Today I shall be Mainly...

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by PanBiker »

Should go in dialect and word meanings I suppose but I find it curious how "Packet Internet Groper" (Ping) has managed to be adopted for all sorts of notifications totally unrelated to it's original intended usage. Is it better than "text" or "message"?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 11:14 Should go in dialect and word meanings I suppose but I find it curious how "Packet Internet Groper" (Ping) has managed to be adopted for all sorts of notifications totally unrelated to it's original intended usage. Is it better than "text" or "message"?
That's why I put it in quotes :biggrin2: it seems to be used a lot for almost almost anything communication related now. 'Ping' me a message is very common.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 11:05 Last of the daily LFTs since being 'pinged', still negative. We will not test again until sometime next week before we go off to Thoresby Hall.
Eldest offspring has tested positive today...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't know that was what 'ping' was short for. I was still in the Oxford English Dictionary etymology that dates the onomatopoeic "ping" to the 1830s, in the "pings" of bullets, and later, notably, the sonar "pings" of submarines. The sonar connection seemed appropriate for the internet usage so I didn't look for any further explanation.
As for today. I shall be in the shed working on my engine and later this morning on bookie watch in the sunshine if the Met Office is to be believed. :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning and Happy New Year

My LFT is running as I write. I can finish today but as we are going to Julias tomorrow for a couple of days I shall carry on.

Yesterday was an a day of drafting out a top from my pattern drafting system . I managed to get the patterns made and a toile cut but then packed in for the day. I need the dining room table for today as Claire and family are coming for a buffet lunch. After they leave we shall pack.

Thats about it for today . Yesterday evening i did browse vintage sewing machines on ebay. Another time perhaps but I am WATCHING a few.

Have a good day....
Test looks negative with 2 minutes to go
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue.... I hope all goes well for your lunch. I know how much it means to you.
Not surprised to hear you are sniffing round another machine to rescue.

This was closing time, doesn't look much but if you read shed matters you'll see that there were quite a few associated matters. Slow and steady works best for me these days!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Good news...Bob has a negative test today. Perfect for our few days with respective daughters and families
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 09:29 Good news...Bob has a negative test today. Perfect for our few days with respective daughters and families
Excellent news :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Charging the battery on the Yeti, the auto engine stop/start stopped working. A quick check with a meter only showed 12.1 volts, it's not really had a good run since the alternator went toes up. Fortunately eldest offspring has a 'smart' charger (my standard charger charges too fast for the Yeti's electrical system) so a non contact collection was made from his back doorstep and it's now trickling away overnight at Chez Kev. Hopefully that's all it needs as it'll be a new battery otherwise, which is £55 (40% off at Euro Car Parts) I don't really want to spend.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm thankful that I don't have to worry about things like that these days. :biggrin2:
I shall be in the shed and I think the focus will be the crosshead, I need to make that in order to fit the crosshead guides and come to think, Mount the cylinder to get the exact level for the piston rod connect. A bit of looking at and measuring I think!
Not sure about the rest of the day, looks like wet and windy weather. We'll see.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

We are both waiting for our lateral flow tests as I write . We are off to Julias today and staying overnight in the nearby Premier Inn, going with a car full of bits and pieces ie Christmas presents and Julias birthday present for the 4th. We shall return tomorrow evening.

We had a really good lunch yesterday and then played a few games. We introduced Erin to Happy Families and dominos and also played FRUSTRATION . The latter, you may know is like Ludo. This particular game was my sisters when she was About 10 or 11, so now over 50 years old. We noticed it said on the box that you could buy a pack of replacement playing pieces for 75p. That seems tremendously expensive for a packet of16 coloured plastic stacking counters circa 1971. Both Claire and Adam reported that they still feel very tired and they sounded very nasally. Bob sounded loads better than they did, but unfortunately they were ill before they had time to have their booked booster.

Yesterday evening I made a bid on a sewing machine on ebay. It was in Warwick so we thought that I could pick it up whilst in Coventry. However I was pipped at the post by £1. Soon afterwards I found one in Leyland which wanted offers. I offered £30 and got it. I just have to arrange payment and collection. Its not a Singer but was made by a company in Oldham that made under license. I forget its name just now.

Well both tests are negative so need to report the results, shower , breakfast, pack the car and go. We are expected for lunch

Have a good day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad you've got anther machine to refurbish. My mother's first job was at the Jones Sewing machine company. See THIS Wiki article. The sewing machine industry in that area was very busy!
I hope you have a good trip to Julia's and avoid infection!
I've been in the shed and will be back shortly with a report....

Here's the pic that sums up this morning. The nice looking block is my blank for the crosshead, the pieces in front are the lumps I had to cut off the gun metal block in the kit to get to the size I need.
Stuarts have been a bit naughty. The crosshead should have been a casting as it's a complicated little part but Stuarts just chucked a lump of gun metal in and it's not even the size they give in the parts list.
No point complaining. I shall just go quietly forward!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 18:27 Hopefully that's all it needs as it'll be a new battery otherwise, which is £55 (40% off at Euro Car Parts) I don't really want to spend.
Kev, before you rush off spending the kids inheritance I would advise getting the battery checked with a garage who has one of the latest computerised meters. I have mine checked at 'Graham's' of Colne. Usually no charge but I am a long standing customer. Mention my name to Darren, On the other hand he may charge you double. :surprised:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 09:37
Big Kev wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 18:27 Hopefully that's all it needs as it'll be a new battery otherwise, which is £55 (40% off at Euro Car Parts) I don't really want to spend.
Kev, before you rush off spending the kids inheritance I would advise getting the battery checked with a garage who has one of the latest computerised meters. I have mine checked at 'Graham's' of Colne. Usually no charge but I am a long standing customer. Mention my name to Darren, On the other hand he may charge you double. :surprised:
Thanks Ken, I'll see how the overnight trickle charge has gone and then go from there (still in my dressing gown drinking tea at the moment).
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been for a walk round the block. Dry all morning and started to drizzle as soon as I set off. Deep Joy....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Having all the family round for a roast dinner.

Grandchildren have already been here for three days. Carla, Ant and our Jack will be attending. Isla and Fin will go home tonight with their mum and dad, Ruby goes back to Stratford on the train with Sally tomorrow. Cross rail strike action means that Sally will have to stay over in Stratford tomorrow night and extensive upgrade works at Leeds Station means there may be buses involved on the way out and maybe the way back between Skipton and Kirkstall Forge.
Ian
MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

Today I took the battery off the lawn tractor (a bit late, I know).
Last night we had a dusting of snow so I've split a few logs and stacked them in the garage.
Tonight we will enjoy a nice log fire to go with the Chicken Noodle Soup and a bit of telly.

Hey, it's life in the fast lane here, yer know... :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Mick, that sounds about right. We're having a spell of record breaking mild weather here but it ends today as we slide out of double figures with a strong wind.
I shall be sculpting my tiny crosshead. No bookie watch yesterday as it rained but we could be in luck today!
Hopefully the world will be going back to work. But I forget, the Omni excuse and home working.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Just doing our lateral flow test and having a cuppa in bed before we shower and go to Julias for breakfast. We arrived at the hotel about 9.30:pm after a lovely day with Julia and went straight to our hotel bedroom. we saw no one except the receptionist, now behind big glass screens, and spoke to no one. We had a lovely day yesterday. Julia did a lovely Christmas dinner minus the pud , which we had in the evening after a rather late small snack. We were all still full. Julia and Ed are fantastic cooks and I told the girls as they tucked in heartily, how lucky they are 😊

Our tests are negative, again, which is good. The girls and Ed are going to an out door ice rink set up in the old cathedral grounds. Julia has tickets for Bob and I and herself to go to the Turner exhibition whilst they are there. This is an annual art prize which this is in Coventry as part of their year of culture.

We will stay at Julias till after tea and tootle on home in the evening. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds as though it went well. I'm glad it all worked out.

Here's today at knocking off time. No, it's not a trick. I cut the stock the wrong size yesterday and had to start again. The joys of old age. However I am further forward and it's been a good morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Daughter in law has had day 6 and 7 negative LFTs so she's off out, with my youngest offspring, to get some fresh air and probably some retail therapy.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 18:27 Charging the battery on the Yeti, the auto engine stop/start stopped working. A quick check with a meter only showed 12.1 volts, it's not really had a good run since the alternator went toes up. Fortunately eldest offspring has a 'smart' charger (my standard charger charges too fast for the Yeti's electrical system) so a non contact collection was made from his back doorstep and it's now trickling away overnight at Chez Kev. Hopefully that's all it needs as it'll be a new battery otherwise, which is £55 (40% off at Euro Car Parts) I don't really want to spend.
The overnight trickle charge looks to have done the job., auto stop/start is working again. Working from home has knocked 15,000 miles a year off my usual travelling and the battery doesn't really get charged up properly in the car. The failed alternator would have given it a hit too.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

My car now sits outside on trickle charge. 4 amp max at 13.8 volts. 90% of my running is less than 2 mile so even with the initial tickover a couple of hundred revs higher at start up it barely keeps up with the start up losses. Car batteries don't like being flattened it shortens their life and with the cold weather coming better to keep on top of things.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah, the joys of motoring in cold weather! One of the great advantages about living at Hey Farm was the fact I had a hill right down to the bottom of Manchester Road. If that didn't start an engine there was a serious problem!
I shall be in the shed doing more work on my complicated little crosshead.Problem is that the more time you invest in such an intricate bit of machining, the bigger the tragedy if you screw up!
We are promised sun so bookie watch might happen. Yesterday it started raining the minute I stepped out of the door so I did the sensible thing and came back indoors.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

January 4 th, Julia is 47 today. How can that be. She was due on Christmas Day, I am so glad she was born later. To prevent her birthday being swamped by Christmas we always took decorations down on the 1st. The habit remains so today now we are back home the decorations will come down. I also want to change and was our bedding. It will be a busy morning setting the house straight again

Its due to snow. I wonder if it will the sky looks clear at the moment. It would be nice to get a short walk in but we have to be in for Tesco mid afternoon, and later I have pilates and yoga. It will be nice to get back to normal

Have a good day

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”