Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Morning

So yesterday I did the ironing, some normal shopping plus we made a trip in to Rochdale to buy a new kettle at Currys. I spent the afternoon gardening, dead heading and cutting back but having filled the green bin thats as far as I can go till Thursday afternoon. I like to get the June plants cleared before we go to France and have just over two weeks left to do this.
In the evening I ordered a new sewing machine for France to replace the temperamental one I have there. Not that I will get much sewing done as we are having a string of friends and relatives staying with us this summer. It will be busy but so nice to see everyone there

This morning I will wash and change our bedding and hope I can get it dry outside. Its a mixed day of cloud , showers and sun. Otherwise as Bob is out all day it will be a sewing day. Briony does not want an art session as she is swimming in a gala all day.

Have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like a plan Sue, I hadn't realised you will be back in France so soon.

This morning I have got the eccentric strap ready for boring. If you want all the detail, have a look at Shed Matters. :biggrin2:
More productive work with no mistakes, that make it a good morning!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be very boring in the shed this morning..... Just like yesterday decisions about a walk and bookie watch will be taken later.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I warned you it would be boring! The task this morning was to set up and bore the eccentric strap and fit it to the engine. The set up took much longer than the boring but as you can see from the image, we finished up with an eccentric strap that fits the eccentric. What the image can't show is the fact that it is an excellent fit. A nice morning...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Yes Stanley, we are off to France for the summer months, the first time in 3 years and really looking forward to it. We have had to adjust our dates due to Brexit. Is we are only allowed 90 days out of every 180 in Europe now, without a visa. The latter being difficult to obtain. We forgot about our 10 days in Portugal this year and had slightly overshot our maximum. It was easily remedied by carving a few days off both ends of our early trips and the beginning of the summer one. We usually go about the 10 th but it will be later this year. My sister is joining us for the first time ever, and later whilst Jane is still with us, our friends Barbara, Bill, Wendy and Keith. Julia and family are coming for a week at the end of August. Its bank holiday week and the only week they all have free due to other commitments, one of which is Eve swimming in an international schools swimming event. They have found it impossible to book anywhere that they can afford.

This morning is pilates and this afternoon Bob and I will walk to the Bank in Rochdale and do a circuit. I finished my dress yesterday so will probaly sit and hem that sometime when I am sitting.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just had my short walk and sit opposite the bookies. It is very heavy overcast and the wind is strong enough to make it feel cold even with a heavy coat on. I am quite flexible but this is not pleasant.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have a loaf in the oven and when that is done I will be taking a brew upstairs and seeing if there is anyone on the radio.

Early tea as we have an EGM of the Labour Party tonight, single item agenda, should be short. I then have to deliver some documentation to a Brierfield Councillor who can't make the party meeting as he has another to attend. On our way back so I will post it through his door.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just home after a trip to Scotland and a two night stay with our ex neighbour in Harburn. It's the first time Colin and I have been away together for about 12 years as it meant getting house sitters who were horse and dog friendly. Now, with only cats and hens to care for, we were able to persuade a neighbour to pop in twice a day.
It was a long trip and tough for Col with all his ailments but we made it! Here's a tip though, don't stop for lunch at the southbound Southwaite Services on the first Monday of the Edinburgh Trades and Scottish school holidays....it was a nightmare!!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 14:28 Just home after a trip to Scotland and a two night stay with our ex neighbour in Harburn. It's the first time Colin and I have been away together for about 12 years as it meant getting house sitters who were horse and dog friendly. Now, with only cats and hens to care for, we were able to persuade a neighbour to pop in twice a day.
It was a long trip and tough for Col with all his ailments but we made it! Here's a tip though, don't stop for lunch at the southbound Southwaite Services on the first Monday of the Edinburgh Trades and Scottish school holidays....it was a nightmare!!
It's good to get away, glad you enjoyed it. We always try and avoid motorway services, with the exception of the OK Diner on the A1, and will take small detours to find a cafe/pub in a village somewhere. We're off to Kent for a few days next week, I need to plan a few stops on the journey as the DVT clinic frown upon long trips without regular breaks to walk around for a bit :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

" on the first Monday of the Edinburgh Trades and Scottish school holidays"
The day to avoid used to be Glasgow Fair which was the start of the annual holiday. I think that falls on Saturday 16 July this year.
I shall be in the shed as usual. The forecast says that any rain will have ceased by midday so a walk and a sit should be on the cards. However, it looks like another overcast day. I am sick and tired of gloomy clouded skies!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its supposed to be dry today but at the moment we have everything else, sun, cloud, wind, damp on the ground. I have a busy day starting with relaxation pilates at 10.00, followed by coffee and lunch at the local garden centre with my old sewing group friends. I shall have to leave early for a routine optician appointments at 2.15 pm. Then its the double pilates and yoga at the studio at tea time. In amongst all if this my new sewing machine should be delivered . Then I would like to cut out another summer top if I have time so I can try the machine out before I take it to France.

Yesterday we did our trip to the bank and 4 mile circuit. As is becoming a habit, we stopped in Rochdale for a drink outside the town hall. This time a warm coffee rather than a beer. It was a chill wind and 11 degrees seemed to be the norm of the day. Hopefully the weather changes back in a day or so. Today is forecast 17. Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds to me like a quite active and strenuous day! I wish you well with it.

Not a lot of explanation needed this morning. The job was to convert the scabbiest casting in the box into a valve rod support, not made any better by the fact that it all has to be judged by eye, not my strongest department. However, as you can see I have managed to get somewhere near without actually destroying the casting. Tomorrow I shall finish it and fit it. Very relieved because there was a lot of scope for getting it wrong!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Strenuous yes, I had forgotten the lunch until last night, when Bob reminded me of the optician........ never mind, Wednesdays are usually quiet and it keeps me out of mischief :laugh5:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We will be running the cancer support meeting round at Bosom Friends centre this afternoon.

I will take the opportunity to check the WiFi and router as well. It was dropping out on Saturday at the coffee morning. Hoping it was a temporary network issue.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As usual I shall do some more at the engine. Walk and bookie watch look as though they will be on later but the weather forecast is exceedingly boring!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had an hour and a half in the shed and make no apologies for what seems like so little done.

Only one pic today after a fiddly morning. I have the valve rod support fitted and bolted to the bed. Now I am fine tuning the throw of the valve rod and I am having a difficult time. This isn't a problem, it's par for the course, making these small engines was never easy and difficulties like this morning's are par for the course. It's why we engineers are so patient..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a damp grey but warmish day, thats set to continue. Hopefully any rain will not be heavy as we have large pots of plants to move. Tomorrow we are having new bedroom windows and some replacement panes in the conservatory and the plants need to be moved so that they aren’t damaged during the process. I shall be putting my cacti down under the hedging in the bottom patio where they will remain till September. It seems to them good. Once back in the conservatory the change in environment seems to stimulate growth and winter flowering . This afternoon I shall be trying out my new sewing machine before it is repacked in its box to take to France.

Last night I picked the first of my runner beans, it seems to have paid off planting them early. Hopefully my neighbours or friends will keep picking them over the summer. They are by far my favourite vegetable. Today I also need to transplant my Tesco basil plants in to bigger pots as they are growing furiously. Another favourite, basil+mozzarella+ big fat juicy tomatoes.Pilates tonight and thats it for the day. Have a good day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had my walk and sit but it was not pleasant, totally clouded over and the wind is cold. They keep promising us warmer weather, the sooner the better!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First thing I had to deal with was an unusual thing for me, I woke early and knew I would not sleep again. So, an early start!.
I shall be in the shed solving the little problem of the throw on my valve gear. Not sure how yet but it will come to me.... :biggrin2: Looks like a better day so I might get to enjoy bookie watch today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

What a miserable cold damp dreary day yesterday was. Today and the next 10 days are forecast nice weather, with a little rain later next week. I spent the day trying out my new sewing machine for France and am very happy with my buy. It will do the job.

This morning the window fitters are replacing the steamed up glass in the conservatory, so we are awake early as they arrive early. We have a few bits and pieces to move so they can reach the specific windows but it won't take long. I have pilates this morning then we are meeting our friends Jean and Bob for lunch. We have hardly seen them in the last two and a half years so it will be good to chat. Afterwards I need to tidy my sewing room and sort out my stuff for art tomorrow.

Have a good day all it promises to be a good one, weatherwise but stormy politically I think
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to report I missed the shed this morning. I suddenly went very tired at 06:00 and had to go back to bed for an hour. I a, gong to have breakfast and go back again..... Nobody is forcing me to work!
The problem of course was the fact I was up 3 hours early because I couldn't get back to sleep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have had my walk and a sit at the end of Albert Road in the sun. Now I shall listen to two hours of World at One and hopefully The Buffoon's statement in Downing Street.
Meanwhile I have prepared a light lunch. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

He blames his demise on herd actions within the Tory Party. Still wont admit that it is his own fault for being a pathological liar.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 12:05 He blames his demise on herd actions within the Tory Party. Still wont admit that it is his own fault for being a pathological liar.
Thats the problem with real liars, they believe their own to be the truth
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning there will be an hour in the shed and then Early Doors Co-op shopping at 07:00. After that it all depends on the weather and that looks as though it might be all right today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”