Today I shall be Mainly...

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Big Kev »

Going back to the office after the Christmas break, oh joy...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never mind Kev, retirement gets nearer every day!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Quick visit to the Dr this morning re a minor op, Bob is at the dentist. Then its the morning on my book, french this afternoon and art this evening.
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

More Ancestry today, though I admit that most of it was boring and much needed filing, to clear my desk. The printer jammed several times too. Frustrating.
But I have a clearer track next time I devote time to it. “A clear edge” as Stanley would say. Have got rid of many scribbled notes. My handwriting is getting worse! I put it down to scribbling notes on my lap, as I had run out of available desk space.
Sometimes you just have to clear the decks...
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

You certainly do have to clear the decks Maz. I am trying to clear my mental decks by getting on with writing my book about my Widdup heritage. I started it years ago, dabbled in it occasionally but this week I have set myself a target of at least a chapter per month. I have started by trying to complete the five chapters already part written. I am on the fifth. Then the going will get like treacle as I start to wade through my notes, photographs, family trees, newspaper articles and other documentation.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I am almost organised with Ancestry now. One more pile of scribble to sort thru and designate to particular folders.
( I must get some more folders in the sales that are on just before the kiddies return to school. Hopefully, printer ink will be on sale too. :biggrin2: )
I can dust my desk now!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know what you mean about straight edges, they are very good for us. I am pursuing the same goal with the articles, two more written yesterday and another on the stocks today. I am getting there, a comfortable cushion so I can get in the shed and get on with Kahara's engine!
I forgot to read the chapter again Sue.... :surprised: I shall attempt to do better today.
Staying up to catch the postie to sign for the new phone. Bummer!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

No rush with the chapter Stanley. More writing this afternoon. Another chapter nearly finished.

No hospice shop today, for some reason, I believe lack of volunteers the shop is temporarily closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. The lack of volunteers is at another shop so they have shifted the paid staff around. I can’t do any other day, and Haslingden is a bit far to travel to volunteer at the other shop.

Its the monthly lunch with my sewing friends today, then pilates and yoga this evening. On the way home I shall pop into a sewing machine service shop. Another friends machine has stopped working, Bob has had a look and says it needs a new motor so I shall enquire as to how much that will cost plus a service.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've read the chapter Sue. looks OK apart from your spelling of 'publicly' you have publically twice.
Now I shall get back into my writing..... No rush, I have to stay up for the postman who needs a signature for the phone he is delivering.
Later at 10:00. I have written my article and sent it off. Now I shall have a snooze in the rocking chair.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 08:00 I've read the chapter Sue. looks OK apart from your spelling of 'publicly' you have publically twice.
Now I shall get back into my writing..... No rush, I have to stay up for the postman who needs a signature for the phone he is delivering.
Later at 10:00. I have written my article and sent it off. Now I shall have a snooze in the rocking chair.....
Thanks Stanley, spell check and grammar check missed that one!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Perhaps spell check did find a mis spelling and I blindly accepted the alternative spelling offered. Just found this article. Or perhaps I was one of those people who mis spelt it anyway. Glad you found it though. :smile:

....So, what about ‘public?’

Well, for those who always write ‘publically,’ this is widely regarded as a mistake. The original spelling is ‘publicly.’ However, since this spelling has become so common, various dictionaries have added it as a variant spelling. This means that you can actually get away with spelling it this way even though it is not the official spelling...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: Being a dinosaur Sue, just because a lot of people spell it that way won't alter my usage!
Today I shall be recovering from yesterday's alarums and excursions and perhaps playing with my new phone. Must get to know how to use it!
Family tea at Earby tonight with lots of the kids there.... Young Harry is over from Oz!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 03:35 :biggrin2: Being a dinosaur Sue, just because a lot of people spell it that way won't alter my usage!
Today I shall be recovering from yesterday's alarums and excursions and perhaps playing with my new phone. Must get to know how to use it!
Family tea at Earby tonight with lots of the kids there.... Young Harry is over from Oz!
And to be honest I don’t know how I spell it! Its not a word I use very often . I just type subconsciously. My typing is not good. I hit double keys, wrong keys etc and leave it to spell check to sort out, then read through. When I was mass producing student notes and work sheets it would have been too slow to keep stopping and checking. I also seem to have a type of word blindness on the computer screen and usually only see errors once printed on paper, and I scan read. Bob on the other hand reads slowly and is an excellent proof reader but his spelling is appalling. I finished another chapter yesterday, and started the last unfinished chapter previously written. I think thats 6 in total. Now it gets tough trying to organise my thoughts.

Bob reminded me at 11.00 pm last night that I have an all day art workshop with Jeremy Ford today. Its pilates this evening. Not much writing today then. On the way back from art I shall drop my friends sewing machine off for an estimate on a repair. There is a good little shop not a mile from me. My friend lives in the hills above Todmorden and there seems to be no repair shop for miles.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was once given a good tip about proof reading Sue. Do it in the usual way but then go back though it in reverse order, starting at the end and scanning to the front. It works.
Just bought 24 toilet rolls. Helen and I had a good laugh when I said I was down to my last 30. She told me she has exactly the same policy. Our mothers taught us well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My aim today now I have my stock pile of articles built to March 6th is to avoid playing with my phone and get in the shed. Time for normality I think! I shall report on whether I succeed.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thanks for the tip Stanley. Another chapter finished, busy assembling the Appendix at the moment with family trees and extracts of Johns books. I shall do a bit more on the book this morning unless we go for a walk.

Its creative writing this afternoon. I have written a short poem as I am sure no one wants to listen to a chapter about my ancestors. Its yoga this evening, my teacher having recovered from her broken elbow
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I would love to hear your poem, Sue.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sue, once you've posted your poem for Maz...
If you haven't heard this episode of The Life Scientific (Jim Al-Kalili) on Radio 4 I'm sure you'll enjoy it: LINK
`Patricia Wiltshire on how pollen can solve crimes.'
`Patricia Wiltshire grew up in a mining village in South Wales, left home when she was 17 and worked for many years, first as a medical technician and then as a business secretary (a profession her first husband considered to be more ladylike). When she was studying botany A level at evening classes, her teacher encouraged her to apply for university as a mature student. (She would never have considered it otherwise). And so began her career as a palynologist (studying pollen). She worked for many years reconstructing ancient environments on archaeological sites. But a phone call from a police detective led to a dramatic change of direction, when she was in her fifties. Since then, Pat has been involved in some of the most high-profile murder cases in Britain. The evidence she gave at the Old Bailey helped to convict Ian Huntley, the school caretaker who murdered two ten year old girls in Soham in Cambridgeshire in 2002. She provided evidence for the Milly Dowler murder case in 2003 and the murder of the Ipswich prostitutes in 2006. She tells Jim Al-Khalili about her life scientific and how by studying pollen spores taken from suspects and their possessions, she can establish who’s been where.'
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I listened to that Tiz, absolutely fascinating. I enjoyed 'In Our Time' on Catullus yesterday, love that programme.
I never got in the shed, various matters got in the way. The butcher's is back of holidays today so shopping and housework are going to prevail today. Must vacuum, Jack coughed last night!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thanks Tiz. I remember looking at pollen grains in both my degree and A level, but the significance of that only came to me many years later. I think it was when they found the man in the peat bog in Cheshire, I seem to recall pollen was one of the things they looked at then.

As for my poem, short non rhyming poem isn’t everyone's cup of tea, and this isn’t my best, being distracted by more pressing writing.

Natures Circle or Optimism in Mid Winter

Dark nights approached for yet another year
Summer drifted into the recesses of my mind.
Gone were warm sun-drenched days
Replaced by cool blue skies and grey drifting clouds.
Beautiful vibrant colours signalled the years end
as Nature reached its tranquil phase.
Life goes dormant and sits and waits .

Then , as if from nowhere , bursting from the ground
Young shoots, vibrant green , and bird songs abound
Early morning light and long days stretch out.
Spring arrives once more with summer not far behind.

Art today, a bit of writing this afternoon, followed by a meal with friends at 5.30 before U3A wine tasting at 7.30.
Last edited by Sue on 10 Jan 2020, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tried to do bold for title and ended up with everything in bold!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Me being very picky. Vibrant turns up twice. But who am I to criticize, way beyond my capabilities.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No worries, I wish I could write like that, I like it.
As I suspected this morning has been blown away by household matters. First there was cleaning Jessica's pan

I had soaked it overnight in strong caustic to get the burned fat off the base, it worked brilliantly but I had the question then of how to dispose of such a strong chemical. I decided dilution was the key and so I scrubbed the back yard with it and then swilled it off with lots of water. Then there was the vacuuming that had to be done and I had a yen to mop the kitchen vinyl floor but thought bugger it, enough honest endeavour for one morning!
Now I have just remembered I have to post today's BET article......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 08:53 Me being very picky. Vibrant turns up twice. But who am I to criticize, way beyond my capabilities.
Thank you no one picked that up in yesterdays meeting, I will try and find a suitable substitute😊, and thank you Stanley. I like poetry but am no good at rhyming stuff, I prefer the modern. I think it is more atmospheric. I shall search out another for you.

What about young shoots, brilliant green? Radiant green.
Last edited by Sue on 10 Jan 2020, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

This one sort of rhymes. I try!

The Mirror

Walking in the bathroom what do I see
a large set of mirrors in front of me
And over the mirrors we fitted lights
that fill up the wall and make the room bright.
They've been there for years were even replaced
When bath, tiles and toilet had a new face.
But in the morning these mirrors can see
Everything that is not right with me .
I can see my face, with wrinkles so clear
and extra grey lights that show in my hair,
standing on end, and bags under the eyes.
I wish my mirror was telling big lies.
After my shower what a view to behold
It's lucky for me when steam covers all.
Sometimes I wish for the mirrors demise
But what else can act as my daily spies.
How would I see if my makeup was right
my hair combed neatly, clothes are all straight
It seems my mirrors are best left alone
Preventing a faux pas as I leave home

I was driving home one day and saw my hands on the steering wheel and thought, my goodness when did mu Mums hands become mine.

My Hands

Its my hands you see.
I know they 're very useful to me.
I use them daily to wash and dress
Cooking , gardening and the rest
I carefully cleanse them every day
Exfoliating and creaming as I may
I tend my nails, I clip and trim
Buffing daily till they gleam.
But when I look at them I see
Ridges where they shouldn’t be
Knuckles and skin with extra lines
As my mums hands have become mine!
Last edited by Sue on 11 Jan 2020, 12:17, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”