Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Morning all. Hope all is good, life ticks over here. It was a gardening morning yesterday , dead heading and removing overgrown perennials ready for the next plant phase. We now have yet another sackful of cuttings by the bin. Although the tip is open on limited hours neither of us has the desire to go there, and just hope that soon brown bin collections will resume or we may be unable to get up the side of the house. I also gave both the front and back garden a good watering with the hose pipe. Next thing we will be on drought water restrictions!

We went for a walk after lunch, as usual. Bob was taking photos of reflections for his U3A Zoom photography group which limited where we could walk. it was fine when we were on the moors but the Dell was heaving with people and families most of which did not understand or apply social distancing. Its the first time we have experienced that, so it looks like our walks will involve a lot more upward hill walking now.

Today I have my first online Social History class, it was cancelled last week as the teacher had a migraine. I am looking forward to it. Pilates is late today, at 8.00 pm.

Other than that, perhaps a walk, probably some hand sewing on my patchwork quilt. I had to do a search yesterday for old clothes and pieces of cotton fabric I can cut up for the pieces. It transpires I gave most of my off cuts to Erins nursery and the girls old primary school! The big decision is shall I or shan’t I cut up a duvet cover that I have never used.

Have a good day, stay safe , stay well.
If you keep searching you will find it
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Another nice day where I'm spoilt for choice what to do. Whatever I choose its going to be outdoors in the garden. Probably start with with lawnmower repairs. Things are looking up on this front. Emptied the petrol tank and noticed the flow through the pipes was very slow. Not satisfied with this I thought I'd give the pipes a blow through. Taking the tank pipe off I came across a mini inline filter. Not having the appropriate manual I didn't know they were fitted in this model of mower.
Filter.jpg
I'll reassemble, see what happens and go on from there. I don't like playing mechanic in nice weather. Far more interesting things to do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Sue wrote: 27 May 2020, 07:20

Today I have my first online Social History class, it was cancelled last week as the teacher had a migraine. I am looking forward to it. Pilates is late today, at 8.00 pm.
Sue, what day did your teacher have a migraine? I had one last week, the first I've had for ages. We wonder if it's atmospheric pressure.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Gloria it was last Wednesday, and I thought it was the weather, but she has been doing a lot of online teaching apparently
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Sue wrote: 27 May 2020, 08:24 Gloria it was last Wednesday, and I thought it was the weather, but she has been doing a lot of online teaching apparently
Mine was Friday morning, been walking and the wind was making the sun flash through the leaves on the trees. We were in Toronto once and listened to a weather forecast saying migraine sufferers beware. Never gave it another thought till I got a really bad one the day after. Makes you think, never really solved what causes mine.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've relayed that information to daughter Susan Gloria. She is a sufferer as well. Thanks for posting it.

I had a good two hours in the shed this morning attaching these two bearings to the bed. It took that long because it was a very fiddly job and I wanted to get it right the first time as it needs to be dead accurate. Very pleased with myself!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

My migraines are related to flashing, flickering lights like classroom strip lighting especially in the winter and a normal computer. Ipads do not seem to affect me. I have hardly had a migraine since I stopped teaching, when I taught two evenings a week and worked on the computer till late in the evening writing lesson material etc.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

More quiet progress on Kahara's engine hopefully!
Enjoying the spell of good weather we are into.
I'm lucky. I don't get migraine or earache. Just cancer and diabetes......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It will be a less energetic day today, I seem to have a twinge in my back at the side. I must have pulled something in pilates/yoga. We may still walk but I think twisting and bending is out. A day sat in the garden hand sewing may be forecast.

Take care all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It'll be a good day for it, do it in the shade so that your eyes aren't affected?
I've been in the shed and done essential shopping. Just going to post in Shed Matters but the site is a bit erratic this morning, keeps dropping out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Mower behaved itself yesterday, 20 minutes running without a hitch, another 15 mins today then that's it for a couple of weeks. Next job to clear the moss off the steps near the drive entrance. I say steps they are more like a tiered pile of rocks but people could use them to gain access. Might include a pressure wash in this tidy up before a hose pipe ban comes along. :surprised:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I imagine a great arc of locally hewn stone, Plaques, with columns and balustrades, beautifully arranged, with sweeping lawns to beautiful vistas and far views. A tea house at the end of the garden. And peacocks...pheasants...deer...and statues of naked virgins.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Marilyn wrote: 28 May 2020, 08:21 and statues of naked virgins.
All the rest are or have been on site. Virgins come in the same league as unicorns and hens teeth. Mythical beasts that only exist in fairy stories.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

So...what happened to the gardener then....stripped to the waist...the one wot seduced Mrs P.? Surely he can sort the lawnmower and other garden jobs...
( I must stop reading historic romance. It is no good for me.)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Painting the shed and gate, blue fence stuff for the use of. :smile:

Oh, and finishing replacement of the two faulty downlights in our kitchen. I need to sand down the filler and touch up the painting on those as well.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely amusing posts.
The brilliant weather and the stage I am at with Kahara's engine means I am tending towards painting castings black, something I thought I would avoid. However, the force is strong within me!

How about this P?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning all, what a beautiful day. We had a quiet day yesterday, I did a piece of writing for my U3A writing group sat at a small table in the shaded area at the bottom of the garden. It was so nice there I have set up the table and two chairs permanently whilst the weather is good.

I emailed our neighbours in France. I try to make contact once a week. Their post lockdown is going well and the little girl Abigail returns to school next week for two days a week .Our immediate neighbours have been busy watering the veg and the flowers and yesterday Yves cut the lawn. They are so kind. We have changed our July ferry to late August and will assess nearer the time if we can make the trip.

Eve goes back to school next week also for two days . We have heard June 15 th for Rochdale so perhaps it will be Bury too, so Erin can start back. Even part time it will give some normality. If it all works out, I hope B will not be far behind, although Julia thinks it will be September. Such a shame, she is the one from the three of them who really needs the normality of it. I wish I could do something for her, she seems so sad.

Its forecast very warm today, We have no plans. Probably too hot to walk. Yesterday we walked down to near the cemetery to collect a parcel it was just under 4 miles the round trip. It was a killer walking back up the hill . My back was fine provided I didn’t stretch or twist. Its the same today. On the way back we cut through the old industrial area of Turners asbestos factory, there is a walk through but the rest is no access because of contaminated land. We could hear children playing. There were hoards of families playing by the side of the river near the old factory lodge . No social distancing going on there and they should not have been there either. We have had to stop walking in the Dell because of the crowds.

Have a good day, enjoy the weather
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Quiet day today nothing special on the agenda.
Yesterday was mission accomplished. Steps cleaned and washed.
P5290431.JPG
Not the classical sweeping drive but you get the idea where the steps are.
P5290433.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It is a lovely day! I had a splendid morning, see Shed Matters.

Turners Sue... So good that the housing was stopped. I know the site and the problems well. Have you read 'Magic Mineral to Killer Dust'? The complete story of way Turners cynically exploited everyone even though they knew of the dangers from before the war. Remember Acre Mill?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 29 May 2020, 11:51 The complete story of way Turners cynically exploited everyone even though they knew of the dangers from before the war. Remember Acre Mill?
I do because I worked at Carllsons at Butts Mill, how did they decontaminate that area?
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

chinatyke wrote: 29 May 2020, 13:30
Stanley wrote: 29 May 2020, 11:51 The complete story of way Turners cynically exploited everyone even though they knew of the dangers from before the war. Remember Acre Mill?
I do because I worked at Carllsons at Butts Mill, how did they decontaminate that area?
Turners is not decontaminated and is the biggest eyesore in the area. The building has been torched several times and the litter is appalling. The factory is fenced off with thick metal railings and there are public footpaths that skirt round it. Where the footpaths are is becoming very rich in wild life. Its quite pleasant, with emphasis on quite , to walk through. It is an ideal short cut through to the other side of Rochdale and our Doctors. We can then do a big loop up on to Rooley Moor and down into the Dell and home, about 6 miles
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 29 May 2020, 11:51 Turners cynically exploited everyone
Even Sir Cyril Smith was taken in.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Travis

Post by Travis »

Ah Cyril! The Former Labour mayor for Rochdale. We remember him well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So do a lot of children..... Never any hint of problems at Carlsons China.

Guess where I will be.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Travis wrote: 29 May 2020, 23:54 Ah Cyril! The Former Labour mayor for Rochdale. We remember him well.
Liberal if you please!
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”