Today I shall be Mainly...

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 07:31 Correction Kev, we couldn’t scan the QR code on my phone because it was blocked by a password we did not know. They are looking at the main box now and resetting the whole system. Apparently my phone has NO PERMISSION
My body usually returns that error to my brain when I try to do something I could do 30 years ago
:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Baking bread, accepting the other two grandchildren for a few days, (Carla and Ant have a wedding to attend) and trying to sort my router out with TalkTalk chat. I'll get the bread going first, that takes care of itself for a while. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

NO PERMISSION

I like it. My body and brain regularly send that error message..... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 07:55 I'd be lost with it Sue....

Who says I am not, Stanley. It is all up and running now. I think even the technicians were thrown a bit
If you keep searching you will find it
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This is the little rascal I have in my front window. A bit superfluous actually as I rarely go anywhere, but if I did I could see what's going on from my phone. Handy to spy on the butterflies on the Buddleia which is in full flower. :smile: .

spycamera.JPG
Later that same day: Popped out for a quick snap
Butterflies.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tripps wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 12:19 This is the little rascal I have in my front window.
Bob set up our first system but we changed it to the same people we have for our alarm when we started spending longer time in France. They monitor it for us as well and let us know if anything is untoward . We can get it on our phone ( both phones now the blip has been sorted) we have several cameras in key rooms .its a much more comprehensive system than Bob setup and the images are recorded on a computer and stored for several weeks.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Sue wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 15:07 We can get it on our phone ( both phones now the blip has been sorted)
Anyone can watch mine if I supply the link. I tested it with my lad in London, and gave him a cheery wave. I can save the output in the cloud with a month's free trial - then about £4 per month. I use mine more as a toy than for security. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I am not sure I want anyone looking at what is in my house, thanks :laugh5:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 15:37
Sue wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 15:07 We can get it on our phone ( both phones now the blip has been sorted)
Anyone can watch mine if I supply the link. I tested it with my lad in London, and gave him a cheery wave. I can save the output in the cloud with a month's free trial - then about £4 per month. I use mine more as a toy than for security. :smile:
I have a 1TB hard drive in mine so only save locally. It is more secure to store the footage in the cloud as someone could just take the box. They'd need to find it first though...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I am not sure about ours but where it is is rather in accessible anyway even when you know where it is. Technical stuff is Bob’s domain . I may even be talking rubbish :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I take it that what you are talking about is the much vaunted 'internet of things'. I like technology but when it makes me feel uneasy I include myself out....
Not sure about today, late up, domestic things need doing and shopping calls. I shall take it as it comes....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Late up here too Stanley, just woken up. Well what a wet day yesterday, and more of the same today. Talking to others we seemed to have more rain than most yesterday. My friend in Stalybridge had hardly any, Julia had a sunny day in Coventry, Claire had a cool dry day in Edinborough and another friend had a lovely day in Cleethorpes. Thats Rochdale for you, 11 degrees wind and rain, my lovely garden is trashed :sad: , and I made a pair of shorts !

This morning I have a sewing session with Maxine, then its a late lunch at our local pub with Wendy and Keith, Barbara and Bill. That will see the afternoon out. Then perhaps a little packing .

Have a good day stay dry
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. I got wet going to the Co-op early doors at 07:00 but it had stopped when I came out. I did an hour in the shed....

The more work you put into an individual part the more precious it becomes! I'll be glad to see the back of this con-rod.
Susan and I are having a set-off tomorrow also.... With a bit of luck the Museum will have reopened at Skipton. We're going anyway and no packing needed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Winning two books signed by the author, I have them on my Kindle but it's nice to have them 'in the flesh'. I'll put them away somewhere safe.
20210730_171509.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not too sure yet. The main event is going to Skipton Museum on the bus with Susan this morning. I may save myself for that, I shall be on my feet and active for a few hours. :biggrin2: (Nobody forces me into the shed!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Another damp start, though yesterday was drier than expected. Its Bacup market this morning, but it will be reduced shopping as we only need to cater for Saturday to Monday evening as Tuesday morning we will be setting off for the ferry. This afternoon I have a pedicure but no other plans .

Yesterday was a lovely long lunch, in fact it was 4.30 pm when we all left the pub. How lovely to sit and chat to friends for such a long time. Afterwards I revarnished the table top in the conservatory having sanded it and done one coat the day before. It gets a lot of use as we eat out there every day from April to October and it gets a lot of hot direct sun as well as water spillages from numerous plants that sit on it throughout the year. Its a small square table bought from IKEA many many years ago and owes us nothing. It always comes up well with a refreshed coat of matt varnish . I don’t think it will need a third coat.

So thats it, I may do some art but there is no rush as the project is to see us over the summer. No whats app calls with grandchildren this weekend as they are visiting their other grandparents in the Lakes. They have not seen them since December 2019, such a long time.

Have a good day out Stanley, stay warm and dry everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a good day Sue and as you can see a day for sensible dressing. Mind you there were plenty of people about wearing far less but all I can say is I was comfortable and never broke into a sweat!.
Back to normal today I think. I shall be heading for the shed and a bit of light cooking later...
We had a nice lunch at the Castle Inn sitting outside. Plenty warm enough for that. I had liver and onions and it was very good.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Glad you had a good day Stanley. It remained damp and a bit drizzly here all day yesterday, but warm. I tidied the garden cutting back all the dead and drowned plants . It all looks empty and colour less but I am hopeful it will be in full bloom when ( if) we get back in three weeks time . I picked tomatoes, a few runner beans, red peppers and some courgettes. What we don’t eat before we go we shall take to Julia in Coventry on our way to the ferry.

I had my pedicure in the afternoon and when I got back I did some art which had to be a painting of the garden in the style of Monet . I repeated the one I did the other week that was in coloured dyes and ink and did it in acrylic. It was rather bright for a Monet being in acrylic as I did not have the muted colours he used and difficult to mix with the colour selection I had, but I was happy with it. I watched a few you tube videos to see what his style was which was to mix colours by dabbing on the paint.
B2123658-688A-413B-852C-D6710F811F09.jpeg
Dyes and inks
CE9C5B4E-08FA-4AB8-90A8-E68381357FBD.jpeg
Acrylic
Today is due to be drier than forecast but with most jobs now completed ready for our trip I will have to put my thinking cap on for the days activities. Bob is out at the park but I don’t think I need to go and water the plants :laugh5: . I may do some work on my embroidery course . Only two and a bit chapters to go and a big embroidery design to make and do . Sounds a good one to start and to take to France with me.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"a big embroidery design to make and do . Sounds a good one to start and to take to France with me."
As if you'll need anything to pass the time in France!

I've been on the shed for almost 2 hours doing everything very carefully and slowly. It took me an hour and a half to get here. Dropping a 7BA stud and losing it.... finding 7BA nuts... measuring at least 4 times and lots of small adjustments to get the studs fitted. Then high risk drilling for the .389" crank pin. That was a 'W' letter drill. It had to be backed off so it was negative rake to avoid having a grab. Having to go back to the beginning would be interesting but very frustrating. But we have a con rod ready for fitting! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

That sounds like a foreign language to me Stanley but I am sure Bob will understand.

We have just discussed washing down the garden table and chairs and putting them away whilst we are in france. We can easily get them out again , so thats one job to be done today plus keeping on top of the washing and ironing . We are having to plan for all contingencies in terms of length of stay. Meanwhile the media all give conflicting thoughts on what will happen about France. We can only wait and see.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good luck with France Sue.
I shall be in the shed fitting my con rod. I have another great grandchild on the way so this engine will go to give he/she a good start in life. Then a better day for walking I think..... might even get a sit watching the bookies! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Well it was quite a decent day yesterday and more of the same today. We shall have a walk into Rochdale to take the money from the train rides into the bank and do the normal 4 mile loop back home. I have recently discovered that the FOOTPATH app on my phone also covers France so we are looking forward to trying to find new walks there. The ferry is tomorrow night so we shall leave after breakfast tomorrow. I think we are packed, so much stuff to take back, but instead of lots of small bags we have opted for another large holdall bag. This will make it easier for customs to look at should they want to. We have been told by people who have recently gone to France, however, that customs are only interested in covid paperwork.

Yesterday I managed to get the garden table washed, dried and put away, i also swept the paths and washed the bird feeders. I am not leaving out bird food as it entices big birds into the garden. They in turn entice others. Our neighbour said there were a few really large birds in the garden when we were away last time and there is no doubt we are at least 1 if not 2 fish down. Luckily they spend most of their time lurking under the water lilies. Certainly we have done better keeping our fish this time than in previous years. We shall probably put a net over in the winter when the plants die back.

I have few plans for the afternoon, will take it as it comes . I want to put a picnic together for our lunch tomorrow and clean the fridge. Any fresh produce left over we will drop off at Julia’s on the way to the ferry. Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You sound very well organised Sue. You will probably slip in more easily than in normal times!
I have just come out of the shed after a most frustrating two and a half hours.... More in shed matters about the details. I shall post in shed matters now and have my breakfast.

I think you can get the idea from this pic. Everything has to be addressed and it's not easy. That's why I did overtime this morning. The full story in Shed Matters but the bottom line is I am getting old and this may end up by being a toy and not a runner....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Dental checkup this morning, all very organised at the Park Avenue surgery. Masks and hand sanitizing still a requirement which is good.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, I went two or three weeks ago. Didn't get my own dentist but I agree it was well organised. I have an appointment with the same guy for my next check up but I think I will ask to swap back to Eva. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”