Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

I shall be strong today and go in the shed! No politics or shopping to get in the way. The weather looks to be OK for a walk and bookie watch later. We shall see. I have a chicken to cook this morning......
05:30. The chicken is in the oven and will be ready when I get up after second sleep. :good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

This morning we will pop to Bacup market to see what the plant man has to offer in the way of late summer flowering plants. We don’t need anything else. I am away next week on an art course so Bob will use all the single portion meals in the freezer ie left overs from over catering at other times.

We are meeting my cousin Trish and my sister Jane for lunch at a pub near Houghton Tower. We haven’t seen each other since we spread my brothers ashes way back in February, it will be good to see gem in happier circumstances. Afterwards Bob is driving me up to Kendal where I will be staying calling at a Tesco click and collect for my groceries for the week. Bob will stay over and drive back tomorrow. Wendy understandably does not want to leave Keith over the weekend so is actually going up to Kendal on Monday morning. If Keith is feeling better he will take her otherwise her daughter, who is visiting a friend in Morecambe on Monday, will take her.

The forecast for the Lakes is cool and wet, but I will be too busy to notice. Have a good day all .
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. well organised as usual. I have just come out of the shed.

I started the day by putting the two flats on the small end of the con-rod to get it to 5/16". Then I measured and marked the cross head, drilled the hole for the cross head pin and set up to mill out the slot for the rod. The second pic shows where I am at knocking off time. I am ready to make the cross head pin and finish the cross head.
A nice morning, now for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Number 1 daughter doing this today ( without daughter!) not bad for a 47 year old. In case you are wondering there is a full support team and feeding stations..

https://chillswim.com/chillswim-coniston-end-to-end/
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 09:03 Number 1 daughter doing this today ( without daughter!) not bad for a 47 year old. In case you are wondering there is a full support team and feeding stations..

I think chillswim is a good description, to be honest I would imagine it'll be bl**dy freezing :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 06:35 at a pub near Houghton Tower.
My resolution to not correct things has lasted less than 24 hours. :smile:

I hope you will understand when I explain that Mrs Tripps comes from that area, and when apart, I phoned every evening. There was no direct diallng, and each call went via an operator. To avoid confusion I spelled out H-o-g-h-t-o-n very carefully. Four ten pence pieces was the budget, and hope the operator dozed off.

Strangely, I've driven past but never actually visited Hoghton Tower

I'll stop it now - honest :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Now I did not know that. I always thought it was the same as Houghton as in Houghton Le Spring in the NE where my Dads office was. I will happily stand corrected.

As for Julia, apparently she went in the water at 10.30 and should be out by 12.15 pm, I think a two hour swim will generate some heat. She is doing it with her friend Dawn, also surname Smith but a coincidence
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had my walk and sit opposite the bookies. I set off in sunshine but then it clouded over and we have spits of rain on the wind. Back inside now.... Not very exhausting and I kept warm.... Now for some cooking I think......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 09:44
Sue wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 09:03 Number 1 daughter doing this today ( without daughter!) not bad for a 47 year old. In case you are wondering there is a full support team and feeding stations..

I think chillswim is a good description, to be honest I would imagine it'll be bl**dy freezing :biggrin2:
Fifth female in her age group, Dawn, her friend, the taller girl in this photo won . Julia was 16 th overall in the 45-49 group out of 55 competitors. Its a proud Mum this weekend . Dawn was 5 th overall.
AFAB6298-4084-42E8-A0AA-57FB717D111D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Excellent stuff :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am sorry if it disappoints anyone but I shall not be swimming.... I shall be in the shed with the Stuart No. 9 engine making slow but steady progress. We have a good forecast so walk and bookie watch look to be on but the wind will chill us a bit I think.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

These two pics show what I did in the shed after I had given Mrs Harrison a good oiling, it has been crying out for some oil for a while but I kept crashing on. As you can see I made the crosshead pin and fitted it. Only a small thing but essential progress.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I too shan’t be swimming Stanley but I wish we had come a day earlier to see 900+ swimmers swimming up Coniston. Bob And I used to swim early every Monday, IN A SWIMMING POOL :laugh5: but have not been since the start of the pandemic and that is one place I still do not fancy going......

This morning is sunny but rain is forecast, we are staying right in the heart of Kendal by the shops, in fact right next to M&S. We are having lunch out then Bob is driving back home. I am not sure what Barbara and I will do this afternoon. I have not seen her for nearly three years and time has taken its toll. From a super fit lady who walked a lot she has lost a lot of weight and struggles to walk. The stairs here are causing her a problem. Apparently this all started before we last met which was an accidental meeting in the centre of Bowness. She has had endless tests and scans but no one can find out what is wrong with her.

We had a good lunch at The Royal Oak near Hoghton tower and arrived here later , about 5. I understand from Facebook that Wendy had a dreadful rainstorm, there was nothing here, but I hope Rochdale had it.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue! We must have been lucky in Barlick because we never saw a thunder shower. At the moment the story here is wind.... I'm off to bed now.... we'll see what happens later.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 19:43 Fifth female in her age group, Dawn, her friend, the taller girl in this photo won . Julia was 16 th overall in the 45-49 group out of 55 competitors. Its a proud Mum this weekend . Dawn was 5 th overall.
And rightly so. This is one one the bigger calendar events with swimmers training especially for it. Not just a fun day as a rather wet Glastonbury. Quite a number of the Colne swimmers taking part in spite of all my ribbing and doom saying.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 06:54 I understand from Facebook that Wendy had a dreadful rainstorm, there was nothing here, but I hope Rochdale had it.
The video from inside Wendy's polytunnel looked, and sounded, pretty horrendous. We must have been just on the edge of it a bit further down the mountain. The flags got a bit damp but soon dried out.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I survived! It must have been approximately 30 minutes of torrential rain, I sat down to wait it out and took a first photo at 8.18pm, then another of the clearing sky as I emerged at 8.46pm. I don't think there was any thunder but I wouldn't have heard it above the noise of the rain :laugh5:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Glad you are OK Wendy. 😊
It begs the question’What was hubby doing while all that was going on?” 🤔
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Cathy wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 08:41 Glad you are OK Wendy. 😊
Watching TV and oblivious to the rain! I sent him a text to let him know where I was, just in case he wondered where I had got to. :laugh5:
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We had the full monty, thunder, lightning and very heavy rain, only lasted a short while, maybe 15mins, then back to sunshine.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 08:46
Cathy wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 08:41 Glad you are OK Wendy. 😊
Watching TV and oblivious to the rain! I sent him a text to let him know where I was, just in case he wondered where I had got to. :laugh5:
:laugh5: :laugh5: :laugh5: :laugh5: . No rain here in kendal last night. We have just had a short light shower but it is very windy indeed
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Saw your video on FB Wendy. We just had light showers on our afternoon walk. It chucked it down mid evening though, glad we were back in the barn. :smile:
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 07:02
Sue wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 19:43 Fifth female in her age group, Dawn, her friend, the taller girl in this photo won . Julia was 16 th overall in the 45-49 group out of 55 competitors. Its a proud Mum this weekend . Dawn was 5 th overall.
And rightly so. This is one one the bigger calendar events with swimmers training especially for it. Not just a fun day as a rather wet Glastonbury. Quite a number of the Colne swimmers taking part in spite of all my ribbing and doom saying.
Yes, lots of clubs listed. Lots of triathlon athletes too. There was even an 85-89 age group...... there were also a number of individuals that did not seem to be attached to clubs
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I got it wrong there were 138 competitors in her age group, 55 were women
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I went to the top of the hill out of Gayle on the Kettlewell Road. Dropped Sally off so she could get onto Cam High Road which is the Roman road from Bainbridge. She was walking back down the fell to Gayle. I parked up and made a few contacts on my mobile transceiver. Dropped back down into Gayle when I felt hungry 20minutes or so in front of Sally who had returned via Burtresett. We had a bit of lunch then walked down into Hawes, a quick look round the shops then a pint in the Crown. We called at the old sweetshop which is owned and run by Sally's cousin Anne's husband Kevin. Waked back to the barn and now chilling before tea. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”