POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

I totally agree with you Ken. Starmer, in his denial of the right of workers to withdraw their Labour, is going down the same road that Blair et al did when they rejected the old Clause IV. I never saw a lot wrong with
"To secure for the workers by hand or by brain the full fruits of their industry and the most equitable distribution thereof that may be possible upon the basis of the common ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange, and the best obtainable system of popular administration and control of each industry or service." particularly when modified by Nye Bevan's version of 'common ownership' being control of the commanding heights of the economy. This is seen today as being hopelessly old fashioned as it it attacks the root of capitalism, the virtue of making private profit and amassing wealth. We see the logical outcome of that today in the grotesque fortunes of some modern billionaires. Contrast that with the increasing gap between the rich and poor.
Starmer is evidently not convinced by these arguments, he believes that he mustn't frighten the horses in his pursuit of power. He is wrong, he must stand squarely with the workers in their fight against the worst excesses of the market. This Tory government has placed itself squarely with the capital owners who repay this by financing the Party.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 04:07 This Tory government has placed itself squarely with the capital owners who repay this by financing the Party.
Direct funding to political parties is reasonably transparent with most of it being auditable. What's missing especially within the present Conservative party is the 'old pals' acts where negative news items are buried, Johnson's casting couch story with Carrie, with Knighthoods being mysteriously being handed out. NHS, PPE contracts given to insiders costing £Billions with nothing to show for them. Expensive government adverts pushed into favoured newspapers, paid by the tax payer.. Massive contracts pushed via lobbyists which are repaid by donations to the party. The end result is an incestuous circle of hidden bribes. On and on it goes.
Behind all this is the Very powerful right-wing media who are subliminally taking over peoples minds and telling them what to think and how to act. We have now got to the stage where nobody is overtly pulling strings but in the background the puppet masters (0.01% capital owners) are working away like fury.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 08:50 What's missing especially within the present Conservative party is the 'old pals' acts where negative news items are buried,
I see. Not just the Conservatives perhaps?

A couple of weeks ago an embarassing story was around about a prominent Scottish politician, but was stopped dead by an injunction. Is there an injunction? Some of them are secret. Was the story true? I suspect it was, but I don't know. How would I ever find out?

Now there has been repeated reference, on various websites, over the weekend to a story that Fixed Penalty Notices have been issued by Durham Police to the attendees (is that a word?) at the Beer and Curry 'party' in Durham, but they are being appealed. That too is now said to be covered by an injunction against publishing details. I have read that Sir Keir only said he would quit if he was 'fined'. Perhaps we will get the eminent barrister's opinion on the difference between a FPN and a fine?

I think we will find the truth or otherwise in this matter in due course, especially if some upstart reveals it under parliamentary privilege in the H.O.C. :smile:
PS The utterly shameless Mr Pincher has now mounted the classic defence of portraying himself as a victim rather than a transgressor, and gone (he hopes) into medical purdah,(see Keith Vaz) until the storm passes. Can't help comparing him to Nigel Evans MP who survived similar after a criminal trial, in which he was aquitted, and was subsequently promoted to Deputy Speaker. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I reckon it's about time all politicians should be DBS checked before they stand for office. Problem there is that it would probably preclude quite a lot from standing, the house would be half empty. It would be much easier then to build a new system in the round and do the job right. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What strikes me is that we can all sit here talking perfectly sensibly about what is happening and deploring it and it doesn't amount to a row of beans. As has always been the case 'money talks' and it is the big capital interests that actually run what we quaintly describe as 'a democracy'. Look at the way we allow the Rothermeres to run an ultra Right Wing media empire while enjoying non-dom status. On a global scale consider how it could be that de Beers could be allowed to manipulate the market for diamonds as it has done. We know that the laughably named 'Honours System' in the UK is riddled with corruption (See the latest revelations of how a major donor to Prince Charles' ecological village has been treated). You can all find more examples.
Does it matter that we have been brain-washed into thinking that all this is acceptable, indeed that it is traditional! Of course it does and yet we are conned into 'celebrating' Brenda's 70 years at the helm.
We are constantly being told that we don't need change or a written constitution as our 'unwritten' one is working fine and any change would be disaster. I look at all the countries who manage quite nicely without monarchy and spurious 'traditions' and wonder how it can be that they haven't dissolved in anarchy. On the most basic level, Ian is right. Bugger refurbishing the Houses of Parliament, demolish them and start with a modern debating chamber that isn't based on an adversarial system. (The same system that supports a venal system of lawyers and advocates.)
And now as the ultimate insult the government is proposing to disconnect our domestic Human Rights Act from the accepted international convention on human rights. If we allow them to get away with this we deserve everything that happens afterwards.
Just a thought.... What happens if the workers realise what's happening and also that due to almost full employment they have the power to change things by withdrawing their labour?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Disappointed with Starmer's ' No case for rejoining the EU. I'm not sure what he means by this. All the evidence so far points to an absolute disaster on every count. Is he really say they won't let the UK back in until we get our house in order or is it that in spite of all the pain he still can't convince those who voted to leave that they had made a mistake. Telling someone they are wrong doesn't always go down well. I appreciate that sometimes its better to sit on the fence and let them stew a little longer but meanwhile the country in going down the tube.
Put me down as not happy at all. :sad:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I also cant see where Starmer is coming from. Referendum was a binary vote with a 50/50 recommendation. So, even if he campaigned on a go back in policy he should get 50% of the vote to start with. Mind you I am totally confused about any of our declared policies, we don't seem to have any with any substance. Plenty to go at and in the current situation with a totally morally and politically corrupt government, it should be easy. Sooner we get shut of both him and Boris the better.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Another one gone, Sajid Javid, resigned as Secretary of State for Health and Care. Keep going lads, there will be no one left. :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Seems Rishi Sunak the Chancellor, and Sajid Javed the Health minister have both resigned. :surprised:

Surely Boris Big Dog cannot survive that.

I have seen speculation as whether the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Oppostion have ever both resigned in the same week. You wouldn't bet against it now.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Rishi must have heard me, lets keep it going, carry on lads. :laugh5:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's all tumbling down now. The start of their leadership bids?
I'll bet a shiny shilling Boris is gone before lunch tomorrow. Surely he can't survive two senior ministers resigning?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 17:53 It's all tumbling down now. The start of their leadership bids?
I'll bet a shiny shilling Boris is gone before lunch tomorrow. Surely he can't survive two senior ministers resigning?
Poss by 10 PM tonight.

Who is backing Boris
BBC at 1901 today
Foreign Secretary Liz Truss
Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng
Defence Secretary Ben Wallace
Home Secretary Priti Patel
Justice Secretary Dominic Raab
International Trade Secretary Anne-Marie Trevelyan

Brexit opportunities minister Jacob Rees-Mogg (Jacob Rees-Mogg is speaking to Sky News.
He says "there is no other leader I would want to fight a general election under" as he provides backing for the prime minister.)

Scotland Secretary Alister Jack
Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis
Wales Secretary Simon Hart
Add Nadine Dorries Culture and Media Secretary, (who chose her original backing words carefully a day ago ) and Gove Leveling Up.

I cannot see the Education Secretary staying after backing Johnson a few hours ago then being unwound by the facts.

I'm watching blow by blow on line BBC reporting (makes a Change from the F1 and Test Match Special updates over the last few days)
Last edited by Whyperion on 05 Jul 2022, 19:05, edited 3 times in total.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 09:30 I also cant see where Starmer is coming from. Referendum was a binary vote with a 50/50 recommendation. So, even if he campaigned on a go back in policy he should get 50% of the vote to start with. Mind you I am totally confused about any of our declared policies, we don't seem to have any with any substance. Plenty to go at and in the current situation with a totally morally and politically corrupt government, it should be easy. Sooner we get shut of both him and Boris the better.
Only 48percent, and then not in the massive consituencies that should be labour - but are not. Unless someone points out that since EU workers are not coming to UK, its possibly we need to find Turkish lorry drivers with visas instead.

Meanwhile Johnsons 40 new hospitals are being investigated, and Sunak resigned due to differences on Fiscal/Economic Policy.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Admit it, you're all waiting for Nadine Dorries to be promoted from a position she doesn't understand, to a job she can't do, in a department requiring skills she doesn't possess.

Newsthump
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Gone:
Andrew Murrison has resigned as Boris Johnson's trade envoy to Morocco. (Conservative MP for South West Wiltshire) . This must be one of the greatest non-jobs to be invented in Government !? (Shades of Bob Hope and Bing Crosby come to mind)

Gone
Bim Afolami, Conservative party's vice chair, has resigned (who ?) ( MP for Hitchin & Harpenden. One Nation Tory ) (resigned as Vice Chair , not MP !)

Ladbrokes suspends betting on Johnson being replaced as PM
Betting firm Ladbrokes Politics have just suspended betting on "when will Boris Johnson be replaced as prime minister?"

They have also tweeted that the odds have shortened to 7/1 (from 12/1) on a general election being held this year.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Big Kev wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 17:53 I'll bet a shiny shilling Boris is gone before lunch tomorrow.
I'll take it. :smile:

This the reincarnation of Winston Churchill we are dealing with here. He won't quit over a couple of 'terminological inexactitudes'. Rees Mogg has just said the PM is calmly carrying on and it's 'business as usual'.

Meanwhile who will accept the now vacant positions? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 19:10
Meanwhile who will accept the now vacant positions? :smile:
Heck, who is available for them?

Shapps to Health maybe , cannot be any worse. But Chancellor ? Maybe Pritti Patel is not such a stupid idea. (though the role does seem to be the suicide seat under Johnson)

More Going Now (presumably hoping for a step up under a new leader)
Saqib Bhatti, parliamentary private secretary to now former health secretary Sajid Javid, has resigned (as PPS)

In a statement on Twitter, he said: "The Conservative party has always been the party of integrity and honour but recent events have undermined trust and standards in public life." (his words, not mine !)

Jonathan Gullis, PPS to Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis.

Nicola Richards MP, a parliamentary private secretary in the Department of Transport, quits her role in government.
A fourth PPS, Virginia Crosbie, has resigned this evening. She was a parliamentary aide in the Wales Office
Last edited by Whyperion on 05 Jul 2022, 20:21, edited 2 times in total.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It would be a bit like taking on the post of Chief Navigator on the Titanic after it had struck the iceberg.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 19:17 It would be a bit like taking on the post of Chief Navigator on the Titanic after it had struck the iceberg.
In fairness the Navigator knew where they were going, were overruled by the captain on where the iceberg was going
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Boris's swan song ?.

There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight
And music and love and romance
Let's face the music and dance

Before the fiddlers have fled
Before they ask us to pay the bill
And while we still have the chance
Let's face the music and dance
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tripps wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 19:10 Meanwhile who will accept the now vacant positions?

Steve Barclay will be Health Secretary. Guido Fawkes still first with the news.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The latest unexpected and very surprising resignation from Downing Street.

► Show Spoiler
PS - Nadhim Zahawi is appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer. Good grief.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

PS - Nadhim Zahawi is appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer. Good grief.
And Michelle Donelan is the new secretary of education, replacing Nadhim Zahawi's old role.

This as Nadhim Zahawi becomes the new chancellor. = Either Genius on the part of Johnson or the worlds slowest car crash.

Looking forward to PMQs now. Its gone 10pm and Johnson Still going . Suggested holed below the waterline and if the enemies cannot bring him down, perhaps the friends may get the suggestion heard.

2216 BBC - Theo Clarke, the prime minister's trade envoy to Kenya, has just resigned.

Policy = In response to record inflation levels, Zahawi told LBC News in March that the only way to respond was by growing the economy as much as possible. (which feels like following Rees-Moggs re - tape cutting - like elimating restrictions on the hours workers can work)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well! What an exciting evening. You all know what's happened, HERE's the latest BBC list of who has done what.... Johnson is still saying he will go on but it's out of his hands now.
I offer you two thoughts. The only thing that gave him a majority of supporters in the Party was the belief he is the only one who could win them another election. Remember the main driver for the ordinary backbencher is the security of their job and pension.
In a way the same considerations drive Cabinet members but in their case if they stay on board they have to endorse the buffoon and the ones who have resigned have done so because they realise that if they stay they destroy any future career. Remember that there will be a Leadership contest....
The BBC list is useful because it clearly identifies the remainers who must by definition think that the Buffoon is their best friend and without him they are nothing.
I make an exception in the case of Rees Mogg, he is so arrogant he probably thinks that none of this touches him or damages his position.
Politics has suddenly become interesting.... :biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps made a good point the other day. Whenever things get a bit troublesome create a diversion. In this case it was when our drunken shirt lifter hit the headlines Out came Starmer's Beergate with some papers saying fines had been issued. Twitter's #Beergate speculating that it wasn't in the news because of a 'super injunction' that prevents it being reported on and that's why it isn't in the papers and nobody can talk about it but apparently there are a number of witnesses ready to testify in court.
Are the right-wing press ready to ditch the Big Dog greasy pig? If Beergate appears then the answer is NO.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”