Today I shall be Mainly...

Sue
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Sue »

Morning

Thick mist again this morning, a sign of another nice day I think. Yesterday was beautiful. A very pleasant temperature. It took nearly all day, on and off to clear the raspberry patch and move the other fruit bushes from one patch to the other. There were a number of cups of tea stops, plus a beer and a very long chat with Yves as he popped round with some walnuts for us.

I now have a double tow of black and red currants and gooseberries at the top of the orchard and about 60 raspberry plants in be old veggie plot about 30 were already there) . Each rooted cane counting as one plant. The rest of the plants, about 30 I gave to our neighbour , Fabian, who was delighted. Yves declined the offer saying it was too hard work planting them. I have see his soil, I understand :laugh5: I too could not face planting any more under the hedgerow. I think we have enough. This morning I will level the patch , rake and seed it. I am sure it will soon revert to field naturally. You can’t now see the patch I did during lockdown where I cleared the compost heap and a pile of soil. That done I have completed all the tasks I set myself for this visit. I am thankful for those 15 hours of rain last weekend as it has saved me a lot of very very strenuous work.

This evening at 6.00 pm we are invited round to Laetitia for a coffee and a chat before she goes to work. We shall take them a bag of our apples and two jars of my two jams . She wants to show us some photos of her youngest lad (aged9) as he has been taking part in a festival of Nature in the local town, La Gacilly. Its on all weekend from yesterday but we won’t go as we don’t want to mix with so many people. It will be very busy indeed as it is a tourist centre.

I have no other plans, I think Bob wants to play trains soI will probably help clear the track of weeds and stones.

Have a good day
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This pic says it all about this morning's excursion into the shed. If you want the story have a look at Shed Matters, I have much sympathy with Bob having a day off to play trains. Will that be the steam locomotive?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

No its electric here Stanley . Its not easy to get the coal here and we don’t want to have to bring it over with us. We have decided to go for a walk this afternoon but there is always tomorrow for trains 😊
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall have a fresh start on my cylinder lids and do them the old fashioned way, bugger the blue swarf!
Bookie watch should be good, not a bad day forecast.
I have the duvet covers in the washer, this is a good sign that standards are being maintained!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just finished a storm of domestic activities. The washing on the drying rack has been dealt with. The duvet covers are almost ready to come out of the washer, the clean duvet covers are on and the bed made and I'm almost ready to go in the shed. Excelsior!!
Not a bad start to the day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Bed change day for me too. I want to have a clean through upstairs too. It won’t take long as we have only used the bedroom , bathroom and toilet but I shall vacuum right through and dust to make sure there are no lurking spiders and flies. Tomorrow it will be downstairs and pack. That will take longer. We don’t leave until after lunch Tuesday , so time to wash towels and put them on the airer and clean the two bathrooms.

I finished my gardening in a couple of hours in the morning yesterday and followed it up with a walk round the two lakes at Carentoir, about 3.5 miles. It was a lovely afternoon, autumn colours developing but for us very summer like temperatures. I also spend a bit of ti e weeding around our willow tunnel on the railway track. The description is a laugh, there is certainly no tunnel and very few willow whips have taken , so once again I took some cuttings, stuck them in the ground and watered well.

This afternoon will be a bit of light pruning of overhanging branches that make it difficult for Yves to mow the lawn. We want to pick some apples to take home but we are only allowed 2 kg each under Brexit rules. We are not sure if that is 2 kg total for fruit or just apples. Hopefully the former as we have sloes, quince and walnuts too. Many for Julia who likes to be creative making various types of flavoured gin and chutneys.

That will be my day, plus a bit of railway fun. Have a good one. Here are a coup,e of photos of my efforts this week , befores and afters .
F91F25FE-831F-4563-8D54-F541B12203B9.jpeg
981F1870-42B3-403E-9F6F-06FEAF8ABCFB.jpeg
8967F184-0606-454A-9E6A-FBE07E81D3F3.jpeg
1014E2A7-20A5-47A6-897B-EEBB81388F23.jpeg
6C31AF56-A23D-43B0-A97C-FDD1B89015FD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sue on 10 Oct 2021, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

0D36112D-0C2C-4B67-B22C-8459B6345AA6.jpeg
This is where the raspberries were dug up, soil levelled and re seeded with grass. It will make it easier to mow. Tbere are now two rows of currants and gooseberry bushes all in one place
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As always the impression I get is 'fecund', it all looks so growy. I'm glad you are getting on top of it. You need to come home to our autumn so you can have a rest.

My fresh start in the shed on the front lid went well..... See Shed Matters for the full story.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Its been an incredible growing year Stanley. However there is no rain forecast now for 10 days so I will gave to keep watering the seeds and cuttings over the next two days
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're doing well here today. My duvet covers and the heavy Christy towel I use as a pillow are drying nicely in full sun.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Today we walked down the clough to Kelbrook and back again. Its over 4 miles of rough ground, boggy bits and stiles with 700ft of uphill to get home. Col is walking again!!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Great stuff :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wish I could do that. Tell the old fart it's impressive.... :biggrin2:
I shall be carefully making lids in the shed.... It looks like another good day so walk and bookie watch should be fine. Must cook veggies later this morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 16:54 Today we walked down the clough to Kelbrook and back again. Its over 4 miles of rough ground, boggy bits and stiles with 700ft of uphill to get home. Col is walking again!!
Morning

Wendy that is brilliant. It sounds a tough walk . As well as physically it probably helped him psychologically too

Its thick mist this morning and I believe another nice day is forecast. There are a few things to be completed before our departure tomorrow afternoon. Having cleaned upstairs yesterday, I have downstairs to do today. This will include cleaning the oven and the fridge , the latter being nearly empty now. I want to visit a new fabric shop in Redon, 11 km away, we also want to call and see Roland and Nicole. We have a passenger locater form to complete and if possible print out , but we can’t do that till this evening. I have done the washing and ironing apart from washing our gardening things this evening and tomorrow morning the towels. Where has two weeks gone.

Yesterday was fun on the railway. Bob managed to clear 18 months pf grass, leaves and twigs from the track before we had a few runs round. Now it will just require a bit of titivating every visit. I did suggest a track extension to the veggie plot to carry my edible products to the house. :laugh5: ‘I think not !’ was the answer . It was a new engine, made from a kit. The last engine was fully made by Bob but it was a bit long for the curves and tended to come off the rails. This one was very stable

Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noticed he was careful on the beds but it performed very well.
I have had a lousy morning, it's another tale of woe later.......
I shall eat breakfast and gather my forces.

If you want to see what led to this go and have a look at shed matters. Not a pretty story....
But I am not downhearted! Excelsior!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Going to the cinema to watch No Time to Die (latest James Bond outing for Daniel Craig). Suprised to find I could book 'senior' tickets, result.
20211011_151051.jpg
Cinema Selfie :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did it cover P as well?
I am up early this morning, woke up ready to get out of bed and fired up for this morning's essay in the shed. I have been meaning to tackle so much about the back of the lathe (including oiling the bearings on the motor) and will sort it later this morning.
Looks like a dry day so a walk and bookie watch later.
All told, a busy and exciting day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Enjoy the clear out etc Stanley. I enjoyed ours last week and when I cleaned and tidied yesterday it was so nice not to have stacks of things lurking in corners collecting dust that have now gone.

Its not as misty this morning though I do think it is building up as it gets lighter. We are quite near the river so these early morning mists are a common feature from August onwards. I now have my cuppa as I write and through the bedroom window I can see the mist rolling in. I have already put my first load of washing on , random hand towels and tea towels as there will be a few loads this morning eg bathroom towels and bath mats. They will be left to dry hanging over the bath and on the airer in the laundry room. I cleaned the washer detergent dispenser yesterday, what a mess and Bob will put the dishwasher on for a clean after breakfast . We are doing a thorough clean up as we may not be back till next year. We have a ferry in November but will watch the weather and extraneous costs of tests before we decide wether to come. Getting the paperwork together is time consuming and there seems to be so much to check all the time and so much you could get wrong, the forms are ambiguous and long .

We went to see Roland yesterday afternoon. We called for Nicole and Roland's friend Michel was also there . It was a very pleasant chatty visit and we have seen a difference in only a couple of days. A few more personal items have been taken over from the house and he is looking settled. We didn’t realise that he had only moved in a week last Sunday, so am not surprised now how emotional everyone was last week. Nicole has promised to phone or text if there is any deterioration in Rolands condition, which may be the reason for any visit over the winter. We hope that it is not necessary, but we are really attached to this lovely old man who made our transition to life and the language here so enjoyable

His car is being sold and he is giving up his rented house. The landlord of his house has offered to buy all his furniture so he can rent the house as furnished. The scenario of payment for his stay in the home sounded very familiar indeed as did the ensuing conversation . Life and problems are not so different on the other side of the channel as is very obvious when reading the paper, but the better weather helps coping with it.

There are few jobs to do this morning so its mainly packing the car, putting outside furniture away, finish the washing, lunch and off. We shall visit fabric shops in Renne as I am still searching for the fabric I need for my winter project. Yesterdays visit to Redon was not successful. Though the shop is a paradise I resisted the temptation to buy anything . We have plenty of time to get to St Malo. The crossing should be calm. There will be no long report tomorrow as we shall be driving home calling in at Julias on the way . A useful toilet stop :laugh5:

Have a good day all
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 01:36 Did it cover P as well?
Aye, she's older than me.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Kev

Julia, Ed and Briony went to see the James Bond film the other day. Julia did some revision before she went, ie watched previous films :laugh5: . She said it was good and B loved it. Eve missed out as she was having a sleep over with a friend from swimming
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two hours work and we look a bit cleaner and all my steel stock is clean and in its proper place. I feel a lot better for that!

The top looks better as well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Forgot to say Roland's 4 bedroom unfurnished house that he rents is 660 euros a month, his Nursing home monthly rent is 2100 euros a month ie £2000 and we think we have got problems
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That thought occurred to me on Bookie watch yesterday Sue. A lady was guiding an electric wheelchair with a young lady in it who appeared incapable of movement. I think I am badly off because I can only walk a few hundred yards without sitting. (Or clean behind my lathe....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Today Col challenged himself (and me) with the 5 mile circular walk through Lothersdale and back up Sidegate Lane.
PXL_20211012_112529372.MP.jpg

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”