Post by Sue »

How far is it to Guisburn Wendy, that sounds like a long walk
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Wendyf »

Sally measured it at 6.3 miles but that was from her house and I only walked from the co-op car park. I'd say 5.75 miles for me which was just enough on a warm day!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 07:06 Here in Barlick I have done my early doors shop and at the moment I'm cheating on my breakfast... I got two small paninii rolls so that I could have an easy breakfast of fried egg butties..... I promise tea will definitely be low carb!
Hopefully your reaction to bread won't be as severe as last time.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So do I Kev. It was stupid and I regret it. I have just done a batch of veggie cooking, Cabbage, Broccoli and Cauliflower. The meat is getting re-acquainted with the sauce in the slow cooker with three chopped onions for company. I should survive for a while. A chicken arrives tonight when Kathy delivers.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 13:13 A chicken arrives tonight when Kathy delivers.....
I was wondering if you ever make soup from the remains of your chicken Stanley? I usually bubble up the carcass etc to make stock then chuck in the veg and stuff. A quick whiz or leave it chunky. It usually makes me about 6 servings at least.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No Ian. The way I cook it and use it the only waste is the picked bones and believe me, you'd get very little out of them! The gravy from the cooking is the chicken soup..... That always gets de-fatted and used in my daily meals.
Today the only cooking is minimal and I can do it before I go in the shed. The forecast is dry and so there will be bookie watch but it will be well wrapped up because after the wind chill we will be down to single figure temperatures. Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

[quote=PanBiker post_id=201680 time=1655485626 user_id=77

I was wondering if you ever make soup from the remains of your chicken Stanley? I usually bubble up the carcass etc to make stock then chuck in the veg and stuff. A quick whiz or leave it chunky. It usually makes me about 6 servings at least.
[/quote]

Morning
I often do that Ian. Its amazing the flavour that comes out in the stock from hardly ant meat content. I then use that as a base for soup.

Yes , Wendy, I agree I think that was long enough in the recent heat. As I said its ages since we did a long walk, and it won’t be today as we are at Bacup market shopping this morning and after lunch we are going to Claires at Preston. I have a little ironing to do but not much and I have no other plans. I think a walk on Monday is on the cards as Bob will need to go to the bank with the takings from the train and I have had my rebate from my car tax.

We had a lovely afternoon yesterday but did not sit in the garden as , even on the tops above Todmorden , it was too hot to be outside. Between us we had put together a rather good lunch and a good variety of summer wines for lunchtime. There was also a large amount of soft drinks consumed as a) it was hot and b) people were driving . Todays forecast is somewhat cooler by about 10 degrees and rain forecast this afternoon.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I realised that I couldn't go any further with the crosshead until I have a con rod and before I can have that I need a crank bearing. so that's what this morning's picture is about, getting the bearing castings to size and then actually making the bearing. Nothing like the measurements in the drawing so some very careful measurement and cutting to get to this stage.
Now for breakfast and second sleep. Not a ground-shaking morning but a good start for the bearing!.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Today I just thought how nice the garden looks. I have always said it is a June garden, so before the flowers all go
7B203A57-B0C9-4550-B207-32E69D789B42.jpeg
f
DF439478-7835-4FDB-B3E4-4752AF0109B3.jpeg
. The view from my bedroom window this morning, here you are
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought the same Sue when I had my walk and realised how good the trees on the Green look. I reckon they are at their peak with new growth. Such a difference to Winter!.
I shall be in the shed working on my crank bearing. Today will be a warmer walk and sit than yesterday. Good job I had a heavy shirt on and a padded waistcoat! It was cold in that wind but we are promised better today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

18 forecast today, better than the 13 we had yesterday. We had a lovely afternoon at Claires but it was too cool to sit out. I spent a lot of time in the garden in the morning, dead heading and generally tidying . I also took the opportunity of a cooler day to water and feed all my potted plants and roses. Today is a bit of a free day. Bob is out all day, I would normally sew but have nothing on the go. I had invited a friend over for a walk and a cuppa but she can’t make it, so that leaves me at a loose end. I shall see what the day brings. I have zoom art with Briony ay 10.00am

I was very proud of Eve yesterday. She did her first open water swim competition, with her Mum and her Mums friend . Eves race was 750 m in the under 18 s category , she is only just 13. Everyone sets off together but staggered, including the older age groups that did much further .1900 m comes to mind but that seems a very long way, perhaps it wasn’t so far. Being the youngest she was the last i to enter the water, but was the first out. She won the under 18s age group. There was no distinction by gender so the next in her age group was male.
2381C663-CA21-40C8-8CFE-07F04E828EEE.jpeg
30A1FD21-1AA9-4577-B38C-CF126B3473BC.jpeg
From this results sheet it looks like Julia did 3.8 K. I think she was second in her age group
Have a good day all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Today is a bit of a free day"
Not what we usually expect to hear from Action Woman.... :biggrin2: But embrace it and enjoy it Sue. One of the great advantages of retirement is that we can declare any day a holiday if we want to!

Two pics tell the story of this morning. I have fitted the bolts and then mounted that rare visitor the brass finisher's chuck and put the housing on the top of the bearing for the lubricator. Then I drilled the housing and tapped it 3/16" X 40tpi and tomorrow I shall make the plug for that and bore the bearing for the crank pin.
Once again, quietly away and no mistakes. That makes it a very good morning in the shed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 06:45 I was very proud of Eve yesterday. She did her first open water swim competition, with her Mum and her Mums friend .
This open water swimming is one of my bête noire's, I can't get my head round why people want to leave the safety of clean germ free pool water and expose themselves to all sorts of pathogens that are waiting to bring you down with nasty illnesses. Open water is quite popular in Colne but I can't resist telling them they are wrong in their heads. I often get the reply that if they drink a can of coke after the swim it should kill off any of the bugs they may have ingested. Doesn't sound all that encouraging to me.

Sorry about that rant Sue but it needs thinking about.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I completely agree with you Ken but I wasn't brave enough to say so. I've always felt the same and am not even a fan of sea bathing. Have you ever encountered a swarm of jelly fish?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Yes I've been caught up in a swarm of Portuguese man–of–war when swimming off the coast of Florida a very painful experience.
Possibly worse than that was going through the motions off Brighton beach. That finished all my open water swimming for me.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 07:31
Sue wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 06:45 I was very proud of Eve yesterday. She did her first open water swim competition, with her Mum and her Mums friend .
This open water swimming is one of my bête noire's, I can't get my head round why people want to leave the safety of clean germ free pool water and expose themselves to all sorts of pathogens that are waiting to bring you down with nasty illnesses. Open water is quite popular in Colne but I can't resist telling them they are wrong in their heads. I often get the reply that if they drink a can of coke after the swim it should kill off any of the bugs they may have ingested. Doesn't sound all that encouraging to me.

Sorry about that rant Sue but it needs thinking about.
I think the same, but Julia is in a club, they know what they are doing. I have had to sit on my hands and trust them. What is really nice is that Mum and daughter enjoy the same things do them together and I loved the fact Eve was very happy to go along with a friend of Julias. The venues are carefully chosen and they all swim with safety floats. Its not like diving in to any old dirty lake....apparently. Eve goes for the hot chocolate, she doesn’t like coke, neither do I 😂
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I can still feel proud of her! Very infact.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Youngest offspring's wife, daughter and his in-laws are into wild swimming and paddle boarding. They've got him into it as well now, they all went paddle boarding this morning in the River Nidd.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 10:59 Youngest offspring's wife, daughter and his in-laws are into wild swimming and paddle boarding. They've got him into it as well now, they all went paddle boarding this morning in the River Nidd.
👍. I would rather have that than playing on computers all day.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 12:15
Big Kev wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 10:59 Youngest offspring's wife, daughter and his in-laws are into wild swimming and paddle boarding. They've got him into it as well now, they all went paddle boarding this morning in the River Nidd.
👍. I would rather have that than playing on computers all day.
Me too. It would need to be a lot warmer to get me in the water with them though, I would also resemble a beached walrus if I wore a wetsuit :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Oh yes, I like to know I can put my feet down ... :laugh5:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 12:39 Me too. It would need to be a lot warmer to get me in the water with them though, I would also resemble a beached walrus if I wore a wetsuit
. There's usually a limit on low temperatures round 10C with full wet suits and double head coverings. Limited to breaststroke only. ie: keep the head out of the water. But I have heard it said some have swum at 5C.

Most of the big events are really well organised with refreshments, recovery tents and Doctors on hand. Hypothermia is a problem for the younger swimmers.

I'm not against any of this, the risk is in the muck they swim in.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes, all that, full wet suit and float attached to the waist, though that might be an optional extra. This is the first year Eve was allowed to compete because of her age and she was not allowed to do the longer swims. I am STILL proud, she was 13 at the end of April and beat other swimmers, much older, even 18 year old males. Wouldn’t you be proud if it was your grandchild? Julia would NOT let her compete if she felt it was not safe. You make me feel like an uncaring grandmother. The conversations have been had, we are intelligent people.

The club do do a Boxing Day swim at 5 degrees. It is a charity swim and little more than a 100m dip but they raised 100s of pounds
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Granddaughter is up at 04:15 tomorrow for swimming practice before school. Today she was showing me the medals she won at a competition in Scarborough last week. She's the same age as your Eve, Sue.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 21:00 Granddaughter is up at 04:15 tomorrow for swimming practice before school. Today she was showing me the medals she won at a competition in Scarborough last week. She's the same age as your Eve, Sue.
Same training too . Three mornings a week and most evenings, just like her Mum did. In fact Julia still does, she swims Master class and does 5.00 am training two or three times a week . I admire their tenacity . I wonder if the two of them have competed together, but they may be in different areas, though there are National competitions of course

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”