POLITICS CORNER

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Tripps »

I like that - I called them gargoyles last week - I like that better :smile:

I'm still watching - It's all a total waste of time - literally.

I think that for all the good they are doing the opposition should get up and walk out en masse, as I think the SNP MP's did so a few weeks ago.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The public flogging of the Blood Difficult Woman has been postponed perhaps to be reschedule at a later date. All this when I'd got my 'knit one purl one' something like.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've just sent this to my MP. A bit tongue in cheek but . . .

Heidi,

This is the first correspondence I have ever sent to you.
I have been watching the Parliament channel all afternoon in a growing state of incredulity. Now Angela Leadsom seems to be saying that she is doing us all a favour by postponing the meaningful vote, to allow Mrs May to deal with the concerns of honorable members.
I shall not vote for your party ever again, and I shall take down my pinup picture of you which has been on my kitchen wall ever since you knocked on my door, in Meldreth and we spoke when you were first seeking election.
When I'm told that black is white - it's time to say goodbye. We are not fools.
Dave Trippier
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Just found out her maiden name was Bancroft - that's a plus - but she's got to go. :smile:
heidi allen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

So the current London Crossrail (2) project is 2 Billion over budget, it should have been finished next year but there is no longer any firm date for completion. Some of the new stations are still at footings level. The trains and rolling stock are not compatible with the signalling system. 15 Billion spent so far and it looks like they are trying to blame the London Mayor Sadiq Khan for the delays? With these kind of eye watering numbers, why cant we have the East West line upgrade promised in the Northern Power House? (of course I know the answer to the last point). :sad:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you remember Grayling wouldn't admit there was going to be another call for cash and denied HS2 was already estimated to be heading for double budget. This Cross Rail cock-up hasn't developed in a week, the man is a liar. Dennis Skinner was in good voice yesterday.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Re: LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2013

Post by plaques »

Lancashire County Council Proposal ...Shoppers and visitors to Nelson and Colne face having to pay to park on the street in what could be a huge blow to local shops and businesses... Thanks a lot for that! This could be the final nail in the coffin for the small shops that are trying to make ends meet. I wonder who is going to make the real profit from this, Lancashire Council, Pendle Council or the Parking Companies?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I predict a second referendum, that is all I have to say on the matter.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

You could be right Kev or when she comes home with her tail between her legs the deal will have to go to the vote. She will lose and a motion of no confidence will be put forward. I though John Bercow was going to insist on the vote as scheduled for today, still might happen, he said last night that he was not responsible for the PM's movements and If she chose not to be present for the business of the house so be it. More fun to come. :smile:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

With a Government that is determined to keep everything secret, break all the rules and tell lies, who knows what is going to happen next.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2013

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 08:45 Lancashire County Council Proposal ...Shoppers and visitors to Nelson and Colne face having to pay to park on the street in what could be a huge blow to local shops and businesses... Thanks a lot for that! This could be the final nail in the coffin for the small shops that are trying to make ends meet. I wonder who is going to make the real profit from this, Lancashire Council, Pendle Council or the Parking Companies?
Who's footing the £221,000 bill to actually install the new parking meters and how long will it take to recoup that cost? It's a ridiculous idea...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Perhaps she'll cancel any inevitable general election, just in case she doesn't win :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I thought Bercow was going to have her for "frustrating parliament" yesterday. Anyway she's run away, will get nothing from the johnny foreigners so on a hiding to nowt, another huge waste of taxpayers money, she won't have gone on her own with an overnight bag. :smile:
Ian
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

The Isles are full of noises, but no sweet sounds….

The Tories lap up the Lancaster House red lines and the EU says fair enough, here’s the only deal we can give you based on these you lapped up so much, and as expected the hapless UK has a tantrum and says well that’s just not fair. Pathetic. But let’s be clear: Labour are no better. Indeed they are just as bad. Here are Labour’s 6 Tests for a future deal with the EU (I think this deal given the tests is different to a deal on the terms of leaving but I’m not sure and I bet they aren’t either to be honest).

Does it ensure a strong and collaborative future relationship with the EU?
Might do. I am sure Japan and Canada and South Korea and all the other places that have a trade deal with the EU would say they have a strong a strong and collaborative relationship. A pointless slogan really.

Does it deliver the “exact same benefits” as we currently have as members of the Single Market and Customs Union?
Nonsense on a stick. Complete nonsense. The only way, the only way, the UK can have the exact same benefits is as members of the EU. Labour basically wants the same stupid cake to eat as the likes of Johnson. They are deluded if they think they can have any deal, on leaving, that delivers this. It beggars belief a supposed sensible party could even come up with this for a Brexit test.

Does it ensure the fair management of migration in the interests of the economy and communities?
I assume ‘migration’ here is free movement as we have absolute control over migration from outside the EU whether we are members or not. This migration is not a Commission competence. Here’s the thing. No one else anywhere in the EU has any problem at all with the free movement of European citizens within the EU’s single market. Migration from outside the EU yes, but free movement within, no. The UK is the only Member State that sees this free movement as migration and these people as immigrants. Again, that a sensible party does not understand the difference beggars belief. So, if ‘migration’ is free movement then Labour will get nowhere with the EU if they try to unpick it. But more fundamentally, I don’t know what it means. Is it more cakeism? We want free movement but not too much?

Does it defend rights and protections and prevent a race to the bottom?
To the extent that the EU’s position on trade deals with them is there is no what they call ‘social dumping’ then you will not have a deal with them if you seek to do this. The point is therefore obvious unless you do not want a trade deal with the world’s largest and richest market on your doorstep.

Does it protect national security and our capacity to tackle cross-border crime?
Again, the EU’s legal base will not allow 3rd countries full access to EU arrangements. So if ‘protect’ there means this, leaving will never meet this test. It’s just more deluded cakeism.

Does it deliver for all regions and nations of the UK?
What does this even mean? Scotland voted remain. Only that will deliver for them. London voted remain. Same thing. This is just drivel. And if I was being churlish (and God knows this nonsense surely needs it), I'd argue Wales is a Principality and Northern Ireland a Province.

So let’s be clear: Labour has no more clue than the Tories. And we need to get up to speed quick. We have decided to leave the EU. We must face the consequences of that decision, which are significant. That sadly, requires a maturity too long lacking in these noisome Isles.

Richard Broughton
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

He had a point that Caliban. I'd say he was a leaver.
Be not afeard. . . . :smile:

Be not afeard. The isle is full of noises,
Sounds, and sweet airs
that give delight and hurt not.

You have shown clearly the problems on all sides, but starting from where we currently are - what do you think should happen now?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Do we move towards the USA or to Europe. This has been an age old balancing act where finally we have to make up our minds. The US has been the most powerful country and is still trying to maintain its status but gradually losing ground. The EU could be a real force in the world once it has digested its own internal problems some of them caused by the US and NATO playing cowboys in Eastern Europe. Mrs May nor Corbyn will never get a better deal with the EU by being outside the EU than inside it. Corbyn should say this openly a qualify it by saying " if Labour are the elected government we will cancel article 50 and negotiate from inside". Of course nothing like this will happen. Corbyn will do a Napoleon and stand on the sidelines until the Tories have torn themselves apart. If this means pumping out equally nonsense testing measures as a smokescreen while he does nothing only keeping his nose out of it then that is on a par with today's politics.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Interesting incident today concerning Dennis Skinner. :smile:

Stewart Malcolm SNP.
I said to my colleague, my hon. Friend the Member for Motherwell and Wishaw (Marion Fellows), that I wished the Leader of the Opposition would answer a question. That prompted the hon. Member for Bolsover to turn around to me and call me “a piece of shit”. He then went on to defend that, telling a journalist that he was just putting me in my place.

Mr Speaker.
I hope that the hon. Gentleman will understand if I say that I have a very high regard for him, but I have known the hon. Member for Bolsover (Mr Skinner) for 21 years and I hold him in the highest esteem. I am not going to stand here and criticise a Member from the Chair for conduct that I did not witness. I have made the overall point, and I think it would be best if I leave it there. I appreciate that the hon. Member for Glasgow South (Stewart Malcolm McDonald) has raised his concern, if that was what he felt he had to do. May we leave it there for today? Thank you.

PS.
Strong rumours that they have tipped her the black spot. About time.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Oh what a tangled web we weave....." Simply cancel the Article 50 letter and get on with the internal blood bath in the Commons. I disagree with everyone who isn't advocating that, the simple solution.
All politics is local and I agree that the 'improvements' to parking are beyond insane. I don't think Barlick is included in the madness.....
In all the chaos, has TM put the removal company on stand-by? I forecast it was a poisoned chalice and let's forget about a General Election, just leave the Tories to destroy themselves and the next ones in will have the mess to clear up so that will do for them as well. Brilliant management all round. Let's have a referendum on sacking the lot and starting again.
Quite impressed with John Bercow actually......
Later.... Breaking news that a Tory Leadership election has been triggered and will take place tonight. Dangerous and in some ways totally bonkers. If she wins (and the betting is evens on this) she can't be challenged again for twelve months. If she loses it could take the thick end of two months to get a result. Take your pick.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 04:28 If she loses it could take the thick end of two months to get a result.
Yes, her supporters are stressing how if she loses it could take a long time to get a result. But they would say that, wouldn't they? In contrast, Laura Kuenssberg reports that others are telling her it could be sorted in 20 days.

Richard, thanks for dissecting Labour's 6 Tests and showing their weaknesses and ambiguity. For anyone who missed it, here is your final paragraph again. :smile:
Bruff wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 15:05 So let’s be clear: Labour has no more clue than the Tories. And we need to get up to speed quick. We have decided to leave the EU. We must face the consequences of that decision, which are significant. That sadly, requires a maturity too long lacking in these noisome Isles.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I heard that she's cancelled this evening's confidence vote but, then again, it could just be me being silly :laugh5:

They're upstaging the Christmas pantomimes, oh no they're not... :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

What a way to run a country! Or should that be ruin a country?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You've all seen the result, technically she won but 117 of her own side voted against her. Jacob Rees Mogg had a point when he said that any office holders who owe their position to May would vote for her, he reckons there are well over a hundred of them so if you discount them it is a terrible result. She can't claim the Party have confidence in her on this basis. It should be called a survival vote.
She still has no chance of getting a vote through in the House without drastic modification but what mods could she make without upsetting others? We are in deep trouble!

Thanks to PE. I think they will forgive me for giving this cartoon wider attention....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Laura Kuenssberg...
`Brexit: War breaks out in Conservative Party' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's OK to be wise before the event. I said when Cameron and Osborne got going on their polices after 2010 that a likely outcome was the breaking up of the Tory Party and a spell in the political wilderness. What I did not foresee was that they would render government so toxic that no sane opposition party would want to take over. Some trick!
That's why I believe there is only one viable option, reboot the whole process by cancelling the Article 50 letter and start to build again.
News trickling in from Brussels suggests that the EU is losing patience. May is criticised for not being clear about what she wants. Her campaign is not going well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

T May has just given a news conference and is insisting that all is not lost with Brussels, she is evidently obsessed with 'steady as she goes'. It remains to be seen what Parliament is going to make of this. I think the truth is that she is getting deeper into the shit, her stubbornness got her there and is now making things worse. Time for a rethink......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”