Today I shall be Mainly...

MickBrett
Donor

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by MickBrett »

I played at "Pick Up Sticks", walking around the garden moving various small branches which had fallen after the recent storm on to the burn pile.
Then I got the whole lot mowed, hopefully for the last time this year. So we are back in "park like surroundings" as the Estate Agents like to say.

A good afternoons work.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How big is the garden Mick? Sounds to be a bit bigger than mine...

I shall be in the shed for an hour than early doors shopping at the Co-op at 07:00. I was going to Colne with Susan but have given back word because there is sickness and diarrhoea about in the wider family.
We are promised cold rain so I shall take a view on bookie watch later.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Another dark damp morning, with showers to follow I believe. Art was good yesterday, we did various artistic representations of a variety of squashes. I did a pastel painting but next Friday at the u3a art I will do the mixed media approach. Our organiser was not there, she has covid. She has no idea where she caught it but luckily she is another person double vaccinated who just has cold symptoms. In fact she cleaned out her garage she felt so well . One person I knew built his greenhouse. Recently about 9 of my friends/ acquaintances have all had what is equivalent to a 4 day cold, but the tenth has been rather poorly and still is after 3 Weeks. Her husband was not vaccinated and but was not very ill at all!

I spent the afternoon in the garden. I managed to tidy up all my geranium pots, now residing in the conservatory. I trimmed them all back . In a couple of weeks they will be in full flower again and will remain so till New Years day. Then I cut the stems right back and leave them till late February before I start watering and feeding again. Many of these plants are 10:years old. Some time soon our friend Kath will bring hers round to overwinter with mine. In the garden I cut back my astilbes and golden rod as well as pruning the climbing rose on the shed and reshaping it for next years growth whilst the present stems are soft and flexible. Bob pruned the yew tree . Later my bag of surplus fabric was collected. I was given the £10 I asked for and had numerous enquiries from the facebook market place advert but none at all from gum tree. Through Facebook market place I could have sold it 10 times. The lady who bought is a beginner so I gave her Maxine's telephone number for lessons

This morning is dance exercice, followed by an hour of starting my jacket pattern . Then its Friday lunch out calling at the hospice shop with a bag of jumpers and nearly new but perfect shoes. I am also posting some golden rod roots to a lady I chat to on facebook who lives in Northumberland. It grows like a weed in my garden and I cut it back every year. She loves it and doesn’t have any

So thats my day, enjoy yours.
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Paid the balance for the cruise around the Canaries in February, hopefully it won't be cancelled again :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

Stanley wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 03:03 How big is the garden Mick? Sounds to be a bit bigger than mine...
Err, a bit. :laugh5:
Remember though that this is Oklahoma. Land and property prices are pretty low.
Just this week my wife Jan (one of the Colne Horsfields) sold her late dads house which was a back to back in Colne.
She got exactly the same for it as we paid for this 4 bed, 2 bath on an acre plot here.

There's a lot of mowing to do...

...but Herbie the herbivore makes it pretty easy.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had an idea that was the case Mick. :biggrin2: (Be careful of the water, my mate in St Louis tells me that if you drink it long enough your knuckles start dragging on the ground....)
I shall be quietly finishing the eccentric rod, then a strip down and paint. I've cut the plinth and moulded it so I can start building soon.
The forecast says bookie watch is on if well wrapped up. At the moment it's raining which isn't in the forecast so we'll see about that later.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

MickBrett wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 18:20
Stanley wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 03:03 How big is the garden Mick? Sounds to be a bit bigger than mine...
Err, a bit. :laugh5:
Remember though that this is Oklahoma. Land and property prices are pretty low.
Just this week my wife Jan (one of the Colne Horsfields) sold her late dads house which was a back to back in Colne.
She got exactly the same for it as we paid for this 4 bed, 2 bath on an acre plot here.

There's a lot of mowing to do...

...but Herbie the herbivore makes it pretty easy.

It was like that in France when we bought Mike, not so now. Bob has a ride on like that plus a small tractor with attachments for rotivating.
I have Horsfields in my Family tree, my great great grandmother was Annice Horsfield from Foulridge
Last edited by Sue on 23 Oct 2021, 06:28, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A damp day today. Bob has a model engineering meeting in Derby and I was going to spend a day there but change of plan. I am now staying at home and shall do a spot of cleaning. I shall also wash anything by hand as I can as I have no washer for a week . Bob is meeting Ed after the meeting to collect Eve and Briony who are now staying from tonight instead of tomorrow. I shall prepare something to eat for when they get in and fill the rest of my time making my jacket pattern. I did part of it yesterday.

Yesterday went as planned. We do love our extended Friday lunches with our friends and it was nearly 5.00 when we were back in with a cuppa. Before the drink we did our weekly lateral flow test which, as expected, was negative.

Bacup market this morning before Bob leaves so its cuppa, early breakfast and out.

Have a good day
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Didn't realise the washer had gone AWOL Sue, must have missed that. Best of luck with it!
I've had two hours in the shed and will be back shortly.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 06:24 I shall also wash anything by hand as I can as I have no washer for a week.
Is this for the bearing replacement?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quietly away I have an eccentric rod that's ready for boring. The last bit of high risk machining..... But that's for tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 07:28
Sue wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 06:24 I shall also wash anything by hand as I can as I have no washer for a week.
Yes. Bob told them it was the bearing. They said our engineer will decide that. Bob told the. He was an engineer. Even I had diagnosed bearings. Bob then had to fill in an online questionnaire about what was wring. The engineer came, he said its the bearings but I haven’t got the part for that. Come back next Thursday which was not suitable for us, so its Friday
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 07:07 Didn't realise the washer had gone AWOL Sue, must have missed that. Best of luck with it!
I've had two hours in the shed and will be back shortly.....
It should have been repaired on Thursday am. He came with the wrong parts and told us not to use it because it could cause serious damage if we do. We are going to Claires on Tuesday with Eve and Briony so the cousins can play together. We shall wash the girls stuff there as when Ed fetches them , in time for us to go to the funeral, he is taking them to Derbyshire for the rest of the week . I shall use a service wash at a laundry service in Whitworth for towels and dark cottons . They do the full works, ironing as well but I am happy to iron. Polyesters and light colours can wait, we have enough clothes, but I shall hand wash underwear and small things as we go during the week
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 08:35
Big Kev wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 07:28
Yes. Bob told them it was the bearing. They said our engineer will decide that. Bob told the. He was an engineer. Even I had diagnosed bearings. Bob then had to fill in an online questionnaire about what was wring. The engineer came, he said its the bearings but I haven’t got the part for that. Come back next Thursday which was not suitable for us, so its Friday
Could have saved himself a return trip, you'd have thought the engineer would have brought a set of bearings with him, even if it had been a highly unlikely misdiagnosis. I had to scrap a 5 year old washing machine several years ago, apparently it wasn't financially viable to replace the bearings. Never heard anything so ridiculous.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Is this repair beng paid for, or is it on warranty or an insurance scheme? If not I'd have ordered a new one. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tripps wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 10:13 Is this repair beng paid for, or is it on warranty or an insurance scheme? If not I'd have ordered a new one. :smile:
Insurance and if it can’t be repaired the insurance covers for a new one
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I take a different approach. I've been here for 12 years now, and I'm on my second washer. For four years of that time they have been on the retailer's warranty, and the rest of the time I've taken my chance. I buy German (Bosch) of course, and have spent about £700 in total. That's a total cost of £58 per annum, which I think is quite cheap. The machine is still available from Curry's at about £370.

The cheapest premium for insurance I've found (quickly) seems to be about £14 per month with a £55 excess, and a max claim of £200, though that covers more than one type of kitchen appliance. It all sounds a bit complicated for me. I'd rather 'self insure'. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My washing machine and dishwasher are both Bosch, been very impressed with them. They're both around 6 years old.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My washer is a Bosch and I automatically refuse the 'extra warranty' which is really insurance that you are always offered.
When Bishop House Mill engine overspeeded and Brown and Pickles got the job of repairing it the mill owners sanctioned the work straight away and it was paid out of a contingency fund they had been building for years by paying what would have been the insurance premiums into it and allowing it to gather interest. Quite a lot of old mill companies did that.
Today I shall be in the shed with my eccentric. Not sure about Bookie Watch as we are promised heavy rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 13:11 My washing machine and dishwasher are both Bosch, been very impressed with them. They're both around 6 years old.

Morning
My iron was Bosch, it was the worse iron I ever had, the steam switch broke on the first week. Now replaced for a Russell Hobbs after only two years. My washer is Hotpoint and older than 10 years we reckon and a jolly good washer too. I have no complaints with the washer, just the online and telephone service questionnaire which obviously did not pick up it was bearings and the wrong part was ordered, so the engineer was supplied with the wrong parts.

Today is a damp start to the day and showers forecast. The girls arrived about 6.30pm very excited to stay. This morning Briony and I shall do some art and Eve will do a bit of cooking then it depends on the weather. We shall have a roast at lunchtime and then either pop down to the model railway for a ride and walk in the park or go for a longer walk in the hills around us. All to be decided. I have kept bulbs and pansies to plant if they feel so inclined, otherwise I shall do it later in the week .

Yesterday I did a thorough clean and even oiled a few bits of wood work . Later in the afternoon i made my jacket pattern and popped to B&M for some bird seed and fish feed. There is a fabulous selection at really good prices

Have a good day all
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 06:50 My iron was Bosch, it was the worse iron I ever had, the steam switch broke on the first week. Now replaced for a Russell Hobbs after only two years.
That's unfortunate, not had a Bosch iron so can't really comment on those.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice morning in the shed. I got the eccentric just right and Once I was sure it fitted I stripped the engine down, adjusted one or two parts, fitted the base with the 2BA foundation bolts and then completed a nice morning by painting the base castings. And yes, I know the flywheel looks horrible, it is, but by the time I have repolished it in the lathe it will be fine.
Have a nice day with the girls Sue, but don't do too much!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shed as usual where I have finished making bits and am ready to start building. No rush, nobody's waiting for it.
Looks as though it's going to be a cold nasty wet day so I think the morning walk may not include bookie watch, more a quick scuttle round the block!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

What a lovely day, yesterday , spent with two very polite well behaved young ladies. Briony’s big smile is back and her non stop chatter is so reassuring after the last two years . Eve is now taller than me, at 12, and Briony isn’t far behind her at 10 ( next week) . It was a dull damp day but after spending some time painting with B I asked them if they would like to have a go on the sewing machine. B used my basic light weight one that I used to take to craft when I went , and I let Eve use my big one. I gave then free run of my scraps drawer. Over the day B, with my help , produced a patchwork stuffed toy, and Eve with little help from me made a patchwork cushion. It kept them occupied all day and i had to drag them out for a walk in the afternoon when Bob went down to the model engineers. It was too wet to run trains so there was no point in us going down too. After the 3 mile walk the girls made pizzas for tea........and carried on sewing. My goodness these girls have hearty appetites, and are a credit to Julia and Ed

This morning we shall make the custard base for ice cream tonight. Eve has some dry land swimming training to do and I have to print off the eulogy for the funeral. I won’t have time tomorrow . I also need to make a large lasagne for tomorrow nights tea, and take a load of washing to the laundrette being half way through my washer less week. The girls both want to do more sewing, the £2900 machine being the favourite one to use, as it does so many programmed patterns. They will have to take turns . However we will drag them out for another walk this afternoon to the waterfalls and the lodge. We may even see the heron being Monday and with less people around.

Its still, damp and not raining at the moment , though it is due to, there is a drier spell forecast this afternoon . I wonder if I can persuade the two of them to plant bulbs and winter pansies if I can get them away from the sewing machines. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds as though you've started something Sue with the sewing machines! That's why I give the kids steam engines! Nowt like infecting them young.
I've done 2 hours in the shed and will be back in a few minutes after I have posted on Shed Matters.

We are getting very close to a finished engine.... :biggrin2: I'd describe it as rough but it's not bad considering the mileage on the engineer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”