Today I shall be Mainly...

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Big Kev »

I'm expecting to hear mid November, Colne Health Centre is local for me.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 16:32 I'm expecting to hear mid November, Colne Health Centre is local for me.
A quick word. Back in September we rang up inquiring when the booster may be available. "Not quite sure sometime early October, don't ring us we'll ring you". This Thursday gone 14 Oct we rang up asking again when it would happen. "can you come tomorrow Friday 4 05 pm?" so we did.
No harm in asking I would say.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 20:35
Big Kev wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 16:32 I'm expecting to hear mid November, Colne Health Centre is local for me.
A quick word. Back in September we rang up inquiring when the booster may be available. "Not quite sure sometime early October, don't ring us we'll ring you". This Thursday gone 14 Oct we rang up asking again when it would happen. "can you come tomorrow Friday 4 05 pm?" so we did.
Mid November will be 6 months from the second jab so not sure if they'll let me in early.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Colne booster centre is in the arcade just above the market. I was offered it as a choice.
I shall be in the shed working on the 'simple' slide valve. Anything but simple if you dig into it! Light rain promised so I don't know about bookie watch later.... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A damp dreary day, a bit how I feel. I didn’t sleep well spending most of the night reading. My brother being here stirred up a number of family distresses to the point that I had to ask him to stop talking about it. Anyway he and Bob will sort out executor things this morning whilst I do my zoom art lesson with Briony. We managed to sort out other remaining funeral issues and Bob , brother, will leave us today to stay with a cousin near Keighley. From there over the next couple of days he will finalise things. Where we live on the edge of the M62 gives us a nightmare journey at 9.00 in the morning. We shall gave to go straight to the crematorium for 10.00 rather than to the flat in Cleckheaton for 9.00. It looks like it will be family only as we do not know Dave's friends and his telephone is of no help to us. Even his facebook page only had family and a couple of family friends on it.we are still trying to track down his ex wife. I will be so glad when it is the 28 th and all over

During the day yesterday i busied myself tidying the garden, taking down sweet peas and my sweet corn and pruning a few bits and pieces. I continued till the brown bin was full. I interspersed this with watching Eve swimming in Birmingham as the races were streamed live. She did well the little love, producing some personal best times . She has three more races today and I shall do my best to watch

I am not sure what else I will do today and will take ot as it comes.

Have a good day
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 20:35
We are not sure where our centre is or its contact details . Bob looked it up online and it simply says to wait till you are invited to attend
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear the funeral is causing distress Sue. The sooner it's over the better. I've got to the stage where I hate them! I was quite glad to here of my brother's death after the funeral. Not that it would have made any difference, I wouldn't have gone. I hope you soon get a resolution and can get on with your own life.
I've done two hours in the shed, I shall be back shortly with evidence!
Later... I have had a nice trouble free morning watchmaking on the steam valve and chest. Quiet useful progress.

More work like this over in shed matters....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Chasing my valve gear! Could be raining at dinnertime so we'll see about the bookies.
Watching for Peter coming back from holiday.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its dark this morning and I have no idea of the forecast. From my bed I can just about see the sky is streaked with pink. I had a better nights sleep last night as I was pretty physically and emotionally exhausted when I went to bed. My brother left us about 2.00 pm and Bob then went to the model engineers. I busied myself making some pumpkin soup with the one and only pumpkin I managed to grow this summer. I tried a new spicy recipe rather than the one Rolands wife told me years ago.its a bit hot, so it could be an interesting lunch today :laugh5: I then stripped the spare bed and rearranged the room as two singles for the girls arriving next weekend, washed and ironed and had a long online chat with my sister. I had asked her to sort out the music for the funeral as she is the one who knew Dave the best. She came up with some pretty emotional stuff leaving us both rather emotional but at least the job is now done.

On a plus I managed to watch all of Eves swims live on youtube. This modern technology is good stuff. She and I also had a few chats on Whats app from the pool side. She did three personal best times knocking several seconds off her previous best. Briony and i did a zoom art session where we did a duck in water. I introduced a couple of new techniques and she did so well. She is really coming on a treat and is so enthusiastic.

This morning is pilates and yoga. I have not done any for nearly 4 weeks, it could be tough going. There are no plans for the afternoon . Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad you're coping Sue. As for being able to wat5ch Eve's swims and chat with her on Whatsapp.... technology is wonderful, I talk to Margaret in Perth, 9,000 miles away, every morning and think nothing of it.
I have had two hours in the shed and will return shortly with a report....
08:35.

Lots of good progress. Here's just part of it, the cylinder has a valve and even more. See shed matters for the full story.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed as usual. I'm beginning to allow myself to think about what comes next. Not quite ready to tackle the Shand Mason fire pump...

I'll allow myself the luxury of dreaming about it. One thing is certain, I must have another project to carry on after the 10H! It keeps me going.
There was no walk or bookie watch yesterday, I couldn't get up enough enthusiasm for a walk in the rain so I cooked instead. We have rain forecast today but I feel bad about not walking at all.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Yes a very wet day yesterday. After my pilates/yoga and lunch I busied myself sorting out my winter clothes and putting the rest of my summer ones in the loft for another year. In the evening I had art so it all kept me busy on a wet day.

Today looks much the same. Bob needs to go to the bank but like you Stanley we don’t fancy a walk in the rain. It depends how heavy it is. This afternoon Bob has the model engineers Tuesday afternoon gathering, which I think will be a cup of tea and a natter if the rain continues. I could do with a sewing project other than the big one I shall start with Maxine on Wednesday. I think I shall sort my fabric stash and scraps and see what I can do. Pilates and yoga this evening at a slightly earlier time

Have a good day
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, the rain started here at 7AM just as the forecast said. Yes, I shall think carefully about my late morning walk. I know what you mean about a smaller project, that's how I feel about what comes after this 10H. There has to be another engine but the fire pump is a bit intimidating and I think I'll risk another set of castings from Stuarts. I shall have a think....
As for this morning I have had almost two hours and made nice progress. I'll be back in a minute or two.

Cylinder and steam chest ready for fitting and I have started on the eccentric. A nice morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

I had a rush of blood to the head and cleaned the garage out.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You'll feel better for it! (Did you find the chainsaw?)
I shall be in the shed as usual for a couple of hours chasing my eccentric and its rod.
Bookie Watch would be a certainty but what rain is forecast is for my time on the bench! We'll see....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a misty damp start to the day and I gather it is going to be rather cool. I did not do any sewing yesterday but spent a couple of hours sorting through my fabric and bagging up what I don’t want. I have put an advert on gum tree to try and sell the surplus. Otherwise I did something very unusual. I sat and read a book. It was not a particularly good book or well written but I wanted to finish it, which I did do early in the evening.

This morning I will do a bit of washing and this afternoon I have my sewing session with Maxine. We are starting designing the pattern for a summer jacket. It is based on a commercial pattern so yesterday I downloaded some images for us to work off. I would buy the pattern but the fun and the skill is to make one to fit to my own measurements. Mine will probably be quite different in the end as I alter neck shapes, collars etc. This evening I have pilates. Also today I have to tweak what I am saying at my brothers funeral . The three of us ( brother, sister and me) are all speaking and we have 3 minutes each. At the moment mine is 4 minutes. I will probably play around with it whilst the washer is on .

So thats it. Have a good day
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue... the sooner that funeral is over the better. I like the way you describe modifying the pattern to suit yourself. It struck me that that's what I do with my engines and sometimes come a cropper. That happened this morning. I'll be back shortly.....

I'd cocked up and had to remake the eccentric, here we are at closing time, this one is right!

Knocking off time, this is another eccentric and is OK. See shed matters....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes Stanly nearly 25 days from death to funeral is too long ! I just want to move on from a very difficult period. We heard yesterday that Dave's partner Lily will have to leave the flat. Although they are happy to sign it over to her she could not afford the rent. They said by this weekend and we have said that is not possible. My poor brother Bob is working his socks off trying to get it all sorted. Its not as of he lives local, he has to keep driving up from Cardiff. It takes him ages as he has a severe form of arthritis . My Bob is helping all he can as co executor, but sometimes it is better if one person does all the organising and the others do the tasks allocated. The funeral is next Wednesday ay 10.00 in the morning which will involve us travelling up the M62 at rush hour. I suggested that my sister who lives in Liverpool travels up the day before and stays in a hotel
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Booster booked for next Thursday afternoon in Bury
MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

Stanley wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 02:49 You'll feel better for it! (Did you find the chainsaw?)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice one Mick.... :biggrin2:
Mines the day after Sue in Barlick at 15:25.
I shall be on with the eccentric rod this morning and as it's forecast to be dry today I could be doing overtime later cutting out and moulding the bed for this engine on the bench in the yard. It'll be cold but I think a wrapped up bookie watch will be on the cards.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Cold morning , 3 degrees, and day forecast, dry and sunny. This morning I have art at Haslingden. This afternoon the technician is coming to mend my washer. The bearings have gone on the drum and its been getting noisier for weeks. Now it is almost impossible to talk to anyone whilst in its vicinity.

I had an excellent session with Maxine yesterday . It took two hours to roughly draft out just the front of my jacket so now at last i have something to tackle. I may get some time today and Saturday but otherwise it will have to wait a week .

We both received a message about lunchtime yesterday about our jabs and booked pronto. The list of places did not include anywhere in Rochdale. The nearest place was over 5 miles away at the other side of Bury. Whats that all about. Without a car we we would not have been able to go to any of the sites listed . This one would have been 3 buses and a good 3 hour round trip. So much for saving energy.

I will potter in the garden this afternoon. I need to get my geranium pots into the conservatory now it has gone so cold. Yesterday I washed the saucers for the pots and bob has built a staging so they don’t all have to sit on the floor. The pots were all need a wash so I usually dunk them in a bucket or bowl of water and brush them down with an old hand brush . There are a lot of pots so it will take some time!

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Chilly here as well Sue but the sky is clearing now and the forecast of sun may work for us.
I agree totally with you about the inaccessibility of the COVID booster for some. It was the same here in Barlick with the first jabs, round trips of up to 50 miles were quoted and that's why many like me refused to be panicked and waited until some common sense surfaced. Our booster is in the local pharmacists.... 5 minutes walk away. That's the way to do it!
I've had an hour and a half quietly working in the shed and will report later when I have posted on shed matters.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I couldn't book in at Colne when I logged on yesterday so I assume all the appointments were taken for the next couple of weeks. I got a spot in Barnoldswick on 1st November which suits me fine.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Breathe it not but we are getting close to a finished engine....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”