Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Stanley »

I saw THIS report.
Not a good start to the week.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:12 I saw THIS report.
Not a good start to the week.
Best quote in that story, in my opinion, came from Ed Davey "Businesses are crying out for clarity. Instead, all they got was Boris Johnson rambling on about Peppa Pig".
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That apology for a politician is getting paid to run the country.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 13:55 That apology for a politician is getting paid to run the country.......
I already put that video on the thread - that's the problem when you're the last post on a page. :smile: I't's really the most remarkable thing. It's time for the Black Spot to be delivered, and the bottle of whisky and the revolver. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 11:34 People say President Biden has 'lost it'. I'd say this from the PM was enough to make him consider his position - or sack some most of his SPADS

Look at this - not a good look on a Monday morning. Did he really say 'supersonic rail links'? :laugh5:
Yes he did and skills,skills,skills. Maybe he should try to train for the skill of cohesive speaking. :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for that Ian. Worth posting twice. I think (and hope), he won't live that down, and we may be at a turning point. I don't use the direct Youtube facility a lot as it takes up so much space, but worth it here. Problem is - what's the alternative? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I tried to watch it to the end on the grounds that you must know the enemy .... I couldn't. it made me so angry.
This clip will be played all over the world. Makes you proud to be British?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 14:50 Thanks for that Ian. Worth posting twice. I think (and hope), he won't live that down, and we may be at a turning point. I don't use the direct Youtube facility a lot as it takes up so much space, but worth it here. Problem is - what's the alternative? :smile:
I put the YouTube link in specifically so that it would display the frame which is a lot more helpful than just a non descriptive string or "Link" etc. For URL's if you are going to type a non descriptive "Link" why not actually insert what the URL is about?

As to whether it's a turning point, from what I have read the potential back stabbers in the Tory party still think the sun shines out of his proverbial. I find that very hard to believe, maybe they have no one better. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This is the BBC's report on his CBI speech. LINK
Note the last two sentences: But later, before heading back to Downing Street, the PM gave an interview to a reporter, who simply asked: "Is everything OK?". Mr Johnson said he thought people had "got the vast majority of the points" he wanted to make and that the speech "went over well".

The "got the vast majority of the points" and the "went over well" are exactly the comments Donald Trump used to make even though he'd made a diabolical speech and embarrassed his audience. Boris is turning into Trump.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw the clip when he said that Peter. Think back to the clip of him cleaning the chair, I think he is marginally better at that than speechmaking. The only time I have ever heard a coherent sentence in his speeches is when they have been written for him.
See THIS BBC report on the Commons vote last night. The government scraped through but the Lords are almost certain to send it back. When leading figures in the debate like Andrew Dilnot criticise a measure it's time to take notice. Another U Turn in the making?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Screenshot_20211123-132756_Facebook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You do right to ridicule Johnson Kev. I can't wait for the political memoirs to come out!
I have a suspicion that the bottom line is he is simply lazy and his 'waffle' mode of speaking when answering questions is to try to obscure the fact that he doesn't know what he is talking about because he has ignored the briefing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Mirror report of criticisms of the Home Office by the Home Affairs Select Committee. They say that Priti Patel should be stripped of responsibility for the Windrush compensation scheme, after a "litany of flaws" was identified in the way her department operates. The cross-party Committee said the scheme should be transferred to an independent organisation to increase trust and encourage more applications. The MPs said the design of the scheme contained the same "bureaucratic insensitivities" that led to the Windrush scandal in the first place, which was a "damning indictment of the Home Office".
In other words Theresa May's hostile environment policy is still in place. It is a shocking indictment of the way the government regards immigrants.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 05:38 The cross-party Committee said the scheme should be transferred to an independent organisation to increase trust and encourage more applications.
All the more reason to get rid of these cross-party committees. Far better to have them under direct control of No10. That way they will decide if it is reasonable or not. Don't forget that the Buffoon himself is in line for investigation. The Peppa Pig fiasco appears to be part of the plot along with Frost's article 16 withdrawal threat to turn peoples thoughts away from politics and 'let them get on with it'. As Dominic Cumming's said "people will forget all these events and promises in three days time" so you can use them over and over again as jam tomorrow. One thing is certain under this cloud of Buffoonery is that the NHS will continue to deteriorate to a point of being fully privatised.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The cartoon animal metaphors are in vogue with our leaders at the moment. On Today this morning Dominic Raab referred to Boris as being Tigger-ish! LINK He also accused the British public (twice) of indulging in too much `self-flagellation' - as he doesn't know what misogyny means I wonder if he knows what self-flagellation means? :extrawink: And this is the man who serves as Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Secretary of State for Justice and Lord Chancellor. Perhaps he's now also the Lord High Commissioner for Banishing Self-Flagellation.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard Raab on Today Peter and was enraged by the tone of his responses to questions. According to him the 'Tiggerish' Johnson is doing a fine job. I too wondered about the flagellation remark. As far as I am concerned there isn't enough of it as far as incompetent politicians are concerned. Of course he has to be a Johnson booster, it was Johnson who rescued him from political death and gave him all these titles. He will grovel and fawn for BJ as long as he is told to.
The Raab interview was only the latest in a parade of Tory witnesses to the fact that we are in a wonderful world where the economy is booming, unemployment is falling and we will shortly emerge into the sunlit uplands of a post Brexit world. All the evidence to the contrary (and there is a lot of it) is ignored as Frost blights the exit protocol and inflation and interest rates mount. I'm afraid we are in for a very rocky ride.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 05:38 Home Affairs Select Committee. They say that Priti Patel should be stripped of responsibility for the Windrush compensation scheme, after a "litany of flaws" was identified in the way her department operates.
And everything else too I'd say. It's time we understood that it's what she does (or doesn't do) that matters - not what she says. I suspect that for her everything is going smoothly according to plan.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to agree David. I don't think she has changed much since she was sacked for pursuing her own foreign policy in the Middle East. When I heard she was having 'productive' talks with the French yesterday I thought "Oh no. Here we go again.", next there is going to be an announcement about more money for the French and 'push back', both failed initiatives.
I don't trust her or Sunak, I think they are both chancers out for themselves. I know this applies to Johnson as well but somehow he isn't as slimy as they are. There's a Warwickshire word for it, 'sleary'.
Later.... PM Johnson says that mortality of immigrants could be lowered if France took them all back. Nice! That'll please the French as it make it sound as though the deaths are down to the French. Does he really expect France to agree to this? Or is he just setting up an argument to make later on that France didn't do enough.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Breaking news that Priti Patel has been barred from interviews with the authorities. It seems that the French are objecting strongly to Johnson's letter saying they should take all the migrants back. Surprise surprise......
Later... Grant Shapps is trying to polish a t**d on Today. Sickening to listen to.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I hear that `Johnson's letter' was actually a Twitter post, not a letter and that has infuriated the French too. Now, which other leader do we know who made his announcements on Twitter?
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Why do I get the impression that the surge in asylum seekers has been raised to 'crisis' level when it was obvious that when you close off all the land based options the only way is then by a dangerous sea crossing. The immigrant issue is small beer compared to the affect of Brexit on supply chains, inflation and the Buffoons move towards a PM dictatorship. Dragging the French into a problem largely of our own making is typical of this governments tactics of shifting the responsibility onto others when the root cause is the extreme ideology of taking full control and none of the blame. The whole episode looks like a smokescreen to detract from more pressing issues. Peppa Pig strikes again.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Spot on once again Ken and yes it all looks like distraction technique, have you noticed that there has been no mention of the shortage of drivers, butchers and vets and no report of how many took up the offer of a visa?
Peter, I realised later it was a Tweet.... Ah yes, the orange doorknob.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later.... the French are incandescent over the Johnson tweet on migration. Quite properly they say that important matters should not be conducted in public like this. Priti is banned from the weekend summit.... :biggrin2:
No. 10 won't admit that the tweet was a mistake.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report on the row with France after Johnson's tweet. Downing Street see nothing wrong with megaphone diplomacy but France believes it was done that way to get to the Tory Party as Johnson's Brexit promise of controlling migration is obviously not working. (Handy to be able to blame the French when the shit hits the fan......)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Macron and the EU countries still do their diplomacy in the old fashioned way. Meanwhile No10 has developed a system that bypasses normal rules and even parliament with briefings from a No10 source directly to favourable right-wing journalists. The public is then swamped by this biased information to make sure they are thinking along the right lines. The Buffoon is now following the Orange top's (Trump) lead by adding Facebook and Twitter to the propaganda portfolio. Both the asylum seekers and the fishing problem have been blown out of all proportion with their true effect on the UK compared with the oven ready Brexit deal. It has been said before the UK is heading towards a No10 fascist dictatorship which should be stopped in its tracks as quickly as possible.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”