Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

I couldn't agree more, my short walk and sit outside each day is so good for me. As is the shed and as usual but only for an hour because of early doors shopping at the Co-op. Even though we are in the 'New Normal of Covid I see nothing wrong with avoiding the masses! There is nothing in the weather forecast that says I shan't be on bookie watch.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Bad afternoon yesterday. I never recovered from my non energetic art class, despite my sleep. I was tired all day, the cough came back with a vengeance and i was ready for bed at 9.00 pm feeling totally fatigued and cold. I was layering up with jumpers. We were in bed early but I did not sleep well coughing frequently. This morning is art again, which I shall go to followed by lunch with Wendy and Keith. That will be it. I feel totally congested but hope some will clear after my morning steroids. The antibiotics are finished. I shall really have to go carefully. This is the worse virus infection I have had since I had ME and these effects and feelings are too similar for my liking. This was what I was always worried about with covid. However its early days yet, I still gave medication to complete. I do need to get out and do something , but I will take it easy.

Have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Must stop being negative, I shall be fine after I have been up a bit...sorry
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Totally understandable Sue, don't beat yourself up for feeling poorly! One of my relations has had a similar infection to you and has a history of heart trouble. His viral infection put him in hospital for investigation because of extreme fatigue and worrying heart symptoms. Three days in hospital and he has been discharged with a clean bill of health as far as the heart is concerned. The doctors suspect he is suffering from post viral fatigue syndrome and have sent him home to rest. My daughter Susan has had exactly those problems, she was given a diagnosis of Sarcoidosis but basically no treatment but rest. She is back working part time now and slowly improving.
I relate these two cases to illustrate that as far as I can see this fatigue is the problem and the doctors don't fully understand it. Take care, take sensible exercise but rest as well, it's not sinful to rest when you are tired! Have a big hug and commiserations as well. This is no practical help I know but at least I recognise that you have a very real and serious problem. Best of luck with it.

My hour in the shed this morning was spent working on the cylinder.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

ME is post viral fatigue and i remember it all too well. It was over 2 years before I recovered so I am sure you can understand my apprehension . In the 80 s i was in hospital for a week for tests and they never identified the cause, and said I was depressed, which is what it probably says on my medical records as it was not a recognised illness then. At least research has progressed a bit since then. Needless to say I am exhausted again
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That also I can understand but this may not take the same course as your previous experience Sue. Truth to tell we all tread such a fine line between good health and bad. Daughter Susan had a ruined day yesterday because of severe migraine. No explanation for that either and I can't imagine what it's like, I never have headaches. That's what I mean when I say I am so lucky, Looking back at what I have been exposed to and the dangerous life I led I ought to be a wreck but instead just soldier on seemingly unaffected by anything. It's a mystery. I wish you well Sue, just relax and let it happen and hope for a speedy recovery. (Sorry that's useless and trite I know....)

Guess where I shall be! Bookie watch looks on later, the weather is showing signs of improving.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I stopped my extra asthma inhaler last night as I think it is that , that is making me shaky. I was in bad by 10.30 and slept till 7.00 this morning. My voice seems clear, I hardly coughed so I did not miss the extra asthma medication. However my ear is still throbbing so the catarrh is still having an effect. My nose seems clear. Watch this space.

We are off to Bacup market, then Bob has a meeting in Derby all day leaving me to potter at home. I have two jobs to do. Sort out my shoes and put my winter boots away. Thats a bit strenuous so I will rest up afterwards whilst I do my second job which is to unpick some hand sewing on my jacket to make some minor modifications on the sleeves.

Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds a bit more positive Sue. you're on the right track. Just be careful and patient. I have everything crossed!

Busy morning on the cylinder but here we are at knocking off time. The valve face and both ends adjusted and cut to size, the exhaust port cut and the passage to the exhaust pipe drilled and tapped. Ready for the bore now....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Movement has shifted things but not coughing as badly and, Bob! I definitely have a voice back 🤣, weak but there
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Reminds me that "Coughing better ?" was a common ironic greeting at one time in Oldham. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was common in Stockport as well David. No wonder when you look at what we were breathing there, smog so thick the Luftwaffe could never see the railway viaduct clearly enough to bomb it. How did we survive?
I shall be in the shed and at the moment (if nothing better pops up) boring the cylinder is on the cards. I have done all the cooking necessary and so the rest of the day is up for grabs and depends on the weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice quiet morning. We have a good bore 1.5" in diameter. That'll do, I shall have breakfast now and second sleep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I pottered quietly all day.Bob had an engineers meeting in Derby and it was nearly 7 when he got back. We had an Indian takeaway for tea. I wanted tasty not spicy and it fitted the bill. Best meal I have enjoyed since Portugal. I filled a few pots with compost ready to plant out the last of my veggie by next weekend, I finished the jigsaw we were doing, and started the alterations on my jacket sleeves, the latter two being sit down jobs. I also at last managed to put my boots away and get out my light weight summer shoes, a big task which I did first. I did go and lie down mid afternoon but did not fall asleep which is a good sign. Today I finish the steroids for my cough. I think I have just about stopped coughing but am still very congested. I will use the steroid nasal spray for another couple of days but will then revert back to steam inhalation I think . The spray can still be used as a fall back if needed.

I need to change our bedding today but that is the only big job I intend doing. Otherwise , like yesterday I shall potter doing my jacket sleeves, putting the jigsaw away and possibly planting out some butternut squash plants. I want all veggie in the garden before we go to France next weekend. I think rain is forecast till lunch time though it is dry now. Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's another positive report Sue. Good, I am glad you are moving forward. Off to bed now for second sleep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Usual, early morning coughing bout as tge catarrh shifts, but at least I don’t cough at night anymore
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope you had another good night Sue and an improvement.
I have a bore now and so I can go back to preparation work on the castings. Slow and careful to compensate for my waning sight and skills! I'm still working to under a thousandth of an inch tolerance on my turning though!
Walk and bookie watch may be off the cards as we are promised rain all day. We shall see!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I am at last beginning to feel major improvement. Although I only slept 5 hours, I have woken with a fairly clear head and can smell the olbas oil under my pillow which is a first. We shall see what happens after a bit of activity. I am avoiding pilates and yoga for a couple of mornings, to let my strength build up though I think the breathing exercises in the latter would do me good. My aim is to try to do the studio class tomorrow, and possibly Wednesday night, and that will be it for this week . I have a letter to post to France so may take a short walk to the nearest post office ( not the 4 mile round trip one) , I think that will do me good.

I surprised myself yesterday, no tiredness mid day and I managed to potter quite actively. I finished the adjustments on my jacket, most of which was sitting with hand sewing, and managed washing and what little ironing there was. Later I watered the garden as the intended rain never arrived. It did the trick, it rained overnight so the soil is mow thoroughly wet. I hope to plant out my sweet corn, slowly, sometime during the day. The burglar alarm is being serviced this morning. After last weeks confusion we now have the right day and time, not last Monday as we both thought🤣. Thats it for planned activities, I shall take the rest of the day as it comes.

Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds like more progress Sue, good to hear. If it was me I would be doing the breathing exercises, I'm a great believer in doing them frequently during the day. They really do make a difference.

We have good progress on the castings, both lids finished and fitted and a good start on the steam chest.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 16 May 2022, 06:51 That sounds like more progress Sue, good to hear. If it was me I would be doing the breathing exercises, I'm a great believer in doing them frequently during the day. They really do make a difference.
But it means lying flat on the floor for an hour, where as the studio yoga on Tuesday is more upright and the fact that it is yoga it will still be breathing controlled.....as to a certain extent is pilates.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Pleased to hear that you are improving Sue.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 16 May 2022, 08:49 Pleased to hear that you are improving Sue.
Ditto
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Good news Sue.

Not so good for my nephew Nick though. I am taking his mum, (Sally's sister Julia) on to see him at Blackburn Royal this afternoon. He was knocked down by a taxi on Saturday I think it was and he has a broken Tib and Fib, ouch! He has had to have a plate fitted and the injury is about a 3 - 4 month recovery. He was due to start a new job next week. :sad:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Definitely ouch!
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds like more than 'ouch'! I hope he has no lasting after effects. I know only too well that these can be worse than the original injury in terms of the affect on your life. My best wishes to him....
Sue, I didn't realise the breathing exercises were so complicated. Whatever you do, I hope it works!
I shall be in my playroom for a couple of hours. I really do believe that the shed is what keeps me going.
From the look of the forecast it could be a shirtsleeve walk today, we are promised sub-tropical temperatures!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Here we go again, sore throat, tight chest and hoarse. Hopefully hay fever! I felt a bit more inclined yesterday and tackled one of my sewing tasks to make a new dress pattern. This was the 4 th attempt to make a workable pattern but once again it failed. I found a similar pattern on line and sent for it . Its the first one like it I have seen. Bob and i did a a walk to the post office at a leisurely pace , just two miles . I was tired when I got back. After a few hours rest I did a bit of tidying in the greenhouse. I only have a few plants left in their now so it was an opportunity to tidy up .

Today i have a dental appointment at 1.30 pm to have my new crown fitted, I think its only a 15 minute job, and I hope that it still fits after the temporary crown came off 1 week in to the cruise. There were no adverse effects, no pain and its a solid lump pf filling so 🤞. I shall try studio pilates this evening . Have a good day all, it promises to be a good one . I may do some dead heading in the front garden this morning whilst Bob is at the dentist for a check up. It badly needs doing.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”