Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Tizer »

And mask wearing is not compulsory until Tuesday. By then much of the damage will be done. When will our ministers learn? They should have made it `with immediate effect' from their first announcement days ago. Same for flights - they should have brought down the shutters on flights from SA immediately.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree Peter.. hit it hard and fast.
Sajid Javez has just referred to our 'world class' testing and analysis services.
That means he thinks we are in trouble...
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This post is 'all over the place'. So am I. :smile:

There are reports from S. Africa that the latest infection is mild. Let's hope so. Omicron

Quote from the comments section elsewhere.

"They found it in people on planes. If it was bad it would be people in hospitals."

They say that over 60 people tested positive for Covid on arrival from South Africa, at Schiphol Airport Holland. That includes 13 with the new Omicron variant. Are there no checks on departing passengers - it's a less than 12 hour flight?

I read also that - "
"Authorities in the Netherlands are trying to get in contact with 5,000 other passengers who have arrived from South Africa, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia or Zimbabwe since Monday".

Mandatory mask wearing should keep the media busy next week when many will surely refuse to do so. Is it immediately a Police matter?

Government advice seems to be - to get the 'booster' jab. (That after saying the new variant has so many mutations that may not respond to the existing 'vaccine', and that AZ are working at pace to formulate a new one)

PS I recall hearing that if this version is more transmissible, then like the Delta variation has done, it will 'force out' the current infection and replace it. If it really is mild perhaps that would be good, and become endemic like the common cold. We could cope with that.

File under "Clutching at straws" :smile:
Last edited by Tripps on 28 Nov 2021, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Mismanagement as usual. Why make an announcement for a simple matter such as face masks and then say it is not mandatory for four days? It's not as is if no one has any masks, I have carried one in my back pocket now for over 18 months, (not the same one of course) I have several.

Never mind I will just carry on as what I consider the new normal. Wear a mask in crowded places and on public transport. Wash your hands and wipe down surfaces, It's not rocket science.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 15:29 Never mind I will just carry on as what I consider the new normal. Wear a mask in crowded places and on public transport. Wash your hands and wipe down surfaces, It's not rocket science.
Exactly but the great unwashed will see it as a further infringement of their civil liberties, until they catch something serious and realise their potential error. Face coverings are common sense in crowded places, there shouldn't be a need for compulsion but 'you can't put sense where there ain't none'
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 15:22 There are reports from S. Africa that the latest infection is mild. Let's hope so. Omicron
I can hear the sighs of relief now and the sound of masks being thrown in the bin!

Advice at present has been that lateral flow tests can tell you if you have any variant of Covid-19. Let's hope they will detect Omicron.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I understand that the UK Govt is/was tardy in carrying out (any) tests on most incoming flights over the last weeks, so we are in the dark in an unknown situation. If symptoms are mild will it still have long-term unknown effects, and if someone with a less robust immune situation does it remain fatal ? Interesting that the variation is one of a longer spike, possibly with protein variations, which rather asks how or why, such a chain situation evolved, should make the study of these things quite fascinating.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 15:29 Mismanagement as usual. Why make an announcement for a simple matter such as face masks and then say it is not mandatory for four days?
I presume technically it needs legislation / statutory order and a day for objections in the HoC. Daft, all Johnson had to say is the government is requesting that masks are worn with immediate effect, and this will additionally be incorporated into legislation on Tuesday.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 13:15 Amongst birds, peacocks were popular at $56

Is that as pets or for the table ? Did not the large english country estates breed peacocks for at least one dinner a year ?
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 13:42 Mr Javid added that the variant, first detected in South Africa, "may pose substantial risk to public health" as it could be "more transmissible than the delta variant" and could have the potential to evade current vaccines.

I'll be concerned when 'may', 'could be' and 'could have' are replaced with does and is in the statements.
Problem is if we find out they 'Are' it is indeed about three weeks min before such can be suggested, and the cat is out of the bag and gone. Hopefully the steps taken are just enough to get away with the luck that Omicron is not too bad, if so we might at least see a general infection reduction buying the NHS more time.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Quite amazing that the phrase 'Omicron variant' was unknown until just two days ago - now it's in common circulation.

Worrying to see the 'toll' has risen by 50 % in he last 24 hours.
► Show Spoiler
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I share your bemusement David. First we are told it is more transmissible than Delta, then that it is milder and by the way no need to worry about it until Tuesday. They have people who are paid fortunes to advise on communications, they should all be sacked immediately.
Ian states my stance perfectly. I never stopped wearing a mask on the bus or in shops. I was watching snooker at York, only saw one person wearing a mask and this was after Omicron was revealed and we all knew about it.
Later.... I'm listening to a professor from Witwatersrand University who is an expert on Covid and epidemiology. He was asked what he thought about Cyril Ramphosa's complaint that imposing restrictions on travellers from S Africa is unfair. He gave an interesting reply, basically what he said was that there is only one travel ban that makes sense and that is to ban all air travel so in effect Cyril has a point. If you think about it, the professor is right, if someone travels via an intermediate destination, will they be picked up by the precautions?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A Guardian headline says there are fears the omicron variant has been in the UK for 10 days. Some reports seem to imply that people infected with this variant take longer to become symptomatic, which means that the virus could have been circulating for longer than we expect. That trait would be a benefit to a virus - like a delayed action bomb.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 18:31 Worrying to see the 'toll' has risen by 50 % in the last 24 hours.
This morning my phone reports there are now six new cases in Scotland.

Don't forget your masks at 4am tomorrow morning!

Oh the phone also reports that Sajid Javid has said that people will be fined for not wearing masks on public transport or in shops!

How is that going to be enforced?
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 10:59 How is that going to be enforced?
I suspect that this pandemic might might mark a step change in the way we view tracking, monitoring, ID, AI, control, verification etc in the UK. We can expect more pandemics in the future and more movement of people globally due to climate change, war and famine. We'll end up having to become more like China whether we liberal-minded folk like it or not. Instead of hiding our personal details we'll be giving them out freely in order to receive the benefits of a civilised, healthy and safe society. It's going to need us all to accept great changes in our lives. If we don't then we'll wither away while China and similar countries thrive.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Bloody hell. An individual ID you'll soon have us joining the Common Market again. Isn't this what Macron was saying about illegal immigrants? Mind you we may find that the UK is populated by hordes of Russians and other suspects that wouldn't pass muster.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 10:59 This morning my phone reports there are now six new cases in Scotland.
Can't help thinking that all those flights into Glasgow a couple of weeks ago for Cop 26 may have been a factor. The number of delegates from Southern African countries was considerable. I've looked up the list.

All those private jet flights - and I bet they have colour televisions at home too. Still - considering the existential threat from Climate change is much greater than that posed by Covid, it was surely worth it. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 10:59 Don't forget your masks at 4am tomorrow morning!

Oh the phone also reports that Sajid Javid has said that people will be fined for not wearing masks on public transport or in shops!

How is that going to be enforced?
In an ideal world it should be 'self enforced'. There are two potential outcomes for not wearing one. 1. The potential to die or develop serious illness or inflict same on others, 2. Get a fine. The 'unwashed' seem more concerned about being fined...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The Shadow Minister for 'Health' Jonathan Ashworth MP,has failed to show up for the Covid statement by Mr Sajid Javid.
His deputy has told the House that he is ill with Covid, and is isolating.

PS I've 'borrowed' this image from a twitter site. (JHB) It is said to show a lunch attended by the Prime Minister today. Note that none of the guests is masked, or in any way social distanced. Note also that despite masks being mandatory after 4.00 am tomorrow that sort of gatheringwould still not break any rule. Yet as Juliet Hartley Brewer points out - children in schools will be obliged to wear masks.

However it's still not too clear - The Independent says -

"Face masks should be worn in communal areas in England's schools and colleges as part of efforts to slow the spread of the omicron Covid variant, the government has said. Pupils in year 7 and above, plus staff and visitors, are being “strongly advised” to wear a face covering under the “temporary and precautionary” measure, which will take effect from Monday. Masks will not be required in classrooms."

How can a classroom not be a 'communal area'? I'm going to stop trying to make any sense of this nonsense.
nomasks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We used to have a word in the army for the state of not bothering to obey rules, it derived from the regiments term in Egypt and was something like alekeefic. I thought you needed to know that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

A report that Javid has said that should the Omicron prove to be no worse than the Delta he would back peddle on the restrictions. Sounds reasonable until you think about it. Over a 1000 people a week are dying from the Delta so the implication is 1000 a week from Omicron is acceptable. Applying this standard to other areas of H&S so why do we bother about a few hundred deaths per year on the road or even fewer single figure carbon monoxide related deaths. The list is endless or is he setting the groundwork 'narrative' for a general relaxation of working conditions? Lies, damned lies and politicians.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mrs Tiz went to the local Post Office/shop yesterday and not everyone was wearing a mask. It's going to be difficult getting them back into masking again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing the above posts mentioning the Delta variant and showing Boris in a crowded room of maskless people, this thought has just floated to the surface in my brain...with so many people close by I wonder if you can catch both Delta and Omicron at the same event? And if so, will the effects be worse than getting just one variant?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bloody hell Peter! Just when I had stopped worrying too much..... Now I can dream about the God Variant.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 09:51 I wonder if you can catch both Delta and Omicron
A similar question was asked about getting flu and Covid at the same time. 'They' said it would be awful - but forgot that there has been no flu during the Covid outbreak, so could not possibly know. My understanding is that you only get one version at a time -so if the omicron is mild -and we don't yet know that- it may be a good thing. as it will replace the more deadly versions.

File under 'science for beginners'. :smile:
Stanley wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 03:31 it derived from the regiments term in Egypt and was something like alekeefic
I'd heard it (of course), and I've tried to get a reference, but failed. Doesn't seem to be in any miltary slang sites. Not even in th Cassell's dictionary. You can spell it how you like as it is a transliteration from Arabic. I took it to mean, god will decide, but it came to infer a resigned 'couldn't care less' attitude. The chap that used it the most had been posted to RAF El Adem in Lybia.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

I am not certain about only one variation at a time, have heard of people getting a variant in quick succession from another infection.

I wondered about the acceleration of booster vacinations to from three months of second vax, Answered today by one of the female doctors on ITV (or was it BBC morning show?), apparently studies show a three month top up overrides the 3 to 6 month diminishing effectiveness of the 1/2 jabs. Why Whitty or the Vaccines Minister did not say this on Sunday is a mystery to me.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”