Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Stanley »

I always had fun when twin town delegations visited Ellenroad Engine. One of them was from Bielefeld and the town manager (who had held the post for many years and was a famous 'fixer'.) took me on one side and asked whether I knew the Audi motto, 'Vorsprung durch Technik' I passed that test. Then he asked if I understood 'chutzpah' and I said it was peeing through a letter box then knocking on the door and asking how far it went. He said "Good! I suggest the motto for Ellenroad should be 'Vorprung durch chutzpah!'
Nothing to do with the topic but I thought you'd like that one....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 11:57
Big Kev wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 10:12 Hopefully it'll 'slap down' the conspiracy theorists.
I doubt it. :smile: It's a big coincidence that an Institute of Virology was nearby. The 'science' is largely beyond my understanding, but I'd be very wary of depending on any information coming with the approval of the Chinese Government,
There are two institutes in the town/city. I read two of the research papers on SARS (published I think in 2018/19) we know they were experimenting on gene editing to find why SARS was not as contagious (and possibly as dangerous), as first expected. What I didnt know was a later suggestion (not checked the truth), that some of this research was being funded by the USA ( presumably as general or specific science collaboration budgets rather than a chemical warfare one). Could these (academic) papers still be found or were they withdrawn or so difficult to search given all the informational noise since then i dont know. Could (any?) a safety protocol have been compromised, given the death of one (not one of the named so far as I know) reasearchers and China good at not sharing fully any lack of robustness, we dont know for certain. We also know that Bat Virus similar too ,if found in Laos , was also brought back to Whuhan for investigation. We also know the format of the market was a hygienic mess. So three potential areas of possibility, the lab leak could only be ruled out if we trust fully Chinese information and record keeping, it remains a possibility, if not a probability.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's no coincidence that an Institute of Virology was nearby. It was originally (from 1950s) a general microbiology research institute but when they began to realise the potential dangers to humans from animal-borne viruses they focused on that area of research. It was done in collaboration with US and UK (and probably other nationality) scientists and institutes. Foreign scientists visited regularly and worked in their labs. The institute was recognised for its progress in understanding these viruses and we've all benefited indirectly from their research studies.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have a sore throat and a mild headache which is marvellous :upside_down:
2 paracetamol have done their job for now, I've refrained from testing unless any other symptoms show themselves. Professor Francois Balloux says it's nothing to be concerned about, with a name like that I want to believe every word he says (my childish sense of humour showing itself again) :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Big Kev wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 12:35 I have a sore throat and a mild headache
Nothing to worry about. Covid seems to have finished. No numbers of new cases on Worldometers for several weeks now, so I guess there are not even enough for the Government to count. Nothing in the press recently, and no restrictions on almost anything.

They think it's all over . . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 14:23
Big Kev wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 12:35 I have a sore throat and a mild headache
Nothing to worry about. Covid seems to have finished. No numbers of new cases on Worldometers for several weeks now, so I guess there are not even enough for the Government to count. Nothing in the press recently, and no restrictions on almost anything.

They think it's all over . . . . :smile:
To be honest, if it is Covid I've not even broken step.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think it's still being taken seriously in places like care homes but in most places now Masks are voluntary. I still use on in the supermarket.....(and gloves as well because I have always been in the shed first so no point taking them off.)
The 'New Normal'?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Cousins in Wales have had covid over the last month, and felt pretty rough. I seem to get odd days of sore throats and sneezing , dont know if it has been the odd instance of the last of the hay fever, but seems to clear up by afternoon If I up my red fruits juice intake
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

An update with some info on the strains in the vaccines...
`Flu and Covid could make this a hard winter for UK' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63045190LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We have just booked our Covid Autumn boosters. Next Monday at one of the chemists in Nelson. We could have gone to the booster bus which is in Barlick tomorrow but we have this weekend's Alan Parkinson tribute to help with on Saturday and Sunday. Last Phizer booster made us both feel rough for a few days so we decided on the Monday option. Sally' birthday later next week so we hope Monday will be about right.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mrs Tiz's sister and her hubby got Covid a week or so before us but they're still suffering from it while we're well out of it. Perhaps they had a different strain. I notice that BBC report says: `The UK is using an updated vaccine for the Covid booster, targeting both the original and the Omicron version of the pandemic virus'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At the moment any reactions I am having have more to do with the flu jab I think than Covid..... But of course I can't be certain!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I dug this info on the composition of the 22/23 flu vaccine from a 61-page UK Health Security Agency document...
`This vaccine composition differs from the 2021 to 2022 vaccine composition as 1 of the influenza A virus strains and 1 of the influenza B virus strains have been replaced'.
This might account for some mild side effects because we might not have had those strains in the vaccine previously.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If it protects us from the virus that Australia has had to deal with this winter it will do Peter. Reports are that their strain has been vicious.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We had our Covid boosters this morning over at Nelson. Pharmacy had a steady stream so we were in and out in about 5 minutes. See how this one goes, the last one made us both rough for a few days.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We had ours this morning at Taylors Pharmacy in Nelson, straight in and out with no waiting around.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

That's where we went Wendy, there were about four in front of us after we had checked in.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We were there a bit early for a 10.30 appointment. We are both starting to feel a bit under the weather already!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

This coming Wednesday afternoon at Colne Health centre for us. We hope.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We had our Covid jabs on 17th sept and felt rough for a few days.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite a lot of people reporting after effects. Not sure whether from Booster or Winter Flu jab. In my case the latter I think. Daughter Susan reports all the symptoms of winter flu and is testing negative for Covid. She's been exposed to Covid at Thornton Care home as they have a flare-up there. Sounds to me like winter flu jab last week is the culprit.
(I don't suppose it really matters.... If it protects against what is reported as a particularly nasty flu strain this winter it will be worth while.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Not had our flu jabs yet so the fact that we both feel like we have been hit by a train is definitely the Pfizer Covid booster. Couldn't get comfy in bed last night so we both feel like we haven't slept very well. Doing nothing today apart from Paracetamol and lots of fluid as recommended.

Hoping to feel a bit better for tonight, it's our monthly cancer support meeting at the centre.
Ian
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

There is a pretty strong normal cold going about too ( poss enough to finish some people off ). Seems to be more in city areas where we all rub shoulders with one another but any indoor event will be a risk too ).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's interesting Ian and it knocks my theory about the flu jab on the head. Susan reported exacly the same symptoms as you. Yesterday she said "Rough night last night, I feel like I’ve been hit by a bus!". The good news is she feels as though she is mending now. I think it took me five days to get over it.....
Best of luck with the recovery for both of you!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I was aching all over by last night having had just a sore arm for 24 hours. Early bed and a couple of paracetamol seem to have sorted me out. Colin was busy in his workshop most of the day and felt nothing!

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”