Today I shall be Mainly...

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 17 May 2022, 06:29 Here we go again, sore throat, tight chest and hoarse. Hopefully hay fever!
Could be
Screenshot_20220517-075230_Met Office.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's just one thing after another Sue but you seem to be surviving and as far as I can see your work rate is only slightly diminished!

One pic is all we need. I have spent 2 hours on the steam chest and lid. They are finished on all surfaces, square and the right size. They are ready for the next operations, all concerned with fitting. A nice morning.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You know where I'll be. I'm thinking about Kev and Sue, I hope they are both feeling better!
Another fine day in prospect so there will be an extended bookie watch!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Yes better Stanley but I have plateaued with a sore throat and earache which lingers on. I did however have a good day. I tidied the front garden, once dead headed it didn’t look too bad and I planted out my butternut squash plants amongst the flower borders in the back. My visit to the dentist was successful. I now have a permanent new crown on my damaged tooth. The saga of my tooth is nearly as old as the pandemic. I am so impressed with this dentist as he seems to have managed to do the impossible. Two dentists said the tooth could not be saved but he he has done so. At the moment the crown feels like a brick in my mouth as I have had only half a tooth for so long but I am sure it will settle down. I am a happy bunny as they say. Following the dentist I rested a lot in the afternoon to be able to do pilates at 5.00 pm I only did the one class, and Taira did a fairly relaxed session for my benefit.

This morning we are going to Bacup market to the plant stall as I need another bag of compost so that I can plant the rest of my beetroot in pots. We are then going over to Burnley market to pay a visit to our friends Jon and Maryse who have moved their french patisserie stall from Bacup to Burnley. Patisserie Chanel is well worth a visit if any of you are Burnley market way. Tell Jon I sent you 😊. The jigsaw I recently finished was theirs so need to return it, but we may also buy a couple of their lovely quiches for lunch , or a baguette for with some cheese. In the afternoon I shall supervise as Bob prunes some long branches on the apple tree , and we also need to cut back some of the netting on the pond as it is affecting the growth of our lovely waterlilies.

So thats it. A lovely day in store and busy. I hope to make pilates online this evening, first time in well over 5 weeks. I have no more classes then till June, after we have been to France. I should be fully recovered by then . Have a good day all.
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yesterday was the day Colin chose to move two more lithium batteries up to his 'off grid control room' in the hayloft. The boxes weigh 50kg each and he has very little strength but a lot of determination. We have a chain hoist, a small, sturdy pallet and plenty rope. I hung around offering assistance but was told to go away, he needed to do it alone! Half an hour later I just happened to be passing the barn entrance and he was stuck with the pallet half balanced on the hayloft floor but caught on the edge so he couldn't pull it forward. Together we managed it and after lunch I was allowed to assist in the much smoother operation to raise the second one. He even thanked me! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

" In the afternoon I shall supervise as Bob prunes some long branches on the apple tree ,"
I love the contrast between your version of man management Sue and Wendy's..... :biggrin2:

This morning has been dedicated to converting the rough valve casting into a complicated and precise shape. A good productive two hours. Breakfast now and second sleep.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 18 May 2022, 07:45 " In the afternoon I shall supervise as Bob prunes some long branches on the apple tree ,"
I love the contrast between your version of man management Sue and Wendy's..... :biggrin2:

🤣Simply because Bob will be up the ladder cutting and I will be observing the shape of the tree and identifying which branch needs cutting. Normally I do it myself but still not being right balance ways its best Bob is up the ladder....

A good trip to Burnley, fresh quiche for lunch AND a trip to my favourite lical fabric shop. I came home clutching bargains
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I knew that Sue I was just pulling your collective legs....
In contrast I have had a very frustrating morning. I went to the pharmacy and they told me that they hadn't received a script for the Aloglyptin despite the email from the surgery. So I went to the surgery and gave them the history. They agreed that the Aloglyptin had been put on repeat and that I had been sent an email telling me this and also that the script had been sent to Well Pharmacy. The inference was that it was Well who were at fault. But then I pressed them saying Well were quite adamant that they had not got the script. After some whispering in corners it transpired that the script had been written but never taken to Well. They said they would do it immediately and shortly after I got home I got a call and was told to go that I should go back this afternoon as the script had been delivered and Well told it was priority. I thanked them and said I would leave it until tomorrow. Hopefully I have had my last fight over this as it is now on repeat.
It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're working with turkeys.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got my text from Well. The prescription is ready for me.
I shall be making what Susan calls jewellery in the shed, small complicated brass objects! Walk and a sit look to be on the cards if the weather forecast is correct.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Daily health report is static, sore throat and earache😊 I managed pilates last night but being late and after a full day I was very lethargic , but I did do it. Apple tree pruned, half my beetroot planted, netting on pond adjusted, and Bob also cut the grass verge outside the house. Whats the betting the council come to do it today ! I think all our outstanding garden tasks are now done apart from planting the rest of my beet root. We had a lovely trip to. Burnley in the morning, went to the market and then sat in the sun with a coffee. I managed the walk uphill to my favourite fabric place and bought a couple of bargain pieces. Hopefully one will be suitable for the dress I want to make when the pattern arrives .

This morning I have art at Haslingden. We are doing a nice watercolour led by a visiting artist who does about two or three sessions a term for us . I have no plans for the afternoon but may start thinking about the things I need to take to France next week and plant any more beetroot that are ready . I am planting as the roots appear out of the bottom of the pot .

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Earache as well now Sue? You're covering all the bases! I hate earache, never been a sufferer myself but I have seen my daughters in agony so many times. Earache was a legacy from their mother in law Mary Agnes and has plagued them all their lives. I hope yours subsides soon as your head clears.

Nice morning, we have a serviceable valve and rod, another step forward.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I have earache all the time Stanley, I put it down to the catarrh, because on the odd occasion the catarrh clears so does the ear. Its actually a bit easier today, perhaps my 15 minute steam inhalation yesterday helped. My nose is actually clear so its all in the sinuses
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Lovely afternoon for my regular Thursday walk with Sally. Today Col dropped us off on Castle Road on his way down to Colne and we walked along Cob Lane to Kelbrook then back up Harden Clough to get home. :smile:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 19 May 2022, 16:19 Lovely afternoon for my regular Thursday walk with Sally. Today Col dropped us off on Castle Road on his way down to Colne and we walked along Cob Lane to Kelbrook then back up Harden Clough to get home. :smile:
Sounds good. It was a beautiful day. I think I would have managed a walk today but too many small jobs to do. I am definitely feeling much better today
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, I'm sure you're right about the cause of the earache...
I never got my proper walk in as I cut my head yesterday morning and spent the day dealing with that and the aftermath. In the process I have upset every member of the family. Ah well.... I didn't see any point going and waiting X hours in A&E. I've had a good night and the wound isn't leaking.
Early doors shop will interfere with the shed and we'll see what the piste looks like after I have had second sleep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

That sounds bad Stanley, sounds like it needed stitches but its too late now. Keep the edges of the wound close together. Butterfly plasters are good for that. I had a very good day yesterday, the ears cleared as did most of the congestion ( back now as I wake up) .The throat is still sore but that could be hay fever. Art was good and in the afternoon and I planted some of the last of the beetroot in the greenhouse. The rest will have to go out tomorrow.

This morning I am off to the hairdressers for a trim. My appointment was next week but we won’t be here so I brought it forward a week . Afterwards we are going to an Italian restaurant at Hollingworth Lake for our Friday lunch out with Wendy and Keith. That will be our day. I will have washed towels and hung them out before we go so they should dry. Have a good day all. Hope that injury is OK Stanley
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Sue. Vicky did a good job and pulled the edges together so well that it stopped bleeding and no leaks during the night even with my head resting on it.

We shaved my head as I needed a haircut and I waited three hours with no dressing on until 6PM when Vicky came back to put a big adhesive dressing on. It's one of the ones with breathing holes in it and during the nigh only a tiny bot of blood came out. negligible. Another reassuring thing is that I have no tenderness or discomfort at all. There's little doubt I was very lucky but I suppose this is something I have to guard against. My balance won't get any better. BTW no problem at all walking to the Co-op, very comfortable, I expected some reaction simply from the fall!

Your day sounds good. I always liked that restaurant at Hollingworth Lake, I've had some very enjoyable evenings there. Glad you can understand what's causing the congestion and I hope it eases soon. There's no doubt about it, that bug you brought back from Portugal was a humdinger! (You must have better antibodies now....)
Have a good day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley that looks bad. Did you fall over on to machinery . It will be at least 5 to 7 days before that can be uncovered
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 20 May 2022, 02:44 I never got my proper walk in as I cut my head yesterday morning and spent the day dealing with that and the aftermath. In the process I have upset every member of the family. Ah well.... I didn't see any point going and waiting X hours in A&E. I've had a good night and the wound isn't leaking.
Its exactly 4 weeks since I de-barked my shin. The wound started healing very nicely and now its almost closed up. BUT, after 2 weeks from the from doing this self harm my leg swelled up adding a couple of inches to its diameter. The opinion from the Doc that it was either a bacterial infection or a blood clot. The clot has now been ruled out and now I'm on different kinds of antibiotics. In fact due up at the vampire clinic this morning.

So be warned Stanley if your cap gets too tight off to the Docs you go. :biggrin2:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

My dog bite took 6 weeks to heal and after the first week I needed antibiotic cream for the wound. Yes take care Stanley
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks to you all for caring. It was the sharp edge on a filing cabinet wot did it. Vicky did a good job, alcohol wipes followed by TCP in warm water and there was good blood flow through the wound. Yes Sue, that's what we thought, almost a case of waiting until the dressing falls off in bed. And Yes Ken, I am alert for any signs of infection, none at all at the moment, all I can feel is the pull of the steri strips and the adhesive manhole cover.
I've had my fair share of cuts like this and have survived, I am being very careful.
I think I shall be in the shed as usual and then cooking later happen.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a dull start to the day but forecast to be dry. As we are off to Coventry tomorrow and the ferry on Monday we shall not be going to Bacup market today. We are however going over to see Claire in Preston this afternoon. I think we have finished sorting our packing and the greenhouse is empty so in fact there is little that we have to do this morning. This evening is zoom wine appreciation and the theme is English wines.

I think thats about it. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gallivanting again! Don't be picking any stray bugs up this time Sue.

I started this morning by refitting the driver bar in the steam valve as I wasn't satisfied with yesterday's effort. It's far better now and will work better.
Then I set to to make the clevis for the end of the valve rod. Another complicated little piece. I have it made and drilled and tapped for the 7BA nut and bolt that connects it. I still have to cut the slot for the valve rod and round the end. I've left that as the first job tomorrow as setting the 3/32" cutter up is a lengthy job!
Good progress and we knocked off in good order.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two hour's shed and second sleep and then it's a toss up whether the rain spoils my walk or not. And of course looking after myself as well.... :biggrin2:
There will be cooking as well ......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

This morning I feel almost back to normal, I did not use any inhalers or decongestants last nigh when I came to bed and I still gave a clear head. I am sure the first hour will be the usual round of ‘loosening the sinuses’ but definite progress. It has taken just under 4 weeks to get over this!

Its a damp morning and is probably a damp day but it won’t affect our plans. We are awake early and hope to make an early start to drive to Coventry. Briony is swimming in a gala today so if we can get there by noon we will be able to watch her. We will then have a meal with the family before travelling south for an hour and staying in a Premier inn. Tomorrow we are doing a bit of site seeing, visiting an English Heritage castle at Gosport. The ferry is tomorrow night. Hopefully we may also get chance to visit the outlet shopping area in Portsmouth. I particularly like the M&S outlet where jeans and undies can be bought very cheaply indeed.

I think thats our plans covered. Have a good day all

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”