Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Marilyn »

Ok.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two hours in the shed... and we have progress.

All the carronades have trunnion blocks that fit and are the right shape. Now we have to think about holding down bolts and elevating screws. I'm having breakfast and looking forward to second sleep.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

( Wendy..I recall an email from you begging me to return to OG some time back.)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 07:48 ( whilst a CHILD weeds your garden in France!)
How privileged are you?!
NASTY ,NASTY, voluntary, and we send them money for petrol and anything else they need or want . I never asked them to do it.the comment about coffee and wine was a joke between friends, and was treated as such.

I am left quite distressed by your attitude towards me. You don’t know me as a person and I am deeply hurt.
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ok. Sorry. I can see we will never be friends. A pity...we had things in common. But I accept our differences. We move in different circles. That is ok. We shall both move on, quietly. :good:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I have nothing more to say on the matter. .
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:good:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

An easy way to check if a 'gas engineer' is kosher -and has not had five minutes training and was given the keys to the van -

From the British Gas website -

"If you know the individual engineer’s details, then you can check whether they’re qualified to complete the work before they even arrive. Find out by getting in touch with the folks at the Gas Safe Register. They have an online tool you can use called 'check an engineer', or you can call them on 0800 408 5500. You’ll need to know their unique 7-digit licence number (which is on their ID card). Engineers are issued with a new ID card annually, and each new card will have a different licence number.

If you don’t have the details of your engineer before they arrive, don’t worry. All Gas Safe engineers – including British Gas engineers – will carry their Gas Safe ID card. Don’t be afraid to ask to see it when they arrive at your home"

There is also a pretty good chance that they will have a pension from the employment, whether employed directly or via a contractor. Workplace pension

Enjoy it while you can - gas boilers will not be allowed in new built houses after 2025, and will be phased out thereafter. Not a big incentive to be a trainee gas engineer?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, I don't need to enquire about his credentials. I know incompetent when I see it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 13:30 David, I don't need to enquire about his credentials. I know incompetent when I see it!
Incompetence and working illegally aren't really the same thing, he needed to be Gas Safe registered to even take the front off your boiler. They usually wear the registration card on a lanyard for visibility.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Today I have mainly been very lazy and done very little. :smile:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendy ! Today I have been busy , i hope to be lazy tomorrow 🤣🤣
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Today I sat and watched the sun move round. Amazing. It moved 15º in one hour. Galileo Galilei would have been proud of me. Just to be sure I'll check it out tomorrow. :geek:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Packing, for a cheap-as-chips holiday in a remote, secluded location. Taking the bikes so we can cycle between vineyards and cellar doors. Taking the camera as I want to get some photography in. Taking very little food (breakfast provisions only), as we will be eating out... :good:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Enjoy Marilyn (and Mr. Feb) 💕
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Thanks Cazza. Only 3 nights, but looking forward to it. 🚴‍♀️
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret and Mick have taken young Alex to Busselton for five days with the sea and the possums.
I have no such distractions and will content myself with my usual activities, shed, exercise and reading.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Busselton is lovely. I could live there... :good:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I bought primulas on the market yesterday morning. As we arrived the stalls were just opening up and we were the only people there so I had first choice of the plants, three trays of 4 plants for £5. So after our second breakfast of croissants and coffee I planted them in the freshly dug and hoed borders of the front garden. Being in gardening mood I also tidied up the greenhouse a bit, washed some seed trays and filled them with potting compost. These are now warming nicely in the greenhouse ready for planting seeds within the next couple of weeks . I boil washed towels m handkerchieves and a few other things the thinner things dried on the line outside , but I did need to put the towels in the drier, I watered and fed all my outdoor geranium plants which live in the conservatory from November till May. I finished assessment 6 of Celts and started sewing my new top. Finally a bit of jigsaw and a take away for tea . A productive day for one that wasn’t planned, no wonder I was in bed at 10.00 and slept till after 7.00 this morning

Today is cold and at the moment sunny, not sure if it will last though. We have a Tesco delivery at 9.00 ish and I want to change the bedding. Hopefully the duvet cover will dry outside. Again nothing planned but plenty of activities to complete

Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think the forecast looks promising Sue, we have a sharp frost here but it's bright and clear. I shall post on Shed Matters......

Later, I've had a morning of multiple small tasks.

Knocking off time. All the trunnion mounts drilled for their holding down bolts and the three wooden bases for the carriages cut out. Plenty to be going on with!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Carronades and enjoying the sun! We're having a nice spell of settled weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We walked to Lothersdale, coming back up Sidegate Lane which is quite a pull! 5.25 steady miles, enjoying the sunshine. The hill presented a challenge for Col but he sailed up with no problem so his fitness level is slowly building. :smile:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 07:13 We walked to Lothersdale, coming back up Sidegate Lane which is quite a pull! 5.25 steady miles, enjoying the sunshine. The hill presented a challenge for Col but he sailed up with no problem so his fitness level is slowly building. :smile:
Morning

Good to hear that Wendy. Col certainly seems to be rebuilding his stamina. Yesterday was certainly a nice day for a walk. We did one of our newer walks but in reverse , which was nice as we walked down the steep road with the hair pin bend instead of up it. The tracks themselves were very wet indeed and we often found ourselves paddling in muddy water. Deep ridges had been made by the farmers tractors where the water has accumulated. As well as walking I managed to complete the weeks washing and ironing ,drying most of it outside, which is a first for the year.

Today is another clear cold start, and with few plans to fill the day. Although I am not doing pilates and yoga, I have been invited by the teacher to attend the yoga relaxation class on Monday mornings for free as its not active exercise. Again another nice gesture. I seem to be surrounded by people who make kind gestures.

Yesterday Bob took out the remains of the shrub we were removing in the front garden so now I can re landscape that little patch. I have decided to extend the heather patch as they grow really well in the front and need little attention, they produce a mound of flowers twice a year and just need pruning afterwards.

I may not do the garden today, its very cold on the front of the house. I have some sewing to finish and we may walk. It would be a shame not to on what promises to be a nice day. Today we should reach Boulogne on our virtual walk to Paris. We have nearly completed a third of the route . At present progress it should take another 12 weeks 🤣

Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No way I could match Colin!
Just come in from two hours in the shed. It turned out to be stressful for an unusual reason but is resolved now... See Shed Matters.
As usual Sue you have a busy day planned, that's why you are never bored! Have a good day, I shall go and post on shed matters... I shall return with a picture.

Knocking off time, all the bases cut square to the right size and elevating screws with tommy bars and adjusted to the right length. Notice that the lost 6" Starrett hook rule has returned to the fold after a stressful half hour looking for it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Those bases are troubling me. Wrong wood and too thick. I shall have to have another look at them. Otherwise, looking after myself and getting some exercise in....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”