Today I shall be Mainly...

Gloria

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Gloria »

Well done Col 👏👍
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Nice one Colin (and you Wendy). Onwards and upwards.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Well done Col and Wendy of course. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Remind me.... behind that fuzz is this the same man that was giving employment to the surgeons not long ago? If so he's a walking miracle. (And well done you as well....) Now then, about my walk to the bookies.....
Today I shall be back in the shed working on my lids. I'm beginning to wonder if I haven't picked the wrong piece of scrap and might consider a fresh start. This piece has been nothing but trouble so far.
The forecast is dry again so bookie watch is on the cards.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's notable, I have beaten Sue to the punch, that's because I was early and after yesterday I'm not pushing myself.

This tells the story, at last I have a front lid that fits. See shed matters for the full story.
Now for breakfast and then second sleep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 06:32 Kev

Julia, Ed and Briony went to see the James Bond film the other day. Julia did some revision before she went, ie watched previous films :laugh5: . She said it was good and B loved it. Eve missed out as she was having a sleep over with a friend from swimming
It was very enjoyable, there was a bit more of a 'human' story going on as well as the gadgets and car chases.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

‘Evening all ‘ as a certain bobby used to say . We arrived home at 2.30 this afternoon after a lovely smooth crossing and good drive back. Our day 2 test is waiting for us and we shall do that tomorrow evening. The ferry was the busiest we had seen, all oldies like us. We kept to ourselves, ate and went to the cabin to watch TV, read and sleep . Stunning bright red sunrise just as we approached the Isle of Wight.
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 06:59

Julia, Ed and Briony went to see the James Bond film the other day. Julia did some revision before she went, ie watched previous films :laugh5: . She said it was good and B loved it. Eve missed out as she was having a sleep over with a friend from swimming
It was very enjoyable, there was a bit more of a 'human' story going on as well as the gadgets and car chases.
We will probably get the DVD, we haven’t plucked up courage to go to the cinema yet. In fact a show that was cancelled last year is this Sunday and I think we will not go.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 16:15
Big Kev wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 06:59

We will probably get the DVD, we haven’t plucked up courage to go to the cinema yet. In fact a show that was cancelled last year is this Sunday and I think we will not go.
We went Monday afternoon and there was only about a dozen of us in there.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm glad you had an easy trip back Sue, I love sleeping on ships.....
I was offered a trip to see the Bond movie but declined. I doubt if I will ever trust an indoors venue again.
Today I shall be chasing my lids again after a successful day yesterday. Bookie watch look to be on, we are promised a dry day. (Mind you we were yesterday but lots of annoying mizzle.)
All seems to be well.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

It was a stunning morning in Portsmouth yesterday but the rest of the drive up was grey with occasional rain. At home it felt reasonably warm but the garden had suffered under the rain, as did our garden in France. The garden pond is at overflow level and crystal clear after its chemical treatment for blanket weed and filtration before we went away. At the moment I have done a head count of 6 fish when I went out to feed them. I am sure the other two will be there.

This morning is an art workshop at Haslingden church hall, this afternoon a walk to Rochdale to collect my new glasses and to bank money for the model engineers. We need to contact my brother Bob as well as there are numerous questions we have about Dave’s funeral that need sorting .

Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'd forgotten you have a funeral lurking in the background Sue. The sooner it's over the better. I have had a good 2 hours in the shed and will post later.....

Later....

This is where I stopped this morning. A bit of quiet fitting on Saturday and I shall have a back lid for my cylinder. It took two hours to get to this stage....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Unfortunately its during half term Stanley when the grand children are coming to stay. We are having to revise all those plans too.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Commiserations Sue, that just makes it worse. I was lucky when brother Leslie died last June, nobody told me until after he was buried. Saves a lot of trouble!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today is Early Doors shopping at the Co-op and my weekly set off with Susan for lunch so I shall give the shed a rest to save my knees for walking round Colne..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Lunch out for me today with a group of women I was at school with in Leeds , usually an annual reunion but we missed last year. We are eating at Buon Apps, beside the river in Otley, which looks very nice. The plan is to eat outside so it could be chilly!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

A clear cold sky this morning, but nice to wake up to the light rather than the dark of night time. I know its short lived before its dark here in the mornings too. I gather a sunny day is on the cards.

Art went well yesterday and we did our round trip walk into Rochdale in the afternoon. My new glasses do not slip off and feel very comfortable after the last new pair I had. We managed to get in touch with my brother in the evening and finalised a lot of the funeral arrangements. He is driving up from Cardiff tomorrow and staying overnight so we can sort the last things out. He is planning on visiting Cleckheaton on Monday to sort flowers, the wake etc. My mind is feeling a little easier, just the half term visit to sort out now.

Today is U3A art, followed by lunch with friends at the Shepherds Rest in Todmorden. Before art we have to do our day 2 test and fill in yet more yards or repeated documentation online. We need to get it in the post at the post office this morning on the way to Todmorden

Returning home this afternoon or tomorrow morning I will need to make up the spare bed for my brother . The room has not been used for two years except to store stuff to go to France. Its a good job we have been and the bed has now been rediscovered :laugh5:

Have a good day, enjoy Colne Stanley
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 06:13 Lunch out for me today with a group of women I was at school with in Leeds , usually an annual reunion but we missed last year. We are eating at Buon Apps, beside the river in Otley, which looks very nice. The plan is to eat outside so it could be chilly!
I hope to be having a girls reunion in November, meanwhile its still zoom meetings, the next being Monday evening.

Enjoy!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be lunching with Susan Wendy. And yes, we will enjoy ourselves Sue. We get on so well. She tells me that some of her friends think it's weird having a date with her dad. They don't know what they are missing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be taking it easy today. I had my flu jab yesterday afternoon and I have had reports of some more noticeable reactions to it than usual so no harm in being careful. What I am on with in the shed is close fiddly work so no strain there. It will be colder today on Bookie Watch and could easily be a Crombie Day. I need to do a bit of light cooking later but that's not a problem.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Flu jab this morning then drive over to Bacup market for the usual supplies. It is also our 6 month anniversary of our covid vaccination, we shall see if it is mentioned. Many of my friends in Rochdale have had their booster but we have a rubbish surgery so we shall see what happens.

My brother Bob arrives sometime this afternoon and is staying over until tomorrow. The spare bed is made up . I was shocked to find bedding still on it from my sisters last stay which was just before Christmas 2019, we were obviously expecting her to return early in 2020. The washing is all done and bedding changed so I don’t have that to think about now.

Eve is in a swimming gala all weekend at Birmingham , and it is going to be live streamed. I have the links so will set up my laptop so we can stop and watch at the appropriate moments, otherwise if it stays dry I want to start moving my flowering pots into the greenhouse and do a bit of outdoor pruning of fuchsias so they will continue to flower a bit longer .

Thats it, u3a wine appreciation this evening. Its my sisters guest slot as wine expert and my brother will join the zoom. Quite a family event. Have a good day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, my booster had no connection with the surgery, it was a direct approach from the NHS and I made the appointment on their website. Best if you have your NHS numbers handy. So having a rubbish surgery should not have anything to do with it.
I have had an hour and a half in the shed. Finished fitting the back lid....

Made a new piston and got ready for fitting the steam chest, lid and valve tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thats good news about the booster our names should come up imminently
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mine was dead on the six month anniversary Sue.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 10:01 Mine was dead on the six month anniversary Sue.
We were 15th April

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”