Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Morning

Lovely sunrise this morning promising to be a nice day here, but I understand rain is forecast at home. It was a dull cool day (13 degrees) yesterday and felt very autumnal in deed but things are better from tomorrow so Jean and Bob should have a nice week like we have had. We had a good lunch, and a good chat . Afterwards we pottered off in the car to a couple of local view points before returning to the cottage to do a bit of packing and general tidying. We also did our weekly lateral flow test, which was negative. We get about a lot but interact with very few people so the result was as hoped and expected .

This morning I shall strip the bed as requested for covid security and put all towels etc in a large laundry bag , then I shall give the kitchen and bathroom a bit of a clean whilst Bob packs the car. We should easily be away by 9.30 pm. We are meeting my friend Sheila for lunch at noon in Durham so we will need to pass time somewhere. There is a fabulous garden centre we pass, where we can have a coffee and a browse or we may pop down to a beach for a stroll.

We should be home late afternoon, have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like a relaxed morning Sue. I hope you have a nice journey home.
I've done a load of washing and two hours in the shed. Not rushing, just doing good work. Back with a boring pic in a while.....
Later....

I told you it would be a boring picture... I am making the eccentric and it's ready for boring.... Quiet careful work, it's the best way of operating inside my limitations.... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Recovering from yesterday's panic. 8.oo am yesterday the lights started flickering. The kind of flicker you get when there's a dip in the power supply. No appliances running just the one reading lamp. The intervals between the flickers may be two of three minutes. 8.30 everything goes off, no power. !0 minutes later it comes back on, OK for 30 mins then off again. After waiting a hour telephone next door to see if theirs is on. Yes no problems here.
Start investigation in the consumer unit area. Happen to touch the supply tails into the meter. Big sparks and flames. Rang Norweb emergency line.
Good response, don't touch anything, keep away and ring the fire brigade if it fires up again. Good advise but not exactly confidence boosting. We'll get a man over ASP.
Man arrives 3/4 hour later. "Don't worry I'll have it fixed in two minutes" and that was before he saw it. He moved the offending cables and as I expected a big bang and more flames. "Worse than he thought I'll have to send for the Team". 3/4 hour later Team, one man, arrives and works his magic with a new input connection box. Job sorted. All I have to to is replace all the cupboards and drawer units I ripped out so they could get to the unit.
Calm day today I hope. :laugh5:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

That was a lucky escape Ken. Hard luck with the cupboards. Ours is in a floor cupboard unit in the back room alcove. Meter and tails are quite accessible if push comes to shove or I ever get my smart meter upgrade from the less than smart one I have now. :smile:
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Blooming heck that was a close call, glad there was no resultant large fire. We are home now, all unpacked and having a cuppa. Lovely holiday, one of the best
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That was a close call, I had similar when we first bought the house in Park Street. The RCD kept tripping, checked everywhere for a loose connection on the house side of the meter and nothing. I then moved on to a big rubber glove and an insulated screwdriver and tapped the cables on the supply side of the meter, the live promptly fell out of the meter. I managed to push it back in (big rubber glove and insulated pliers) but it took 2 days for Yorkshire Electric and SSE to argue over whose responsibility it was to fix it. Yorkshire Electric eventually did the job.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As David would say..... SPOOKY! My trouble is the leccy meter isn't talking to the smart meter set up so a man is coming tomorrow to fix it. I shall ask him to check the inputs to the company fuse while they are in there.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a damp misty September morning today, not sure what the forecast is. We are expecting a Tesco delivery between 9 and 10 and I have pilates and yoga this evening. The only other plans I have are washing and ironing.

We had a good drive back yesterday though I am sure the roads were much busier than last week . We were away by 9.15 pm and managed a lovely long chat with the owner. The cottage was in the grounds of the farmhouse where the family lives. In fact her mother in law lived in Granary Cottage which was above ours, presumably the grain store initially .

We managed to get a short walk on Druridge Bay beach before continuing on to Durham to meet my friend Sheila. Ironically she lives just behind the pub where we lunched. The house is down a little lane which we walked down last week, but completely missed the house sign on the side of the pub. We had a lovely lunch together plus coffee at her house. The house, a bungalow , is built on the site of her in laws house and small holding. The house was near the river and was flooded at one point, and it was assessed that a rebuild was better.

So Sheila has a lovely purpose built individually designed house, but sadly no husband as he died just two years ago of terminal cancer quickly after diagnosis just months after the house was finished. There is a big garden to look after and the farmer cuts the field that was once home to sheep and hens. She keeps busy but made a poignant statement that it is not loneliness that gets her as she is always busy but a aloneness. Sheila is my age, just two days younger than me and we have been friends since our first day at Grammar school. We had a lovely long chat and we will visit again now we know where she is. I felt very sad for her. Its an isolated spot two miles outside Durham and she seems to have few social interests, and she obviously misses her husband dearly, his shoes are still by the front door on the shoe rack, all neatly polished. I do hope she is ok.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"his shoes are still by the front door on the shoe rack, all neatly polished. I"
A lovely poignant detail. Thanks for picking it up Sue....

I've had a good two hours. We have an eccentric and a strap that fits now.... A nice morning in the shed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed getting further ahead with the engine. Getting very close to finishing now and I shall be glad to see the back of these lousy castings! Then I shall have to stay on duty as the leccy man cometh sometime between 8AM and 1PM to get my meter to talk to the smart meter. Not sure how that can be done. I shall ask them to check the mains wires after hearing the stories yesterday about fires! When they have gone, depending on the time I might get second sleep and bookie watch will happen at some point.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've knitted all the bits together. Tomorrow is finishing touches.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Well it was one of those days yesterday, lots of jobs started but not finished. I was washing and ironing most of the morning, planning the loads so that the ones that didn’t need ironing were last. At the same time I was doing a few little sewing jobs such as making a simple cover in some lovely ice cream material for my ice cream maker. By the way the company responded to my comment about the instructions and agreed they needed rewording. That was after the advice they gave me was the method that did not work. I suggested they tried what they were advising me to do and then try what I actually did. I explained I had googled the problem and many people had had similar experiences.

Anyway I digress, at lunch time I suddenly remembered my Thursday art starts tomorrow and we have a new venue, so instead of finishing my ironing we decided on a quick drive over and back. Back was not so quick as we got caught up in the local high school traffic jam which was worse than usual due to stupid parking on street corners which eventually blocked all traffic in all directions as far as you can see. Why a high school child needs collecting is beyond me!

I bought a new iron before we went away , specifically for sewing.last week when I tried it, it spat water on the clothes on the steam setting and the handle got hot. I emailed Russell Hobbs who gave me another company to contact. The latter did not reply. Yesterday I tried again being sure to follow the steaming instructions precisely. It did it again. So before I continued ironing I phoned the company who put me through to ...guess who...Russell Hobbs. Anyway to cut a very long story short I was advised to return it to Amazon and I was given a reference number to do so. That all went smoothly , although in total consumed nearly an hour, untill I needed my lap top to download a returns label. That was when techo troubles really kicked in.

My laptop failed to recognise me, refused my password and if I set another it said I would lose all my data. By this time it was time for pilates so leaving Bob to try and solve the laptop I tried to get zoom on my ipad. This I managed but I had no sound( later I discovered the volume was off🙁. ) At the same time Bob had a breakthrough and I was able to continue with my laptop, though that was not the end of its problems and further adjustments were needed throughout the evening. Then we remembered son in laws birthday present needed wrapping to post today. It was a late tea and ironing unfinished!

This morning we will walk to the post office and Hermes shop with the present and the iron. This afternoon I have sewing with Maxine. This evening pilates and oh yes finish the ironing with my old iron if I get chance . I pray for a smooth running day I hope yours is smooth running too.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I will be going round to Bosom Friends centre to find out why we have no internet on the WiFi. I reckon Open Reach have buggerd it when they did the fibre to pole upgrade. Also start a repair on a mobility scooter we have. Ignition switch needs moving and I need to get the control box off, will need soldering tackle.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 09:25 I will be going round to Bosom Friends centre to find out why we have no internet on the WiFi. I reckon Open Reach have buggerd it when they did the fibre to pole upgrade. Also start a repair on a mobility scooter we have. Ignition switch needs moving and I need to get the control box off, will need soldering tackle.
Hope all the various issues get resolved easily . We are now having problems with the pond filter. We only switch it on occasionally but it keeps stopping today for no reason. Its going to be one of those weeks! I have my money refunded for my iron, thats one positive!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Sue wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 11:49
PanBiker wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 09:25 I will be going round to Bosom Friends centre to find out why we have no internet on the WiFi. I reckon Open Reach have buggerd it when they did the fibre to pole upgrade. Also start a repair on a mobility scooter we have. Ignition switch needs moving and I need to get the control box off, will need soldering tackle.
Hope all the various issues get resolved easily . We are now having problems with the pond filter. We only switch it on occasionally but it keeps stopping today for no reason. Its going to be one of those weeks! I have my money refunded for my iron, thats one positive!
Hope it just needs cleaning. I leave my filter pump going 24/7 on my pond. It's a 5000 lph model. It failed last Saturday after running continuously for 27 months. The electric cable is dodgy where it enters the pump body, waggling the wires gave an intermittent contact. Sorry but 240 volts and dodgy wiring on a submerged pump doesn't float my boat, even though it is protected by ELCB etc. So I spent 2 hours replacing it for a spare one I had, only to find that one had the same fault. Of course it had, that's why I bought the replacement in June 2019, but I'd forgotten. Both have had now had the cables cut and been consigned to the pond spare parts box. I had a third pump of the same size fitted to a hand lift pump that is an ornamental feature that I switched on when desired, and so I used this one for the filter pump. I also had a spare fountain pump which I fitted to the ornamental feature. Although these pumps deliver high volume, they are low pressure/low head and only consume 30 Watts, so running one continuously costs me about £1.50 a month and keeps the pond water spotless and my fish happy. The pumps cost about £25 new so are really a disposable item.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Graham, it sounds as though you have as many pumps as I have engines!
I have just had an extended sit on bookie watch because I went late and it was so pleasant sat in the sun. There was a bloke on one of those online betting terminals for over half an hour. I'll bet his seat cost him more than mine did....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 14:22 Graham, it sounds as though you have as many pumps as I have engines!
When these fail I'll replace them with 24V ones and feel a lot safer. Is 220V allowed for submersible pumps in domestic ponds in the UK? There are only 2 active pumps, one permanently running the filtration system, and the other running the ornamental feature on demand. Plus one small aeration pump running 24/7, just for belts-and braces purposes, and 1 x 11Watt U.V. light in the filtration box. Just a hobby. Nice to watch the (pampered) fish and very relaxing to sit by the pond listening to the sound of the water.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There is something very relaxing about the sound of running water (unless it's running through your cellar). I've always said that if I didn't live in the country I'd have to live by the sea, waves on a beach are another relaxing sound. I nearly bought a bungalow in Cleveleys in 2019 but settled on Foulridge.
It may happen when I retire...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've always said that all Barlick needed to make it perfect was the Rock Island line running through it with those lovely horns and an Indian Ocean beach.., But then we'd complain because it was too hot.
I shall be in the shed for a couple of hours putting the final touches to the engine. The weather forecast is good so bookie watch looks safe.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

China, our pump is a brand new one. Having refurbished our pond earlier in the summer and stocked it with goldfish, the garden centre refused to sell us any more unless we got a pond filter. We did some research and found it wasn’t actually necessary for the size of pur pond and the number of fish we have but as we want to add more we abided by the cruelty to animals legislation or whatever it is that stops us buying more fish and bought a system just before we went to France a month ago.

We have outside electric supply near the placement of the pump and filter system but don’t leave it on all the time as its not needed. Instead we run the system all day once a week. So yesterday would have been the third time we used it. Bob plugs it in to safety trip , ( earth leakage trip ?) and it was that that had failed by keeping cutting out. Bob could find no other reason for the failure so as this was an old one. he put a new one in and it was fine . We still have 8 of our original 9 fish which surprised us. We understand from our neighbour that a big bird visited our pond when we were in France....heron probably. Normally the fish hide under the waterlilies and are only visible when I feed them. Then they pop up as if by magic as I walk down the path food tub in hand

Yesterday was a lovely day. We did our walk to the post office etc, and chose the local one for a change. Thus the walk was only 2.5 miles leaving me time in the morning to do some garden tidying, dead heading and taking out my runner beans, now finished. This leaves the sweetcorn in plenty of light for ripening. They are doing well. Bob put away the heavy base for the sunshade so today I just need to do some sweeping. I am amazed how many flowers I still have .The afternoon was a good sewing session with Maxine and we spent some time planning my next big make. We were so busy chatting I forgot to pay so will slip over on my way back from art.

So art this morning and nothing else planned. I understand good weather is expected. Have a good day all.
58A4D660-77E3-49E1-9335-973FA960E416.jpeg
BD8E5649-5482-4345-9E26-59C8219B2AD5.jpeg
2E67672D-0007-4B4D-98B4-FBF4B6D5CDAE.jpeg
2D44D006-DF8D-45EC-9D68-DD873C5B6A12.jpeg
0A00B428-F5D2-4FA5-A7C0-04C7B74E300F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 20:25 There is something very relaxing about the sound of running water (unless it's running through your cellar). I've always said that if I didn't live in the country I'd have to live by the sea, waves on a beach are another relaxing sound. I nearly bought a bungalow in Cleveleys in 2019 but settled on Foulridge.
It may happen when I retire...
Its mountain stream I love listening too. I am partial to a few waves but if I had to chose it would be mountains, trees and a babbling brook, preferable where the clouds stay high!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm flabbergasted by the fact that the retailer of your fish has the power to refuse unless you do what they say. I understand the need but it feels like Big Brother!

This pic sums the morning up. The No. 8 engine is ready to go out of the door and good riddance! In the box in front of it is the set of castings for the next engine, a 10H and I have the drawings from previous builds.
I shall start on the 10H on Saturday, tomorrow is shopping and set-off day....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Our house in Scotland was right beside a burn and just downstream of a small waterfall so we enjoyed the constant sound of running water. Not so good when it became a roar! Here we seem to have water flowing past everywhere and collect it where we can, 2 overflows are directed into our pond before heading off down the hill. It used to be a worry if we couldn't hear water trickling because it meant the spring was drying up!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I'm flabbergasted by the fact that the retailer of your fish has the power to refuse unless you do what they say. I understand the need but it feels like Big Brother!.......

We were told that under the new legislation they had to protect the welfare of the fish. We had to sign a form to say we had been told. Apparently having a filter is part of protecting the welfare of the fish. We didn’t have to have a filter but he could not sell us any more fish if we didn’t. He said we could try other pet shops or garden centres and the rules would be the same . We bought a filter but it is no where near the size required by our pond size. Of course they did not know our pond size or how many fish we already have so they were applying the guidelines . These guidelines apply to all pets not just fish. I believe it is part of the same legislation that you cannot now boil a lobster live
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Here you are stanley
24A8427D-4FD2-4E60-8A02-964DA2F3B4F3.png
It doesn’t actually say you must have a filter but does say all waste and excess food should be removed and stocking levels kept appropriate for the environment . To remove excess food and waste you need a filter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”