Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 18:20
Sue wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 17:01 I shall name you as my chief machine scout 😊
:biggrin2:
Lots of Singer machines for sale in Burnley, says he wants £10 each for them...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2230761 ... 7900292287

Screenshot_20220121-182030_Facebook.jpg
Flipping ‘eck you are taking your job seriously Kev. :laugh5: .Where in Burnley .
If you keep searching you will find it
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Good day yesterday, though the promised sun and cloud never happened, it was much more of the cloud. One downer, my brother , Bob, in Cardiff has Covid. Its quite worrying as he is in the vulnerable class. He takes medication that knocks out his immune system . He has already had a fourth vaccination a couple of weeks because of it. He tells me that if his PCR is positive which it is almost bound to be he should be offered the antiviral medication intravenously.

We have now managed to sell both the therapy chair and the mobility scooter. The latter is being bought by a dealer and will be collected over the next fortnight. Wendy decided the chair was too big for their lounge so I managed to contact another dealer. They are few and far between. He gave us a pittance of an offer but told us what we could get privately. I think he expected me to negotiate but as Bob in Cardiff has put in an acceptable offer then we are going with that. We shall deliver it in our trailer when he is over covid.

This morning is Bacup market then I think I will spend some time stripping down the old sewing machine . Have a good day
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue.... I'm glad you are getting things sorted after the clearance, a weight off your mind. Your day sounds good, you're going to get quite expert with the sewing machines as you do more work on them.

I spent almost the whole of the first hour in the shed completely refitting the steam pipe on top of the steam chest. I had confused 4BA with 5BA when I fitted it originally so that had to be put right.
Next I addressed the flywheel which is a sloppy fit on the shaft. So I decided to bore it, bush it and then rebore the bush to the correct size for the shaft. I've got as far as boring the wheel for a half inch bush. The bore has been reamed and checked with a standard. Quite enjoyed that and I am raising standards!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 07:28
Big Kev wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 18:20
Sue wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 17:01 I shall name you as my chief machine scout 😊
:biggrin2:
Lots of Singer machines for sale in Burnley, says he wants £10 each for them...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2230761 ... 7900292287

Screenshot_20220121-182030_Facebook.jpg
Flipping ‘eck you are taking your job seriously Kev. :laugh5: .Where in Burnley .
I don't know to be honest, it just popped up on Facebook Marketplace :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Well its all in bits, cleaned, polished and ready to reassemble. Just got to get it working then.
E9D941E3-9084-460F-B302-15A9D0056A51.jpeg
DA81801B-065C-412F-B643-16BCFE1D9071.jpeg
3EA62C96-2C5F-4BCC-A071-38863EA4B414.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Very nice
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That looks good Sue. Those machines are so well made they need to be clean and going through one like that is almost assured of success. You can't keep good machinery down.
Speaking of which.... I shall be in the shed putting the finishing touches to my engine. Then Second sleep. Another overcast but dry day, bookie's watch could be on as I think we are milder and less wind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two Pics tell the story. First I made the bush as accurately as I could. I made it an interference fit and pressed it into place in the vice. It will never move again. Then I put the flywheel back in the lathe again and bored it to a close fit on the shaft which turned out to be 9.7mm. Once the boring was done I made the flywheel look pretty by skimming the rim, face and sides, and polished with emery. I have checked the fit but not fitted it yet. I shall have a good think tomorrow. Nice morning.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

It wasa busy day yesterday what with Bacup market and cleaning the machine which took several hours. I was also watching Eve swim online in a streamed gala which was good. I had the programme displayed on my phone and the swimming on my ipad whilst I was busy so I was able to keep track of her heats.unfortunately my ipad died at about 3.30pm and i missed her butterfly final .

Back to the machine, it was very oily. The dealer we bought it from had smothered it with oil which fortunately had helped us to loosen old tight screws but the wooden base was also covered in old oil and no amount of scrubbing with white spirit was going to lift it as it had soaked into the wood. I re oiled with linseed oil and also used the Lakeland wood oil for dark wood. I have buffed it up but needs more doing. The chrome I cleaned with Lakeland chrome cleaner which was much better than the stuff I used before , but I used Bobs hand held electric tool for buffering metal ...its name escapes me to buff it up. I had to be careful with the patterned metal that was all done manually as I did not want to damage any decals that remain. Today we shall re assemble and see if it works. It should do but if we can’t get the spindle winder working then there will be no bottom thread .

In 45 minutes or so Eve will be swimming 400 m freestyle, another streamed event as are the others that she is doing through out the day, so I shall be watching as I strip the bed, wash the bedding and tackle my engineering project. Have a good day everyone, it looks murky out there.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good luck with the try-out of the machine Sue. If it doesn't work it'll only be an adjustment. I knew you'd be posting at the same time as me. Barlick is going to be overcast and gloomy again. I hope you do better!.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I don't know to be honest, it just popped up on Facebook Marketplace ......

Kev the butcher on Bacup market is a bit of a wheeler dealer. He mentioned a stack of machines like this that have been discovered in the basement of an old mill in Accrington. What I am really on the look out for ( as is the butcher in Bacup, now my secong searcher, you being the chief one :laugh5: ) are the small very old sewing machines, mainly german made . They look like toys, some are toys but some are not. That is now my main search, that or a really cheap old hand crank singer that has all its decal design features intact. I shall be looking hard :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This hunt for secondhand machines is developing into a sub-culture.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 08:19 This hunt for secondhand machines is developing into a sub-culture.... :biggrin2:
:laugh5: :laugh5:

Just heard from my brother in Cardiff, his 4 vaccinations seem to be working, he says he is better than expected with his covid. He has had a phone call from the area health authority who are sending him the anti-viral tablets by taxi . Its a five day course, 4 a day I think he said. Two years ago he would have died, what progress we are making.!

He assures me his sense of humour remains unaffected...we had hope for improvement there, perhaps the tablets will help :laugh5: :laugh5:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Reassembled, managed, eventually to get the bobbin winder working, stitching is going to take a little longer :laugh5:
07F89B74-650B-4BA4-B6AF-7A24BD33E122.jpeg
46337BBF-B596-4BC6-AC64-6E00C6B8DF3D.MOV
7599D086-27FF-448C-A72E-86A0688A6C75.jpeg
1C37BA59-40F6-4662-9C13-081620B5967C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My mothers machine had a bobbin winder like that and occasionally had the same fault with the interlocking. A name has popped into my head.... Frister and Rossmann. That's been lurking at the back of my head for 70 years and you triggered it to come out... :biggrin2:
I was considering putting a jack gear and a pulley on my Stuart Number 9 engine but now think I shall just fix the flywheel, run it and put it on the kitchen table.... I think I'd better order another kit...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My mum had a Frister and Rossman machine.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two pictures tell the story. This morning I trimmed the crankshaft, fitted the flywheel using super glue. (It's a miniature engine for God's sake! It's not running 300 looms.) I've lined the bottom of the plinth with rubber to protect any furniture it sits on. The engine is a runner and it's finished. It turns over very smoothly and accurately, the only fault with it is that the cylinder isn't mounted perfectly square. I shall order another set of castings and make another, better one! Meanwhile I have rearranged the engines and the Number 9 sits on the kitchen table.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Frister and Rossman were one of many companies that took up the design of this machine. This being the original. I have found the you tube videos and the instruction manuals of these other machines very helpful in sorting out the sewing mechanics of this machine. There appear to be no manuals for this one. However all the others read the same so I doubt it will be much different . After a lot of research last night I now know, or think I know how to remedy the sewing issue. I have three tension screws on this machine all the others like it only have two. The third one is key to the problem as it can alter the tension of the thread take up discs . In modern machines this screw is on the top of a spring on top of the discs. It took ages to work it out as the two do not appear to be connected.

This morning I have pilates and yoga, after lunch we shall walk to the local Hermes parcel shop as I have an Amazon parcel to return and then complete the walk with a short circuit. Later I will try my sewing ideas on the machine. It should be my art club at the local community centre but I am giving it one more week before I go back. So thats my day. Have a good one.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Now you've mentioned it the problem with my mother's was always tension..... Good luck with it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I think Sue is turning into a Tackler. :smile:
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Sue has always been a tackler and problem solver, I was renowned for it at work. Getting there, it sews, top stitch is ok , lower tension
D139D452-3C58-43C7-8791-EC273E9CFF87.jpeg
7F1FCB70-2DD5-47BA-9E7D-A8350C2CBC63.jpeg
needs some tweaking on the shuttle. This may not be easy as it hasn’t sewn for years I am sure.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Clearing of Turner Bros asbestos factory. This has been a long time coming. It sounds promising

https://spoddenpark.com/about-us/
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And what a job they have on their hands, the site is so badly contaminated that nobody would touch it for years. The sums of cost versus benefit must add up better now. I know it well. John Ingoe based REW in one of the buildings for a long time.
I shall oil Mrs Harrison and find a piece of rusty steel in the scrap box that I can dig a crankshaft out of!
I'm still trying to find a man with a ladder.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

An early start this morning to take Col to Airedale for 7am, he is having a minor bladder op as a day patient.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That was fun, Col insisted on driving to Airedale in his car and it's foggy and freezing up here on the tops. I get to drive home in a car I'm not used to, along narrow winding lanes with no visibility, and I couldn't even find our own track entrance with someone's headlights glaring into my rear window....grrr.
I'm having a piece of toast and Marmite as a treat now. :smile:

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”