Today I shall be Mainly...

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by PanBiker »

Sounds about right Tiz for developers seeking profit. Build anywhere as long as you can turn a coin. We have similar problems with minor tweaked plans for previously turned down applications. Good luck with any objections you may have.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"developers are trying to take advantage of people being distracted by the covid lockdown. "
Dead right Tiz and there's a lot of it about at the moment!
You do right to be wary about the foul water pumping station. That signals that the development is below the level of the existing sewers and they are very problematic. One major problem is that they have to have a holding tank at low level and pump intermittently when the level is high enough for a sustained flow. This means that the effluent is developing as it sits and the act of pumping it releases sewer gas in the rising main. That effervesces off when it discharges to the main sewer and unless precautions are taken results in excess has looking for ways out. I speak from experience in Addingham when I lived there and it took over two years to alleviate the problem. Ask the question about what has been done to address the matter. If they say it doesn't exist they are lying.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"developers are trying to take advantage of people being distracted by the covid lockdown. "
Dead right Tiz and there's a lot of it about at the moment!
You do right to be wary about the foul water pumping station. That signals that the development is below the level of the existing sewers and they are very problematic. One major problem is that they have to have a holding tank at low level and pump intermittently when the level is high enough for a sustained flow. This means that the effluent is developing as it sits and the act of pumping it releases sewer gas in the rising main. That effervesces off when it discharges to the main sewer and unless precautions are taken results in excess has looking for ways out. I speak from experience in Addingham when I lived there and it took over two years to alleviate the problem. Ask the question about what has been done to address the matter. If they say it doesn't exist they are lying.

Having fun with bigger spanners! I shall be in there today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As usual I shall be trying to improve the shining hour, it fights the boredom I hear so many complaints about. A clean up in the shed I think, too much grinding dust floating about! Then a good think about the direction of travel with the beam engine. I admit that I am having to keep my nose to the grindstone because much of the work that is imminent is fiddly and demanding. The irritation factor rises when I have to do small work....
I had a funny experience yesterday. I sent that hilarious video of the women on exercise bikes to the grandchildren and I think they were a bit shocked. I was asked if I had been hacked! I think they have difficulty understanding that I can still be amused by something with a sexual connotation. They forget that we invented sex. Just because there's snow on the roof doesn't mean the fire has gone out!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Well what a week. Its taken some time for sleep patterns to return to normal.
We have gardened and walked, and walked and walked out in the hills, lovely long walks. We must have walked about on a average 5 miles each time we went out. Not a lot by a walkers standards but for someone who has only walked the length of the garden and back for 8 weeks, to have covered 27 miles in a week is pretty good. My hips and legs ache though. Its so flat where we are in Brittany.

We even mended the leak in the garden pond one day, or so we thought. The water level was the lowest we had seen it. Using the pump from France we emptied a few more inches and found a gaping hole, now mended. We dredged the bottom and the little feeder pools, which creates a sort of waterfall when the pond water fountain and pump is switched on, and refilled the pond. Next morning, the level had gone down again, AND the pump for the aerating fountain is also broken. Ah well, back to the drawing board as they say.

I have done some sewing, a few repairs and started a summer shirt for Bob. I daren’t try on the yellow top, I know it will be too big having lost inches as well as weight( all those daily pilates and yoga classes ) . It may be time to put the expensive buttons in my button box :laugh5:

And we have managed to arrange two Tesco delivery slots and two click and collect slots taking us up to mid June. Our first order came on Monday and there were no items missing or substituted. It was a very big shop too.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds as though re-entry is going well Sue. How's the tooth and earache? Thinking about you.
" It may be time to put the expensive buttons in my button box"
Please do Sue, I shall be dreaming about that yellow top! Be grateful it isn't part of a larger project and has got to be finished.

I am ready for the next move forward now....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Both subsided Stanley. I think the earache is more linked to catarrh which has got bad since we came home having basically gone back a season into my hay fever season. The tooth hursts under pressure but nothing more. I now know which tooth it is, well one of two. I can cope with this. I no longer take painkillers but still rub the affected area with Sensodyne toothpaste.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad you can live with it Sue but I still look forward to you getting a complete cure!
I've been in the shed doing one of my least favourite jobs, woodworking.... I have just finished getting rid of the dust! More later in shed matters.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looks fine but I hate woodworking dust! It needs another day to dry so today is more thinking and perhaps shed when I have cooked. Lots to do, it depends on the target. Favourite is the valve eccentric...
Otherwise normal routines and making sure my kids know I love them....
I've started the day with a cooking storm. Chicken wings and veggies are in a CI pot in the oven cooking slowly and I have a pan full of mashed veggies, parsnips, carrots and cauliflower prepared and ready for the fridge later when it has cooled a bit. Definitely not time wasted and I have no qualms about missing the shed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Stanley, I imagine with you cooking ‘so early’ your neighbours must often wake up and smell some lovely aromas coming from your place. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There have been no complaints Cathy.
I am just going to have a healthy breakfast of mixed veggies. All is going well, the sun is shining and we have just had a nice trot on the Green.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cooking done. I shall be in the shed. I have been thinking and realise there is a lot more to do before I can use the base. I love the conundrums that a job like this throws at you. Never a dull moment during the day, any time there is a space in my head my mind goes to the latest problem. No such thing as being bored!
Good coffee is an effective lubricant for the brain. Must make a pot now!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've made a good start to the day. Breakfast ready to be prepared, a load of washing done and dealt with and two hours in the shed. The shed isn't what you'd call 'hard' work but it's light exercise and two hours is about my limit these days. Never mind, I reckon I do well for my mileage! Now for a sit, a rest and a smoke before I take Jack for his short trot on the Green. The day is going well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Today I've been enjoying the celebrations because the town where I live has officially become a city. Days of preparations have all come to a head. The central government gave Pingguo 35,000,000 rmb, about 4 million quid, for the cause. Hillsides have been lit up, buildings (including ours) have had exterior lighting installed, and everywhere has been spruced up and "beautified". Our roof garden overlooks the People's Square and tonight there was a show, followed by a fireworks display which the Chinese do properly, and then a water and music show on the huge fountain in the square, sending water up to 100 metres in the air. We had a grandstand view and enjoyed it with a couple of neighbours and their son. The TV cameras were there including a drone, so we'll see it all again and again over the next few days. So now I live in a city again, drat!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Sounds wonderful China.
Can we have any pics to show how lovely it all looked. 😊
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Do you have to wear a suit now when you go out?

Looks a bit of a mess but good progress. I shall be in there again today. Otherwise dealing with the demands of the day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Emptied, cleaned and reloaded the China/Glass Cabinet today. Took me several hours. Kept me occupied anyway!
( Almost as bad a job as washing all the glasses in the bar!)
Another job out of the way until Spring...
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures! The lighting contractors required further access to the walls around our roof top and it involved us moving the chicken enclosure so things got a bit messy. The lights they have already installed make our area look fabulous so I'll post some pictures when we get things tidy again. The contractors even offered to fix up a couple of extra lights anywhere we need them. Al-fresco dining in style is anticipated later.

We rarely use suits in China, last time I wore one was for a funeral service 2 years ago. It's 35C here and casual wear for everything is the order of the day! Even Xi Jinping is usually casually dressed.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am casually dressed also after two hours in the shed. Now I'm having a sit down, a cup of tea and a quiet smoke before doing anything else that is productive. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

China, no photos , if not why not?
I was so looking forward to them. Hmmph!
😉. It’s the little things at the moment. 😊
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

So long as the chooks are ok.... :biggrin2:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

China, I hope you were careful when moving the chicken enclosure and didn't create too much dust. We don't want a chicken virus epidemic sweeping across the globe. You'll have Donald Trump blaming you if it happened! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

DT is blaming China already....... :biggrin2:

We are entering fiddly country. Very challenging, I have to make a conscious decision which eye to trust... A bit of a handicap but we will overcome it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have lost the shed I think. Administrative matters and preparing food have got in the way. But no sweat, I am not on piece work!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Coffee after breakfast in the garden. Two weeks gardening paying off, just waiting for zll those buds to open. Ours is definitely a June garden
11C41174-3B61-478D-BA25-7C05E52443CB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”