Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 15 May 2021, 02:44 Carrying on pursuing the Stuart 10H in the shed plus normal activities but no shopping, C arl delivered the meat last night and we will survive for another week!
I think I should point out that the 'heavy and expensive equipment' was some tackle for boiler testing and safety checks at the Rochdale Model Engineering Society. So he was doing his public service bit also by doing the transport.
Yes, and Bob is delighted with it all
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 15 May 2021, 06:28 I could do with one of those magnifiers Kev, for when I am unpicking seams, a frequent event!
There were just two left, at Aldi in Barnoldswick, yesterday and it's showing as unavailable on their website so I was lucky to get one at that price. P has used it and is very pleased with it, a lot easier than a table lamp and a handheld glass. The only handheld glasses should be those that hold wine :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I will be making a quick dash to Lidl and Aldi in Colne to stock up with supplies then doing some gardening in the poly tunnel. Ive been very late getting going this year but friends have given me tomato, courgette, onion and pea plants so yesterday I made a start. It feels good, better late than never!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We did the Aldi thing yesterday afternoon. Today is finishing the trim around the kitchen floor, it's been on hold for a week. I need to get some primer/undercoat for the reveals around the French doors so a trip to Screwfix is on the cards.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just two 2.5mm holes half an inch long. Nowt to it. Can't think why it took so long.... :biggrin2: (Have a look in shed matters and find out.)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I treated myself to a trip inside the new M&S and NEXT when we were in Rochdale yesterday as it was quiet in the shops. I bought a pair of trousers in two sizes, thinking one would fit. One pair is too tight round the waist, the other pair just huge. They will have to go back. I will take them when I collect my new glasses. There were no T shirts that I liked in either shop
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 15 May 2021, 08:31 I treated myself to a trip inside the new M&S and NEXT when we were in Rochdale yesterday as it was quiet in the shops. I bought a pair of trousers in two sizes, thinking one would fit. One pair is too tight round the waist, the other pair just huge. They will have to go back. I will take them when I collect my new glasses. There were no T shirts that I liked in either shop
I've been quite lucky with M&S sizes, I do tend to use the outlet at Boundary Mill at Colne though. The choices are limited but I'm outside of what's considered 'normal' size ranges so usually find a bargain that fits.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I'm outside of what's considered 'normal' size ranges"
You can say that again. When he comes in the yard it goes dark in the kitchen.... :biggrin2:
I shall be quietly pursuing the 10H with a couple of hours in the shed. I'm convinced it is the shed that keeps me going... After that, whatever I fancy, life is one long holiday at my age!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Its a still damp morning after a lot of rain yesterday afternoon and evening, but I believe its due to be cloudy and sun most of the day. I hope so. Having remembered it really is Sunday today I Intend changing and washing the bedding. I prefer to dry the duvet cover outside, it gets in such a tangle in the dryer. Yesterday I did all the ironing as I did get my summer clothes out of the loft. That took some sorting. There was stuff for the hospice shop, stuff to return to France, and stuff for the bin, leaving a few essentials for here, t shirts and shirts mainly. I don’t get a lot of wear out of lightweight summer clothes here. I swapped my shoes too and realised that having spent most of my days inside or walking in the last few months then most of my winter everyday shoes had not been worn . Its been a strange year.

This morning I have my zoom chat with Briony. Today we are painting a jelly fish. Its quite hard thinking of simple things to do by instruction over zoom without B actually seeing what I am doing. I had hoped to tax the brains of my art friends on zoom art this week but of course I could not connect for some reason . All suggestions gratefully received. Not sure what other activity I will do today. If it stays dry we may walk. I may even plant out some more veggies. Yesterday I did buy support canes off the market for my tomatoes, as well as a couple of small plants. I really cannot resist his plants. Rows and rows of healthy looking plants brought in new for Saturday morning market. My garden is getting pretty packed now, but at least there are not many weeds. Its not a a Mr Titmarsh garden all nicely layed out , but a garden crammed with plants in every available space, more like a cottage garden. By buying something nearly every week it means most of the time I have a currently flowering plant. I even spread some bee bombs in the spaces on Friday. These are native wild flower seeds that are protected in clay until they germinate. We shall see what grows. The garden here has never had so much pottering in it.

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. "more like a cottage garden" and all the better for it, I hate the Chelsea flower show contrived gardens. You've reminded me that I ought to be washing bedding but I shall wait until we have a bit better weather. (It hasn't started crunching yet when I go to bed....)

A quiet productive hour and a half. We have a piston and most of a rod, I'll do the crosshead tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Getting wet...

It started out nice along Skipton Old Road to Kelbrook

By the time we got to New Hague there was a bit of weather blowing in over Noyna. A big clap of thunder and it started raining 5 minutes from home :biggrin2:
I reckon Wendy must have been in the middle of this up in the mountains.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I was just heading out for a walk when it started to hail so I retreated inside till it had finished. :smile:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Nothing here today. A rain shower about an hour ago.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I never heard any thunder but of course would have been in the front room immersed in TV. An hour in the shed as usual and then look after myself for the rest of the day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Yesterday was a rather normal Sunday at last. Tesco delivery, brunch, bedding changed, washed and dried outside and then Bob went to the park with the model engineering group. They took over £200 on train rides. He was gone several hours whilst I sewed and pottered in the garden. Roast beef meal at about 6.30 pm with a rhubarb crumble with the first of our rhubarb. A very normal day.

This morning I have pilates but will pass on yoga as we both have dental check ups at 12.20., the first ones since October 2019. Bob then has a meeting with the council about the lease for running the railway. I am undecided about what I shall do. I may do some art, its been a while and I have missed out on two projects because I haven’t been in the mood. Otherwise I may visit a friend and ex work colleague whose 83 rd birthday was on Saturday.

Have a good day everyone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was a nice cheerful report Sue and as you say, normal. That's what we need, more 'normal'!

I've had a good 90 minutes in the shed with slow accurate progress and no mistakes! So it has been my ideal morning. Breakfast now and second sleep..... Those monks knew what was good for them. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Had a tidy up in the cellar today, 2 rhino tubs full of timber offcuts, a bucket of sawdust and the old panel I removed from the cellar door. A trip to the recycling centre in Barlick and it looks a bit tidier now, can't believe how much junk gets accumulated in 18 months.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to admit I am fairly ruthless when assessing whether stuff is junk or not, particularly paperwork.
I shall be in the shed as usual taking small but careful steps with the 10H engine. Then my walks and perhaps a bit of household matters but I admit to being very slow to leap onto them!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

My goodness we had a belting hail and rain storm yesterday. We were sat having a coffee in the conservatory when down it came. It was so heavy we were deafened and I thought the glass would break. The overflow could not hold the water and the conservatory started to leak. Later I noticed the greenhouse was awash inside on the floor. It had flowed under the base and under all the various shelves and pots on the floor. I gather we are forecast for something similar today.

This morning I intend phoning the doctors about a lump on my hand and I want to visit my friend. I didn’t go yesterday as Bob had gone out in my car and was out all afternoon. Instead I made some more cropped trousers, I just need some summer now to wear them . I noticed my seeds are germinating in the airing cupboard so I will have to move them to the greenhouse, which is getting rather full as I awake decent weather to plant more things out. It looks like it will be another week or so of all this rain and low temperatures.

Have a good day, stat dry. The straight lines on the photo us the rain and hail coming down and bouncing back up
BAFF38C0-9D48-4EF7-BD77-72B776CA1F54.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We never had anything like that Sue. (Or at least, if we did I didn't notice it!) I hope you have a better day and best of luck with the lump on your hand.
I've had a nice hour in the shed, nice because I got a tricky little milling job done with no disasters!

All went well and I finished up with a nice accurate slot cut in the rod. Quite enough for one morning. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We had a short hail shower here in Foulridge yesterday lunchtime, it didn't last long though. A trip out to Burnley General this morning for a couple more tests, it's all go here :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good luck with the tests Kev....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 18 May 2021, 07:23 A trip out to Burnley General this morning for a couple more tests, it's all go here
Don't forget to take some money for your car parking although you can have 10 minutes for drop off and pick up at the main entrance via Briercliffe Rd for free. I did the trip a couple of weeks ago and came home rather than hang about for an undefined time. I had to collect from inside the hospital so the total travel time was 30 minutes.
Hope everything goes well for you.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

BGH is still a bit antiquated with car parking machines (cash only). Blackburn is much easier as you can pay by card.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Best of l of luck with the tests Kev.
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”