Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like a nice day Sue and from the look of it the weather will favour you.
I have just come in from almost two hours in the shed, I ditched the Co-op, that can wait until tomorrow I shall see what time the gas man cometh and that will set the rest of the day. Like waiting for a courier, I hate it!

I have better elevating screws and six trunnion blocks cut and squared ready for tomorrow.
I also have an incompetent gas man upstairs and will have to check on him. The regular fitters must still be on strike.
I have just checked how he has left me as he has gone.
Here's the list of shortcomings. He couldn't find my house, it took four phone calls to get him in the back street. He parked across the gate making it necessary to climb in over the van. His accent was so strong that what with the mask and is Asian speech I had great trouble understanding him face to face. He couldn't find the thermostat and when I showed him where it was he left it set on 25 degrees C. He didn't fasten the front of the boiler up properly. In short I hate to think what would have happened if I wasn't familiar with the system and could reset it myself.
Not a happy experience.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shed and shopping this morning, I decided to leave the Co-op until today and do veggie shopping in the square instead. Still pondering over the BG experience yesterday. If this is the new standard, include me out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 07:50 I also have an incompetent gas man upstairs and will have to check on him. The regular fitters must still be on strike.
I have just checked how he has left me as he has gone.
Here's the list of shortcomings. He couldn't find my house, it took four phone calls to get him in the back street. He parked across the gate making it necessary to climb in over the van. His accent was so strong that what with the mask and is Asian speech I had great trouble understanding him face to face. He couldn't find the thermostat and when I showed him where it was he left it set on 25 degrees C. He didn't fasten the front of the boiler up properly. In short I hate to think what would have happened if I wasn't familiar with the system and could reset it myself.
Not a happy experience.
Have you complained to BG? They're supposed to be providing a service that you are paying a lot of money for...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a misty and frosty start today and supposed to be a nice day. Yesterday turned out well. After Pilates I joined Bob in the garden for a couple of hours. He carried on moving soil giving the remainder to our neighbour . Then whilst he pruned a shrub, with intentions of eventually taking it out completely, I levelled the new soil, dug it in lightly and hoed the rest of the garden. It all looked a lot better when finished. In the afternoon we did a 5 + mile circuit after collecting our prescriptions.

Today is dance exercise followed by a fast turnaround for u3a craft. I will just be watching today as I have no desire to make the intended project . However as everyone is trying so hard to take a turn in presenting a project ......not an easy task on zoom , its only fair to attend. This afternoon is not planned.

This morning Bob is going to go and bleed the central heating radiators for our friend Kath who is bubbled with us, being a lone widow ( her only son lives in Reading and her only other relatives live elsewhere) We don’t see her much as she is happy to keep to herself but Bob helps out with odd jobs if needed.

Thats it, I shall plan the rest of the day as it happens. Have a good day.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It all sounds good Sue. We don't have the mist and frost but no sign of the sun yet!

I've had an hour in the shed....

All three carronades are numbered and matched to their own blocks which are ready for drilling to accept the trunnions.

Kev, not yet but that's my next job. Totally unacceptable and as you say I am paying a lot for the service.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later. It strained my patience because you all know what a pain it is getting to speak to a human being but I spoke to an intelligent person at BG. It turned out I was right, they are using contractors to catch up with the backlog of visits caused by the strike. The man I got was one of them. The man I spoke to took everything seriously and said that I would never be sent a contractor again and this would be noted on my account. I think he also said something about a refund....
He also said he would be talking to the service manager about the contractor. Not sure what that means.....
That's it, that's all I can do. I'll leave it in their hands.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 08:41 Later. It strained my patience because you all know what a pain it is getting to speak to a human being but I spoke to an intelligent person at BG. It turned out I was right, they are using contractors to catch up with the backlog of visits caused by the strike. The man I got was one of them. The man I spoke to took everything seriously and said that I would never be sent a contractor again and this would be noted on my account. I think he also said something about a refund....
He also said he would be talking to the service manager about the contractor. Not sure what that means.....
That's it, that's all I can do. I'll leave it in their hands.
Good, they need to know these things or they won't do anything about it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Could be they are having trouble finding anyone who wants to work in jobs dealing face to face with the public and visiting homes....given that you now have over 120,000 dead from Covid! 🤔
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

No, they've been on strike and there's a backlog to catch up on.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And because I know a bit about what BG were up to to reduce wages and cut back on benefits for long serving staff I agreed totally with their fight with the management. I think they are back now and have gained some ground but there is a backlog of servicing and that's why they have been dragging contractors in. I asked the one who came to me if he was a permanent BG fitter and he lied and said yes. BG are in no doubt now as to his faults.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 09:32 Could be they are having trouble finding anyone who wants to work in jobs dealing face to face with the public and visiting homes....given that you now have over 120,000 dead from Covid! 🤔
Uncalled for Maz.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I don’t know, Sue. I think it would be pretty terrifying having a face to face/home to home job like that during Covid lockdown!
It’s not as if they are supplied with PPE. They must return to their families after shift worrying what they are carrying home! Even if they stay at a social distance from the client, they could easily be in contact with Covid laden surfaces...
Perhaps the strike came at a convenient time.
( and the contractors are getting “boots on the ground” in any way they can.)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Marilyn wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 21:14 It’s not as if they are supplied with PPE.
Not sure where you get your information from. British Gas, along with any other reputable British company working in people's homes, have to follow strict health and safety procedures.
https://www.britishgas.co.uk/the-source ... -safe.html
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

To put things into perspective Barlick has registered 3 cases of covid in the last week and no deaths. We are unfortunately in a position where people have to earn a living and now in the third month of the second lockdown which legitimately lets some go to work in closed environments and others to work in peoples homes. Its not a situation that I endorse but people have to put bread on the table and they will certainly want to minimise the risk as much as possible. Country wide its 12000 deaths, for me I'm counting 3 close friends. Not something you take lightly.
Last edited by plaques on 27 Feb 2021, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

That is not PPE, Big Kev...a bit of sanitiser, social distancing and a mask are not adequate PPE. Sorry!

Would YOU go into strange people’s homes doing a job day in and day out, armed with only that? They don’t even have disposable coveralls, shoe covers, gloves etc.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You assume it is the “contractors” who temporarily provide the service fo BG - I am suggesting the “contractors” hire anyone willing to take the risks and do the work. They are given five mins training, keys to the van and possibly some overalls. Off they head to the clients houses, barely able to communicate in English. Meanwhile, the contractor sits safely in his office.
I understand people are desperate for work. I understand they are willing to take risks and work for peanuts, especially members of society that are not entitled to government hand outs due to their citizenship status. (And they tend to live in overcrowded conditions to share the rent because they can’t afford anything better).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In British Gas terms the person who is sent to do the job is 'the contractor'. Many are self employed gas fitters. I happened to get a bad one.
No shopping to do today so the shed stands a better chance! Otherwise, enjoying the better weather and having a walk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I bet you London to a Brick, that the man in your house the other day has no sick pay or retirement plan!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 21:14 I don’t know, Sue. I think it would be pretty terrifying having a face to face/home to home job like that during Covid lockdown!
It’s not as if they are supplied with PPE. They must return to their families after shift worrying what they are carrying home! Even if they stay at a social distance from the client, they could easily be in contact with Covid laden surfaces...
Perhaps the strike came at a convenient time.
( and the contractors are getting “boots on the ground” in any way they can.)
I have had three workmen in my house in the last three weeks. All wore gloves and masks. There are workmen everywhere doing post winter repairs on boilers, servicing, gardening. Not a shortage. You had no evidence for your statement, whereas Stanley stated clearly what the problem was. People who work in other homes are given clear guidelines on what to do . I am amazed at your expert knowledge on how our country is run . Do you get a twice weekly government update like I do for here and for France. I am sorry this country isn’t perfect !
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A cold frosty start but a very good forecast. Yesterday was busy. The morning as per each Friday, rather hectic followed by a late lunch. We then did a short round trip to the local shop as we had run out of salad for our pizza tea. We did a bit on the jigsaw and before we knew it, it was time to Whats App Eve. I loved the recipe she made and have asked her to send me a copy.

This morning is Bacup market then I have no plans but lots of unfinished activities. I shall see how the mood takes me.

Have a good day all
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I forgot to mention we had a message from our neighbours in France in response to a comment Bob made about running out of french coffee and Wine. Laetitia offered to send us a parcel but we declined the lovely offer because of the cost of postage and post Brexit taxes. She also said that Yves had mown the lawn and pruned the shrubs and their son, Evan, aged 12 , had cleared grass from underneath. Yves has been airing the house two or three times a week and this weekend she is going to clear cobwebs and vacuum.

Such lovely neighbours. We are moved at their kindness.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I cannot reply to you Sue. I just shake my head. Sorry to hear you have run out of French Coffee and Wine. Tragic.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

( whilst a CHILD weeds your garden in France!)
How privileged are you?!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Keep things civil please.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Marilyn, Your last two posts to Sue are out of order. Please moderate the tone of your posts.
I see Wendy has just posted in the same vein.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”