Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Big Kev »

Gloria wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 07:54 I’ve been trying to put part of a quote in from Sue, but making a mess of it.
Once you've used the 'quote' response Cathy just make sure you keep the 'code' at the beginning and end of the quoted text complete. You can edit the text between the 'quote' codes just make sure you then put your response below the bottom [/quote]. Aside from identifying the author of the post you're responding to it will also notify them that you have responded. I trust this makes sense.
I know it can be a bit awkward editing the text on a smartphone as I use one :biggrin2:
20220704_094130.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Alternatively you can just start a new post then highlight the text in the old post that you want to quote, then hit the quote button on the page. This will just copy the selected text correctly attributed to the original poster. A lot easier especially if you only want an odd bit of a long post. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 09:28 Alternatively you can just start a new post then highlight the text in the old post that you want to quote,
So it does, it's not immediately clear on a smartphone. You have to scroll down to see the previous post, and the quotation icon...
20220704_105250.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

This is the announcement from Brittany ferries Gloria
E5A5DDFD-16F5-4316-8514-68D34F34F41E.png
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

News this morning from daughter Susan that once again she is positive for Covid 19. She says the main symptom this time is a sore throat.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 09:28 Alternatively you can just start a new post then highlight the text in the old post that you want to quote, then hit the quote button at the top right on the page.
Good advice for a very handy facility. :smile:

If you hit the quote before starting a new post it copies all the quoted post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Sue wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 10:23 This is the announcement from Brittany ferries Gloria
There seemed to be no restrictions or concerns at all in France when we were there, it felt very “normal”.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 10:48 News this morning from daughter Susan that once again she is positive for Covid 19
That's not good news. I'm assuming that as a health care professional she has had all available vaccinations and has been taking all the required precautions, and that as a previously badly infected person she should have antibodies to the virus. Looks like there is no escape from the current wave.

This is adapted, and a bit fanciful but. . . .

A man is walking through the market in Baghdad when he sees Covid coming towards him. Terrified, he rushes home, saddles his horse and rides at a furious pace all night. Finally in the morning his exhausted horse staggers into Samarra. Greatly relieved and feeling safe at last, the man strolls down the street. And who should be see but Covid, who greets him and says, 'I was very surprised to see you in Baghdad yesterday, because I had an appointment with you this morning in Samarra.'
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 10:48 News this morning from daughter Susan that once again she is positive for Covid 19. She says the main symptom this time is a sore throat.....
That's unfortunate, any infection must be a hazard of working in the care sector. Other than full bio suits I wouldn't imagine there's not much else they can do really.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Apparently the most widely reported symptom of this variant is a headache.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 12:08 This is adapted, and a bit fanciful but. . . .

A man is walking through the market in Baghdad when he sees Covid coming towards him. Terrified, he rushes home, saddles his horse and rides at a furious pace all night. Finally in the morning his exhausted horse staggers into Samarra. Greatly relieved and feeling safe at last, the man strolls down the street. And who should be see but Covid, who greets him and says, 'I was very surprised to see you in Baghdad yesterday, because I had an appointment with you this morning in Samarra.'
I'm sure I've seen it in Terry Pratchett's 'Grim Reaper' or was it somewhere else. Help me out Tizer.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 16:23 I'm sure I've seen it in Terry Pratchett's 'Grim Reaper'
Maybe so, but I'd lay a shade of odds that he was quoting it too, and it predates him by a long time. I think/guess we are in Arabian Nights territory which is hundreds of years old.

As that nice Mr Khayam once remarked -

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it. :smile:

We're getting a long way from Covid in Earby. Sorry - must get out more. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A jug of wine, a loaf of bread and thou....
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well - go on then. . . . . :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:smile:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I inherited a version of the book with illustrations by Edmund Dulac but sold it back in the 1970s....wish I hadn't.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sellers remorse is the modern phrase. I've got plenty of it.

Problem is my lads still refer to me as Mr Trebus from time to time. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Noooo!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I'll stop now - promise, but first must just insert this link Rubaiyat of Omar Khayam with Edmund Dulac. It's all there. :smile: The illustrations are tremendous - and I'd say there was more than a touch of the Pre - Raphaelites about them. I like them a lot. Thanks for the info..
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Re the Mr Trebus video... Gosh, it’s all ‘out there’, haha. Wonder what happened when he got back home. Liked the quiet humour of the mortuary guys.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You are quite right David, fully vaccinated and a very protected environment but she still gets it again. I had exactly the same thought when she told me, there is no escape it's the 'New Normal'.
As for the quotation.....

"The Appointment in Samarra"
(as retold by W. Somerset Maugham [1933])

The speaker is Death

There was a merchant in Baghdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, Master, just now when I was in the marketplace I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me. She looked at me and made a threatening gesture, now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me. The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the marketplace and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, Why did you make a threatening gesture to my servant when you saw him this morning? That was not a threatening gesture, I said, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Bagdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra.
:biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Gloria wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 11:43
Sue wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 10:23 This is the announcement from Brittany ferries Gloria
There seemed to be no restrictions or concerns at all in France when we were there, it felt very “normal”.
And when we were there. It seems Brittany Ferries are responding to high levels of staff illness due to covid and trying to reduce the transmission. We have received no notifications other than this one and travel in two weeks. We do get updates from Brittany ferries and from both the French and British Government web sights as and when there are any changes
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 10:48 News this morning from daughter Susan that once again she is positive for Covid 19. She says the main symptom this time is a sore throat.....
Sorry to hear that Stanley. One of Bobs engineer friends is on his third infection in about 4 months. Bob was with him on Sunday at the park. The source of all his infections seem to be various grandchildren, yet he didn’t catch it when his wife had it. He does not feel ill.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It seems to be getting to be almost commonplace. Rather like seasonal flu or the common cold. I hope we are not being lulled into a sense of false security!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We're finding that people we know and who are in our age group are getting infected. During the earlier waves this wasn't so.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”