Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Just to confirm our social responsibility is still there, today's LFTs are done and both negative :biggrin2: ...yup its Friday but will do it Sunday this week due to my trip out and I also tested on Wednesday this week when our visitors came
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

20220128_192051.jpg
Elvis isn't in the building yet :biggrin2:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Big Kev wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 19:26 20220128_192051.jpg
He's probably at the Cemetery chippy!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 19:31
Big Kev wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 19:26 20220128_192051.jpg
He's probably at the Cemetery chippy!
:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

FB_IMG_1643408206990.jpg
He turned up :good:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Muck-shifting in the shed for two hours, going for a coffee with Susan later and than cowering down and avoiding the weather for a few days. (We are promised Storm Malik on Sunday and Monday and 50mph gusts today)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its Bacup market this morning and its wild and windy out there. Rain is due, its not going to be a nice day. I shall be redrafting my sleeve for my new jacket as the last attempt was too small to fit into the armhole, otherwise nothing planned. I shall probably have an online chat with Briony who has taken to emailing me every day. she writes in a very adult way. When I enquired as to how she was feeling yesterday we had a chuckle at her reply. ‘ I am not feeling my best grandma’.

Yesterday went as planned, it was a lively, ( and lovely) lunchtime as the 6 of us were in chatty mode . In the evening I watched the bidding on a Frister and Rossman sewing machine which had been stuck at £23 for days. I was about to bid in the last three minutes but did not bother when the price shot up to £68 . Oh yes I found an expert online who could explain what the strange wire thingy was that came with my last renovation. It is part of an embroidery unit( now missing) but carried the reel of cotton, not very securely I might add. Mystery solved, have a good day
1B021713-3688-4CFF-9DE7-29BBA4BCF12F.jpeg
34E90948-CD16-4458-972E-439F75E741C3.jpeg
3C390169-0B02-4A10-A524-6DCE1D783D93.jpeg
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I did some overtime this morning because I have to stay up and wait to see if the roofer turns up. I've turned one side down to 1/2", because that's a better size for the bearings. I can turn the rest of the shafts down to the sizes needed for the flywheel and the eccentric when the time comes. I've cleaned the chips up and I'm ready to start on the other end....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I will be mainly Taxi driving today. Taking our Fin to a birthday party at "Footy Zone" in Burnley. It's right in the centre of town so will have to find somewhere to park to drop him off. Starts at 1pm then pick up at 2.50pm. I have to take him through then to Ant's mum Granny Pam in Skipton. It's back to Carleton then for me to meet Sally at Uncle Joe's 95 birthday do at Spencers Court where Joe has a flat now. Sally is going on the bus to Skipton and will walk over to Carleton if it stays fine or get a taxi if not. Back home around tea time I think.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Filling in the online check in for February's cruise, I have also printed the tickets and luggage labels. I'm waiting until after February 11th to fill out the government's Passenger Location Form as it will change then, there's no longer a requirement to take a LFT before day 2 of return to England and the current form requires the LFT reference number. It's also saved me £30 by not having to buy the LFTs :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 11:54 I will be mainly Taxi driving today. Taking our Fin to a birthday party at "Footy Zone" in Burnley. It's right in the centre of town so will have to find somewhere to park to drop him off.
Sainsbury's is always a good bet :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 11:58 Filling in the online check in for February's cruise, I have also printed the tickets and luggage labels. I'm waiting until after February 11th to fill out the government's Passenger Location Form as it will change then, there's no longer a requirement to take a LFT before day 2 of return to England and the current form requires the LFT reference number. It's also saved me £30 by not having to buy the LFTs :good:
Enjoy, our cruise is the end of April, a deferred golden wedding anniversary cruise
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 11:59
PanBiker wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 11:54 I will be mainly Taxi driving today. Taking our Fin to a birthday party at "Footy Zone" in Burnley. It's right in the centre of town so will have to find somewhere to park to drop him off.
Sainsbury's is always a good bet :good:
I parked on the Burnley Mechanics Car Park which is pay and display on Saturdays, only a spit from the venue, £2.10 for 3 hours so not too bad.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 22:42 Enjoy, our cruise is the end of April, a deferred golden wedding anniversary cruise
Thank you Sue, you too. Ours is deferred 60th birthdays and 40th wedding anniversary.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Susan and Mick came over and we went out in the wind to look at the ice and fire event. We sat in the square on a form in the lee of the marquee and agreed that though it looked daft picnicking in that weather we really enjoyed it. Lots of people about and some quite impressive exhibits. This one was a Crusader's head if you hadn't worked it out!
Today is calm so it might be a Matt day. I shall be in the shed working on my shaft. I have ordered a set of castings for another No 9 Stuart. Don't ask me how much they cost, not a lot if you say it quickly......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had a good start to the day, I surprise even myself at times. I have done the site, cooked liver and onions with tomato and built two meals for the day. Now I'm having a breather and will go in the shed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a lovely morning out there, but looks cold. Today I have art with Briony, who I am assured is desperate to do something. She is on day 4 of covid and is feeling like a caged animal . She spent yesterday lying in the bed watching films with her dad, who has now also tested positive and was feeling a bit rough yesterday. Eve is keeping behind her bedroom door if not out going somewhere, as she has a big swimming event at the weekend. I heard from Laetitia yesterday also as her 15 year old daughter has tested positive so they are preparing for the whole family to be hit. At least the adults have had a booster and 2 out of the 3 children still living at home have been vaccinated. About a months ago France introduced home testing, which Laetitia used yesterday. This accounts for the huge surge in numbers in France , reaching as high 500 000 a day last week. Deaths are lower than ours but of course it is a different climate and fewer underlying bronchial problems

Those ice sculptures look good. I remember seeing some one inside some caves at the top off a mountain in the Alps. I was fascinated by them . As for your picnic, it sounded a great idea. I once watched a programme on television about the ice sculpture festival in China, it was amazing.

After art with B I am off to Manchester to see Strictly Come Dancing, followed by a meal at a restaurant .We are getting a taxi home rather than public transport. It will probably be about 8 or 9 pm when I get back. I shall have a lateral flow test before I go out and wear a mask in the arena if I can breathe in one long enough. It may be nice now but rain is forecast this afternoon. Have a good day all .
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue.... Yes, we really enjoyed sitting there in the cold!
Only one image this morning. I've done almost two hours in the shed and finished this stage of making the crankshaft for the next Number 9 engine. (I ordered the castings yesterday.) If the shafts look a bit heavy there's a good reason, I have made them 1/2" rather than the 3/8" Stuarts ask for. I shall make the bearings that carry the shaft 1/2" to match the shaft and turn the rest of the shaft to the actual size of the flywheel and eccentric when I have made them. A nice morning.....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed, cleaning up and perhaps making the eccentric for the engine. The new castings will be here later this week.
Bookie watch may be on but it will be full Crombie as the wind is going to be cold.
Otherwise back to square one with Jarndyce v. Jarndyce as we wait for HMRC to do their thing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I had a very pleasant day out yesterday. Strictly was a very enjoyable and professional show. The meal however was less successful. The food was good but the service was appalling. We had a main course, left and did not leave a tip. When we first arrived , even though we had booked a table, we were told to go and have a drink somewhere and come back later . Once at the table, 45 minutes after we booked, there were only 5 chairs but 6 of us. We sat with a menu for nearly an hour before anyone came to take an order and when finally our water and wine arrived one was in a dirty glass. They must have known we we were cross as we had 40% knocked off our bill . No they weren’t short staffed, there were lots of staff around but they were not working very efficiently. It was a shambles.

Today Bob and I are off to Keighley to see my cousin Peter and his wife Helen. We are having lunch, going for a long walk and staying for a meal this evening. This has been a long time coming but so many things have happened that we have never had chance to get together. Peter helped Bob load the therapy chair on to our trailer and whilst he was doing that a tentative arrangement was made. I gather its supposed to be relatively dry, and at the moment the wind seems to have died down somewhat. We are looking forward to a good day out, hope you all have a good day too.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was a pity about the meal Sue but there you go, there are lots of bad managers in the world! I hope today's trip works, the forecast says this afternoon will be better than this morning.....
I've had two hours in the shed....

My castings for the engine won't arrive until later this week but there are things I can do. I made the eccentric this morning and turned the shaft down to suit it. It's a good fit. The only mistake I made was to fit the Unbrako 1/8" set screw on the wrong side of the bore instead of taking advantage of the thicker metal on the opposite side which is why I make the eccentrics like this. So, it has two tapped holes. If necessary it can have two set screws fitted.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall go in the shed and turn the other side of the shaft down then clean up because I expect the castings to arrive today.
Not sure about Bookie watch....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I only spent an hour in the shed. I finished the crankshaft and gave Mrs Harrison a really good clean. Ready for my castings.... I expect them today or tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

We had a brilliant day yesterday. The weather was beautiful all day, starting with a scenic drive through Bacup, Todmorden, Hebden Bridge and over the moors to Howarth and finally Bingley, where Peter and Helen live up on the hill. We arrived at 10.00a.m spot on our expected time having met next to no traffic. After a natter and a cuppa we set off for our walk, down into Bingley passed the famous lock ladders, and up the other side of the valley into an old wooded estate. We stopped for lunch in a cafe in a converted estate barn then returned home via Bingley cemetery so I could show Peter the grave of our common ggggrandfather as he had never found it. It was just under 8 miles the round trip and Molly their spaniel still had as much energy as when we set off.Helen made us a lovely meal , we stayed chatting and it was after 10.00 when we got home.

This morning the dish washer repair man is coming sometime after 10.00. I have our bedding to change as I did not have time on Sunday, and I need to battle the stormy weather to return some recent buys to Cotton Traders via our Hermes shop. Then a bit of sewing before its pilates and yoga in the studio. Busy busy I think. Have a good day.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Waiting for the aerial rigger to turn up to our satellite dish, should be (9 -11am). I hav an intermittent on the signals, I lose both lines completely. I have checked the connections at the bottom end and they are OK with no apparent water ingress to the twin down leads. I had a foray out onto the kitchen roof yesterday to see if I could get to the LNB. I have done this before a couple of times in the past but I was a lot more nimble on my feet then! I couldn't get the connector cover off the LNB so I gave up and called the cavalry. Its probably the connections to the LNB or the LNB itself that is faulty. Sods law says that it is behaving itself this morning although the Humax box does show some variation in the signal levels. We'llse what the rigger says when he has a look.
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”