Today I shall be Mainly...

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 07:30 Its the iPad stanley which is a pressure pad in the tablet. When we asked the experts they said get a new ipad. Not the answer I wanted .
You can buy relatively cheap replacement iPad screens on ebay and there are fairly extensive videos, on youtube, to show you how to replace it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like major surgery to me Kev. It would scare me to death!
Getting the base plate set up for machining on the horizontal mill. Looking forwards to it!
Getting my flue jab at the surgery at 11AM and yes, I have remembered the tip about enquiring about the Pneumonia jab!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 11 Nov 2019, 04:40 Sounds like major surgery to me Kev. It would scare me to death!
It's not too bad a job, I've replaced laptop screens before but suspect my hands are too big for an ipad :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My eyes are my limiting factor. I'm worrying already about some parts of the beam engine.... I shall manage! I look at the engine I made when I was almost blind and take heart.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes I have heard of people replacing screens for iPads. I will plod on for the time being but it is an option

This morning is a trip to the hairdressers, and this evening art. Otherwise no exact plans just a few ideas floating around in my head.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got household tasks out of my system yesterday so today my eye is firmly fixed on the shed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I sewed yesterday afternoon and made my lurex trousers. Today is the hospice shop this afternoon and pilates and yoga this evening. This morning I want to go to Dunelm, they have some nice bedding, ideal for our twin bedded room in France, then I can throw away the spare bedding which is er rather old! It was Julias when she was 11! For years it has resided in the bedding box as emergency bedding but I think the time has come to lay it to rest. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I enjoyed myself in the shed yesterday doing good work with the horizontal mill. I only did an hour, I am out of training and need to play myself back in gently. Hoping to be in there again today.
Bedding and mattresses. Conventional wisdom says I should ditch my 40+ year old mattress and get some new bedding as well but I don't see the point when they are serving me so well! It would cost over £1200 today to replace my mattress with the same model, perhaps that's why it has lasted so long.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I could not find the bedding I wanted in our local Dunelm so came home and ordered it online to be collected from the same shop today. That gives me time to wash and dry it before our short trip to France next week, to close up the house. We shall finish the garden tidying and see Roland, before returning a week later

Its cold and misty out there today not nice. I don’t think we shall be walking today. Bob is busy helping his friends widow clear out his workshop. Richard left all the contents of the workshop to the engineering club and i gather its quite some task clearing it out. Bob goes over every Wednesday with other club members. It took up the whole of a double garage.

I shall sew today, but also have some writing todo for Creative Writing tomorrow.

Stuart castings , Bob often talks of them, Stanley. What will it be this time
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday in the shed. Does Bob ever look at Shed Matters? I think it might interest him. To answer your question, this time it's a beam engine Sue.
I know a bit about widows and workshops! There is no other class of widow so short-changed and cheated as one who is clearing a workshop out and my solution has been the same as Bob's friend, give it away when you die and avoid loading whoever is left with the hassle. I've already given mine to Mo my son in law. Some of my cheapest buys have been from widows but I always made it clear that I couldn't afford to pay the full value. That was never a bar because my offer was always more than anyone else's!
When I was at REW my mate Paul came to me one day and asked me if I would go with him after work to see a widow in Milnrow who was clearing her husband's shed and had no idea of values. I went down and gave her what advice I could and target values but alerted her to the pitfalls. When I had done she insisted that I choose something as a reward and that's how I got my slip gauges and height gauge. Good quality but almost unsaleable.
I shall be in the shed again today. Alert Bob to Shed Matters Sue, I think it will interest him.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I will Stanley. Bob guessed it was a beam engine.

Late reading this today, it was all excitement in the Smith ( nee Hayter) and Hayter households this morning. Messages and photos going backwards and forwards between the two from Birmingham airport at 6.00 am as Eve ( aged 10) was off on her Japanese educational adventure from school. So exciting , and I may be biased ....NO! You say...but she looked so mature and grownup. So proud of her. They flew to Paris , waited 4 hours and left for Tokyo. Its an 11 hour flight and arrives at midnight, 9.00 am there. There is a packed programme of activities for 10 days including a sports activity in the new olympic stadium and watching the Paralympic basket ball team training. So much on the list I have forgotten it all

Otherwise a busy day, art this morning, creative writing this afternoon, yoga tonight though I am not too keen to go out again , its a bit cold! 💨🙁
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tell Bob he'd be welcome on a shed visit....
That's quite an adventure for a 10 year old....
Never got in shed yesterday, other calls on my attention won. We'll see about it today but it's butcher's and shopping.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Bob enjoyed his read . I have given him your invite to the shed

Eve arrived safe and well with the other 9 Coventry Ambassadors . They were met by the media, photos show a happy but tired group. I think they will be ready for their beds tonight having lost a nights sleep. They arrived midnight our time, but 9.00 am in Tokyo.

Today is art then lunch out as usual being Friday. Bob has his engineers meeting tonight and my night for feet up, TV and a cuppa. I love my activities which keep me alert and active but at this time of year being out every evening Monday to Thursday requires effort.
Last edited by Sue on 15 Nov 2019, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He'd be welcome Sue.
Shed has taken a back seat as cooking and shopping muscle in. I have to support my own sky and these matters have to be addressed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shed is on the cards, especially as Sue's Bob is on there egging me on!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Much better weather here today...( :biggrin2: that would be right! We are back on the overnight ferry tomorrow night).
Long day tomorrow, as we must be out of the caravan park at 10am and the ferry doesn't leave until 10.30pm. That means hours of playing tourist...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You can never escape Sod's Law Maz!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Sod's Law exactly! In this part of the world NOTHING is open on Sunday. But I shall boil water for the Thermos in the morning, and I have my knitting. ( wink...it is coping with "the blow fly trapped in a bottle " that will be the biggest chore. When HE is bored, life can be trying!)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Marilyn wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 07:26 Sod's Law exactly! In this part of the world NOTHING is open on Sunday.
How about going to Church?
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Packing today for a week in Brittany, closing everything up for the winter and hopefully seeing Roland settled in his new home.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Plaques...not an option....I am not a Christian, I have no religious affiliation... I hope we can still be friends.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember when Janet went to NZ for a trip. She said it was like Barlick in the seventies, dead on Sunday and same things in the shops.
Maz, join the club, I have a friend who's a Jesuit Priest and says he wants to baptise me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Off to Coventry today to see the family minus Eve of course who is in Japan . Apparently there are loads of photos being sent, I think by the teacher. They are probably on a special webpage. Anyway they spoke to Eve yesterday, she looks amazingly happy but is tired from a very packed programme. We are staying overnight in Coventry then doing a bit of UK sight seeing tomorrow before the ferry tomorrow night. We may go and see the Mary Rose and museum in Portsmouth or have a trip round Warwick. It depends on the weather
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Could be a decent crossing Sue, we are having a spell of quieter weather. I hope so.

I shall continue my pursuit of a perfect flywheel!

At the moment, 07:00, I am in the middle of building an oxtail stew so I might be a bit late in the shed but it's still on the cards!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes, I noted that in Portsmouth it is not very windy tonight. We stayed overnight in the Premier Inn near Julias, and have just woken. Its a good comfy bed and I slept 8 hours solid.

Yesterday we took Briony for a walk down to the local park . Its about 2 miles there , a walk round the edges and back. It started to rain as we left and became a deluge. We got soaked, including feet and socks, I think the shoes and socks are still drying! I then spent the afternoon playing with Briony on the laptop. The school has a website with numerous educational games and challenges, art, maths, reading etc the homework ones only supervised but the non homework I helped with. It was quite good fun especially the drawing and colouring challenges which were obviously to develop computer dexterity. There was even a computer programming game. We had great fun for a couple of hours on a wet afternoon.

We are in no rush to leave this morning, just letting the rush hour die down, then I think we may tootle on down to Portsmouth to visit the Mary Rose museum.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”