POLITICS CORNER

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Big Kev »

Screenshot_20220530-131223_Facebook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Add leaded petrol and cars without seat belts to Kev's list... :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Like all con men the government is using any means available to misdirect the voters and turn their minds away from the realities. These realities are the fact that Johnson has used simple plain lies and denials to mislead Parliament and has changed the rules so that this is not an automatic Red Card. Forget all the flim flam, it's as simple as that.
When we get these mis-directions just go back to basics and remember the woman who told her story yesterday. Sent home by the hospital after being told the foetus in her belly was dead and they had no bed for her. At home she felt unwell and miscarried while sat on the lavatory. When she rang the hospital they told her they couldn't help her and advised her to put the foetus in the fridge and try again the next day. That's what 12 years of austerity has done to our hospitals and don't let them forget it!
See THIS for yet another letter going in asking Johnson to resign. The reason i9s always given as Partygate but should really be for the sake of women like the lady I detailed above. I have been saying for ten years that the Big Project was always to drag the country back into 19th century laisser faire country where the poor were firmly under the heel of the rich. That's what we are looking at now. What next, the workhouses for the homeless and evicted?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did anyone listen to the segment on Today this morning where they were discussing the possibility of giving free school meals to all children during both term time and holidays to make sure children were fed. A woman told her story, she is married and has an eight year old son, both she and her husband are in work and they are in receipt of Income Credit. Her income is so low that she is only just surviving and is looking at the energy costs in October and is terrified that they won't be able to survive.
This is in the fifth most wealthy economy in the world (Is this still the case?) Another example of what the Tories have done to us. (I've just been listening to people talking about the shambles that is applying for a passport... and that also is a disgrace.)
Am I whingeing too much?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

No, under the circumstances that this excuse for a government has got us into we should be shouting as loud as we can with whatever means we have available to us. Bloody good job we don't have guns!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Ian....I shall carry on whingeing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

BTW... The focus now is on how many letters have gone in to the 1922 Committee. I think that's a waste of time, they won't get rid of him that way but it makes for easy content in the news.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The way we are going, I think that there is a very strong chance that eventually the ballot box will not do the job. Unless of course a lot of the current non voters get their act together and do something about it. Failing that, what alternatives are left for getting rid of a corrupt government?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ideally it should be the constitution but we haven't got one. Perhaps that is deliberate to allow behaviour like we see now. Let's have a written constitution......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Boris is planning another bonfire of EU rules. He does this every time he's in deep sh*t. Will we see him storming off to Brussels piling their parchments up and setting fire to them? not a bit of it, what he means is the rules that our parliament agreed to when we were in the Common market will come under fire. Not EU rules but our rules. All in the interest of transparency which we will learn about all in good time when the checks and balances together with working conditions, food standards are removed.

Carrie Johnson's email. "I'm with the Gays" is one of those Alice in Wonderland parties that apparently never took place and nobody is interested in because we, the Royal we, are bored with it. Just when the LGBTQ+ is being given its place in society the so called top educated people have given it a News of the World headline that will set their cause back years. Each day it becomes clearer that these lords of the universe live in a different world to the rest of us where rules are to be ignored and anything approaching respect to others and common decency don't apply to them.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Time was when our phrase 'Lords of the Universe' was reserved for the lord high panjandrums of the financial world. I think Ken is right, it should be used for anyone who sets themselves above normal standards. At the moment that includes many politicians.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Politics is on hold smothered by tradition and Jubilee.... Except for Priti 'Orrible telling anti Johnson back benchers they are a side show. If they are such a side show why bother to recognise them? Whether they succeed or not, the number of dissenting MPs is an embarrassment and a political death knell. Theresa May demonstrated that, she 'won' her vote and only survived for a year.
Did you see the news that Prince Andrew won't be able to attend the Queen's Jubilee thanksgiving service on Friday, Buckingham Palace has said. Prince Andrew tested positive after a routine test and will miss the service "with regret", the palace said. (LINK)
Hmmm... how convenient....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 03:27 Did you see the news that Prince Andrew won't be able to attend the Queen's Jubilee thanksgiving service on Friday, Buckingham Palace has said. Prince Andrew tested positive after a routine test and will miss the service "with regret", the palace said. (LINK)
Hmmm... how convenient....
Screenshot_20220603-102509_Facebook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The debate within the the Conservative party must be reaching Shrodinger's cat proportions. Voting one way or the other will produce a 'is he dead or alive' result. Running through the options we get.

Dead or alive.

How safe is my seat Will I still have a job?
If I look like losing my seat will I be better off in the long run by opposing him.
Will the right-wing Conservatives collapse so will I be better off as a moderate.
Will Johnson take revenge on me if he survives.
If the economy collapses can I get on the gravy train.

What about the effect on the county? Who cares.???
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Unfortunately Ken I suspect that for many of the Tory back benchers that is exactly the thought process. If a majority of them favoured ditching Johnson they could do it but nobody expects this to happen due to a vote for Leader.
In real life, the fact is that Johnson is actually dead in the water. 'winning' a leadership vote will avail him nothing. Sooner or later he has to go and what remains to be seen is how brass necked he is in clinging on. Expect him to imitate a leech and bugger the Tory's chances at the next General Election.
Twelve years ago I said that Cameron's 'big idea' for the Tories, the plan to get back to the good old days of the 19th century, was doomed to eventual failure. This is what is happening, Cameron and Osborne sowed the seeds of disaster with their policies and the Brexiteers finished the job off for them. Untold damage has been done to UK PLC which will take decades to repair, if ever!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tension mounts as speculation about the number of letters of 'No Confidence' that may have reached Sir Graham Brady's office hits the headlines. The Cabinet is pressing for those rebels, read traitors, to withdraw their letters. Wait until the results of the West Yorkshire and Devon by-elections come in. Tin Can kicked down the road. Events dear boy, events. Starmer may be fined. The Queen may die, can't change horses mid stream. Get Sunak to make some vague promises about benefit relief for the hard working poor but don't call them underclass otherwise they may start voting. That would never do. Repeat after me Boris Johnson is an ASS-et. Get Jacob Rees-Mogg to claim that the UK is leading the world on inflation something that we couldn't have done if we had remained in the common market. Lets move on there's a lot of work to do before we reach the bottom of the abyss of decline.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard one very senior Tory say that he thought the requisite number of letters had already been received but it would be 'bad form' to initiate a leadership contest in the middle of Brenda's birthday party......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm listening to the meaningless chatter of MPs condemning or supporting Johnson. It's all interesting and 'news' but eventually means nothing. The 1922 vote will take place tonight between 18:00 and 20:00 and Johnson will win it. So did May..... Watch this space....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Teflon Boris...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Vote of no-confidence. No predictions just a comment.

The Rt Hon Grant Shapps was appointed Secretary of State for Transport on 24 July 2019.

Andrew Stephenson was appointed Minister of State at the Department for Transport on 13 February 2020.

If Boris Johnson falls and someone with a bit more nous becomes Prime Minister it could be that some of the gravy train (pun intended) jobs are shunted to one side.

I wonder which way our man will vote?

Later.
Do you have confidence in Boris Johnson as leader of the Conservative party.

Yes... 211
No....148
Majority ... 63

Lets move on. :sad:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

He may well have won the vote but the PCP are shocked by the level of dissent. They imagined a possibility of three figures but not to level that it turned out. This is damaging as four in ten of Tory MP's don't support him.

A4A Stephenson's position was a given, he had already announced that he would be in support. No surprises there.

One Tory commentator tonight has predicted a change of leader before their annual conference. If that is the case he will be gone by September at the latest. Always look on the bright side. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Can't resist it.... I told you so!!
"Mr Johnson described his confidence vote win as "decisive". Striking an upbeat tone, he said it was a "very good", "convincing" result and "an opportunity to put behind us all the stuff that the media goes on about"."
Dream on Kid, what the vote demonstrated is that he has split the Tory Party down the middle and he will not survive the summer.
Significant that Nadine Dorries cracked and vented her spleen towards Jeremy Hunt, there is more poison lurking beneath the surface and as the possible candidates for leadership start their campaigns there will be a backlash in the Party.
By October, the number of people, inside Parliament and out, who are enraged by Johnson will have increased and the worse the inflation and cost of living crisis gets the closer he comes to being ousted. He lost his authority abroad when he started to renege on international treaties, he is losing it here now. Bye bye Boris! (And a good chance of the Tories losing an election. Question is, who have we got to contest it for us.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later.... I am having the dubious pleasure of listening to the words of wisdom tumbling from Mr Raab's lips....
You all know what he's saying.
My advice to Labour is to leave Johnson alone, give him as much rope as he needs to hang himself. As things stand he is the best asset the Opposition has and he'll make sure the Tories are unelectable for at least ten years.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've just heard him referred to as the greased piglet :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Johnson let the press into the Cabinet Meeting yesterday so he could get his message out without any questions afterwards. Listening to him was a surreal experience because he is evidently in a parallel universe where everything is normal and the Tory government is functioning well.
Have you noticed that all the 'problems' they are itching to 'solve' stem directly from failed Tory policies starting in 2010? They introduced austerity and walked away from any policy which meant them having to take responsibility.
It says a lot about the state we are in when a direct promise like "I have a plan to fix Social Care" can simply be forgotten, that one policy failure alone should be enough to bring this rotten government down. We have multiple examples of failures like that and Johnson stands there yesterday saying they are going to do all the things that need doing. Really....?
We are in for a rough summer and there are going to be some nasty surprises. Tin hats on Lads!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”