Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Left for the airport at 8.30 and despite rush hour we are already at our Gate. That was the smoothest exit from a cruise I have ever had. Today I am voiceless, and the air conditioning won’t help .
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lemon and honey Sue...... I hope it improves quickly.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shed for two hours, collect prescription from Pharmacy but no bookie watch as it will be raining. Looking forward to some better weather. Every year I remind the congregation that the old farmers used to reckon the second week in June as Grass Day round here. That may have become slightly earlier some years but not much. We have to endure this month. Not long now!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Back home. I never want to fly through Munich again .

We were challenged by border police as to when we entered the country. We said 10 minutes ago, just passing through with only 20 minutes left to catch the connection. They were not happy. They could not decipher Lisbons stamp when we entered Europe and seemed to think we had entered illegally. It took nearly 10 minutes to satisfy them. Before all of this we had had to run half a mile round the airport to make the connection, catch a train navigate endless corridors. Having not been well with laryngitis and tight chest ( not covid) I could barely talk or breathe when we got to the border police and I felt quite ill by this time, and unable to talk which the police did not seem to like. He just kept asking the same question over and over again and I struggled to answer. It was happening to Bob in the next booth at the same time. Eventually a supervisor was sent for. He rephrased the question and asked us when we entered Portugal rather than when had we arrived, which we had taken as meaning Germany. I just said the date straightaway and they must have decided it matched the blur of a stamp by Lisbon in our passport. I was getting more than a bit stressed.

Then some bossy flight check in person at the gate looked at our tickets and said we weren’t booked on the flight, when we were. Another 5 minutes to sort. We had to go and queue at another desk when a white label was stuck on our ticket and suddenly we were valid. There was no time for a loo break before we went on board and I was exhausted. We had issues with this 1 hour flight transfer from the start and queried it, but the travel agents said there was no problem......ha ha ....it was 20 minutes before we got off the plane at the other side of the airport

We found all the officials, rude, unhelpful and confrontational. Back in Manchester quite the opposite. A young man was there to help everyone go through the automatic passport control barriers , which was sadly missing at both Lisbon and Munich. We were surprised our cases arrived with us and they were actually on the conveyor belt within minutes of us arriving to collect them.

Glad to be home, but how to spoil a really good holiday.

My throat is still sore and it is still very difficult to swallow after nearly a week and I now appear to have a full blown cold, Bob has it too, starting about two days ago. I did a lateral flow test as soon as we got home and it was still negative, as have been the ones we had to do daily on the boat till Monday. The plane was full of people with a similar cough. We had been wearing masks nearly all day every day, except when in our cabin or eating and drinking, even outside . We were provided with hand gel and an unlimited supply of good quality masks, but we still caught this from somewhere.

I am taking it easy today, emptying cases and doing the washing. Plus dosing myself up with appropriate medication. At least I now have my ventolin spray which will ease the breathing problem. Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck with both Munich airport and catching the cold Sue. It must be nice to get home. Take it easy, the forecast says it is going to start to warm up next week. Dr Green will cure a lot of ills.

This was the successful end of this morning's work. We have a finished crank pin and a 7/16" button installed in the gap with instant glue to take the pressure off the live centre during the next lot of turning to get the rest of the shaft to size..
A nice morning......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a visitor this morning. It was Lilly who brought her minion, Muthomi, and he helped me to inspect my divan base, turn my mattress and change the duvet covers. A bit of help is worth a lot of pity.

I have had my walk, been to the pharmacy and done some veggie shopping. Now I am washing my duvet covers. I deserve a rest!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In the shed unpacking castings, setting up the crankshaft for turning in the 3 jaw and then I shall exercise my democratic right at Rainhall Centre before breakfast and second sleep. The day looks dry so I think a walk and bookie watch will be on the cards.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm taking a train trip to Exeter to visit my brother and family for a long weekend leaving Col to cope alone, which I'm sure he will. Only cats, hens and the polytunnel veggies to look after now!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 05 May 2022, 05:47 I'm taking a train trip to Exeter to visit my brother and family for a long weekend leaving Col to cope alone, which I'm sure he will. Only cats, hens and the polytunnel veggies to look after now!
I can't remember the last time I went on a train, have a good weekend :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks Kev, I made the same journey over 3 years ago and didn't enjoy it at all as I spent the 4.5 hours between Leeds and Exeter travelling backwards and crammed in to a packed train. This time I booked in the ticket office at Skipton Station and the helpful man on the desk made sure I got a forward facing seat with a table for the trip down and the same coming back, I'm also avoiding the first off peak train so it might be quieter.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Enjoy your trip Wendy. Today I shall be nursing my cold which is certainly the worse one I have had since I retired in 2005. I still have a sore throat, it being about a week since it started. I am incredibly bunged up and nothing seems to relieve it. I even slept on 4 pilows last hight to try and beathe but it did not help much.This morning it feels thick and I am incredibly tired from a bad nights sleep even with night time cold medication. I have a chesty cough and still my lateral flow test is negative. I am surrounded in a haze of olbas oil which I can hardly smell and what I can smell makes me feel sick, though I think that is also the effect of a days decongestants . My eyes are streaming and when I move I swear I slosh as I have drunk so much water which adds to the nausea. Sadly Bob is only a day or two behind me on this one.

Despite the cold, I kept busy yesterday doing all the washing and ironing and putting the first sleeve of my jacket...slowly, very slowly. Today I will try and do the other then its finished apart from the hand sewing.

I have no idea on the weather forecast, but if I am honest I don’ t care as I shall not be leaving the house. I now know why Mary stayed in bed all week on the cruise

Have a good day all
Last edited by Sue on 05 May 2022, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 05 May 2022, 06:16 Thanks Kev, I made the same journey over 3 years ago and didn't enjoy it at all as I spent the 4.5 hours between Leeds and Exeter travelling backwards and crammed in to a packed train. This time I booked in the ticket office at Skipton Station and the helpful man on the desk made sure I got a forward facing seat with a table for the trip down and the same coming back, I'm also avoiding the first off peak train so it might be quieter.
Hopefully it'll be better this time. Paulette looked at taking the train down to Ebbsfleet (Kent) in August and couldn't believe the cost of the tickets. The journey worked out at over £90 each way, the last time she did the same journey it was less than £40 each way plus a £10 upgrade to a first class seat. She's now waiting to see if the Trainline app offers discounted tickets nearer the time.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 05 May 2022, 06:37 Morning

Enjoy your trip Wendy. Today I shall be nursing my cold which is certainly the worse one I have had since I retired in 2005. I still have a sore throat, it being about a week since it started. I am incredibly bunged up and nothing seems to relieve it. I even slept on 4 pilows last hight to try and beathe but it did not help much.This morning it feels thick and I am incredibly tired from a bad nights sleep even with night time cold medication. I have a chesty cough and still my lateral flow test is negative. I am surrounded in a haze of olbas oil which I can hardly smell and what I can smell makes me feel sick, though I think that is also the effect of a days decongestants . My eyes are streaming and when I move I swear I slosh as I have drunk so much water which adds to the nausea. Sadly Bob is only a day or two behind me on this one.

Despite the cold, I kept busy yesterday doing all the washing and ironing and putting the first sleeve of my jacket...slowly, very slowly. Today I will try and do the other then its finished apart from the hand sewing.

I have no idea on the weather forecast, but if I am honest I don’ t care as I shall not be leaving the house. I now know why Mary stayed in bed all week on the cruise

Have a good day all
Your cold sounds worse than my bout of Covid. Hope you start feeling better soon.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

My ticket was £118 return plus £30 to renew my Senior Railcard.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 05 May 2022, 06:48 My ticket was £118 return plus £30 to renew my Senior Railcard.
She did look at the railcard but would probably only use it once. It's still, currently, cheaper for me to take her in the car.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Kev
It feels like it. I shall do another lateral flow test today, thought it is a long time for such severe covid symptoms. I used to get colds like this at the end of term time when I taught
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Wendyf wrote: 05 May 2022, 06:16 Thanks Kev, I made the same journey over 3 years ago and didn't enjoy it at all as I spent the 4.5 hours between Leeds and Exeter travelling backwards and crammed in to a packed train. This time I booked in the ticket office at Skipton Station and the helpful man on the desk made sure I got a forward facing seat with a table for the trip down and the same coming back, I'm also avoiding the first off peak train so it might be quieter.
I wouldn’t have been able to travel that far backwards, I can only travel forwards, so it would have been fun. 😭😱
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Isn't it funny how people vary. I have no problem with being seated backwards. I always remember that in a collision it's safer to be sat with your back pointing in the3 direction of travel.

I've made progress on the shaft, unpacked my6 castings and voted. See shed matters for the details.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 05 May 2022, 08:00 I always remember that in a collision it's safer to be sat with your back pointing in the3 direction of travel.
Depends who's sat opposite you in the forward facing seat :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

My LFT is still negative.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got the impression when I tested positive that there is very little difference between Covid and a bad flu-like cold now.
Today I shall have an hour on my crankshaft and then do my weekly early doors shop at the Co-op at 7AM. I still like to avoid confined spaces and crowds. I shall have to get my walk and bookie watch in early as we have a forecast of rain at midday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I had a dreadful day and a worse night. I slept on a chair in the lounge last night as I cannot now lie down without choking and unable to breathe. On a positive the sore throat has gone. Having tried endless cold remedies, asthma remedies and painkillers for days I have been on line this morning and got a telephone consultation with the GP for 8.40 am .

I didn’t do much yesterday, although I did manage to finish my jacket which was just a bit of hand sewing. On the strength of a 10 day weather forecast I have started putting the plants outside that are in the conservatory.
90C0A35D-32F2-435D-8F02-BA9AA0964BA9.jpeg
65CE55CA-3F25-43B4-AAD7-5D717DEA1731.jpeg
F008D922-88AE-4CA7-BE61-1FB1E97BA8CF.jpeg
Todays plans are minimal. Bob wants to go to Majestic wine in Clitheroe as we need a Greek wine for Saturdays wine appreciation group. I will probably go for the drive put but stay in the car .

Have a good day all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

My train trip was long and tedious, the train was delayed into Leeds by 35 minutes so there was a long time to wait around on the station. I was very relieved when my brother called to suggest meeting me a stop earlier at Tiverton rather than Exeter.
Its a lovely sunny start to the day here, not far from Ottery St Mary. Today is my great nephew's 3rd birthday and as he spends Fridays with his grandparents we are having a trip to Dartmouth, with a ride on a steam train and a river trip! Later we are invited to eat at my niece's lovely house at Newton Poppleford which I haven't seen before.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, that sounds awful! I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble. I hope you get some quick relief, you need to be able to get a good night's sleep to have the best chance of fighting the infection, whatever it is. (It sounds much more severe than a simple winter cold.....
Wendy, commiserations for you also! It's a long trip to Exeter, i did it by rail when I was advising on Coldharbour Mill and the ticket was paid for.That was a pleasure, your experience sounds terrible. I hope today makes up for it and the return journey is better.
I'm pleased to be able to say this morning is a good morning. My back is mending slowly and I have no pain. My hour in the shed was trouble free, I got one leg of the shaft close to size, the lathe cleaned and I have done my shopping. Now I'm having breakfast and looking forward to second sleep.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I have antibiotics, sinusitis, throat and chest infection. I am suffering from lack of sleep today.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”