Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Morning

It was due to rain all day today but the forecast has changed with next to no rain in sight. The sun is shining at the moment and a high of 23 forecast , so we will have to review our plans. We were going to the coast as it was drier there, but quite a long drive. Yesterday we went to Lynford in Thetord forest where we walked several of the routes through. After a bit of shopping late into the afternoon we sat in the garden here and chilled out before we had a short walk round the village. We are actually staying in a lodge in the garden of a house which, it transpires, was a medieval hall house dating back to the 1400s which has been altered and added to over the centuries. I spent a little time trying to research it on the internet. I think it was called Street Hall as it’s address is on the road called Street. I must chat to the owner about it when we next see her.

Have a good day
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You sound to be having an enjoyable time Sue. I think I have been enjoying myself here in the shed. At least I haven't made any mistakes. Very trying as we are down to working on 8BA.

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be finishing my brush with 8BA this morning in the shed and then a day of sleep, reading and gentle exercise!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Fabulous day out yesterday. We drove over to Horsey near the coast, looked at a National Trust windmill, had a wild life boat trip on a boat on the broads and did a walk that took us across a beach with basking seals. We saw a number of interesting and rare animals on the trip plus deer and seals on the walk. The drive back was slow and busy but the trip was well worth the effort. Today is very warm and sunny again, plans yet to be made. This week is passing rather too quickly.

Have a good day all
E68F0F3F-03A6-4384-8CB4-98BCCC9A863F.jpeg
3548487C-B166-4C1F-8B32-EBD4FAB200D6.jpeg
A97F551B-A02A-430B-A593-9173F99592F0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Looks lovely, I have a recollection of going to a seal sanctuary in Norfolk I think it was in Wells-next-the -Sea.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think we can say she is having a good time Kev!

Only an hour in the shed but we have a cladded cylinder.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Great pics thanks.

Still can't quite get used to seeing seals in UK. Do you remember the exotic and very talented 'California Sealions' at Belle Vue Circus Stanley? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes! Including the one that counted.
I've had my noon walk and apart from celebrating good news with a BLT on a butty from Mandy's I noted that O'Callaghans are back with us in force.

They have started to lift the flags outside the Majestic buildings.

The flagpole seats are now being used.

I had my BLT sat in Town Square (in the shade!) and it was very pleasant.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed for more quiet progress with the 10H. Looks like another good day, even warmer than we have had so far. I think this might be Barlick summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

The seals were saw on the beach were not in a sanctuary but simply swimming wild in the sea, many many of them. They basked on the beach , and there were warnings everywhere to leave them alone. Bathing was not allowed on this bit of beach. Yesterday we went to two the RSPB nature reserves, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. The areas were famous for dragonflies, which were huge ,and various varieties of birds. We spent ages in one of the hides searching for rare birds, but not being twitchers we had no idea what we were looking for. :laugh5: In the morning we had a walk through the forest but saw nothing of note. The afternoon site was very different. Wild open spaces and marshland . We had no option but to walk as the reserve covered a large area. By the end of the day we had walked over 7 miles.

Today we are visiting the local market town, lunch at the lodge here, then a short local walk to the next village and back this afternoon .

Have a good day everyone. Enjoy summer whilst it lasts.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We look to be having another summer day Sue.

I have been in the shed and everything went well (have a look at shed matters) until I came to turn the engine over and it locked. I have got my clearances wrong somewhere. So I had to pull it back a bit and tomorrow I shall bottom the problem.
These things happen!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be chasing the fault in the 10H! Apart from that the usual walks, shopping will be tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

It hit over 26 degrees yesterday with clear blue skies all day. We visited the local town, not much to see and had a lovely walk in the afternoon in the local lanes finishing at the pub for a beer. We booked for a meal there this evening, our last evening. Today we are going to another town, famous for its architecture and later it will be a tidying up and packing for our return trip. Its been a fabulous much needed trip. Here there is no talk of doom and gloom and fourth waves etc but we return to reality tomorrow. I had hoped to visit elderly friends of my parents at Newark, always known as aunty and uncle to me. I shall phone them and discuss if they want us to now we are under new advice no to go in peoples houses or travel out of the area...too late for that we are here now . We will do a lateral flow test before we go anyway and we have been away from Greater Manchester for a week .

The sun has come out, another hot day forecast, enjoy your day
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely Sue, it has all worked out well for you and I'll bet the elderly friends will tell you to come. I hope so.

I've solved all my problems this morning, the engine turns over freely and I didn't have to take the cylinder off.
Having breakfast now, then 'In our Time' and second sleep!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The shed might take a hit today. I have an important letter to write and early doors shopping as well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I am awake early it having been a warm night. Bob is still gently snoring . Yesterday was a fairly chilled out day. We drove over to a small town famous for its church that was an abbey ( closed to visitors at the moment) . It has a market cross that is actually a small building built in the 1600s and several pubs and old buildings that were even older, with the typical overhanging upper rooms. We wandered down to the museum ( closed to the public at the moment) and decided to call at the reconstructed Iceni village on the way back ( closed completely! ) . Not the most successful morning for tourism . We had lunch in the garden here and in the afternoon drove over to the forest near Thetford where the Desert Rats did their training for the D day landings. There is a short 2 mile circular walk guiding you through the area that was their training camp, very interesting. Back at the lodge we packed and went to the local pub The Old Windmill for our evening meal . I enquired as to where the windmill had been and it was across the field from the place we are staying in. A relevant piece of information as you will see in the last paragraph

Today we have to be out by 10.00 and will drive leisurely to Newark to see my parents friends, now in their 90s. We don’t want to arrive until after lunch as we have requested a cup of tea only. We are promised tea and cake. I shall make sandwiches here for our lunch and we will eat them somewhere on the way. Hopefully the traffic and the weather will be better than when we came . We should be back home by 6.00 depending on how long we stay with Joy and Ken . Mum and Joy met as Christmas workers in M&S in Sheffield in 1954! Ken is her second husband . Maurice was the man I called uncle but he died of pancreatic cancer some 30 years ago

Its been a good week, fantastic weather, relaxing and interesting. In total we think we have walked over 30 miles, easy going on the flat here after walking the hills at home. I only wore trainers most of the time it was such easy and dry walking underfoot, i have done a lot of research on the main house here and identified it was the home of the village baker and family for at least 100 years up to 1939 and possibly the miller before that . We even found the graves in the local church yard of owners in the 1840s. The house was owned as I found a tax and electoral roll list for the time. The owner of the house was the person who lived in it, the baker. It appears that the cottage next door was originally built as the bakehouse and possibly village oven in the late 1700s. I love a bit of local history. Once home I shall print off the bits I have found out and post them to the present owner, our host for the week .

Have a good day everyone.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's been a good trip hasn't it Sue. Good, you deserved it.
Nothing happening here as I had other matters including early doors shopping to do. We've got 100% cloud cover and just had a light shower. I shall make my breakfast......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Certainly sounds like a good week away Sue. We have a few days booked at Thoresby Hall, in Nottinghamshire, at the beginning of July. A bit of entertainment, good food and some lovely grounds for a walk. Looking forward to it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 05:58 We drove over to a small town famous for its church that was an abbey
Did it have a name, or can we have it as a mystery object ?

I'll guess Bury St Edmunds. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today the shed should be fairly safe as I have done all the shopping and important letter writing. Could be valve chest and eccentric or even the bed. I'll see how I feel. We are promised a sunny dry day so I shall be walking and sitting on the bench watching the pedestrian crossing and the bookie's!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tripps wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:02
Sue wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 05:58 We drove over to a small town famous for its church that was an abbey
Did it have a name, or can we have it as a mystery object ?

I'll guess Bury St Edmunds. :smile:
Morning
No, i didn’t give the name because I couldn't spell it and I had lost the leaflet. Wymondham. ( just looked it up) .

We had a good journey back, if eventful to start with. We spent a couple of hours with the family friends who looked very well indeed, still looking in their early 80 s despite being in their 90 s. Despite asking for a cup of tea only we were treated to a spread of scones, cake and strawberries.

We were away from the lodge by 9.30 and decided to take a scenic route stopping for coffee as we travelled. We arrived at a small town with a lovely fabric shop at about 10.00 so as I desired a look in the shop we stopped. It was then we discovered Bob had left his mask and phone so we had to turn round to go back, having phoned the number to confirm it wasn’t in the car. . Phone retreived we back in tbe town within an hour and I managed a rare fabric shopping experience in a real shop :laugh5: it didn’t delay us too much as we were early anyway, and we were in Newark at our estimated time

We eventually arrived home at 6.00 pm to discover an explosion of flowers and plants in the garden. We unpacked, I watered a much needy garden with the hose pipe, did a load of washing and left everything else to sort after our trip to the market this morning. I feel some weed pulling coming on today !

Have a good day everyone.
62FED5E9-A424-4B5D-B2CF-AF5D28821723.jpeg
C5E6A740-1434-4E76-9111-D10C2F770C50.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Your garden looks beautiful Sue.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Doesn't it. I think you're right Sue, that's an explosion! Just out of the shed, am cooking breakfast and posting in shed matters. I'll be back shortly....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today I started to make the valve work properly.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 06:45 No, i didn’t give the name because I couldn't spell it and I had lost the leaflet. Wymondham.
I wouldn't have guessed that. Another memory triggered. I stayed there during my very first radio measuring job on intermodulation products coming off the at the broadcast mast at Tacolneston.

I mention this because Wymondham is pronounced Wyndham, and Tacolneston is pronounced Tacolston. They're hopeless at spelling in Norfolk. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”