Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

That's handy Sue, you posted just as I opened the topic.
"Julia is 47 today. How can that be"
It's a bit of a shock isn't it, Margaret is 60 this year, tell me how that happened. Grandchildren buying houses and having children. I think they call it the march of time.

Here is where I am at at knocking off time today. As you can see, quite a lot has been done and I'm pleased to say, with no cock ups. :biggrin2: I've put the curve in the con rod end and cut the small end of the con rod down to size for the clevis. I was baffled for a while by a seeming mismatch between the drawing of the crosshead and that of the con rod. All is clear now, the reason for the difference is that I have to make a crosshead pin, it's not simply a simple 4BA bolt as I was assuming. So this is a good place to stop because I need to be able to mount the con rod on the crank pin and the crosshead in order to get an accurate measurement for the connection between the piston rod and the crosshead. But that's for tomorrow.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Waiting for Sally's call to go and pick her up from Skipton. The outward trip involved a train to Kirkstall Forge then bus to Leeds Station, the train from Leeds to Birmingham ran on time. Return ouney may be a reverse with a bus from Leeds to Kirkstall depending on how the track work has gone on. It will probably be mid to late afternoon when she is back in Skipton.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning I know exactly what I have to do when I go in the shed, make a tiny crosshead pin and fit it..... Watchmaking. :biggrin2:
After second sleep it should be sunny cold and dry so a good wrap up and bookie watch.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Well it was a day of washing, ironing , tidying and sewing yesterday, followed by my pilates and yoga. Plus we cleared the Christmas decorations away and because it didn’t snow in the morning, in fact at all, Bob managed to put away all the outside lights . I checked my greenhouse as it was so cold and ensured my fuchsias and begonias were covered with wadding to protect them over the next couple of months. I noticed that most of my winter planted broad beans were up though some seem to have rotted. They don’t need to be in the greenhouse, they are there to protect them from tunnelling squirrels rather than the weather .

This morning I am at the hairdressers, this afternoon a bit more sewing but later we are going to Leyland to collect my new machine for renovation. As its not far from Claire's we are calling in there as well as we have some clothes for Erin that Briony has grown out of. I have pilates at 8.00 pm, not my favourite time for a class . It will be a quick tea when we get back from Preston .

Beautiful sky this morning, the forecast is for a cold sunny day. Have a good one everyone.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Sue, I think you are right. Yesterday the sun was a bit slow to come out but it looks as though it will be earlier this morning.

Today I wanted to make the crosshead pin which is the tiny custom bolt you can see above fitted to the little end of the con rod. I started by sharpening a small cutter specifically for this job. I wanted a very sharp cutter that didn't have the cutting point honed into a small radius with a diamond hone which is how you get finish. I didn't want finish I wanted precise lengths and square corners.
I started with some hexagon rod, just the right size.... But as soon as I started cutting it I found it was brass, I hadn't realised because it's very old and was black. So a fresh start with 1/4" silver steel. It has a round head and I have cut a slot in it so I can use a screwdriver.
I came out of the shed early, didn't feel like starting a new task. I'm satisfied, one more small step with no mistakes.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed. Not sure whether today is shopping day or not. I'll take a view later.
Looking at the weather forecast it looks as though it might snow all night tonight so I think I'd better shop today.
Bookie watch may be orft as well because the snow could have started by dinner time. I shall suck it and see.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I went in the shed early this morning and got an hour and a half in before my early doors weekend shop. My aim was to temporarily install the cylinder and drill and tap the crosshead for the piston rod. The image shows where I finished up at with the guides in place and the piston in place in the crosshead. No surprise, the positioning of the crosshead isn't quite right and adjustments will have to be made but that's for tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

No snow this morning, though it was forecast. Now it says light snow at lunchtime followed by rain. We aren’t planning on going out, just in case. If it does snow we can have trouble getting back home up the hill. I have pilates this morning, and I am now feeling the last three sessions as I ache, but then I have done nothing, not even a walk for over two weeks . We did a quick two mile round trip to our least favourite post office yesterday but had no time to do further after lunch as we were off to Leyland at 3.30 pm to pick up the machine. It doesn’t look too bad but its not as good as the last one. It seems to be a German Nauman (?) from my research last night, possibly early 1900. Watch this space.So you know what I may be doing today.

My friend Gill may pop round for a coffee later, she has just done her day 7 negative after a day 6 negative yesterday . She wants to have a walk first to see what her breathing is like before going back to work tomorrow. Apparently she gets breathless going up stairs. She needs to be ok as she is a physio assistant. She is actually a qualified occupational therapist but has not worked for years as she was abroad with her husband who was in the army . She is doing this job as it came up and she thought it was a good way to get back into her profession. Gill was at school with Julia and Ed , we met at pilates and have become good friends....we giggle a lot.... :laugh5:

The sky looks bit strange at the moment . Grey with an over pink haze. Snow is on the way. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've got that funny looking sky as well Sue. It looks angry to me. We'll see later...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Checking 2021 census. It was references to Penny Mill that made me think of oneguy. It’s been a funny few years, however hello one and all. 👍
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Julie.... nice to know you still pop in occasionally. How's life treating you? And are you seeing snow in deepest Norfolk?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Good to see you Julie! I haven't ventured onto the 1921 census yet, I don't want to be tempted into spending more money than I already do on my subscription!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Hi Julie, seen any courting frogs yet? :extrawink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If frogs have any sense they are hibernating!
No set-off with Susan today, too cold and a lousy forecast. We might look at Saturday but that's very wet!
I shall be weighing my engine up. Before I adjust the size of the parts I have to work out where to make the adjustment!
Looking at the weather forecast I can't see any chance of a walk yet. I shall take a view when we get there. Shed is definitely going to be the favourite place.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:19 Good to see you Julie! I haven't ventured onto the 1921 census yet, I don't want to be tempted into spending more money than I already do on my subscription!
Morning

My thoughts exactly Wendy. There is no urgency, I shall wait till it pops up on my subscription. I think I know where all my ancestors of interest were in 1921, unfortunately its the 1931 that would have been of value.

Well we did get some snow yesterday which cleared by late afternoon. It was however sufficient to stop my friend Gill from coming. This morning there is a light covering with a promise of more. We aren’t planning on going anywhere. It us u3a art but as I do not want to mix to ensure we get to the Lakes next week I had already decided not to go. The sky looks threatening anyway and I just heard thunder and saw a flash of lightening . So this morning I shall do dance exercise instead.

Afterwards I shall either sew or do some more on my machine. Yesterday I cleaned and oiled the wooden cover and did a little cleaning on the machine but really I spent most of the afternoon doing some research. I finally identified what it was and its age. Confirmation of its manufacturer came when I did the cover, and cleaned the latch plate where I discovered the name. Its a German Hengstenberg, made some time between 1893 and 1899, as that was the only time this manufacturer produced under that name. From the number and the ones I found online it is probably 1888/9.
70674110-0958-461F-A11D-1D376F70F693.jpeg
There are a few for sale in various states of repair. The better ones are being sold for £200 ish, thats if they sell. Most are in a similar condition to mine as far as the design work on it ie, mostly gone, but all have been cleaned to a sparkling condition. Mine has a better and unusual cover and it has some very good attachments. Its a challenge, and I will need some help from Bob to check its mechanics.

Thus it looks like I have today covered. Have a good day all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I did almost two and a half hours in the shed this morning. Lots of little jobs and adjustments. Bottom line is that the piston is now running equidistant in the cylinder and clearing the registers on the lids at each end. The piston rod length has been adjusted and the crosshead is now running accurately on the slide. The crank bearing has been adjusted and now runs in a full circle and not fouling the bed, there is very little room at the end of the stroke. I've also modified the crosshead so that the bottom of the slide doesn't overrun the slide. All in all a lot of little jobs attended to and I am now ready to fit the crosshead guides.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed for a couple of hours working on the crosshead and guides. Then second sleep and Susan is coming for a cup of tea so we can touch base on several matters. I shall be cooking oxtail and steak and kidney later this morning....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a cold damp morning. There was not much snow yesterday and what there was , was more or less gone by evening. It has not snowed again. We are off to Bacup market this morning, where no doubt it will be a bit worse. We are stocking up with food for our meals next week in the Lakes. We shall try and keep to ourselves whilst there but hope to do a bit of walking . The forecast is not too bad but in preparation I reproofed our walking gear. Later we shall pack, but are in no rush to leave in the morning as we can’t go in the lodge till 4.00 pm. We usually make a day of the trip up , stopping off in various places but probably won’t tomorrow.

I spent the day yesterday cleaning my german machine. The chrome work is coming up well, better than the Singer and the wooden case is beautiful. It has a couple of flaws but I have managed to get rid of various stains and splash marks. I will probably not continue today as the next stage of disconnecting the bobbin winder and the handle is time consuming and messy.
D43BFA04-3300-40B7-906B-D018073E5CB1.jpeg
804EE252-7E44-4F08-81A5-F179A0419030.jpeg
Its so dark this morning, I hate this time of year. I struggle to wake and my head is in a permanent fuzz with catarrh and earache related to it. I feel an inhalation coming on.

Have a good day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's looking good so far Sue, lovely inlay work on the base and the lid. As for the weather next week, who can tell? It's January in the North of England!

Two for the price of one. I put the two jaw chuck on and did a bit of high risk turning to make the crosshead pretty by turning the end that accepts the piston rod round. This matters because it means the nose fits between the studs that adjust the gland.
Then I started on fitting the crosshead guides, I can measure accurately now. I ran into some trouble straight away. The set screws are supposed to be 5BA but after finding I was having a problem I realised that I was using the wrong tapping drill. I did some more measuring and found that I could get away with using 4BA bolts so that's what I am doing. As you can see I have one guide fitted and provided with witness marks. Tomorrow I shall carry on and fit the other. Slow but steady progress and no cock-ups.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Slow but steady progress and no cock-ups.... :biggrin2:

Probably playing at mending my second Vienna wall clock. This one has been in the family since 1910. Butchered by my dad about 60 years ago when he couldn't get it to run. I had it running for 30 years but a couple of weeks ago it gave up the ghost completely. Every bearing, wheel and pinion are worn out. After much Manchestering of bits and pieces I got it to 'tick' but without the 'tock'. Runs when you are watching but stops as soon as your back is turned. I shall not be beaten by a bunch of cog wheels.
PS That's where the new head torch came in handy. You don't get in your own light. :good:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 08:59 Slow but steady progress and no cock-ups.... :biggrin2:

Probably playing at mending my second Vienna wall clock. This one has been in the family since 1910. Butchered by my dad about 60 years ago when he couldn't get it to run. I had it running for 30 years but a couple of weeks ago it gave up the ghost completely. Every bearing, wheel and pinion are worn out. After much Manchestering of bits and pieces I got it to 'tick' but without the 'tock'. Runs when you are watching but stops as soon as your back is turned. I shall not be beaten by a bunch of cog wheels.
PS That's where the new head torch came in handy. You don't get in your own light. :good:
I like your description ....

As for the head torch I could do with one, luckily I have a pair of spots on a stand that I can reposition. I usually use them when I am sewing. They came in handy yesterday when cleaning this machine
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been inside a Vienna clock in the past but wouldn't dream of doing it now. Best of luck with it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Today I have been sorting through some not so old photos and came across this one of Col and myself enjoying the view of the islands from Ardnamurchan Point in 2009 and I'm posting it because it's OK to post again!
271687056_3992273544142413_8803981175840946711_n.jpg
MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

Today I shall mainly be feeling awful after having my booster shot. :-(
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I had my booster last Thursday, felt achy and tired for a couple of days. The big thing is to remember not to knock your upper arm on anything. Ouch!
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”