Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

I see from Wendy's post that her rain shower was after 20:00. I would be in bed asleep then and that explains why there was evidence of rain early next morning but the strong wind had dried it up.
I shall be in the shed again, I'm beginning to think I ought to be fixing my castings on the base now before I install the cylinder. Not sure about bookie watch as we are promised heavy rain until this afternoon, perhaps a late walk after dinnertime.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its been chucking it down with rain for hours pounding on the roof light in the bedroom I am sleeping in. Yesterday was cool and damp. Its a good job I shall be in the art studio all day. We had a lovely meal out at lunch time at a local Italian restaurant yesterday and spent most of the rest of the day doing a bit of shopping, chatting, and doing crosswords.

We have to be at the studio at 10.00 am. Wendy hopes to arrive mid morning, brought by her daughter. Keith is feeling a bit better and had to be firmly persuaded yesterday that he was not going to drive her up . Hopefully by the end of the antibiotics he will be back to normal. Its my turn to cook this evening, salmon broccoli and new potatoes, followed by lemon tart and strawberries

Thats it really, art and rain all day :laugh5: . Have a good day
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, no heavy rain here yet but there's plenty of time yet! I'm glad you're inside and not having your week spoiled by the weather.

I started the morning by mounting the base and bed castings on the plinth. Then I moved into fitting the con rod motion and finishing the cross-head. As you can see I was still engaged in that at closing time. I'm going to have to do more milling on the cross head and there is no way I am doing that in a rush. Slow careful work and lots of issues to adjust and deal with but all is going well so it's been a good morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have a problem with my engine and the Design Committee was busy on it last night. They have given me a solution which I will apply this morning. Bookie watch looks to be on as the forecast is for dry weather until later.
Apart from all that useful activity, I shall be looking after myself!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Well it turned out better than expected yesterday. After rain all morning we had a sunny afternoon but a cold wind. We even managed our packed lunches sat in the garden. Today is forecast sun this morning and rain this afternoon, a hint warmer that has got to be better than13 feeling like 11. It was a tiring day but I think I know what I am doing now over the next three days. I have been attempting to paint some of my garden flowers in acrylic paints and hope to repeat the process on linen / cotton fabric so I can make some cushion covers for the lounge with the result . It has been lovely to be reunited with the art people I have met at these workshops over the years.

So thats my day, more of the same. Bob tells me has finished wiring the garage with the fast charger for the car and has already demonstrated to himself that it works so thats good. I am off for a shower now and a cup of tea. Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There's you enjoying yourself and Bob slaving away back at home.... :biggrin2: He'll be pleased with himself....

This was a powered run at high speed to check the con rod was clearing the cross head.
The first problem this morning was that the crosshead needed internal modifications as the con rod was fouling the inside of the casting. That's why it's under the mill. Once that was cured I packed the piston and the two stuffing boxes on the glands for the piston and valve rods. Then I put the gasket Between the front lid and the cylinder and fitted the cylinder in place. I turned the engine over and the piston rod needs shortening. That's the first job tomorrow! I deserve breakfast.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Making our way back to Barlick. Coming back via Arncliffe, we will drop in and see Sally's auntie Brenda and uncle Tom. Not seen them for a while and we will be more or less passing. More or less all packed up, Sally has nipped down into Hawes she saw some cloth in one of the shops that she is interested in. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The design committee has been working all night and has yet to come up with an easy way to measure for shortening the piston rod. I have no doubt I will think of something.... :biggrin2:
Bookie watch depends on when the forecast rain starts. We'll see later this morning.
Ian and Sally, I'm glad you've had a good break, the weather can be so unpredictable at this time of the year.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Well its rained on and off most of the night, and indeed most of yesterday from midday. We are forecast rain all day. It's a good job I am busy. Having done all my provisional ‘design’ work and trials for painting on fabric, today I will start the piece for my cushion cover.

I did a bit of clothes shopping in M&S, its a bit too near to resist. We are up a little cul de sac equidistant from Booths and M&S, taking no more than 5 minutes to walk to each of them. I wanted some more shorts for our summer stay in France. I was shocked at tge prices. I used to think making my own clothes was an expensive hobby, but it seems the price of shop bought has caught up.

Thats about it for today. The three of us are all beginning to feel very tired after two days of concentrated effort. This evening we will be having a relaxing ‘party’ buffet at the studio for tea so at least none of us have to cook. We take it in turns to cook the evening meal. Have a good day all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well Sue, If they are working you that hard you'll feel as though you have got your money's worth! Yes, prices are really starting to react to the crisis and it's going to get worse!

It's been a good morning after a bit of a set-back when I had to resort to Voltarol Emugel to calm down the pain in my shoulder. I always have pain but for some reason this morning it was much worse. Eventually I got in there and the pics tell the story, very careful measuring and recheck several times because My piston rod was about 3/4" too long! Don't ask me how that happened. I put the big three jaw on Mrs Harrison so I could chuck the rod without removing the piston and adjusted the length to what I believed was correct. It was, and the pic shows where I finished at closing time. I'm ready now to work on the valve motion and then install all the studs and build the engine.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday in the shed produced a good result and easier than I had thought it would be. It makes my way clear now, I shall be making a valve eccentric this morning. The forecast for midday is dull but dry so I shall probably do better with a walk and bookie watch today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I have been awake since 3.00 a.m with the rain pounding on the roof light, then at 4.30 a.m when it stopped it got light, then the sun came out. I think I am going to be tired today! Its still forecast 100% chance of rain but more light showers than heavy rain

Busy day again yesterday. I painted one piece of fabric and started the second. I doubt I will get the three done that I wanted to do. We had a lovely buffet tea, prepared by Sue and Tony, Sue being the organiser of the art week and Tony her husband. We didn’t get back to the apartment till 9.30 pm . So today we were told to come a little later to give time to restore the art studio to a studio rather than an eating venue. However I need to crack on this morning as when I have finished painting the fabric is very wet and needs to dry before I can pack it up.

Today is the last day. Bob is coming up tonight, and Keith in the morning . In the morning I shall pack then we are all off to lunch in Levens. After lunch we are visiting Wendy’s and my art friend Mike and his wife Janet who live in Levens. You remember they visited us in France on our last visit. Levens is also where Julias in laws live, but I don’t think we will have time to visit. Then Bob and I are off home. Wendy is leaving in the afternoon but Barbara is staying till the end of our let ie Saturday morning

Its Barbaras turn to cook tonight. We were going to have a ‘chippy’ tea but there are no near fish and chip shops and again the prices were very high. It would have been over £40 for the 4 of us for a basic haddock and chips, one portion of chips shared not 4 portions.
So have a good day all
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Forecast changed, sun most of the day 😊
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Your price for fish and chips illustrates the cost of not cooking! I noted a flier for a take-away pizza from Dominoes, a bargain at 2 medium for £26 (delivery charge may apply.... :biggrin2: )

The playground this morning was the components of the valve motion, two scabby castings and a piece of strip that had to be converted to the measurements needed. That process alone took me half an hour and illustrates one of my problems. I spent most of the time puzzling over why my measurements were so far wrong and then realised that I had mistaken 5/16" for 5/32". That's why I have to check and re-check. Then I found I had a queue of 3 cutters needing sharpening so I did them and at last got down to working on the eccentric. That's where I finished. Oh and one more thing, I was wrong about my shoulder being no problem. It was and I had to take an ibuprofen to calm it down. Bugger old age!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 07:01 Your price for fish and chips illustrates the cost of not cooking! I noted a flier for a take-away pizza from Dominoes, a bargain at 2 medium for £26 (delivery charge may apply.... :biggrin2: )
We usually do the no cooking option on our last night because a) we have run out of food and it would necessitate a big shop b) we have packed most things and want to pack the stuff in the kitchen for a quick get away to be home by 9.00 pm . As it happens we still have some veg and half a dessert left , we are not leaving until tomorrow and Barbara is here till Saturday so we do not need to consider that, we are still having fish which still cost £14 for fish for 4, and there is still the veg and the cooking to do.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just an unambitious hour in the shed working on my valve motion as I have early doors shopping at the Co-op at 07:00. First impressions from the forecast are that walk and sit a dinnertime is rained off! We'll see later. Mind you, yesterday looked dodgy but in fact was quite pleasant.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Agreed Stanley, yesterday was a lovely day after a week of heavy rain here, though I gather Rochdale didn’t get much in comparison. Today rain is forecast again. We shall be on our way home, via lunch in Levens.

I finished my three cushion fronts with painted flowers on them, photos to follow another day as they are packed up with my art stuff. It was a bit of a rush in the end. I was content with two, then at lunchtime Sue suggested I did a third. So I had hardly started it when we had lunch sat in the garden. In the process the fabric gets very wet, and the problem was drying it in time to pack up.

So thats it, one very busy few days. Bob arrived about 6.00pm and we spent the evening eating and chatting. I shall finish packing after breakfast then will have an hour or so to browse Kendal before our departure. Have a good day
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. browsing Kendal sounds good. Lots of good memories from the days when it was the gateway to Shap Fell and the North. What a good job all that traffic is on the M6 now....

Only an hour to play out in this morning as it was early doors shopping at 07:00 so all the time was spent on improving the rough casting of the eccentric strap. First by some old fashioned filing and then by using the milling machine. My final blow was to cut the recess where the flat bar link is attached to the strap. No rush and no mistakes. Quietly forward so it was a good morning.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been for me walk and sit opposite the bookies. It started raining as I set off but then stopped and started to improve. It's dry and sunny, bit like yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In the shed for a couple of hours and then catch as catch can with the weather. The forecast says it is raining heavily at the moment.... that wasn't true half an hour ago but it is now! I shall wait and see.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Unlike you Stanley, Bob and I got wet on our browse round Kendal and were back to the apartment by 11.00 am for a cup of coffee and a dry off. We got even wetter loading the car half an hour later. We had a lovely lunch and then a dry drive home but it was a pretty wet evening. Bob went out to his model engineers meeting in the evening and I did a few loads of washing, drying them in the drier. All done now.

This morning is Bacup market and then, as it is due to rain again today I shall do the ironing and probably sew. I have some cushion covers to make apart from a few other things. I certainly won’t be gardening, but it needs it. Now being past its June prime it is looking a bit dishevelled plus pounded down in places by the rain. I should get some time next week as the weather improves. At least everything has had a good watering.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not surprised to hear you got wet Sue, we were very lucky here in Barlick, very heavy black clouds about all afternoon. Still as you say, we needed rain. (But that's quite enough now I think! :biggrin2: )

The first job this morning was to reduce the stock to the size needed for the flat element of the valve motion. Then finish it, drill the holes at either end and countersink for the fastening of the bar to the strap. The last pic shows the eccentric connected to the valve rod and ready for the strap to be finished and fitted to the eccentric. Once again, small work carefully done and no mistakes. So it's another nice morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes we need the rain but enough is enough! It was raining as went to Bacup but cloudy and drier now. We have things to do so whats going on outside does not matter much 😊
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had my walk and sit. Rain on the back of my neck on the way home and sun blazing down now. Funny unpredictable weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed and then we'll see about later. We are going to have another day of broken weather tending towards wet and gloomy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”