Today I shall be Mainly...

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by PanBiker »

Sue wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 07:32 I have just had another message and virtual cake from Erin et al, with full musical rendering of Happy Birthday, candles and empty plates after eating my cake 🤣🤣
Happy Birthday Sue. :mexwave:
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Many Happy Returns Sue 🍷 💐
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 08:41 Sounds good Maz!
Sue, virtual you will be piling the weight on with all these cakes :laugh5:
Virtual weight is OK Wendy :laugh5: thanks for the birthday greetings. A January birthday girl gets used to cold, wet, foggy , windy celebrations 😆

An extract from the tale of the Lambton Worm .

But the worm got fat an' growed and' growed
An' growed an aaful size;
He'd greet big teeth, a greet big gob,
An' greet big goggle eyes.
An' when at neets he craaled aboot
Te pick up bits o' news,
If he felt dry upon the road,
He milked a dozen coos.

This feorful worm wad often feed
On caalves an' lambs an' sheep,
An' swally little barins alive
When they laid doon te sleep.
An' when he'd eaten aall he cud
An' he had had he's fill,
He craaled away an' lapped he's tail
Seven times roond Pensher Hill.

I always thought this line was THREE times not seven so an incorrect drawing here

1C3F6282-776D-40BE-944D-CBF80C358CFB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I enjoyed that about the Worm...

We decided on another bike ride of about 16 kilometres today...the perfect thing to work off a Bacon Butty Breakfast. It would take us past the Sunday Markets, then along another coastal path, up hill, to a lookout.
Rain stopped the fun before we got to the markets, so we turned back...only doing just over 3 kilometres. We were water logged by the time we made it back to base.
At some point on the ride, my son cracked up laughing, because he suddenly spotted that I was riding in my SLIPPERS! I had forgotten to put my shoes on.
Not my best look... :laugh5:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like the Worm.....
I had a successful remedial day in the shed on Margaret's engine and will attempt the same this morning.
Snow and ice has gone and usual exercise was reinstated yesterday afternoon. It was possible to walk safely!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Love the look of your pink slippers / ugg boots Marilyn.
I reckon you will start a new trend. :laugh5:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Just in a rush this morning, Sis. Doesn’t happen often ( though :sad: I have had a few fashion failures over the years. I tend to step outside the door and take off without checking) :biggrin2: that is just ME!
I am the one who wore a tea towel draped over one shoulder to the supermarket once... :biggrin2:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Cosy slippers for a warm climate Maz!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Absolutely true Wendy. It was 17C when we got up and I cooked Bacon Butty for three...about 19C when we set off. I need the slippers because my right foot suffers numbness after the disc herniation. If I keep that foot warm, it stops painful cramps. Nerve damage is a buggar. (The other foot overheats...what do you do?)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Love those slippers Maz.

It promises to be a drier day today , so I think that we will do a walk after our brunch breakfast. I am logging our miles on our virtual walk to Paris from the Tower of London. The weather has been so bad we haven’t got very far yet. The site I am logging them on has a google map that shows the route and you can enlarge it to see where you have got to. We are opposite ASDA in Blackheath, very exciting! We would like to get to Dartford pretty soon...hopefully

Having now finished my art picture of the Lambton worm I shall start my instruction sheet for the craft group I am leading on zoom in two weeks, I don’t like things hanging on. I also hope to get some short letters written today, so I think that will pretty much fill my day. In my spare time If there is any, I have the jigsaw, two lovely birthday books to read and the next chapter of CELTS to do,I shan’t be bored. Yesterday we did have a couple of visitors at the door for a socially distanced birthday greeting. I felt sorry for them stood out in the cold and wind. How I look forward to having friends round for a cuppa and a natter.

Anyway, thats it. Have a good day, stay warm and safe. I see the numbers here in Rochdale are now steadily falling. We are next to the bottom of the Greater Manchester list which must be a first.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Marilyn, Don't worry about the slippers Hermes the Greek god had a pair winged boots. The slippers just need trimming up a bit and they are just the job on an electric bike. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, you do find some imaginative projects. The virtual walk intrigues me. Do you walk on water at the Channel or sneak through the tunnel?
Exciting morning in the shed, I broke a tap and was lucky to get it out.

I've got the valve gear sorted and have found the real root of my woes. The eccentric hasn't enough throw. I can make a new eccentric to fit the existing strap so I'll be having a look at that tomorrow.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I had no problem pedalling, Plaques. All was going well until son overtook me at speed and started laughing. Otherwise, I would have pedalled along, not knowing.
I have only been comfortable in either my slippers or one pair of sneakers for two years now. I hate that I can only wear other flat shoes for about a half an hour before that foot goes into continuous painful cramp, which spreads rather quickly to the calf and the upper leg. I hate thinking I will spend the rest of my life in lambs wool slippers! Especially in our Summer!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Broken taps. YouTube is full of tips on how to avoid breaking taps, usually they take the form of mini tap holds or mini thumb screws of about one inch diameter. Its all about getting the feel of the load on the tap.

Marilyn, I'm totally opposite to you. I've very little feeling in my foot and lower leg so at with any lack of concentration I topple over. The answer is boots with tall above ankle sides. Ok in winter but a bit of a pain in summer.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Try pedalling Plaques. Panbiker will tell you it takes quite a bit of concentration to zero in on where your foot is every few seconds, especially if you hit a bump. Hard work...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, it is my current Nemesis.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

What is the source of your sensory deficit in your foot, Plaques? Nerve damage?
(See...I get really angry, because I know there is absolutely no problem with my foot...nor my leg. I have a perfectly normal limb. My problem is the spinal nerve, so I treat the limb as normally as possible and exercise it as a normal limb to maintain muscle. I will not have it wither away due to a nerve deficit.) I just have to keep it warm, unfortunately, even in our summer heat.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley, I am not sure how we cross the channel . Perhaps we swim . Bob suggests fish and chips on the ferry :laugh5:

https://worldwalking.org/
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Marilyn wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 10:30 What is the source of your sensory deficit in your foot, Plaques? Nerve damage?
20+ years ago two discs went pop big style. At that time the top surgeon ex- Bosnia war zone said it was to dangerous to operate. When the pain subsided it left me with no feeling in my legs. Fortunately the left leg recovered completely but in the the right leg below the knee only my big toe knew what was going on. The remaining muscles gradually atrophied and I picked up my limp as many people do at my age. Can't recover the muscle loss so I keep my weight down to compensate. Amazing how a few lbs makes a difference between walking in a straight line and walking in a circle. :biggrin2:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Made it to Dartford today :laugh5:
DBA2EF18-4971-4B41-8990-9B5DD3C00DFA.png
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 13:06
Marilyn wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 10:30 What is the source of your sensory deficit in your foot, Plaques? Nerve damage?
20+ years ago two discs went pop big style. At that time the top surgeon ex- Bosnia war zone said it was to dangerous to operate. When the pain subsided it left me with no feeling in my legs. Fortunately the left leg recovered completely but in the the right leg below the knee only my big toe knew what was going on. The remaining muscles gradually atrophied and I picked up my limp as many people do at my age. Can't recover the muscle loss so I keep my weight down to compensate. Amazing how a few lbs makes a difference between walking in a straight line and walking in a circle. :biggrin2:
That sounds nasty. My one ruptured disc was removed, with the risk factor being that I could end up in a wheel chair. I did not. He was a top Manchester and European spinal surgeon who just happened to be the consultant surgeon at our main hospital . I was lucky and have never had problems since. He was the one who told me to do pilates and I could go back to yoga when I felt strong enough and was pain free. Every day I am thankful to that surgeon,
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 14:13 Made it to Dartford today :laugh5: DBA2EF18-4971-4B41-8990-9B5DD3C00DFA.png
I used to work in Dartford, very close to where you ended up. West Hill Hospital (opposite end of town to East Hill funnily enough).
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Went out for a walk today, been stuck indoors since Wednesday working.
Stocked up the fridge and freezer, from Barnoldswick Aldi, this morning and blew the cobwebs out of the car (must review my annual mileage when I renew the insurance next month). Went for a walk just after lunch, Skipton Old Road to Kelbrook and back again, nothing too taxing but it was nice to get out in the fresh air.
20210117_154858.jpg
This just about sums up the weather today.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes it was nice to get out, made a change not to be surrounded by fog
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 17:53
Sue wrote: 17 Jan 2021, 14:13 Made it to Dartford today :laugh5: DBA2EF18-4971-4B41-8990-9B5DD3C00DFA.png
I used to work in Dartford, very close to where you ended up. West Hill Hospital (opposite end of town to East Hill funnily enough).
Bob used to work near Dartford, he worked at the technical services at the old Littlebrook power station for 18 months .

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”