Today I shall be Mainly...

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Marilyn »

Sounds like you have been lucky Wendy. ( :geek: well I hope you have...only time will tell). Did you have to drag yourself home on your hands and knees?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Marilyn wrote: 26 May 2019, 08:11 Sounds like you have been lucky Wendy. ( :geek: well I hope you have...only time will tell). Did you have to drag yourself home on your hands and knees?
No, after Colin had helped me up I found I could walk OK, if a little shakily and with the help of much cursing and swearing! For a moment I thought I must have broken something but you are right, I was lucky. It feels as if I have been dead-legged.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Keep mobile as much as you can Wendy, even if you have to take painkillers to do it. Drilled into me by my physio's. You will already know that anyway. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Sometimes...the simplest events...can muck us up for quite a while! :biggrin2:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Wendy, have you gone out in sympathy with Stanley or maybe The Vicar of Dibley?
Hope you feel better soon.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks, now I've recovered from the shock of dropping down a hole in the ground I'm fine and will have to get on with the housework after all! :sad:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

This morning hubby declared he was going on his computer for 15 mins and then he would mop the timber floors upstairs. (Really!!!?).was this my husband offering to do housework? :goodidea:
So while he was having his "15 mins" on the computer, I prepared the damp mop and cloths for the wooden floors.
They sat there at the top of the landing until lunchtime! ( because his 15 mins on the computer blew out to hours, as usual).
I think he was a bit miffed to see the mop waiting...but hey!...he suggested it!
(Hee hee...get on with it buddy)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Wendyf wrote: 26 May 2019, 09:37 Thanks, now I've recovered from the shock of dropping down a hole in the ground I'm fine and will have to get on with the housework after all! :sad:
Hard lines Wendy. Hope you soon feel better. Keep exercising your calf muscles to prevent DVT.

Falling down holes seems to be a national sport for the locals here. They're always falling down holes in the roads and pavements. One woman was crossing a flooded road in Nanning and was shown on cctv disappearing down a drain which had a displaced manhole cover. The drain led straight into the river and she was never seen again and her body was never recovered.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

This hole was only big enough for one leg to go down otherwise I would probably have disappeared from view and ended up in Kelbrook. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, lifting this....

Far too heavy! And the silly thing is I knew it at the time. Coming to all right with rest....
Wendy, I have done that and I think the worst thing is the fact that you twist your whole body as one leg loses support. Give it as much rest as you can, bit like a bad fall....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You daft "B". Old enough to know better...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite right..... My head tells me it is less than 400lbs so it's OK. Complete delusion!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

What a pair. Stanley, yes you should know better and Wendy that sounds awful. Both of you take care.

I have been plodding on with my veggie garden here. All the weed suppressant fabric I put down in March has disintegrated and the ground is covered in weeds. This has not happened before. Thus before I can plant out I have had to take it all up, weed and put new fabric down. I have done one patch so have planted sunflowers, tomatoes, courgette, butternut squash and pattypan.

Today its a trip to the market to see if I can get some beetroot plants for the other patch which I still need to tackle. I have cucumber, runner beans and corn for there. I have also planted runner beans in big pots next to the uprights of the gazebo by the house, along with sweet peas to attract the bees. Here I also have roses, clematis and random self seeded nasturtiums. My onions and potatoes planted in March are growing well but the potatoes need weeding and banking up.

Once the veggies are done I can turn my mind to tidying the strawberry and rhubarb patch and then the flower beds ( not much of them) We seem to have a jungle of sticky jack this year. I think the garden is missing our late April early May visit as we went to Scotland this year instead.

Bob still has to finish cutting the lawn, he couldn’t do it yesterday as we are not allowed to Use noisy garden equipment here on a Sunday

Must shower and get to that market, they only run in the morning and its 30 minutes away.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, simply reading that made me feel fatigued! I take my hat off to you and hope all goes well.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 27 May 2019, 05:59 Sue, simply reading that made me feel fatigued! I take my hat off to you and hope all goes well.....
Its hard work Stanley. My face fell when I saw it all . However a good job now and get someone to cut the lawn whilst we are way till July and hopefully it will be ok next visit. We really do need to come twice in May. Even I have to admit to feeling my age this week, but the end result is good for the soul :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"the end result is good for the soul :laugh5:"
The cry of the good Puritan!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once more I aim for the shed..... Good chance of it happening today, no diversions in sight!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Just typed a long post, when I pressed submit, the whole thing crashed. I am not typing it again! I will do it again later. We are out soon after breakfast so must get up.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's happened to me recently Sue. Bloody annoying!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Meeting up with friends for a walk around Wycoller, I'm hoping the rain holds off and that my knee holds up! I'm pretty much recovered from my drop down the hole on Sunday, the back of my knee pulls if I walk too enthusiastically.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It has sometimes happened to me after typing in a post and pressing submit that my post doesn't appear. On checking Active Topics I can see that someone else has submitted a post on the same topic at the same time, maybe a few seconds before, and I have to retype and submit.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've found by bad experience that with long posts it's always best to type it into a text editor (Notepad or similar) saving it as you go along then copying and pasting it in the OG window. I keep a file called `draft.txt' in my Home folder for this purpose. I usually delete the old, used text and then type in the next post but I suppose I could just as well leave them and keep adding the latest one at the top or bottom.

Cathy, I don't understand why you lose your post when someone else posts at the same time. When you try to post, it should bring up a copy of the other person's post to warn you in case you want to modify yours. But you can still post your own, it shouldn't go astray.

Wendy, I missed your post about falling in the hole and I'm glad to hear you seem to be OK. The shock can be all out of proportion. I'm often surprised when I see TV people wading into murky water in a mine - they don't know and can't see if there's a hole in front of them. In Cornwall we have to be careful. Most of the mine shafts have been covered but there are still older holes to fall into.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Re my posting problem, it happens only occasionally. Something tells me it might be my phone. I always post from my phone.
It happened again in the last few days so I'll look back to see if I can find it.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Cathy wrote: 28 May 2019, 10:32 It has sometimes happened to me after typing in a post and pressing submit that my post doesn't appear. On checking Active Topics I can see that someone else has submitted a post on the same topic at the same time, maybe a few seconds before, and I have to retype and submit.
try hitting the back button on your browser once or twice, some retain the information in the typing box and you can give it another go
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I'm baaack :smile:
Had a quick look, can't find it. I'll make a note next time and will also try your hint Whyperion.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”