Today I shall be Mainly...

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Big Kev »

My weather app, for Foulridge, is showing cloud all day, it's lying as it's currently clear sky and sun. It's also showing a 2 hour slot, from midday, with a 50% chance of rain. In general the weather looks to be looking more like it should for the end of May but we'll see. I may get a chair out of the shed and have an alfresco coffee.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today is going to be a bit catchy I think, the serious sun starts tomorrow!

In the shed I have started making my crankshaft. (With one cock-up costing me at least half an hour..... If you want a laugh look at Shed Matters.)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed making a crankshaft and after second sleep will be having a longer walk and sit in the sun.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Well it turned out to be a really beautiful day. We did go and visit my brother after we had done a covid lateral flow test ( he lives in a small village in Kirklees) . I took him an assortment of veggie plants and geranium cuttings for the boxes for plants he has had put up outside his flat . We also took him a big bag of compost. The boxes have no soil in them still so maybe my plant efforts will not come to much but at least he has something to plant later and most can be grown on in bigger pots using the compost. For a few years we had fallen out but the pandemic and my daily blog has reunited us. He will never be my favourite person but he has mellowed over the years. He is now unable to walk well, it being more of a shuffle and I hate to see him like that. I find it particularly sad as he used to run with Brendon Foster at Gateshead Harriers.

Back home I did some washing and pottered in the greenhouse. As the day wore on I saw my third planting of runner beans literally burst from the soil. What a difference a bit of warmth and sun makes. Today I shall change the bedding, wash some fabric I have bought and do the ironing. This afternoon I have a little food prep to do as Claire and family are coming over for a BBQ, following a trip to the park to have a ride on model railway. Bob will be there most of the day. Our new BBQ and outdoor seating will have their first outing.

Have a good day everyone. Enjoy the weather while it lasts.
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 29 May 2021, 06:37 My weather app, for Foulridge, is showing cloud all day, it's lying as it's currently clear sky and sun. It's also showing a 2 hour slot, from midday, with a 50% chance of rain. In general the weather looks to be looking more like it should for the end of May but we'll see. I may get a chair out of the shed and have an alfresco coffee.
It said that here too Kev, and yes it lied. It was 9.00 pm before we saw any rain. We had alfresco croissant and coffee after our Bacup trip. The first in a long long time
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Excellent stuff Sue, I never got a chair out but they're definitely coming out today. The sun is lovely and warm already.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I love the thought of runner beans exploding into growth.....

A crank pin and a mistake. I'm getting old.... One a day it seems! Never mind. I can make it work and they'll never see it off t'Ribble... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

First job is to plash a bit of paint round on the kitchen radiator, shirting board and knowing me kitchen floor. Then its out with the mower to cut some grass. Only one problem some of it is definitely ' where the hell are we' territory. :sad:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

02F9E705-8A0E-4D07-A65D-4E1DF1117CDC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Excellent. One they have decided to go nothing can stop them!
I shall be chasing my crankshaft but with a bit of difficulty as I cut a piece out of my finger end when peeling vegetables yesterday. The potato peeler is good at its job!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

My beans doubled in size yesterday, they are now back in the greenhouse, the conservatory and the sun having worked their magic. I am hoping to have them in situ in the garden before we go away on Friday, to Norfolk for a week. That way my neighbour will only have to water the tomatoes . I have some trays of flower seeds germinating but I can always put them outside in a sheltered spot.

We had a lovely BBQ tea yesterday. We ate inside as we needed the dining table. That was so nice. A family gathering round the table, in fact having anyone to eat inside was such a change. It must be 18 months since we last did it. Claire and family came over last June but they were restricted to outside and after that it was always a picnic in a park. Erin has grown and when did a little round faced child become so tall, thinner and oh so different. She set the table, helped me out the food out, was so good just so......fantastic. What a sense of fun, and extremely polite. All pleases and thank yous, and ‘ please may I leave the table’ when she had finished and we we were chatting. She is a credit to them . She chatted non stop and was full of a ‘girls night away in a hotel’ . Claire is taking a week off work this week as it is half term, and she is taking Erin down to Coventry to see her cousins for the day . They are staying overnight in the local Premier inn before they come home. Erin was so excited about this, just the girls because ‘daddy will be working’ .

We have no plans for today but intend taking it as it comes. If we go walking we will have to think carefully about a route as it has become a very popular walking area round here. We certainly don’t want to go out in the car. I think it would be nice just to spend time chilling out in our own garden, we don’t get many opportunities.

Have a good day everyone.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"We certainly don’t want to go out in the car."
That sounds like a wise choice Sue, there will be plenty out there today. I have had one short walk and will go out to inspect the traffic lights later (And see who is going into the bookies.....)

Here we are this morning at knocking off time, we have a crankshaft.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

We went for a walk just after breakfast and found another variation on one of our regular 4 mile walk. It was 5 miles, we hardly saw anyone. We are now having lunch in the garden , exactly a year since we last did so. We put the table and chairs away this day last year as rain was forecast for the next day June 1st. It rained every day after that .
We are now just 100 miles off Paris in our virtual walk
34072BDB-56A8-47FA-8777-EDC9D62EAA1D.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Listening to the news it's a good job it's a virtual walk, are you going to add a virtual isolation to the end of it? :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 31 May 2021, 12:22 Listening to the news it's a good job it's a virtual walk, are you going to add a virtual isolation to the end of it? :biggrin2:
A virtual beer perhaps , or indeed a real one. Yes this quarantine is making any trip to France both expensive and lonely at the moment 🙁
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 31 May 2021, 17:13
Big Kev wrote: 31 May 2021, 12:22 Listening to the news it's a good job it's a virtual walk, are you going to add a virtual isolation to the end of it? :biggrin2:
A virtual beer perhaps , or indeed a real one. Yes this quarantine is making any trip to France both expensive and lonely at the moment 🙁
A real one sounds like a plan. Hopefully the vaccination programme in Europe will sort out the access to Francais soon.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure at the moment. I've taken the plaster off the finger I cut the other day with the potato peeler and I'm letting it have some fresh air before a dry tubular bandage. It looks horrible because I put the dressings on while it was bleeding and it's a bit tender as well. I shall take a view later...
We are promised another sunny day so there will be walks!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Beautiful day yesterday. We had an early walk as previously mentioned, lunch in the garden, did a bit of gardening but spent the afternoon sanding down the old garden furniture , coating it with preservative and giving it a new lease of life as secondary garden seats . There was also a fair bit of sitting and beer drinking !

This morning I shall walk into town for a 9.10 appointment at the optician to collect my new glasses and leave my old ones for repair. Whilst there I shall call at the phone shop to get a new SIM card for my ipad. I have had a contract with O2 for years but they have never lowered the price and cannot match the price of THREE . I use THREE for my phone and find them very good. After that is sorted I will walk home, probably with Bob who is going later to the bank at 10.00 am . Its a weekly trip now the model train is running again, with weekly takings of about £250 . He is down at the park this afternoon strimming the grass round the track, I may join him and do a bit of general gardening for them

Have a good day
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Installing a fibreglass roof on a friend's garage, should keep me out of mischief until lunchtime. There has been improvement to feeling pants and antibiotics are ready for collection at the chemist, hopefully a mixture of drugs, fresh air, sunshine and physical labour will clear it up :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You and Bob get closer to normal Sue and without doing anything silly. Would that everyone was as sensible.
I sorted my finger, got it a lot more comfortable and went in the shed to do good works!

We move forward quietly and carefully... We have a fitted con rod and flywheel.

Just seen your post Kev. Good luck with the treatment, I know how debilitating a UTI can be. If it's any consolation I don't seem to get them now. Even when I was having the BCG cancer treatment. Norse Helen told me that I was the only one in that cohort who hadn't had a single infection. I wish you the same.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The roof went on OK, it was very warm though. I need a nap now :biggrin2:

Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Looks good Kev. I have a fibreglass roof on my kitchen, tight as a drum. I put a rubber roof on my pent shed a couple of years ago, that has been OK as well.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 07:11 Just seen your post Kev. Good luck with the treatment, I know how debilitating a UTI can be. If it's any consolation I don't seem to get them now. Even when I was having the BCG cancer treatment. Norse Helen told me that I was the only one in that cohort who hadn't had a single infection. I wish you the same.
Thank you, I was OK until they started prodding and poking, they must have let something loose.
The typo for Norse Helen made me smile, I have a picture of a nurse in a viking helmet in my head now :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 16:24 Looks good Kev. I have a fibreglass roof on my kitchen, tight as a drum. I put a rubber roof on my pent shed a couple of years ago, that has been OK as well.
Thanks Ian, me and youngest offspring got stuck in and the job was done in 4 hours. I did the same on the kitchen extension at Park Street, it was still sound when I sold the place so that'll do for me.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I can't help but think that Stanley's resistance to UTIs is due to the amount of bleach he inhales.... :laugh5:

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”