if they are daft enough to go to a red country. It can add up to a lot of money.

Stay at home and you get free tests.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

But what would you, or of more relevance, the public in general, have done if the cost was say £40 +. Perhaps for several family members.

Here's a range of charges, for those that choose to travel. Cost of PCR test

I would suggest the takeup rate would drop sharply. Stand by for a conspiracy theory :smile:

Maybe that's what Rishi wants - less testing will mean fewer cases.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, mum dad and three kids would cost a bob or two and does if you go on holiday. It's a personal choice of course and I can't do with those that complain when they get back. It would almost certainly have made a difference to the throng if the tests had to paid for and we would have a lot more dead folk.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

During the pandemic I have had five PCR tests. First one because we were all told to get one when the test centres first opened, second one in anger as I had suspect symptoms, third one because the NHS app said I had been in contact with someone who had tested positive. The other two were voluntary on behalf of Imperial College as I fitted into the demographic that they were studying.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've never needed to take a test for anything I have done and have never had symptoms. Does this make me a bad person?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I take it you didn't go to the Rainhall car park for the first one which was encouraged for everyone. Looking back it was the start of testing and would be an attempt to get base data on the spread of the virus. How else would they know what they were up against?

I was invited to register for further study groups as someone who has recently tested negative on a PCR. I have registered for vaccine research initiatives.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I order the packs of LFTs from the Government website and add the results to the NHS website. I don't test that often, probably once every couple of weeks unless we've been anywhere busy.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 09:05 I order the packs of LFTs from the Government website and add the results to the NHS website. I don't test that often, probably once every couple of weeks unless we've been anywhere busy.
We do it once a week, but three times whilst here in France. They have never heard of home testing . As we are in France and not the UK we have not entered our results this time o;the NHS website . We get ours from the government website but always pick up a couple ofpacks from the pharmacy when we collect our prescriptions
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 01:42 I've never needed to take a test for anything I have done and have never had symptoms. Does this make me a bad person?
You go shopping, you go to Colne, you bookie watch, therefore you do interact with people. Its a free test, simple to do . Asymptomatic cases are the worst, and possibly the reason for our high numbers as they are picked up by regular testing and otherwise would go un-noticed . You say you have no symptoms , neither have many positive cases.
If you keep searching you will find it
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sue wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 09:11
Big Kev wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 09:05 I order the packs of LFTs from the Government website and add the results to the NHS website. I don't test that often, probably once every couple of weeks unless we've been anywhere busy.
We do it once a week, but three times whilst here in France. They have never heard of home testing . As we are in France and not the UK we have not entered our results this time o;the NHS website . We get ours from the government website but always pick up a couple ofpacks from the pharmacy when we collect our prescriptions
Self testing is a no brainer to me and we do about the same. Not paranoid but it makes perfect sense to test if you have been in a busy place. The NHS app triggering our contact with someone who had tested positive is a case in point. We didn't notice anyone with a raging temperature or involuntary cough. The site was ventilated with the normal precautions in place. You do need to have your phone with you for the proximity alerts to work. I wonder if Stanley takes his with him or if he has the NHS app?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stanley is very happy thank you. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 02:50 Stanley is very happy thank you. :biggrin2:
About anything in particular? I'm generally very happy most days.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Survival.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I just deleted a post here from wendywicked280 and Stanley's reply. Possibly dodgy link included.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I rang you about it but couldn't get you so I texted Ian. Yes, it worried me, looked as though someone was using us as a platform for a polemic. Thanks Wendy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 14:12 looked as though someone was using us as a platform for a polemic
That would never do. . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 14:12 I rang you about it but couldn't get you so I texted Ian. Yes, it worried me, looked as though someone was using us as a platform for a polemic. Thanks Wendy.....
We had taken the dog to the vets for his booster jab. I'll have to look up polemic now. :laugh5:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 14:22 I'll have to look up polemic now. :laugh5:
I just did :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Scam
Screenshot_20211013-191837_Facebook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pedant's Corner.
The English word polemic comes from Ancient Greek πόλεμος, and later French polémique (Polemic, controversy Polemic.) and is usually applied to the more extreme forms of argumentation for or against a position.
There are good polemics and bad ones. That looked to me like a bad one and Wendy evidently thought so as well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I actually thought it was a "copy and paste" post (of someone else's polemic) which contained an advertising link for something relevant to the USA. Google told me it was for an HIPAA Compliant texting app which encrypts text conversations for medical professionals in the USA. The ip address didn't flag up on spam sites but the username did.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”