Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Stanley »

This topic seems to have become moribund. Is this because the Covid19 pandemic is officially over? The rest of the world doesn't seem to think so.
What happened to vaccinate the world in order to protect us from new strains? Doesn't this matter any more?
Or is the present lack of any focus on Covid because the government needs to move on, in other words, not a medical assessment but a political strategy, Ignore Covid, get the economy going again.
Or have I simply missed the point.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I think it's because the media have stopped reporting on it. The Daily Express/Mail have got bored with it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It is because are in the summer decline. I read yesterday that over 92% of the over 12 s have had one vaccination and i think it was 80% gave had two. Combined with the number of people that have had the illness the immunity level in the community is high and the disease...in this country...in just another background respiratory disease. I will try and find the article
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 04:48 Or is the present lack of any focus on Covid because the government needs to move on, in other words, not a medical assessment but a political strategy, Ignore Covid, get the economy going again.
There we go again. Move on. Its really a statement of what happened in the past needs to be forgotten. Boris likes to concentrate on the first couple of months of vaccine rollout where we did actually lead the world. Then after that we slipped down the league table to be one of the slowest. Moving on also means forgetting about the PPE contracts going to his mates, the thousands of lives lost in the care homes. The Express and the Mail may have got bored with it but people are still going down with covid which shows up as delays or manpower shortages but never gets mentioned unless its a handy cover for the Brexit balls up.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I stand by what I said. The last chart I looked at a week ago showed incidence the same as last June, but instead of being regional the low figures are now national. I can’t find Jonathon Van Tamms interview I read yesterday, and I trust what he said. Also my own biological knowledge as I have said before shows it to be endemic. Its not the threat it was as so many have immunity, there are other things to worry about such as Ukraine, and lying Boris .

As for other countries those that did total isolation for months and months, as expected once the borders were open the numbers rose. Others have a higher incidence than they own up to and therefore will probably have a higher level of active immunity through exposure. As for distribution of vaccines who knows as no one seems to talk about it. Some countries had a stockpile that they could not distribute due to community fear and lack of manpower. Many of these went of of date...or so media reports imply. I have seen no legitimate articles on it. It would be interesting to see wether the mass pooling of vaccination resources actually happened, and its mot just the UK we are talking about here
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 07:56 Its not the threat it was as so many have immunity, there are other things to worry about such as Ukraine, and lying Boris .
I understand where you are coming from but people are still getting covid even after several vaccinations. So the population has not gained immunity but a good resistance. I try to follow Tim Spector on Zoe, but why should we be searching for information from private sources when the government has all this information available but is keeping it quiet?

I take it that 'Lying Boris' is one of the main things we should be really concerned with. How must worse can things get than to be lied to by your Prime Minister.

PS, I appreciate all the work you do in keeping us up to date on these medical issues not everybody has the background or tenacity to search these things out.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 08:29 but people are still getting covid even after several vaccinations. So the population has not gained immunity but a good resistance.
I'm trying hard not to respond but. . . .

In fact - no I won't. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 10:23 plaques wrote: ↑09 Jun 2022, 09:29
but people are still getting covid even after several vaccinations. So the population has not gained immunity but a good resistance.
I'm trying hard not to respond but. . . .

In fact - no I won't.
Go on be a devil. :devil: just pick a couple of cherries without stones.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 06:18 I read yesterday that over 92% of the over 12 s have had one vaccination and i think it was 80% gave had two
I tried to get some numbers on that but failed. About 4 pages down on a Google search I found that the take up figure for Milton Keynes is around 5%.

Since the current variant is fairly harmless to children, provides no immunity to infection, and does not prevent it being transmitted - I think they're good judges in MK.
Sue wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 07:56 . I can’t find Jonathon Van Tam's interview I read yesterday, and I trust what he said
Except when he implied that face coverings were ineffective?
plaques wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 12:07
Go on be a devil. :devil:
OK I'm easily led - but it's probably a mistake. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It is generally accepted that no vaccines are 100% effective. I believe flu is about 60% . I don’t hear discussions like this about flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 17:03 It is generally accepted that no vaccines are 100% effective. I believe flu is about 60% . I don’t hear discussions like this about flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm
Or any other respiratory disease...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Some vaccines get pretty close though - e.g. smallpox and polio.

I've discussed the flu vaccine on here a few times. I read that it's reformulated every year by a best guess as to which variant will emerge, largely based on the latest Australian version. Some years it's more effective than others. Some years it has no effect.

I was right in my instinct to shut up and go away. I have no special knowledge on the subject, and what I say may be wrong. There's nothng to be gained from this conversation, and I wouldn't want to fall out with anyone over it.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Some are very effective becaue the organism is stable, smallpox is one of them.

Any way here is your data for this week , well actually not this week because of the jubilee . I think it is May 22 nd
89645D84-7A36-43BD-87E0-BBE86783A44E.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

And the% population with antibodies, ie some degree of immunity

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... antibodies
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

And from the New York Times, though I would rather it was a scientific source
947A738D-1AD3-41AF-AC1F-A513D444CD7A.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Interesting table here. As far as I am aware these are all stable, rarely if ever mutating organisms or should I say mutating with little significance. This table is not-complete by any means

https://www.immune.org.nz/vaccines/effi ... ectiveness
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its a immunological mine field. The BCG. Vaccination against TB is only 70 % ish effective.

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/bcg-vaccine
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

And what was an efficient vaccine is changing due to new mutations now having an effect

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-hea ... ts-n982816
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

TB, flu, whooping cough, all killers but we don’t go through our daily lives discussing how effective or not effective our vaccinations have been . What is important is that even these less efficient vaccines have a significant effect on restricting severity and spread of the disease in the population
Last edited by Sue on 09 Jun 2022, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I'm proud to say that our household has a 100% record for both covid and flu vaccinations. Having said that over the past two years it all adds up to 6 vaccinations plus whatever it was that hit us before the Wuhan covid was officially announced. Pfizer and Moderna both announcing a booster which will cover 30+ variants with the possibility of joining the two together to cover the gaps in each which to my mind its asking a lot of the immune system to soak up without itself being put under some stress. Against this is the fact that while there are thousands of people flying round the world engaging in activities and lifestyles that don't bare thinking about the end product is that we need every bit technical wizardry that the scientific community can come up with.

The answer appears to be 'keep taking the pills'. :geek:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 19:44 I'm proud to say that our household has a 100% record for both covid and flu vaccinations. Having said that over the past two years it all adds up to 6 vaccinations plus whatever it was that hit us before the Wuhan covid was officially announced. Pfizer and Moderna both announcing a booster which will cover 30+ variants with the possibility of joining the two together to cover the gaps in each which to my mind its asking a lot of the immune system to soak up without itself being put under some stress. Against this is the fact that while there are thousands of people flying round the world engaging in activities and lifestyles that don't bare thinking about the end product is that we need every bit technical wizardry that the scientific community can come up with.

The answer appears to be 'keep taking the pills'. :geek:
Exactly , you beat me to my last comment addition
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I think an apology is in order here.
Sue wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 06:18 I read yesterday that over 92% of the over 12's have had one vaccination
I read that and for some reason (perhaps seeing 'over 12's) took it to be a figure for child vaccinations, rather than the intended almost the whole population.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tripps wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 20:00 I think an apology is in order here.
Sue wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 06:18 I read yesterday that over 92% of the over 12's have had one vaccination
I read that and for some reason (perhaps seeing 'over 12's) took it to be a figure for child vaccinations, rather than the intended almost the whole population.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Apology accepted. I often misread things myself as I scan read. Your error stirred me into action, checking I had read it correctly and I ended up delving into interesting stuff, more than I intended. 😊
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I appreciate all the work you do in keeping us up to date on these medical issues not everybody has the background or tenacity to search these things out."
I want to second Ken's remarks. I think I have a handle on it now and it is as I thought, we don't have immunity from the vaccinations but enhanced resistance. Now I start wondering what the next pandemic (Or even serious epidemic....) will be, for there surely has to be one.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”