Today I shall be Mainly...

plaques
Donor

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 20:24 You make me feel like an uncaring grandmother. The conversations have been had, we are intelligent people.
I hope that's not the case. Any parent or grandparent should be justly proud of their commitments and achievements. The first question I ask when told that 'XYZ' do so much training is 'do they enjoy it'. Unfortunately in today's world of sport the top people are what I call freaks of nature in the nicest sense. The rest of us can only compete to the best of our ability and hopefully enjoy the experience even when things don't go to plan. Sue, you carry on being proud its the right thing to do.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes they do enjoy it. Julia loved it still does, so does her daughter. Our other daughter did not, and gave up. Julias other daughter does not either and does not do it. Some parents are pushy, others , well are parents and do the best for their children .
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I must be a wimp! If anyone tried to get me to swim in open water on Boxing Day I'd scream blue murder. Horses for courses!
I shall be in the shed finishing my crank brass and starting the con rod. Then a sleep and definitely a walk and a sit because we are promised a fine sunny day.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 21:03
Big Kev wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 21:00 Granddaughter is up at 04:15 tomorrow for swimming practice before school. Today she was showing me the medals she won at a competition in Scarborough last week. She's the same age as your Eve, Sue.
Same training too . Three mornings a week and most evenings, just like her Mum did. In fact Julia still does, she swims Master class and does 5.00 am training two or three times a week . I admire their tenacity . I wonder if the two of them have competed together, but they may be in different areas, though there are National competitions of course
They live in Harrogate. They do travel around a little bit for competitions, I'm aware of Doncaster recently as well as Scarborough; they didn't do The Great North Swim this year because of the Scarborough competition.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 02:25 I must be a wimp! If anyone tried to get me to swim in open water on Boxing Day I'd scream blue murder. Horses for courses!
I shall be in the shed finishing my crank brass and starting the con rod. Then a sleep and definitely a walk and a sit because we are promised a fine sunny day.
Morning

We went and watched Julia and Ed swim but we drank hot chocolate with Eve and Briony . The atmosphere was great fun, and all that money raised for charity! As someone who didn’t have the opportunity to learn to swim till she was 33 years old when I see these people enjoying themselves so much I realise what I have missed out on. Again people only did it because they wanted to. By the sea people often go for a swim on Boxing Day, but when you live slap in the middle of the country that is not an option . There were certainly few hundred people and they were so busy chatting and catching up with friends, no one complained of the cold, or probably noticed it and of course they all had wet suits on, some with layers of clothes underneath

I ended up doing lots of little jobs yesterday that do not normally get done. Nothing too strenuous with lots of sitting in between. I potted up the last of my geranium cuttings the other day, so yesterday I put them out in the garden. There isn’t much left in the greenhouse now and it should be empty by the time we go to France for the summer. This morning I have pilates and this afternoon we are planning on walking to the bank and doing a long circuit back home. This will be my first long walk since April and I am pleased to report that at last my cough has gone, having not coughed for three days. (My voice still fades a bit in the afternoon but it is slowly recovering) . Thus I am hoping we get there and back without a coughing fit.

This evening I have a zoom chat with my university friends Jean and Sue. We used to chat once a month but since March we have all been on various holidays so have been unable to . So thats my day, hope you all have a good one
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 06:33
Sue wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 21:03
Big Kev wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 21:00 Granddaughter is up at 04:15 tomorrow for swimming practice before school. Today she was showing me the medals she won at a competition in Scarborough last week. She's the same age as your Eve, Sue.
Same training too . Three mornings a week and most evenings, just like her Mum did. In fact Julia still does, she swims Master class and does 5.00 am training two or three times a week . I admire their tenacity . I wonder if the two of them have competed together, but they may be in different areas, though there are National competitions of course
They live in Harrogate. They do travel around a little bit for competitions, I'm aware of Doncaster recently as well as Scarborough; they didn't do The Great North Swim this year because of the Scarborough competition.
I think they went to Doncaster, but that may be the one where the club forgot to put their application forms in. I will keep a look out for her name on any programmes I see. What is she called
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to hear your cough has retreated. Those post Covid coughs, whether confirmed by LFT or not, have been persistent buggers.

I've had a good hour and a half in the shed and we have progress. The bearing brass is finished including the threaded plug for the lubricator. All the tools put away and I have done my fag packet drawing for the con rod.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 06:42 I think they went to Doncaster, but that may be the one where the club forgot to put their application forms in. I will keep a look out for her name on any programmes I see. What is she called
I've sent you a private message. She was only one second off qualifying to swim for Yorkshire so could potentially do so at the next attempt.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 08:00
Sue wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 06:42 I think they went to Doncaster, but that may be the one where the club forgot to put their application forms in. I will keep a look out for her name on any programmes I see. What is she called
I've sent you a private message. She was only one second off qualifying to swim for Yorkshire so could potentially do so at the next attempt.
Looks like she is about where Eve is , probably better. I have a feeling Eve was hoping to get on the Warwickshire team when she caught Covid and could not swim but I may be mistaken. I get lost in the new set up, its very different from when Julia used to swim. She was the captain for Lancashire when she was 16
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 08:00
Apparently Eve was in the Warwickshire county championships, which she had to qualify for, but it was an internal meet, not between counties . Presumably they use that for County team selection.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed working on the con rod for the latest engine. Then a sleep and then definitely a walk and a bit of bookie watching as the forecast for today looks good.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

We did our walk into town yesterday and my body knew about it, even more so today with aching legs. We did however have a rest before walking back calling at The Medicine Tap, ie the old post office opposite the town hall. There we we enjoyed a beer sat under a brolly, observing the town hall renovations. Nothing much was done on our return, though later I did water the garden with the hosepipe and as usual managed to soak me too.

This morning is online yoga, the nice relaxing one, and studio pilates and yoga at tea time, not so relaxing. We have nothing else planned so will take it as it comes. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It looks as though we are in for another good day Sue..... Sitting watching work while drinking a beer sounds about right....

Once more, one pic will do. I started making the con rod but wasn't satisfied with my HSS cutter to I found a new piece of tool steel and made a new one. Not the easiest task when you can't see properly but quietly away I got it done and you can see how far I got by closing time. Slow but steady and above all accurate!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Had a look around the small patch that is my front yard this evening (don't go out there much) and noticed the roses are enjoying the sunshine.
20220621_190026.jpg
20220621_190100.jpg
20220621_190142.jpg
20220621_190221.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice summery pics Kev. Better than digging the yard up!
I shall be in the shed chasing my con road. I get less done each day it seems but that doesn't bother me. As long as what I am making fits and is progress without mistakes! Another good day is forecast so an extended sit opposite the bookies I think.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 18:12 Had a look around the small patch that is my front yard this evening (don't go out there much) and noticed the roses are enjoying the sunshine.
20220621_190026.jpg
20220621_190100.jpg
20220621_190142.jpg
20220621_190221.jpg
Morning
These are lovely. I think the summery weather is suiting the roses, we have been having a nice continuous display . Normally after I dead head, thats but this year more are coming in to take their place.

We have friends ( our best man John and his wife Sue) visiting us this morning and then we are all out to lunch. I think we will have coffee in the garden this morning. How civilised 😊I have sewing with Maxine this afternoon and pilates tonight .

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like a quiet day Sue and that's all that's needed when it's warm. Another warm day tomorrow as well from the look of it!

A good hour and a half in the shed. This pic tells the story of how I got from a slug of steel to a con rod. It needs finishing of course and then fitting but this is another small step forwards and free from error....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In the shed working on the con-rod, then a sleep and after that a walk and sit in the sun.... it is going to be a hot day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Lovely day yesterday, nice lunch and a productive sewing session. I abandoned pilates, it was far too hot in the lounge and because of my packed garden tbere is no space to do it outside. So sadly :laugh5: we went and sat in the garden with a glass of wine till the Sewing Bee at 9.00 pm

This morning is art, my last session for the summer. There is one next week but I am away on an art week in Kendal. This afternoon I need to get my head round doing a demonstration of painting skies and clouds at the u3a art tomorrow. I think it is due to rain this afternoon.

Bob has a cough and sore throat. He tested negative for covid yesterday and is doing it again now. However he is a bad hay fever sufferer at this time of year and we have been sleeping with two windows opened

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope Bob gets rid of his cough! I like the way you describe having to drink wine while sat in the garden as sad. It will be even more sad today! (I'm assuming that like us you are in for an even warmer day.)

Three pics Illustrate what I have been up to this morning, fitting the con-rod to the bearing brass. Quiet careful work and I am ready now to finish cutting on the small end that fits into the crosshead.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

And more today at lunchtime. The conservatory is far too warm to sit in. We rarely use the lounge during the day as it does not overlook the garden, but it will be cool in there till 3.00 pm
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had my walk and a sit and it's hot in that sun! Lovely. I cracked and had a small bag of chips with salt and vinegar, wonderful how much better they taste outside......
Then some veggie shopping at Gulam's and a bit of cooking when I got back to extend the veggies to cover tomorrow and the day after. I have stopped doing useful things now, a face wash and a bit of a rest are indicated..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall have an hour in the shed then early doors shopping at the Co-op. My walk depends on when the forecast thunder showers come in. The gardens will welcome some rain!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I accidentally did my daily update in coronovirus thread. Perhaps someone can move it

Here you go - Kev

Morning

Yes masks are compulsory in any health setting, I think. I always carry one with me but don’t often wear it. It depends on the situation. I rarely go in a shop and when I do they are nearly always pretty empty. I don’t go in busy ones at all.

Bob is testing negative but still has a sore throat and a cough. Our friend Keith has a bad cold and is testing negative but they have cancelled lunch with us as Keith really does not feel well. This means Wendy may not get to Todmorden to take the u3a art as he drives her there, so its over to me until our other convenor gets back from the dentist. I hope it all sorts itself out one way or another as tomorrow Wendy and I go to the Lakes for an art week . Colds we can cope with but covid means its all off and thats £200 each lost on our shared accommodation with the third member of our party. She can’t afford to pay it all herself

As well as art and lunch I have some washing and ironing to do and packing to finish , not sure of the weather. It was supposed to rain during the night but didn't , however a wet week is forecast. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Up again and I've been to the chemist for my meds. I managed to get them all in one visit! That's progress!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”