POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

Pluggy, as you say, Farage is a very sore loser.... And I'm afraid I agree with you about Syria. However, bombing is so wrong. Remember Kissinger and Nixon in Vietnam and Cambodia? Bomb them back to the Stone Age.... Yeah, right.....
Later.... Blair has stuck his oar in again supporting the decision to bomb. When will this jerk learn to keep quiet? Does anyone think his judgement and opinions are worth a toss?
I heard a comment this morning but missed who said it. They were saying that despite all the flak being fired at him, Jeremy can't be faulted for not sticking to his principles. Leaving all the infighting aside and regardless of what happens in the end, he is doing good to politics by being firm, clear and refusing to be blown about by circumstance. In today's twisted politics this is not necessarily the best strategy but someone has to do it and set an example.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Nothing to do with Jeremy of course directly but I wonder how long it will be until someone latches on to the fact that his brother is a climate change denier? He was on Newsnight the other night spouting his daft claims. He is a meteorologist and is very vociferous in defending his corner, annoying to listen to actually.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Some of us latched on a long time ago. :smile: He was said to have made a living by successfully betting on the weather, though I doubt this, since bookmakers quickly close any consistently winning account. He still runs a business, selling private weather and climate forecasts. Take a look Piers Corbyn weather forecast

I saw the interview in which he repeated the proposition that increased CO2 actually was a consequence of warming, and not the cause. He said this was revealed by analysis of the ice core record. This is also mentioned in this film from Channel 4 a while ago.
Global warming

That looks fairly convincing to a mug punter like me, but what are we to believe when the BBC tells us that 97% of climate scientists say the opposite, and the science is now settled? For the record - I found him annoying to listen to as well - not because of the content - but because of his appearance and manner.

Similarly on Statins. I take them on the advice of my Doctor who is well trained, teaches and researches at a Cambridge College, and commutes regularly to Perth Australia to do the same. Should I really start to argue with her, on the basis of what is in the press or I read on a website ?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

BBC News 2015 12 05 22:05 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... s-05122015 At approx 08:19 into report (note this link dies in 24hrs after the broadcast date, so might be worth saving on a download program) Michael Fallon UK Govt Defence Minister Speaking at RAF Base in Cyprus states the border between Syria and Iraq is an artficial one.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote:The debate about naming of the group also includes the use of "State" within the acronym. This, according to the cross party Parliamentary group that was set up to discuss alternatives gives them some kind of credence and should also be avoided. As they are not representative of Islam as the rest of the world understands the ideology and do not have any form of State that is their own they have proposed using the term "Daesh" instead of the plethora of other terms being used. I noticed yesterday that this was accepted by the house and by most speakers during yesterday debate. The BBC have been asked to adopt this terminology as well but they have said that to do so would break impartiality.
I still think that the Ideas behind the European Human Rights should be expanded wholly internationally, and that all entities wishing to form 'States' and have recognised economic and political borders can do so if they subscribe to such individual rights. This might mean a re-working of the maps, but is not impossible to engineer over time. The average individual probably does not care as to whom produces his currency and to whom he pays his taxes, but the right to a reasonable freedom of expression and belief is important.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard that interview and like most of you found it intensely annoying, not because of the content, everyone is allowed their opinion, but the way he came over. But I am getting more and more intolerant as I get older so this means nothing.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There's a long and detailed article by war reporter Anthony Loyd in the Saturday issue of The Times describing how ISIS has now flared up in eastern Afghanistan while the west has been preoccupied with Paris and Syria. All the usual atrocities. They came over the border from Pakistan claiming to be a tribe fleeing from persecution and pretending to be peaceful but were then joined by another lot and they all suddenly had guns and went around killing anyone who got in the way, carrying out executions etc. The Afghan army can't cope with it and has lost about 500 men already. The big question seems to be who has funded the incursion.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Worrying stuff Tiz. The money is coming from somewhere.....
Have you noticed how the attacks on Jeremy have slackened off since the Oldham and Royton by-election? A bit of reassessment going on among the chatterati? They got the general Election, the Leader election and the by-election wrong. As one said yesterday he is reassessing the probity of his political contacts......
Not reported on the web yet but UK manufacturers are warning that the economic recovery is very fragile, no doubt there will be more later on. Ossie's 'economic miracle' is under increasing attack.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yes, the fragility of the world economy is a main front page headline in the FT this morning. But not to worry, Cameron and Ossie say we are doing well...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On the quiet many people are getting worried Tiz. I heard a programme this morning based on a book 'Between Debt and the Devil' by Adair Turner just published. He's trying to answer the question why, seven years after the credit crisis, growth is so fragile. In brief he argues for more QE but not funnelled through the financial institutions who tend to hang on to it but via the people who spend. I have been arguing this ever since the crash, it's the lower percentiles who spend the money that supports 85% of growth through consumption. What have we done via austerity? Strangled that avenue of growth. It's the economics of the nursery....
Read THIS and reflect on the fact that Donald Trump is either a very clever and devious man or an absolute cretin. I heard a recording of the meeting where he announced this stupid 'policy', the frightening thing is that the audience cheered.... He is appealing to the basest and most repugnant streams of thought in politics. This is DAESH strategy achieving it's goals.
Cameron visits the flooded areas in Carlisle and makes the right noises. Right.... Now lets see what he actually does. This man is a walking spin factory....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

My sympathies lie with the poor people of Cumbria and the other areas affected by intense flooding, had this happened in certain other parts of the world, the relief effort would have been global. Maybe its time to cut back on the amount of overseas aid and remember that charity begins at home.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I asked an American friend who I trust about politics. He says I am right, Trump is a jerk and a fascist. However he also points out that though more low key, Trump is saying what many Republicans think privately. This swing to the extreme right is dangerous, look at France......
See THIS BBC report that the Noble Lord Feldman was given a dossier in 2010 detailing allegations of bullying in the Youth Wing of the Tory Party. It specifically mentioned Mark Clarke according to the activists who drew it up. Feldman sticks to his story that he knew nothing about these allegations until August of this year. If there is one phrase that sums up politics over the last twenty years it could be "Not me Guv!".
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Trump is driving away many Republicans, he just has a hard core that follow him and make more noise than others. He'll self-destruct soon!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Watching PMQ's. Deputies, day. Angela Eagle is brilliant, and she has totally outplayed George Osborne. He has just had to suggest she change her line of questioning. :smile: I think she has just sunk any thoughts he may have had about being next PM.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'd missed that David, just watched the video on BBC News. She did a good job and of course Ossie answered none of her questions...
As for Ossie quoting TB.... See THIS for a report of his latest statement criticising Jeremy Corbyn and the present direction of the party. Doesn't Blair realise that every time he tries to stoke up opposition in the Labour Party against Jeremy he probably swings another cohort of party members behind the new politics? Does he not realise that many of us have not forgotten what he did to the party and what the final outcome of his direction was?
I'll admit to being impatient as I watch the in-fighting but Rome wasn't built in a day and there are hopeful signs that common sense is beginning to prevail. The Oldham and Royton result made many critics, both inside and outside the party, think again and there are signs that the Tories have started reassessing the threat.
I note that Ossie described Tony Blair as "The most successful Labour leader", really? Judged on what standards? The only one that could possibly be on his mind was Labour's long term in power, something that is the Tory ambition. Personally I would judge the success or otherwise of a PM as the effect on society of his leadership. Using this measure, Blair was possibly the worst PM Labour has ever produced. He left his party in ruins, his foreign policy decisions were a disaster and he left no legacy of improvement in the lot of the lower earners.
Pressure builds on the Noble Lord Coe over the Eugene decision and his association with Nike. He says he did no lobbying for the decision but he didn't need to. It is obvious that the lure of his annual bung of £100,000 was more important than impartiality. I am not impressed by him or his record.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hillary Clinton says that Trump is no longer amusing, he is dangerous. Trump says 'many people' agree with him. Yeah. 'Many People' believe in Creationism and that climate change isn't happening.....
Cameron looks set to miss out on yet another pre-election promise. Expect the decision on the third runway at Heathrow not to happen before Xmas.
See THIS for a BBC report of the shambles that is being uncovered in the programme of cuts to police funding. This is not a storm in a teacup. It is one more piece of evidence that the cuts to public services are badly thought out and the administration is chaotic. Not a good way to run a country or its economy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

The decision to develop a third runway at Heathrow (and that will be the decision) will likely scupper the chances of Zac Goldsmith, Tory candidate for London Mayor in the Mayoral election due next May. Nothing will happen until after that, in keeping with the trend for duping voters and electoral expediency. And that’s the Tory Party, the ‘party for business’, right there. I wouldn’t trust them with a pair of scissors, or to run a tap.

Reports that none of the other 27 EU member States (MS) will agree to the PM’s call for the UK to deny benefits to EU nationals for four years. Obviously. The point about the EU is that you do not discriminate against EU nationals. I as a UK national will, if I go to Germany, or Holland, or Finland or Poland or Bulgaria etc., get by way of ‘benefits’ exactly what a German or a Dutchman, or a Fin and Pole and a Bulgarain etc. would get in their country (and I would just note that there are plenty of UK nationals on benefits in other MS). If the PM wants to deny EU nationals here benefits for 4 years all he has to do is develop UK legislation which ‘denies’ for want of a better word, benefits to UK nationals for 4 years. I suppose the easiest way to do this would be to deny benefits to anyone here under the age of 22 (given that you have to be in education now ‘til 18 years of age). There are probably other ways you could do it. So just to emphasise, no EU national can go to any other EU country and expect to get any more or less than that MS would ‘give’ it’s own citizens. Spend anytime on newspaper etc. forums and it’s astounding how many folk simply do not get this basic point. That we will have a referendum in the face of such ignorance on so vital a matter is deeply, deeply worrying.

As some wag said, if Trump becomes President would the US be known as Trumpton? Sadly, it’s not funny. I have to say, I don’t like this trend for ‘banning’ folk with ‘different’ views. Best to get Trump over here and laugh at him.

Richard Broughton
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Continuing with Bruff’s point about benefits to immigrants I can’t help but think of the similarity between what Mr Cameron is currently trying to do and what faced Henry VIII over his divorce with Catherine of Aragon. Those who could keep awake during their history lessons will remember that Catherine was the widow of Henry’s brother Arthur. After receiving the required marriage approval from Pope Clement VII they produce two girls but no male heir. Henry’s thoughts were that without a true heir the country may descend into civil war. The fact that he fancied Anne Boleyn may be put to one side for the moment. The original marriage was, as always in those days, to cement kinship and trade and avoid wars with our neighbour France. Fast forward five hundred years and we see Mrs Thatcher entering a marriage with the European Union which was headlined to offer the same rewards. Unfortunately for Mr Cameron there were parts in the small print that would ultimately come back and bite him. Like Henry before him the first plan of action was to drop the bits he didn’t like but carry on with the rest. As we now know getting a marriage annulled by the very person who agreed to it in the first place is a bit of a non-starter. Not wanting to upset the two most powerful people in Europe, now read France and Germany, Clement kicked the request into the long grass. Henry started to look for legal loopholes that would see the marriage invalid. These are the very similar tactics Cameron is using for diluting the Human Rights bill and introducing the four year delay on paying benefits to immigrants. As with Henry’s manoeuvrings the outcome is predictable, our good Lords and Ladies will in all likelihood reject any further erosion of benefits to the indigenous workers and should he try to bulldoze it through lay the foundations for a civil war. One which the rebels, Mr Corbyn, could possibly win. The alternative is to try what Henry did with the Catholic Church and remove the UK from the European Union altogether, a “Brexit” but as history tells us this ultimately finish up with a civil war and a certain King having his head removed.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two good posts. I like the analogy with Henry VIII. What continually strikes me about the 'Referendum Debate' is that it is purely artificial and was only brought in by Cameron as a sop to his rabid back-benchers who hate the EU and all it stands for. By doing this he elevated membership into a major issue which is crippling other essential political debate.
I think Richard is right about the connection between the third runway and the London Mayoral election. A vital decision is secondary to a sleazy political consideration. That's par for the course in the mind set that colours this administration, 'what's in it for us?'.
Two things about the referendum. I have taken the trouble to learn as much as I can of European History but even so, my inclination to vote to stay in is based on nothing more concrete than my belief that Europe united is a better bet than Europe divided. I doubt whether the majority of the electorate have even that slim basis for a decision, they will be acting more on the 'plucky little Britain can go it alone' theory. (We are having difficulty keeping the UK united so for 'Britain' read 'Engerland' [sic]!)
Then there is the effect our dilettante behaviour is having on Europe. They are going through a difficult period and the last thing that is needed is a totally spurious debate and the uncertainty it engenders. The irony is that one of the Tory's most revered shibboleths, WSC, would have no doubt about what we should do. He saw a United States of Europe as a palliative for the constant in-fighting and wars that had characterised the Continent for over a thousand years. It was a broad, statesmanlike judgement which still holds true. Unfortunately 'broad' and 'statesmanlike' are not words that spring to mind nowadays. Narrow self-interest and expediency are the order of the day just as in the third runway debate.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

On the subject of benefits, I recall what an elderly Lady from Scotland said to me a couple of years ago whilst chatting over the garden gate, "You should not expect to dip your hand in the pot, until you have put something in it"!!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

One of the major factors in Donald Trump's rise to fame, riches and power has come back to bite him. He's made a fortune out of charging vast sums for organisations and institutions to use his name but his recent outburst has upset them and they are rushing for the exit. In particular he seems to have forgotten that some of these entities are Islamic. And now his web site has been attacked by Anonymous.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Anonymous sounds a bit right, Trump by name, Trump by nature. The anonymous are good at what they do, mainly because it does not require much physical effort, just a remarkable talent for getting up peoples noses on a regular basis. People like Trump will always get a degree of support because at the end of the day, many are sick and tired of being told how they must think, what they cannot say or do, despite their feelings. I have much sympathy for the ordinary Islamic people who will ultimately suffer for the miss use of their religion, and I have met many in my time, here and in their countries of origin, but it is still their religion, and if they wish to be stable and happy, they need to engage, and come out of the somewhat shadowy existence that currently surrounds them.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There are moves to remove Trump's golf courses from the Majors Circuit. Problem is he still leads the national polls as Republican candidate....
Latest news on Cameron's 'negotiations' with the EU suggest that he is going to have to drop his proposals to limit benefits to EU migrants. See this LINK for a telegraph report on the matter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Cameron's " negotiations" may be described as " fat words and dissimulations". The background problem is that there are too many people coming into the UK looking for a better life that the system cannot cope. Cameron's proposal on delaying benefits will not stem the flow of immigrants, there are no figures being bandied about saying what reduction this move would make. Even if he achieved his benefit delay he has only pushed the problem four years down the road. So rather than deal with the question of immigration its easier to change the question.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

One of today's front page cartoons shows the Three Wise Men asking the angel "If we go to Bethlehem can we claim benefits?"

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”