POLITICS CORNER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

I'm listening to the World at One and losing track of Johnson's lies. For a start it looks as though he and the party have been caught with their fingers in the till as they have been fined £17,500 for not handling a donation properly. This is the decorations of the flat.
This man is a disgrace. When challenged on anything he simply tells a lie.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Partygate isn't going away. See THIS BBC report that Johnson's Press Officer spoke at the party when handing out certificates for good work.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS article by Lara Kuenssberg is worth reading. She asks about the state of 'Planet Boris'. You may have noticed that I don't like the use of Johnson's given name, it smacks of a familiarity I don't think he deserves.
I think Laura is on the right track but would add that we have become used to hearing of outrageous and even illegal behaviour and so the latest revelations don't have the same impact.
Peter Brookes is very close to the truth I think.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Talk about punching above your weight. This week has shown the UK threatening two of the most powerful countries in the world with 'do as I say or else'? Having detached ourselves from our European neighbours and lost more influence in the world we carry on with the delusion that we are a superpower able to tell others what to do. Of course this may be a case of sabre rattling and flag waving to cover up the Christmas parties debacle. The problem for our government is that in face of all the corruption and one rule for them etc. everything looks like a smokescreen to protect the prime Minister and the Conservative party.

REf:
Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, has warned that Russia would face “severe consequences” if it invaded Ukraine.

International Trade Secretary Anne-Marie Trevelyan told US officials that the UK was ready to increase existing tariffs on American products including whiskey, cosmetics and clothing.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Putin needn't rush to invade Ukraine, he can sit back and taunt us while watching the UK sink slowly into the mire. He can wait as we get increasingly weaker and distracted by our domestic political problems. It's a similar situation between China and the US over Taiwan. Why bother starting a war when your enemy is destroying itself?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Unfortunately Peter is spot on. I watch the news about Downing Street and parties and find that the idea that 'there is insufficient evidence' to decide whether there was a party or not in a building as heavily watched and guarded as Downing Street is an insult to the public intelligence.
The only explanation that fits is that the evidence has been held back by the Cabinet Office.
See THIS Latest report from the Sunday Mirror which shows Johnson evidently taking part in a Xmas Quiz in Downing Street. Apart from the minutiae of Covid restrictions and distancing, was a Xmas quiz the best thing to be participating in when people were dying in hospital and the country was in lockdown?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've put this in the Politics thread because it will ultimately become a political issue...
If anyone thought the Taliban had become less of a threat then they can think again. Having supplied the world with heroin, Afghanistan is now going to do the same for methamphetamine (`crystal meth') and the Taliban are turning a blind eye to it. They've found a different, local wild plant source and are making about 3000 kilograms a day in 500 local `factories'. Oh, and opium is booming too...
`Meth and heroin fuel Afghanistan drugs boom' LINK
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 04:30 Unfortunately Peter is spot on. I watch the news about Downing Street and parties and find that the idea that 'there is insufficient evidence' to decide whether there was a party or not in a building as heavily watched and guarded as Downing Street is an insult to the public intelligence.
The only explanation that fits is that the evidence has been held back by the Cabinet Office.
See THIS Latest report from the Sunday Mirror which shows Johnson evidently taking part in a Xmas Quiz in Downing Street. Apart from the minutiae of Covid restrictions and distancing, was a Xmas quiz the best thing to be participating in when people were dying in hospital and the country was in lockdown?
Was Johnson better at answering questions than he is at PMQs?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's strange isn't it Peter that after 20 years involvement by the 'free democracies' the only viable export of Afghanistan is still drugs.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

The Speaker of the HoC seemed miffed that the PM's message was to the nation was recorded from Downing Street, rather than presented (first) to the House of Commons. ( Remind me where the 1939 message from the PM about the state of war was broadcast from - that wasnt the king was it ?)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's going to a be a busy week in politics..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We know that the countries with Arctic coastlines are taking steps to strengthen their borders, mark out their territories and in some cases exploit the region but I hadn't realised that China is also making a grab for Arctic assets even though they have no coastline there. An example is that Canada has already had to block an attempt by a Chinese state-owned company to buy a gold mine in its Arctic region.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Picking a few recent By-election results. ( hardly representative with 500-1500 votes cast per ward, but indicative of what we all probably know) Conservative Support is staying at home , (and about 25percent of Tory last time are undecided in the polls), Labour not really gaining any kind of general support (but then Labour only needs support in about 90 main parliamentary constituencies to be the largest party in Westminster( assuming Scotland is about 97%SNP), Lib Dems have their 15% and Greens 5 to 8% of voting intentions.
Dec 2nd - Victoria (Newport) council by-elections LAB: 64.6% (+6.7) LDEM: 26.0% (+5.6) CON: 9.4% (-3.8) Labour HOLD.
Hermitage (Breckland) by-elections CON: 45.0% (-26.3) LDEM: 40.9% (+40.9) LAB: 12.2% (-16.5) Con HOLD.
Upper Lune Valley (Lancaster) by-election LDEM: 63.1% (+19.1) CON: 29.6% (-16.3) GRN: 3.9% (+3.9) LAB: 3.4% (-6.7) Liberal Dem GAIN from Con
Stalham (North Norfolk) by-election CON: 55.2% (+25.9) LDEM: 37.0% (-11.1) LAB: 7.8% (-0.2) No Grn (-14.6) as prev Con GAIN from Lib Dem
Hartfield (Wealden) by-election GRN: 55.8% (+12.7) CON: 44.2% (-12.7) Green GAIN from Con
Bare (Lancaster) by-election LDEM: 33.3% (+21.2) GRN: 23.4% (+23.4) MBI: 18.9% (-16.5) CON: 16.0% (-14.9) LAB: 8.3% (-9.1) Liberal Dem GAIN from Con
Hillside (Adur) by-election CON: 56.2% (-6.3) GRN: 23.7% (+17.1) LAB: 20.1% (-7.7) Cons HOLD.
Marine (Worthing) by-election LAB: 50.2% (+17.6) CON: 39.4% (-1.6) GRN: 5.9% (-3.7) LDEM: 4.5% (-3.8) Lab GAIN from Con No UKIP (-8.4) as prev.
Whitnash (Warwick) by-election result: Whitnash Residents Association HOLD
9th Dec 2021 Just a week later, a few interesting changes as Boris starts to implode over partying situation
Old Bracknell (Bracknell Forest) council by-election LAB: 61.1% (+23.2) CON: 38.9% (-9.3) Lab GAIN from Con No LDem (-13.9) as prev.
Anston & Woodsetts (Rotherham) by-election LDEM: 38.6% (+16.6) CON: 26.1% (-6.6) LAB: 20.3% (+0.4) Others 15%
Aughton & Swallownest (Rotherham) LAB: 49.8% (+10.2) CON: 38.3% (+6.1) GRN: 4.6% (+4.6) Others 7%
Castle (Tonbridge & Malling) by-election GRN: 59.3% (+36.0) CON: 36.8% (-7.3) LAB: 3.9% (-5.0) Green GAIN from Con No LDem (-23.6) as prev.
Kings Hill (Tonbridge & Malling) by-election CON: 59.3% (+12.2) IND: 25.3% (-9.3) LDEM: 15.3% (-3.0) Con HOLD.
West Malling & Leybourne (Tonbridge & Malling) by-election LDEM: 49.6% (+17.7) CON: 39.8%(+4.0) GRN:8.7%(+8.7)LAB:1.9%(-4.1 Lib Dem GAIN from Con
Northam (Torridge) by-election CON: 38.7% (+19.1) LDEM: 23.1% (+9.9) GRN: 22.5% (+22.5) LAB: 10.3% (-0.7)IND: 5.4% (+5.4) (Con win from an indy)

So from all of that, generally indicates that some kind of Progressive Alliance, with Labour yielding to Green or Lib Dem in some Tory places ( and Lib Dem to Lab in others) looks a way of getting tories out in the South West and The South East. Lib Dems doing well in Lancashire ( could be interesting ). Lab look to be rebuilding a red wall - though Rotherham after the mines have closed and well gone is a very diferent place 30 years on, and the council did have many problems in running education and social services - and the by-elections are in areas that really look to Sheffield.
There is probably some justification that the enlarged Sheffield City Region might be worth a single authority taking in some of Derbyshire and Rotherham, leaving an enlarged Barnsley and Doncaster to take on any remainder.

SNP could end up holding a balance of Power in Westminster, which will be interesting. I assume they would want a IndyRef to support Labour in at least a care and support package, Lab should agree I dont think Scotand would actually vote for independence from the UK. All hypothetical as a week is a long time in politics.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Peter, China are going to keep on pushing the boundaries for economic domination of as much of the world as they can. It's only a matter of time before they surpass the US as an economic power and it remains to be seen whether the hawks in the US will allow that to pass without a response. Then we'll have a special relationship with a loser....

See THIS for a BBC report on the vote3s in Parliament last night. The measures were passed but almost a hundred Tory MPs rebelled. Labour and the other opposition parties voted to support the government on the whole.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The Tory 'rebellion' is like shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic. The Tory party knows that Johnson is finished and its just a matter of time when they say enough is enough and bite the bullet to see if the voters are gullible enough to give them another term. This rebellion may be more about being able to say "well I was backing business" "please vote for me again". Meanwhile yet another Christmas party emerges complete with photo which is not real evidence unless they get a letter of complaint.
Xmas party 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I reckon the Tories need someone to blame for the failures in the pandemic management and also Brexit now that the chickens are coming home to roost! Who would actually want the job?

Bozo is the ideal candidate as he probably won't realise that he is being used as a patsy. If I am right they will keep him on until less folk are dying and we can see recovery from this particular pandemic. They will dress it all up as a victory of course. It depends how gullible the 40% are that actually bother to vote.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Normally views like the above would be regarded as jaundiced. It says something about the state our system of governance is in that, far from being jaundiced, they are accurate reporting.
I will say it again, our political system is broken, we need another one. (And not being governed through editorials in friendly newspapers.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I will say it again as well, some form of PR and compulsory voting. Both would need an intelligent debate though so will be resisted to maintain the status quo. The peasants like ourselves should have revolted long ago.
Ian
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

The problem is the peasants want a number of disparate things, at least the rulers know what they want
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The tension mounts - The polls are shut, and the N Shropshire count has started. The betting has been all over the place for a two runner race. They say it's very close. I noticed that the Liberals have thrown everything they have at the campaign - including Councillor David Whipp out canvassing last Sunday. Shorts and all ! If it was based on effort - that should have won it for them. :smile:

The Tory's CV must be unique - he was a doctor who had been in the Army as a surgeon and who then went on to be a barrister - you don't see many of them. He's a foreigner though - (from Birmingham).

(PS - I'm very rarely right in such matters, but I think the Tories will hold on.)
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No result yet but LibDems forecast a comfortable win. This could be the implosion of what has been called 'Planet Boris.
03:50. Lib Dem candidate Helen Morgan arrives at by-election count.
04;25. Just listened to the North Shropshire by election result a bit of history I think. The Tories have held the seat for over a century. At the last election in 2019 they had a 23,000 majority. Helen Morgan, the LibDem candidate has won the seat with 17.957 votes. The Conservative barrister from Birmingham got 12.032 votes.
I think that's a fairly clear message for PM Johnson and his party.
I think I am quite happy...... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps...(PS - I'm very rarely right in such matters, but I think the Tories will hold on.) and so did I but I got the inflation bit right.

The question is how much lipstick will their next choice need. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ken, I think the question is can he recognise what's happened and change his approach. I don't think he can, he will make the same mistakes again and try to harrumph himself out of trouble.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 09:54 , he will make the same mistakes again and try to harrumph himself out of trouble.
Great imagery.

I can't help comparing Mr Johnson with Katy Price (banned from driving 5 times)- both in the last chance saloon yesterday. Both given a very very final final final warning. Both walking away from court quietly chuckling. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Boris Johnson blamed his party's defeat on a "constant litany of stuff about politics and politicians" in the media in recent weeks (someone can put that in quote of the day/week/year as I dont read that one)

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”